Monster Classification

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Colonel Aris Park, do you copy?" Aris then pressed his earphone and answered calmly, "Yes."

"Three zombies breached the west side of the perimeter. Based on your location, you're the nearest to the west trail, do you confirm?"

"That's affirmative." He answered.

"One of our men is missing and one of the privates was bitten. We have contacted captain Yoongi and the rest of your team to aid you right now. Please order all the privates near your location to go back to base ASAP. And colonel, take care of the breach."

"Copy that. Consider it done. Over." Aris said before he finally steps forward.

Chaeyoung was the first one to notice another presence lurking in the dark and when she focused on that direction, she immediately recognized his built, especially those ears that stick out.

"The test is over, rendezvous back to base immediately," Aris ordered sternly which had the rest of the men surprised with his appearance out of nowhere, and it surprised especially those who Chaeyoung had just beaten down.

"Three of you, come with me." He ordered, deep voice piercing against the silence of the night.  

"Captain!" Chaeyoung called out, lifting her goggles from her eyes over to her forehead, looking directly at him as the crimson shade from the flare lighted her sight. Aris looked at her, waiting for what she has to say while the members of the Rescue Corps groaned while standing back on their feet.

She wanted to go with him but she can't defy a direct order. But if he allows her to... she just needs to ask. 

"I... I want to see..." 

Aris' brows furrowed tightly. 

Depending on the mission, he usually assembles his team based on their skills. He had personally tested each member of his squad, carefully noting later on each skill set per person, judging if they'll be efficient enough to face these ghouls. And based on what he witnessed, Chaeyoung Park could take on a class 2. That is if she wouldn't chicken out at first sight of these monsters. 

These zombies were classified into three kinds. 

The first class is what they call the Rotter: the living corpses who are already decaying or as the name describes -- the ghouls that are rotting away. These monsters can no longer run as fast as a wanderer can since their bodies are already wasting away. It is the most common zombie and is easier to kill since they're also not as strong anymore. It has been fifteen years since the breakout yet there's still those corpses that thrived through time. 

Then, there is what they call the Wanderer which is the second classification. These were recently deceased either killed without a damaged central nervous system or bitten by another ghoul only to suffer a horrible death as the body dies and later on reanimates. It can run as fast and as still as strong as living human but is too engrossed by hunger and the need to feed. This class is slightly difficult to kill especially since most of these bodies had been members of the Rescue Corps who unfortunately turned to ghouls or those survivors who lived outside the safety of the walls who had to develop stronger bodies through the need to survive.

Lastly, the class 3 and the most recent class of ghoul the military had announced, the Anomaly. These are exceptional ghouls with heightened speed and strength. Little is still known how they gain these feats from those usual ghouls. 

Aris and Yoongi are the only captains to encounter the first Anomaly and Aris was the one who killed it by decapitation. Driving a bullet or a blade on its head will not kill the abomination based on the witnesses. This is why Aris had lost a few men from his team and Yoongi's. The survivors from the said encounter witnessed how Aris was almost bitten before he swung his blade with everything he's got.

But despite killing the abomination, a bite and even a scratch from this monster would immediately change the victim into a class 2 within seconds versus the 48-hour period of change when bitten by the normal zombie.

This is why the military encouraging more people into the Rescue Corps and is opening more spots on the teams. Research Division of the military requires them to capture a living sample to study why such anomaly appeared after fifteen years of fighting only two classes. They wanted to find out the cause of the theorized mutation of the virus and maybe, find a cure

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter