Chapter 14

The Dual Life of Hirai Momo (temporary title)

When Momo became a model in her young age, she learned three things: don’t get too attached, not to show emotion and career is fleeting so grab the chance when you can. Now, as Momo was going back to their University, she figured out how she is breaking the three rules that she put upon herself.

When she thought about it, she couldn’t imagine how she had complicated her life like this. She had always operated alone—she didn’t want to be indebted to others nor other people to lean on her too much. Attachment breeds feelings, and feelings will lead to heartbreak. And Momo doesn’t have time for all of these.

So when she thought of Mina, Sana, Jeongyeon, and even Nayeon…she tried to figure out how she even became close with them when for four years, she didn’t have close ties with anybody. Sure she’s friendly with the School Meal Club, but there are no expectations, nor strong attachments. They are friendly, but since they are all different from each other, they just go on their own ways.

How can she say no to Mina now? When they basically hang out almost every day, having game nights and ice creams? Or Sana? Who just shows up to fetch her after her gigs and they just regularly share dinners and long talks? Nayeon had been a supporter of Yumi and had already planned out her debut as a TV model? And let’s not start on Jeongyeon who had gone from teasing her to being her girlfriend and until now, Momo cannot wrap around the idea that she is dating the hottest jock in their school despite looking like a potato.

Upon arriving at school she looked panicky looked around. Should she just run away, feign illness, or die? Morbid but she surmised it would be better than to suffer the wrath of the four friends.

But then she remembered what Mina had said, ”You are not a quitter Momo.” Momo squared her shoulders, took a deep breath, and tried to look resolute. She can do this. She just has to figure out how.

----

(Jeongyeon sends a message)

Jeongyeon knew she promised to wait. But she cannot wait to share the news with them, after all, they are her childhood friends. Momo will be a little pouty she knows, but then she loves her so she will just understand.

She and her team are already on the dugout preparing for their big game. She, Yeji, and their coach are talking about strategies when Yuna called her and told her someone was waiting for her outside. Thinking it was Momo she ran towards where the entrance was and was surprised to see someone unexpected.

Jisoo? Park Jisoo?

“Hello Kyungwannie.”

Jeongyeon laughed and ran towards her best friend, hugging and lifting her from the floor. “When did you arrive? I didn’t even know you are coming!”

“Well, I wanted to surprise you and Nayeonie. I will go to their department after here. You looked taller and long hair suited you.” Ji Hyo touched Jeong’s soft mane, marveling at its length. “Last time I saw you look like a boy. Now you look so pretty.”

Jeongyeon smacked her friend. “Yah! I have always been pretty!” Ji Hyo held the arm that she smacked. “Yah, that hurt! Come back here you devil!” and they chased each other around the court, just like the old times. When Jeong caught her, she carried Ji Hyo under her arm like she’s just a sack of flour.

“Put me down, you caveman!”

“You got a lot of names for me Park Jisoo.”

“And you will hear the others if you don’t put me down!” Jeoengyeon unceremoniously put her down on the floor, with Ji Hyo falling on her . Jeongyeon laughed and picked her up on her feet.

“You owe me dinner Kyung-wan.”

“Stop calling me with that horrid name.”

“You call me Jisoo.”

“Jisoo is pretty, I don’t know why you still changed it.”

Ji Hyo shrugged. Jisoo had been a common name and she wanted to stand out. Even before, she always wanted to make a mark, to make people to remember her. Now having her internship as a journalist in a big news outlet, it’s very rare that they see each other.

“why don’t you join us for dinner so we could catch up? Same table at Gilligans? Nayeonie will be there and also Mina and Sana.”

“Oooh, I’d love to! I’ll go and see Nayeonie first then probably see MiSana. Then come back here to watch your game.”

“Nah. Don’t come here, we might lose.”

“I am your lucky charm.”

“Says who?”

“Well, you wouldn’t have won 2016 championship game because you forgot your lucky shoes and I had to go home and pick it up for you.”

“That was---“

“And that 2017 quarterfinals game that you were losing by 10 points but when I arrive, you were able to gain points in just two minutes.”

“That’s a coincidence—“
“Whatever you say Yoo, I am your lucky charm.”

Jeongyeon ruffled Ji Hyo’s hair. “Okay, okay. You are. Now get your off my court and I’ll see you later, okay?”

Ji Hyo skipped to the exit and before she went out the door she looked back and playfully stick her tongue out at Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon laughed but waved. Ji HYo waved back and she had to shoo her to keep going. Jeong shook her head and went back to their dug-out. She smiled as she remembered her round-eyed childhood friend and how she didn’t change.

---

Momo looked at the clock. Fifteen minutes to five. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and checked her “paraphernalia.” Wig? Check. Makeup and remover? Check. Glasses? Check. Jacket and pants? Check. Courage to pull this out? Still missing.

Momo sighed. Her brain is still telling her to just run away from everybody and feign sickness, but her heart said she shouldn't do that to the people who had done good for her—she’s not that heartless. She went out of the car and smoothened her skirt. Since she is Nayeonie’s honorary guest honor, she went with a black leather jacket, revealing top, leather miniskirt and high heels. She flipped her hair and checked her red lips. Hopefully, she can finish early so she can still go to Mina and Sana’s pre-performance.

She walked towards the pink booth that Nayeon had indicated and there are already a lot of people. A girl approached her and asked if she was Yumi and she nodded. She gestured Yumi to follow her at a tent behind the stage and gestured her to sit and gave her cold drinks. “Miss Im will be with you momentarily. She is still talking to someone but she has already been informed that you arrived.”

Yumi nodded and surely, she already heard Nayeon laughing and walking towards the booth. She was talking to a shorter, but very pretty girl, and both their smiles are wide and they both look fondly at each other.

“Oh, Yumi, I’m sorry for making you wait. Yumi. this our childhood friend Park Ji Hyo. She had a break at the academy and decided to visit us. Ji Hyo, Miss Kisaki Yumi, Victoria’s Secret model and our guest for today.”

Ji Hyo smiled warmly at her and she bowed. “Nice to meet you, Miss Park.”

“Oh, just call me Ji Hyo. Nayeonie is right, you really are very pretty.”

Yumi blushed and Nayeon slapped her shoulder. “Stop embarrassing me in front of Miss Kisaki.”

“What? You were gushing about how pretty she is for twenty minutes and how happy you are that you were able to invite her here.”

Yumi bowed again at Ji Hyo’s compliment. “The pleasure is all mine.”

Ji Hyo looked at Nayeon grinning at Yumi and she could see that their unnie is whipped for this model. She wiggled her eyebrows knowingly at Nayeon to . Nayaeon just gave her a nudge.

“Well, I’ll be going first Nayeonie. Nice meeting you Miss Kisaki.”

Yumi bowed again and Ji Hyo waved until she disappeared around the bend. “Are you ready Yumi? It’s going to be an introduction, then fansign, and hi-touch? We were able to sell out our tickets for 25000 thousand won and up.”

“Really? Students bought tickets?”

“Well, that’s only for hi-touch. For fansign, it’s much much more.”

Yumi’s eyes widened. She didn’t know people know her that much.

“But uhm, Nayeonie, could we do this fast? I’m sorry but I have an important appointment by 6pm I’m really sorry.”

“Oh. Well, this even was supposedly until 7..”

“Oh.”

“But no worries, I’ll just signal the MC to hasten the pacing. That’s okay, I know you’re a busy person..”

“I’m really sorry Nayeonie.”

“It’s okay, no need to apologize. So let’s start?”

In fairness to Nayeon, she handled the fan meet professionally and quickly. Yumi herself had a great time meeting students and fans alike, that when she checked the time, it’s already half-past five! When the hi-touch batch was done, she asked Nayeon if she can take a break. Nayeon nodded and announced for intermission number from her cheerleading squad. As soon as Yumi was out of Nayeon’s line of sight, Yumi removed her high heels, wore her rubber shoes, and ran across the field to the amphitheater where Sana's stage play will be held. She immediately went to the restroom and changed her clothes, removed her wig, and wore a silk jacket over her top. She immediately went to the hallway towards the backstage and she asked a staff to talk to Sana.

Sana came out from backstage and immediately run to hug Momo as soon as she saw her. “I thought you’ll never come!”

“I’m sorry, I was late. Of course, I wouldn’t miss your play!”

Sana stepped away from Momo and looked at her face. Something was different. Sana gasped. “You have make-up!”

Momo touched her face. “Oh. Yeah. Only for special occasions.”

“You look pretty.”

“Uhm, thank you. But you look prettier in your costume. I’ll… I’ll go to my seat. Break a leg, Sana-yah.”

“Because you came, I will certainly do better.”

When Sana went back to the dressing room, Momo sprinted outside. Due to her haste, she didn’t notice a pair of eyes staring at her.

---

Mina was walking back and forth in her dressing room, anxiety building upon her that nothing to do with her performance. She peeked from backstage earlier but her reserved seat is still vacant. Where’s Momo? She should be here by now. Did she forget?

“Miss Myoui? A friend is looking for you?”

Mina checked the clock: A quarter to six. She shouldn’t be entertaining visitors by this time since she should already be doing her stretches.

“Minari, I’m so so sorry!”

Momo came in, panting a little, making her short hair stick to her neck, glasses askew.

“Woah. Did you run all the way here?”

“Yeah, got caught in traffic.”

Mina smiled her gummy smile. “That’s okay, what’s important is that you are here now.”

“Ganbatte ne Mina-chan! Have fun!”

“Thank you Momo. Hope you enjoy my performance.”

“I will!”

Momo waved at Mina before she went back to her dressing room and when she’s sure Mina is inside she sprinted out. Her phone rang twice, notifying her that she received text messages. She opened her messages while running and she ran faster when she read the messages both bearing the same thing:

Where are you Momo?

---

The gymnasium is packed. Nobody would want to miss the first game of the Championship round and with Yotei University at that. The players are already warming up and she saw Jeongyeon shooting hoops on the other side of the court. Momo quickly went to her seat and when Jeongyeon looked up she waved vigorously. Jeongyeon’s eyebrows furrowed, and Momo knows she was pissed for being late so Momo tried hard to do an aegyo and gestured a peace sign. Jeongyeon cannot help it but break into a grin, Momo is just too cute. She nodded and continued to warm up when the bell blared to signal the start of the game. Jeongyeon was included in the first five and Momo gestured a hwaiting to Jeongyeon to which the jock received with a smile. When she thinks that Jeong is engrossed in their game, Momo excused herself and went out, running back to the cheerleading event.

---

Nayeon had been walking to and fro. The fans have been going impatient and Yumi is not answering her calls. Where did that girl go?

“Nayeonie! I’m sorry I had an upset stomach—“

“Did you run? Why did you look so sweaty?”

“I’m sorry, yes I did!”

Nayeon gave her powder and lipstick so Yumi could retouch her makeup. “I thought you bailed on me!”

“I’m really sorry! But I’m ready for the fan sign.”

Yumi straightened her wig and skirt. She went to the stage and the fans cheered. Yumi apologized and told them that the fan sign will commence.

Yumi interacted with her fans but Nayeon could feel that she is anxious about something. She touched her shoulders and whispered, “Are you alright?” Yumi touched her hand and tried to smile. “Yes.”

After fifteen minutes and the line is not thinning, Yumi could feel her panic rising. She had to do something. While she was doing the fan sign, she texted Oji to call her. Five minutes later, her phone rang. She stood up and excused herself from the fan but accepted the call and answered it in a loud voice.

“Oji? Hai. I am still here. Yes I know but—“

“Momo what are you saying? Why did you ask---“

“I can’t leave yet, could you please tell the client to wait?”

“What client? What are you saying child---“

“I will be there by ten minutes? Fifteen? I’ll just finish a batch then I’ll go! Please apologize on my behalf Oji, yeah yeah thank you.” And Momo hangs up.

“I’m sorry Nayeonie, I really needed to go.”

“What could we do, they paid fifty thousand won to see you!”

“I’m really sorry—“

Just then Momo saw someone who could be the solution to her problem. “Wait here.”

“Yah!”

“I’ll call another model to replace me..so that you don't need to refund.”

“Are you sure?”

“Give me five minutes.”

And Momo sprinted again towards the other stalls. She wore her glasses and removed her wig.

“Guys!”

Dahyun jumped when someone touched her shoulder. “Momo unnie you surprised me!”

“You three doing something?”

“Not really just looking around,” Tzuyu answered.

“tell you what, can you do something for me?”
 

“What?”

Chaeyoung eyed Momo from head to toe. “Why are you wearing something like that?”

Momo cursed under her breath, she forgot to change her clothes. But that’s not important anymore. She gave Chaeyoung a ticket. “I have somewhere important to go but Mina gave me a ticket to her ballet performance right now. Can you attend for me?”

Chae’s eyes twinkled. “Really?”

She turned to Dahyun and gave her a golden ticket. “ This is for Sana’s stage play. You know Minatozaki Sana?”

Dahyun’s eyes widened. She remembered the blonde, beautiful girl who approached her before. “Sort of.”

“Here’s a front-row ticket. Just… attend it for me.”

Momo looked around and saw a flower stand. She bought two bouquets and handed them to Chae and Dahyun.

“I’ll go there as soon as I’m done with the Cheerleader’s booth.”

“You owe us unnie.”

“I’ll give you my whole month’s allowance.”

“Yosh! I’ll see you later! Let’s go bro!” And DubChaeng happily went in the direction of the theaters.

“You won’t have anything to do for me, unnie?”

Momo looked up at their tall maknae.

“Actually I have. But I need you to pretend for me, Yoda.”

Tzuyu’s eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean?”

“You need to pretend that you are a model like me.”

“You’re a model?”

Momo facepalmed herself. She forgot that Tzuyu doesn’t know but she doesn’t have any choice.

“Yeah yeah. I’ll explain later. You look pretty enough, well actually prettier than me so you will pass. I’ll just tell Nayeonie that you are one of the new models of VS and that you will replace me. All you need to do is just sign autographs okay?”

“Okay, Momo unnie.”

“No, don’t mention Momo, Nayeon doesn’t know! I go by the alias, Yumi. Yumi Kisaki.”

Tzuyu looked confused but Momo was already pushing her to the cheerleader’s booth.

“You owe me a lot for this unnie.”

Momo whined. “But I already gave my one-month allowance.”

“Not enough. You’re a model, so you earn a lot.”

“Not really. How about VS lingerie? I got tons.”

“Nope.”

“Perfume?”

“Nope.”

“What do you want?”

“Do the dishes.”

“For a week? Okay—“

“For a month.”

Momo gaped at the tall maknae. “You really are savage, Tzu.”

“You’re welcome unnie.”

Momo put back her wig and removed her glasses. Tzuyu’s eyes widened at the change in Momo’s appearance.

“Please do not tell anybody about this.”

Tzuyu nodded. She helped Momo fixed her wig. Just then Nayeon showed up.

“Yumi!”

“Tzu smile. Please? Just go with the flow..” Momo whispered under her breath.

“Nay! Here’s my model friend, uhm Chou Tzuyu.”

Nayeon looked at Tzuyu from head to foot. The face, the stance, the height.

“She’s gorgeous! She’s great, the fans will be satisfied. Okay, so do you really have to go?”

“Do I need to say goodbye to the fans?”

“I can just tell them.”

“I’m really sorry about this Nay.”

“It’s okay. Go. You’re already late.”

“I am. Sorry.” She then gave Nayeon a peck on the cheeks and waved goodbye to Tzuyu who looked green. I’m sorry Tzuyu…

She looked at her clock, 6:15. She went to the restroom and changed her outfit to that of Nerdy Momo. She then went to Mina’s recital and she just stood at the back. She watched how Mina brought her costume to life. How she gracefully danced with such precision and elegance that she may have open the whole time. She glanced at Chae sitting on her chair, bearing the same expression as hers, fully captivated with the performance. With a last glance, Momo went out the hall and went to Sana’s play.

Since she doesn’t have a ticket, Momo stood in the hallway, pressing her back on the wall. She watched as Sana charmed her audience with her multiple facets: She was cute, elegant, y, scary. The audience laughed and cried with her character, and when she looked at Dahyun in the front seat, she could see that her housemate is mesmerized with the performance, tightly clutching the bouquet on her chest with that silly look on her face. Dahyun can handle herself, she figured.

She finally then went to Jeongyeon’s game but as she looked up to her seat, someone was already sitting on it. Momo squinted and she saw that it was Ji Hyo. Don’t want to bother the girl anymore, she just stood by the stairs just below the bleachers. The game was intense, the teams are neck on neck with the scores and when the bell rang signaling the end of the first half, Jeong’s team is two points behind.

She saw how Jeongyeon glanced above to her seat and her eyebrows are knitted again in annoyance. But then Ji Hyo waved and Jeongyeon waved back. Momo’s heart lurched after seeing Jeongyeon smile. They are childhood friends as Nayeonie put it so she doesn’t have any reason to be jealous. Just then a teammate of Jeong , the blonde one, Shin Yuna, saw her and pointed her to Jeong and Jeongyeon walked towards her. Jeong grabbed her arm and with clenched teeth asked why she was late.

“I--- I—“

Just then that Jeongyeon noticed how silent the court is, with the whole court holding their breath to see what will happen between the two of them. Jeongyeon had to calm herself before she released Momo’s arm.

“I’ve waited for you. I’ve looked for you. Where did you go?”

“I’m sorry Jeong.I—I need to finish something and I—“

“You know how crucial this game is, you should have sacrificed everything to be here!” Jeong’s voice raised an octave higher.

Momo was dumbfounded. She looked away and forced herself not to cry. If only Jeong knew what she sacrificed just to be there…

Jeongyeon saw the surprise then the hurt that flashed in Momo’s eyes. She saw that tears are threatening to fall, but Momo prevented it to fall, not when the whole court is watching them. Her eyes might have played tricks on her because she saw Momo’s gaze hardened and was quickly replaced by something…cold.

“Captain! Coach is asking for you!”

Jeongyeon nodded at Yeji. “We’ll talk about this later, okay? I have to go.”

Momo didn’t answer, instead, looked at her phone.

She cannot help but think that she should have just stayed at Mina’s recital, or Sana’s play, or even at the Cheerleader’s booth—she enjoyed it more. She understood where Jeong is coming from, being her girlfriend and all, but can’t she just be happy that she’s there?

The game went by with Momo just sitting down, not even cheering, nor clapping. When the game was done, she was the one who was quick to went out the court. Chaeyoung texted her that they are Giligan’s and that Mina is treating her with dinner. She had second thoughts if she will accompany them there but Mina called her on the phone so she didn’t have a choice but to relent since she owed the girl an explanation. When she arrived, Sana and Dahyun just arrived too, to Sana’s surprise.

“Momo why—“

“I’m sorry, I can explain—“
“Explain what Sana-chan?” Mina asked.

“Well, I invited her to my play but she disappeared---“

“But I invited her too—“

“Did you go to Mina-chan’s—“

“Well, I did, but—“

“Hi, guys! Oh. We have company?”

Nayeon came with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung and Dahyun got confused about what is happening. Momo shook her head on Tzuyu and signaled Chae and Dahyun not to say anything and let Momo-unnie explain. But nobody wanted to start the conversation, the atmosphere being heavily awkward.

“Oh, there you are, Mo. I told you to wait for me—“

Jeong looked at the people with her friends. She saw them around campus but is not familiar with them. Nayeon spoke up and introduced Tzuyu to everybody.

“This is Chou Tzuyu, Yumi’s colleague from Victoria’s.”

Chaeyoung and Dahyun gasped and looked at their maknae and Tzuyu bit her lip. Hopefully, the two will keep quiet but Mina has that confused look on her face.

“Tzuyu is a model? But I thought—“

“And I am Kim Dahyun, Momo-unnie’s housemate, along with Son Chaeyoung here. We’re sorry to intrude, we are about to go home—“

“Of course not Dahyunnie! Since you came to my play, let’s eat dinner first.”

“Hi, guys!”

“Ji hyo-sama??”

Mina and Sana ran to the newcomer and gave her a hug. “Oh, my beautiful Japanese babies! How are you? Look at you Mina-chan so beautiful! And Sana, oof! When did you dye your hair?”

MiSana clung to JiHyo. “We miss you too squirt! Are you going around uncovering syndicates and catching bad guys? Or do you write about showbiz blind items?

Ji Hyo laughed. “I am not that noble, Sana-chan. Oooh, I’m glad you’re both here, I missed you! Oh, we’re having company for dinner?”

Jeongyeon then gestured to Momo, “Oh, Momo babe, come here, I’ll introduce you to my childhood best friend, Park Ji Hyo. Hyo, Hirai Momo, my girlfriend.”

Mina, Sana and Nayeon looked at each other and looked at Momo. “G—girlfriend?”