Targeted

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryujin searches the crowd in hopes to see Chaeyoung while the iron gate is being lowered shut once again. Those who are still waiting for their turn for the test we're advised that there had been a breach on the perimeter and those who were deployed outside were already called back to the base.

However, Ryujin can't find her. 

She then spotted their Drill Sargent and called his attention immediately, "Sergeant!" She yelled out loudly, making her way through the crowd.

"Park Chaeyoung... she's not here." She says, trying to catch her breath and attempting to speak calmly as she could to her superior. 

"Ah, yes... she had been deployed on her first mission by Colonel Park. Don't worry, Ryujin. She's with that man." The older gentleman with a mildly grown beard answered as he pats her head which made the girl's eye twitch in annoyance. 

Her superiors always pat her head, treating her like a kid despite her cold and quiet demeanor. She's the youngest in this batch and she had tried her best to get into this batch of trainees just so she could be with the person she treats as her sister. Ryujin has always been serious, rarely smiling despite Jaehyun's and the others' unamusing antics. 

Chaeyoung was the first person to comfort her after being rescued by Yoongi's team 4 years ago. Chaeyoung's smile was the first brightness she saw after growing up in the littlest space and unfamiliar household.

She had always been in the dark, scared of monsters and even the people around her. Even after the rescue, Ryujin showed no emotions until she saw Chaeyoung smiling at her, telling her that she's safe. From that day on, she was attached to Chaeyoung and looked up to her as if she's her sister. She never knew how sibling's love felt like but after meeting Chaeyoung, she understood the feeling of caring for somebody.

"What do you mean deployed? This is still a test, right? Sargeant? All privates must return to base in case of a perimeter breach." She questioned, heartrate increasing making her hands tremble as she clenches them tightly.

"Well, the colonel must've needed more help. Chaeyoung's quite talented after all." The sergeant replied with the softest tone to console the girl. 

"The colonel needed help from a soldier ranked lower than him?" Her tone rises as she questioned him again. However, her tone no longer amuses this man as his brows furrows tightly, "Look, Specialist Shin, I know you're worried about her but this is the reality. Once you're in this field of work, there's no getting out. You can't choose the time, place and the situation the top brass will assign you in. And not everyone returns... facing the reality is hard but it's not a choice for everyone. If you have more questions then I suggest you talk to the brigadier general." The older man then turns his back on her while all she could do is stand there trembling in annoyance and anxiousness. 

"That's the first time you questioned a superior," Jaehyun says nonchalantly, standing behind the aggravated girl. Like her, the first person Jaehyun looks for, the moment the breach has been announced, is Chaeyoung. But unlike Ryujin, the guy knows how to keep his cool despite being too worried that he almost tried to sneak out the gate the moment the superiors confirmed that everyone is already accounted inside. 

He knew that the three of them will be tested separately as they're included in the ranked top 10. He somehow had the feeling that the colonel would want all of them in his team. Who wouldn't want the best in their team? However, he wished that he never did his best so he can watch over these two on moments like this. Although, he never have thought there would be one final test. 

"Don't worry, pipsqueak. She'll be alright." He added, patting the girl's shoulder which made her more annoyed. Ryujin then grabbed Jaehyun's hand as she faces him but twisting it as she turned, "How many times do I have to break your arm for you to stop calling pipsqueak?! Do I look little to you?" She snarled at the guy who's now kneeling down and groaning. 

"Why are you so worked up about it right now?! I call every girl pipsqueak!" He whined, hissing in pain before the girl then let go of his hand before clicking her tongue while rolling her eyes.

Ryujin then noticed the team leader of Chaeyoung's team sitting down on one of the nearest beaches. She immediately runs towards him and questioned what had happened. When she got her answer, Jaehyun suddenly chuckles behind her, not realizing that the guy had followed her the moment she took off.

"Welp, that's our Chaeyoung, can't wait to get her hands to kill some zombies. Can't blame her, though. I'd do the same if I were out there." Jaehyun commented. 

Chaeyoung's teammates' brows furrow in confusion with Jaehyun's statement, thinking he must be crazy as they couldn't wait to get to safety after hearing about the breach.

"Check around the area and see if you can find a trace the ghouls left," Aris ordered while looking up the 3 storey lookout tower, pointing the flashlight the entrance of the tower. 

Chaeyoung was about to leave as he ordered, but then, he suddenly called her, "Stay here, Specialist Park."

She stood near him, looking wherever his flashlight points at. Then, he put the lights out before telling her to climb up with him. When they ascended up the tower, none of them found anything. There were no signs of struggle which would mean the person stationed here left. 

Any personnel assigned in a lookout tower cannot leave the site during the commencement of the test not unless someone will take the shift or is ordered to leave.

Chaeyoung was about to look out the rail and was about to point her flashlight down the ground when Aris suddenly spoke, "Stay here. If you spot anything out the ordinary, report it to me at once." 

Her forehead creases with that order. Chaeyoung wanted to help investigate the situation and getting stuck up at that tower would prevent her from doing anything that could be of help to him. 

"Captain, you're seriously gonna leave me here as a lookout?" She protested, walking towards the man who's already climbing down the ladder.

"Yes, I am." He answered nonchalantly, looking on his way down.

"But captain--" She was about to protest but Aris suddenly darted glares up at her which made her breath hitch, "You seriously want to question my order?" He asked.

"No... it's just that... I wouldn't be of any use here." 

"There wouldn't be a station like this if it's no use. Lookouts are as important as those in the front line." He replied. 

However, after the last word he spoke, they heard a low snarl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter