Chapter 12

The Dual Life of Hirai Momo (temporary title)

“Good morning guys!”

Tzuyu looked up from her coffee and saw that their resident unnie is unusually perky. She checked her watch, it’s not yet 7. Usually the girl would still be at bed since it’s a Sunday

“Somebody looks happy.” Dahyun raised an eyebrow.

“Must be in love.” Chaeyoung sipped her hot choco nonchalantly.

Momo does not answer and just grinned. She picked up a toast and took a bite, and went to the counter to make her coffee, humming.

“So who was it, unnie?”

“I bet it’s Ms. Mina.” Dahyun said. Chaeyoung raised her eyebrow at her bro. “I don’t think so. I think it was the blonde one in the motorcycle who took her home a few nights ago!”

Twuyu quietly sipped her coffee. “I think it was the jock. I saw them kissing on the front seat of her pick-up truck last night.”

Momo almost sputtered her coffee. Bingo.

“How did you know, Tzu? We parked a block away!”

“Got binoculars, unnie.”

“You’re scary,” Dahyun shuddered.

“One could never be too careful.”

‘So was it true unnie??! I cannot imagine Momo-unnie with a love life! And to a jock too!”

Momo can’t help but grin. Before she can respond, she received a text and her face lighted up once more. She chugged her coffee and ruffled all the three maknae’s hair. “Thank you for looking after me guys! I gotta go! Thanks for the coffee!”

They could hear their unnie humming and almost ran out of the door due to excitement. The three of them looked at each other.

“Yep. Definitely in love.”

---

“You should skip part-time tonight.”

Momo laughed but held Jeongyeon closer to her while they are watching tv. The jock invited her to her apartment and had cooked jokbal for her. She admits it, Jeong is a good cook. So good that she had eaten more than what she consumes in a whole week. She was just resting before she goes again to one of her shows, but of course, she cannot tell the other girl.

“I can’t. I’ll try to catch up to your game. Why don’t I go early today, my boss might let me out earlier?”

The jock whined and hugged Momo’s waist. Momo patted her girlfriend’s head and Jeong pouted.

“And no, no matter how cute you are, that’s not going to work. Stop whining. I’ll make it up for you.”

Jeongyeon smiled wickedly and pulled Momo on her lap. “Why don’t you make it up for me now?”

Momo laughed and give Jeongyeon a quick kiss. “If I give in to you, I wouldn’t be able to leave and your team will be missing their captain.”

Momo stood up and arranged her things and straightened up her clothes. “I’ll see you later? Good luck on your game.”

Jeongyeon walked her to the door and gave her another kiss. “Bye. Can’t wait to see you later.”

Momo looked at the girl on the doorway and she had used all her self-control not to go back to Jeong’s arms. She waved and quickly went to the bus station, skipping. Is this love? Has she fallen in love with the person she used to hate? She then remembered how they cooked and ate lunch, talking about anything and everything. The girl asked everything about her, and Momo realized they really didn’t know each other at all, and she realized how fast she said yes to the girl.

Momo shook her head. Usually she thinks before she leaps, but with Jeongyeon, all rational thoughts just flew away to the window.

She sighed. It’s not good right?

But when she thought about how Jeong makes her laugh, how warm she feels and how she kissed her?

She wishes that time could go faster.

--

She was practically skipping when she reached the hotel and she quickly changed to Yumi’s clothes for the today show. As she exits the dressing room, she was surprised to see Nayeon already there waiting for her.

“Oh, you’re already here unnie?”

“Oh, I wanted to be able to talk to you before the show.”

Her heart skipped a beat. Nayeon looked serious. “Is there any problem?”

“Oh, nothing at all. I—I have a business proposal for you.”

“Oh! Would you like to talk about this over coffee? I still have one hour.”

“Sure.”

They went to the hotel’s coffee shop and stayed at the booth far from the door. Nayeon ordered and as they wait for their order, she took out papers from her case.

“Well, I have told my father about you and he—well. He asked me to offer you to be the face of some of our products…”

Yumi’s eyes widened. “You—you are asking me to be the model of your company?”

“Well—yes. My father gave me a go signal to offer you the clothing line, another for the alcoholic beverage, and the cellphone one.”

“Why me?”

“Why not?”

“I mean—I am still fairly unknown. Only in the model industry does my name rings a bell. I—it might not be good to your company Nayeon.”

“It will be a great opportunity Yumi, I hope you think it over. By appearing on TV or in ads, slowly the general public will know you.”

Yumi agrees that it’s a great opportunity. She had been a model for four years now and she solely do magazine shoots but not TV nor movies.

“Can I call my uncle first and ask? It might have conflict on my contract as a Victoria’s angel...”

“I see. Yes, you may call him and you could also take these proposals home so you could study about it. If you have questions, you know how to reach me, right?”

“Yes. Excuse me.”

Yumi placed a call to her uncle and waited for him to come. She sat again across Nayeon and smiled. “You don’t know how much this means to me, unnie. You’re literally an angel.”

“Nayeon patted her hand and squeeze it. “It’s nothing Yumi. Anything for you.”

“Thank you really Nayeonie! I feel so lucky!”

Oji came and Yumi introduced them to each other.  The discussed the possible scope of her contracts and Yumi watch Nayeon as she negotiated with her uncle. Since she is a VS’s Angel, there are certain  things that she cannot model for like clothing apparel and fragrances. Nayeon offered other things like mobile  brand, hotel and automobile. Yumi looked at Nayeon with fascination as she explains their business and what Yumi could gain from each one. Yumi could see that Nayeon will be a great business woman, and she could see how passionate she is on what she does. At their young age of 22, Nayeon has already a lot on her shoulders, but it seems like that she just able to handle it with ease.

It was almost time for show time and they all stood up and Oji promised to look into the contracts that Nayeon had drafted for them and went ahead of them.

“Thank you again for the offer, Nayeonie.”

“No, thank you. I think having you will be good for our business.”

“We don’t know that yet.”

“Trust me, I can feel it in my bones.”

“I hope you don’t regret getting me as your model…”

“What I will regret is if I DON’T get you.”

Yumi just blushed and bowed slightly to Nayeon and the older laughed.

“By the way, to celebrate this business deal, why don’t you come with me after the show to go club hopping? So I can also introduce you to our crowd.”

Yumi’s face fell as she thinks of Jeongyeon’s game. “I’m sorry unnie, I have a prior appointment scheduled. I’m really really sorry unnie… I’ll just make up to you…”

Nayeon pouted, but then her face brightened.

“Okay how about this? Promise me to come to our school and be our guest on our Cheerleader’s booth? We are going to set up a recruitment booth and your presence will definitely boost the attendees. Or wait, wait, why don’t we do a hi-touch kind of thing or like a fan meet to also raise money? It’s like hitting two birds with one stone...”

“Sure, I’ll go! Anything for you unnie! Why don’t you text me details so I can arrange my schedule?”

Nayeon beamed. “Yey! I’ll hold unto that promise Yumi!” She made their pinkie finger connect to a promise and Yumi gave her a hug, to which Nayeon returned.

After the show, she said her goodbye to Nayeon and Yumi quickly changed and was scrambling to go to Jeongyeon’s game. It’s almost 8, so she knows it’s already the second half. She almost cursed when she saw Sana was waiting for her. She groaned inwardly. What is she going to do? She cannot directly go the university because she might know about her and Jeongyeon.

“What you’re doing here Sana?”

“Don’t want to see me?”

“Not that, but I mean—“

“It’s traffic. I figure I should fetch you.”

“That’s—thank you. I am in a hurry since I have to finish a project due tomorrow morning.” She crossed her fingers at her back.

“Okay. Hop in.”

True to her words, Sana took her home in just 10 minutes. She was such in a hurry so when she went down the motorcycle she gave Sana a tight hug as a sign of her gratitude and she ran inside the house. Sana was just standing beside her motorcycle, apparently looking shocked and took her a full minute to gather herself.

When Momo heard the motorcycle go, she went out again and ran to the bus station to go to Jeongyeon’s game.

Fourth quarter was already starting when Momo arrived, sweaty and panting from running to the university grounds to the gymnasium. Several girls are looking at her and whispering about her, maybe how disheveled she looked but she didn’t care.

When a teammate of Jeong, Yeji, look up to the bleachers and gestured to Jeongyeon that she was there, the girl grinned widely and waved at her, to which she returned. Whispers grew louder, probably people are surprised that Jeongyeon was interacting with this girl. Momo shrugged and just cheered loudly for the team, and when they won, Jeongyeon went up to her to the bleachers, to the surprise of the fans.

“What are you doing? People are staring…”

“Why, can’t I greet my girlfriend?”

Momo smacked her on arm. “Shhh! You said it’s a secret!”

“Okay, okay. Thank you for making it tonight, Mo.”

“You are already winning anyway…”

 “It’s still different when you are here. Can you wait for me? I’ll just shower quickly, then let’s eat out?”

“uhm…okay. Can I just wait for you on you on the truck?”

“Okay. See you in a jiffy.”

Jeongyeon ran and waved to Momo before she disappeared to the dug-out.  She was about to leave when someone called her.

“Yah. You four-eyes.”

Momo looked at the girls sitting a few chairs away from her.

“Me?”

The girl snide and rolled her eyes. “Duh? Of course I am talking to you. Why are you talking to Yoo-sunbaenim casually?”

“Uh she was the one who was talking to me…?”

The girl looked more pissed with her answer. “Are you dating her?”

Momo wanted to shout yes, but she doesn’t have the confidence to do so. “Why are you asking me? Why don’t you ask Jeongyeon-ssi?”

 “Smarty pants, if I find out that you are forcing yourself to Yoo Jeongyeon…”

Momo’s eyebrow shot up involuntarily. Force? “What are—“

“I’ll send you back to where you come from girl.”

The girls snickered and Momo tried not to be intimidated. The girls passed by her and shoved her to the bleachers. Momo wanted to ran after them but she doesn’t want to cause trouble for Jeongyeon. She sighed. She anticipated this. Should she just drop her disguise so that people won’t think that Jeongyeon is dating a nerd? But what about her work?

Momo’s head ached with all the thinking and she felt tired suddenly. Jeong still found her sitting on the bleachers when she went out, to the jock’s confusion.

“I thought you are waiting at the truck? Why do you look like that? Did something happen?”

Momo tried to smile. “Nothing, just tired.”

“Do you want to go home now?”

“No, let’s eat, you haven’t eaten yet, right?”

“I haven’t. But you look like you are going to crash anytime.”

“I’m alright. Anyway, I want to stay with you longer.”

“Cheesy much, Ms. Hirai?”

“Just for Yoo.”

Jeongyeon laughed at the word play. She pinched Momo’s cheeks and linked their arms together. Momo worried about what the girls said earlier and she slowly unlinked their arms. “Uhm, Jeong, there’s still people who would see us.”

“So?”

“I thought—can’t we just keep it between us for now?” 

Jeongyeon’s jaw clenched but seeing Momo’s worried eyes, she sighed. “Okay. But for how long?”

“Before this semester end, would that be alright?”

It’s not but Jeongyeon nodded. That’s just 3 months. Maybe the girl needed more time to adjust.

They went to the truck, and as soon as Momo hit the seat, she fell asleep. Jeongyeon pushed Momo’s bangs to the side to see the girl sleeping so cutely, with hanging open and snoring lightly. Poor girl, must be very, very tired.

Jeongyeon just ordered take -out and drove to their special place before waking Momo up.

“Mo.. we’re here.”

“I’m sorry for sleeping on you…”

“That’s okay. You must be really tired.”

“Yes. But never mind that, I smell something heavenly! Ooooh, you got us chicken and burgers?”

Jeongyeon laughed and took Momo to their special place at the overlooking. There they talked about their childhood and how Momo came to Korea. Momo just have to lie about the nature of her part-time, but the rest are all facts.

“Can you believe it we’re only born eight days apart?”

“Yeah, must be fate.” Momo munched on her chicken and Jeongyeon wiped her chin because of some crumbs.

“I know, we must be soulmates.”

“Soulmates?”

“Yes, because if you didn’t come here to Korea, we wouldn’t have met each other, since I don’t think I will be going to Japan. And even if Korea is big, fate made us meet. So we are soul mates.”

Momo looked at the girl beside her, and she confirmed what she thought this morning-- that she is really falling deep, way too deep--- even if it’s just a few days.

“By the way princess, our championship game will be on Sunday, so you better be there.”

“I have part-time on Sunday…”

 Jeongyeon pouted. “Can’t you take a leave?”

“Uh, no! There’s only few employees so if I take a leave, it will affect the operations...I will just catch up like today.” For the second time today, she crossed her fingers at her back.

“Am I not important for you?” Jeongyeon whined.

“Of course not! I---“ She gave the girl a look and she doesn’t know if Jeongyeon noticed how she feels. She could even feel that she was very transparent, that she’s wearing her out on her sleeves and there might be hearts on her eyes right now---and it scares the sh*t out of Momo.

Jeongyeon looked down at her and caught her staring and she smirked.

“What are you thinking?”

Momo blushed for being caught staring but she looked at Jeongyeon and touched her face. Feelings be damned.

“I still can’t believe that I have Yoo.”

Jeongyeon laughed but held Momo closer. “I can’t believe you Hirai with me too.”

 They looked at each other and laughed on their corny jokes. Yep, Soulmates.