Chocolate Bar

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Chaeyoung!" Ryujin ran the moment she saw the person she couldn't wait to see who's now entering the gate. However, Ryujin didn't hesitate to scowl at the tall man walking beside Chaeyoung despite his superiority. 

Aris noticed her and did not miss that look on her face which had him surprised, looking sideways in confusion. 

Ryujin welcomed Chaeyoung back with the tightest embrace. However, a sudden horrid smell came between them as the shorter girl pushes her off gently only to scowl again on the smell lingering on other's clothes.  

"Ugh... what the is that?" Ryunjin asked, looking at Chaeyoung's clothes, noticing black streaks of unknown liquid on it. When Jeaehyun followed, he immediately smelt a whiff of the horrid stench that almost made him barf before taking a step away which from the two that somehow offended Chaeyoung internally. 

"Wow... thanks for worrying... I just killed two rotters and I guess I made a mess of myself. Sorry for being careless." She nonchalantly stated while rolling her eyes at the same time. 

"Whoa! Two?" Jaehyun hooted, eyes widening while looking impressed at the same time but was still covering his nose. 

"Chaeyoung..." Aris called softly which she immediately turned, looking up at him.

"Why don't you clean yourselves first then come to the general's office. I need you for the briefing." He continued which had Chaeyoung's jaw drop open. She didn't expect to face the general this early in her career. 

She quickly nodded before running off back to their dorms, leaving Aris with Jaehyun who was smiling at him and Ryujin who looked at him with a resting face. Both these two were standing upright, waiting for him to dismiss them as well. He's a colonel, after all. 

A sigh escaped Aris's lips as he is not one for too much courtesy especially when he's feeling tired. But the embroidered silver spread eagle on his chest requires those ranked lower than him to pay the courtesy he earned. 

"As you were." He muttered in which the two responded with a salute before walking towards the dorms.

The test has been postponed due to these unexpected events and all the applicants will be waiting for further announcements. 

Yoongi then spotted Aris walking towards the main post for the briefing, "Aris... you okay?" He asked to which the taller nodded in response. 

"Heard you killed a class 2 transfiguring to a class 3..." He added, now walking beside him.

"It's just an assumption... I wasn't able to recognize the face of that man if he was indeed one of ours but he was wearing our uniform. I can't risk everyone to hunt ghouls inside the forest when a class 3 could be out there." He answered. 

"I see... well, it's safe to say that a horde is near the forest. My men killed 5 rotters near the northeast tower."

"No class 2?" Aris asked, looking at Yoongi with brows all furrowed. 

"None..." Yoongi answered, shaking his head gently.

There was a silence between them before the shorter guy asks again, "You think those zombies are being controlled by a class 3? I mean, we killed a total of 7 rotters around the perimeter... it's as if they're just waiting there despite the offly loud noise from the flare. Have you seen a rotter completely pinned to where it stands? Plus, there were a lot of us out there hunting for those ghouls, why didn't a class 3 attack if it's just lurking out there?" 

"I don't know... But we can try to assume those rotters are indeed being controlled." Aris answered, looking on ahead the path to the main post.

When Jaehyun and Ryujin reached the dorms, Chaeyoung was about to leave, all cleaned up. 

"Yow! Are you okay?" Jaehyun asked. 

"I'm still a bit shaken up but... I'm okay." She replied, forcing a smile. 

"I don't think we should continue applying for this regiment. The test has been postponed, it's a blessing in disguise. We can pull our applications out tomorrow." Ryujin blurted out seriously which made the smile on Chaeyoung's face disappear. She had been thinking of it especially when Chaeyoung did not came back after everyone was called back in.

Chaeyoung signed but forced a smile again, "I don't think I'd be applying for another regiment other than the Rescue Corps. But you're free to choose otherwise, Ryujin. I'll support you with your decision. You know why I choose this job. I know you're afraid. And I am too. But I can only do my best, hope for the best and not get killed." She then chuckles in the end.

"I'm not suggesting this because I'm afraid... well, I am but not for myself." Ryujin retorted back.

"I'm not afraid." Jaehyun interrupted, raising his right hand up.

"I understand. But I trained to be a soldier of the regiment I chose and I'll see through it until the end." Chaeyoung softly smiles before inhaling in deep, "Let's do our best!"

Chaeyoung then hastened back to the main post, leaving Ryujin with Jaehyun who then stretches his hands up before yawning, "Imma go sleep." 

Chaeyoung then found Aris outside the colonel's office, waiting for her. "I'm sorry, captain." She apologized, trying to catch her breath.

"Took you long enough." He replied with a gentle smirk, "All clean now?" 

"Yes, sir!" Chaeyoung answered enthusiastically. Aris' smirk grew into a smile but sighs a second later, "Before we enter, I want you to know that you're officially on my team now." 

The revelation had Chayoung's breath hitching and eyes widening in surprise, unsure of what to reply as she didn't expect she really could make it to his team because she froze in front of a zombie. She especially did not expect this news since she was trying to recall everything that had happened outside the wall and how she'll deliver this as a report to the general.

But before she could smile widely, Aris continues, "... you need to report everything you observed... You also need to know that everything that will be discussed inside this room will remain inside this room, understood?"

"Yes, captain." She answered softly. 

When Aris opened the door, Chaeyoung was greeted by serious stares coming from all the captains of the Rescue Corps who were standing around the table. Then, there was the brigadier general whose arms were across his chest. 

The scenery totally had Chaeyoung frozen. But then, she felt a nudge on her shoulder by Aris who urges her to walk forward. There were a few personnel sitting on the sides in front of a computer but she instantly knew she's clearly on the lowest ranks. 

"Specialist Chaeyoung Park." Gong Yoo called, smiling widely in greeting, "I received reports from Aris and the rest of the Rescue Corps that you performed outstandingly out here. Welcome to the Rescue Corps..." 

"Yea, thanks to you, one of my men wears a neck brace." Yoongi scoffs which made Aris smirk beside the girl. 

"Thank you, Sir." Chaeyoung shyly smiled.

"I hope that's the kind of attitude you'd show when you're faced with adversity, especially the adversity you faced today. Can I count on you, Chaeyoung?" Gong Yoo asked. 

"Yes, Sir!" She enthusiastically proclaimed like how a newbie would.

Gong Yoo nodded before his smile faded changing it with a serious face on, "Now then, I need you to tell me what you witnessed. How you came to the conclusion that there's an Anomaly out there."

"Based on my experience, that wan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter