Getting Encouraged

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You know why you're all here... The courage test..." Gong Yoo says above the platform with the rest of the captains once again as his eyes wander on the sea of the new private military contractors hopeful to become a part of their regiment. All the newbies were wearing their academy training uniforms whereas the whole Rescue Corps was wearing all black, complete with armor and their own weapons. 

All the newbies noticed this and they were rattled with anxiety. They realized this is not gonna be the same test as they had countless times back in the academy. The Rescue Corps were all armed so this must mean a very difficult test.

"We will all do this until the sun brings the light back to the horizon, so I hope you had fully prepared yourselves. 

You will be group together with 10 members. All of you are free to choose a team leader. Three groups will compete at a time and the first team who's able to find the flag we've hidden deep in the forest. 

All of you will be given a training weapon of your choice and 40 rounds of a paintball gun. The rules are simple, stay alive and save your bullets. Execute the mission with stealth. 

However, you will have adversaries along the way. Each member of the rescue corps will pose as the monster you all fear. You can fight them, hit them if you will and they will fight back and if they think your skill is enough to have to immobilize a zombie for good, then, they will let you go. Shall you win, you will have the privilege to choose any of my team they prefer. But as I've said yesterday, that is if the captains chose you as well." The general continued which had most newbies confused especially about defending themselves.

"Why would you give us the bullets if we're gonna save them, General Gong?" One of the privates asked. 

"You should all know this since you chose the Rescue Corps -- noise isn't gonna help you... mastery of stealth is our priority so we could accomplish the mission much faster. Making too much noise attracts zombies. If you use your guns too much, you'll create a horde for yourself before you even know it." He answered, losing the smile he had on his face. 

"General Gong, Sir, there's no forest inside the military base, right?" Another private questioned. 

"No, there isn't." Gong Yoo answered, wearing a smirk on his face and carefully watches the reaction on the faces of the people in front of him, whispering words of anxiety and fear to each other. 

The new contractors now know that the courage test will not be held in the Rescue Corps' base, but outside the safety of the wall under the darkness of the night. 

"B-but... is that safe?" Another questioned. 

"Those who are afraid to set foot outside the walls, you may leave now." He stated. "You will be of use to other regiments, but not in the Rescue Corps if you're afraid of what's outside. I know some of you chose us because we're highly paid, but money is of no use now. Your responsibility comes with risking your life to save others. If money is what you came here for, then leave."

Despite the warning and the obvious hazard, none of the newbies left. Leaving right now would be shameful and it's better to try than to be called a coward for the rest of their lives by the colleague they will leave if the walk away. Despite the fear, those who are afraid tried calming themselves down with a prayer while others who can't seem to do so were comforted by another. 

Chaeyoung tries to control her breathing as her heart was racing the moment she heard of that particular word - forest. It's been fifteen years since she was outside those walls. She would be fooling herself if she denies being afraid. 

There's only one forest and it's south of the wall which is near the Rescue Corps' base. It's one of the declared safe zones but she knew better -- no place is safe outside the walls. 

"Courage comes with fear. Without fear, you won't be able to gain courage." Aris spoke which gained everyone's attention, especially Chaeyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter