The Pure Crimson

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I still can't believe you got in first before me... I'm proud of you, Chaey. But it should've been me..." Jaehyun stated as he pats Chaeyoung's head who's still wearing the uniform he aims to be wearing first. He wasn't hesitant to voice out his bitterness but nevertheless, he's proud of his friend. He's competitive in nature but there are just things you can't do anything about if fate's favor is directed towards another. 

Chaeyoung came back around 18:00 hours since she was dispatched out daybreak. There wasn't much left to investigate especially when the zombie Aris killed was nowhere to be found. They only found the trails of blood heading north but the trail went cold a click from where it was stabbed. Aris took a sample of the blood's remnants intending to give it first to Jin.

She can't tell Jaehyun and Ryunjin everything about the investigation but they weren't insistent in knowing either. They knew these kinds of operations is confidential.

"If Ryujin and I got accepted, do you think we'll also be assigned directly to the colonel as well? I want to see him do some cool stuff, you know... the rumors about him are exciting to witness." Jaehyun said, shrugging. 

"You applied for him so I guess he will take on newbies since he took me in... Also, I think everyone who got promoted came from his direct team."  Chaey answered.

"I hope so. I want to be captain... really bad." The guy replied. 

"But did you see him in action... are the rumors true?"  Ryujin asked while helping the other girl fold some of her clothes for her transfer. It's been going on for some time now that the rumors even reached the academy. Aris skills were said to be above what military offers in training. Even if skills were mostly acquired through experience, rumors said Aris' skill set was already polished when he entered the academy.

"Honestly, I don't know... I was frozen in the instant that class 2 attacked." Chaeyough sighed after answering him. 

"Well then, let's see for ourselves tomorrow during the test. I'm pretty sure he'll come at us, Ryujin." Jaehyun confidently stated as he leaned back against the bed with both hands resting behind his head. 

After packing everything necessary for the transfer, Chaeyoung drove herself to the crimson quarters where she was then spotted Joy who gasped as soon as she saw those cheeks, "Oh my God! I knew you could make it to Crimson!" Joy exclaimed as she runs where the other girl was parked before greeting each other with the tightest hug. 

Joy was her senior and they were close. Despite only having a few hours of talk during an assembly that was only held once, they kept track of each other's performance and Chaey was proud when Joy got accepted to the team she applied for 2 years ago. Chaeyoung was not able to express her pride for her senior with every news of promotion since they never saw each other again since the assembly. Joy was one of the few people she quickly felt comfortable with. 

However, Chaeyoung's eyes were caught by how her new home looks. This square, concrete building is all red and the name it was given suits it well. 

"So, Crimson... because it's red?" Chaeyoung asked which made the other chuckle, "Yeah and because we bathe in blood. True story. Every day we bathe in Zs blood. Crimson is better than Stinkers because you know how those ghouls stink. The team thought the initial nickname is a cringe so they changed it."

"What was the squad's first name?" the younger asked.

Joy sighed, rolling her eyes at the same time as she answered, "Bloody Bucket. It's the general's idea."

"Oh... Crimson is a lot better." Chaey chuckled with her reply.

Joy then helps her with a few stuff they can carry and was about to enter the quarters when the door opened for them, revealing Aris on the other side who's already wearing casual clothes, much to Chaeyoung's surprise since it's her first time to see him wearing casual clothes; a round neck, plain black shirt partnered with a grey trouser pants tucked in his black leather boots.  

"You're here." He stated, looking at Chaeyoung before turning his gaze to Joy who was all smiles. He wore no expression at all with his greeting so Joy decided to comment about it.

"He's brooding most times but you'll get used to it." Joy stated, intending to superior which he paid back with a resting face and just stared at her blankly. 

"Oookay! Let's get you settled in." She awkwardly added, squeezing a way through the door before the man stepped aside, smiling softly which the other did not see. His gaze then returned to Chaeyoung who's also wearing a soft smile after chuckling quietly. 

"Once you're settled in, ask Joy where my room is and meet me there. We have somewhere we go to, okay? I'd love to help you carry your stuff but I need to meet Gong Yoo now. I'll be back on 30..." He stated which the girl could only nod to in response, forgetting the formality on how to answer a superior. Aris did not mind being spoken to casually at all especially when they're on break. Although, unlike with Joy and the rest of the squad, showing emotion is as rare as the blue moon. However, he couldn't help but smile when this girl smiles, she has that infectious smile, or so he thought, but he never noticed this effect on him at all.

As she followed behind Joy, Chaeyoung noticed the similarity of these quarters to their dorm. After graduation, they were told to expect shared rooms once they enter the military. Privacy is a privilege amongst soldiers; even the bathrooms and comfort rooms were common for both genders since it's a privilege to be comfortable. She thought she'd only had a bed and will be sharing a room with a few people but it seemed like each member has their own room. 

Joy ushered her to her room which looked really basic like her old room at the academy dorm. There's only a bed, a cabinet, and one window covered with black blinds. 

"Just so you know, we earned these quarters mainly because we're the assault team. We're always in the front line and we do most work that no other team does especially recon... Our kill rate is always the highest so this building is our reward. Were the pawns that will be sacrificed first but, we're hell'a tough pawns. Others will only have their beds along with other teams. Now, you owned this room." Joy smiled before putting her bags upon the bed. 

"Yeap! So don't get killed!" A man exclaimed from the hall who just passed her room on his way out. Chaeyoung didn't catch a glimpse of who he since he passed by her door too quickly but Joy just brushed it off, telling the girl to don't mind it.

"Anyway, the bathroom and the comfort room is at the end of the hall. There's also another bathroom upstairs. It's common so be sure to lock up... Annndd, I got to go," She then looks at her wristwatch, "I need to meet someone in the town." Joy then waves her hand but Chaeyoung interrupts, "Wait, uhm... the captain... I mean, the colonel told me to ask you where his room is. He told me to meet up there?" 

Joy's eyes widened upon hearing her question, "Meet in his room?" 

"I mean, he wants to meet up in front of his room later. He said we'll be going somewhere..." Chaeyoung retorted. 

"Oh... well... his room is just at the end of the other hall from entering the main door. And just call him captain, it's alright. We all do."  

After Joy left her, she began arranging her stuff inside the cabinet. She doesn't have a lot of stuff to begin with so she finished within 15 minutes. She changed from her uniform to normal clothes recalling what the cap was wearing. 

Maybe casual clothes is alright... she thought to herself, picking up a plain white shirt that fitted her body but not too tight and partnered it with denim jeans. She does not have many shoes to choose from so she just settled with the black army boots included in the uniform set she received today, it also needed a little breaking since it's new.

She then looks around. The building has 2 floors; the first floor only had 6 rooms including the captains. The interior is pretty simple; white walls and brown doors. There were two hallways that separate the captain from the rest of the squad. There's also a common room which is in front of the captain's door. They had a comfy couch in front of a flat-screen television which had Chayoung's eyes widen in amusement.

It's been a long time since she's seen a TV. She can't even remember the last show she watched. 

Are there still TV programs?

She was about to switch the device on, holding the remote on her hand when suddenly, Aris spoke, "It's just a decoration." 

Chaeyoung's shoulde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter