Chapter 7

The Dual Life of Hirai Momo (temporary title)

Momo’s stomach still churned on the thought of Sana and Mina’s fight earlier. Momo had hidden and heard everything, but she didn’t want to intervene. This is what she is afraid of—and she knew the moment somebody learned about her secret, it will complicate her life. She thought having a new friend, aside from DaChaeTzu will be cool, but she thought wrong. Now Mina’s relationship with her bestfriend is on tatters, and it’s partly her fault.

“Yumi, are you ok? You look quesy. Nervous?”

She forced a smile. “Just nervous Oji. Interviews scare me to death.”

“You’ll be fine. Just be natural, honest but not brutally so, be sincere and just give them your y smile, you’ll be fine.”

“Dating questions?”

“Just say your busy climbing up the highest ranks in the modelling industry.”

“Okay…”

“Unless you’re seeing anybody now…?”

“Oh no, Oji, no one yet.”

“Okay. Just being clear.”

Momo smiled nervously and look at the function hall. Staff are bustling around. It’s going to be a dinner party slash press conference for the Victoria’s Secret Brand and looking for other possible sponsorships. Only five of them will be attending, the five who were voted as the darlings of the crowd from their last event.

She chose a cream-colored, simple formal dress which accentuate her shoulder blades and hugged her curves. She had attended events like these before and she didn’t want to be ogled too much by these old investors. y yet still respectable, that’s her goal. She lightly finger combed her hair and checked if her hair extensions are still in place. Yep. She took a deep breath to calm herself and smiled. When the spotlights had , she waited for her turn to come out from backstage and strut to the edge of the stage, to the other end and to the center of the stage with the other models. They introduced themselves one by one and were gestured to sit on the fancy stools.

They answered standard interview questions and Momo had expertly answered them, cheekily at some, and the press laugh at some candid answers. When love life was asked and they said they are all single, they were asked what they are looking for their ideal man, Momo was caught surprised to be asked first because she was whispering to her friend Hitomi about outfits and she was not listening.

“Ms.Yumi?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Ideal Man?”

“I don’t like men.” She blurted out.

It was split second when the hall became utterly quiet before the press became frenzied with her statement that Momo had realized what she said. She laughed and raised her hand to quiet down the press.

“—I mean, I don’t like men who feel like they are superior and look down on women as if they cannot do anything aside from household chores and taking care of the family. I like men who are protective, loyal, and respectful. That’s what I mean.”

The crowd laughed and Momo giggled nervously. That was close, and Oji would scratch his head again at Momo.

After the customary photoshoot was the dinner and they were helped down the podium and to their table. They talk animatedly with each other and after desserts, they were expected to mingle with the businessmen in attendance, who could get them as models for their respective businesses.

Momo nervously search for Oji among the crowd and sighed in relief as she saw him standing just near the patio. His uncle would always be looking for her in case, but he is busy while talking to a tall handsome bespectacled guy wearing a suit. He’s cute, Momo thought, especially with that dimple on his right cheek. His uncle gave him a look to mingle and went back talking to the handsome guy.

“Miss Kisaki! I have a proposition to you.”

Momo politely looked at the guy on his 50’s who was bearing a wine glass on his left hand and the right on her waist.

“Oh, hello sir, how may I---” Then Momo felt that his hand went down to her ! Momo’s eyes widened and she tried to move away.

“Sir!”

“Mr. Kang! It would be the best that you remove your hand on Ms. Kisaki’s , unless you want to be escorted out?” Momo was surprised on how the old man removed his hand and went a step further from Momo. Momo whipped around to see the person who saved her and it was someone she knows.

“Ms. Im! I was just telling Ms. Kisaki to be the face of our newest product…”

“Well, you could tell her that without touching her, can’t you? And it will be such a show if Mrs. Kang would see you touching a young model when she was boasting how faithful you are with her circle of friends…”

Mr. Kang huffed and said something like your father is going to hear about this and Nayeon sarcastically answered her, “You bet my father will know about this so he could sell his shares to others because he should not be involved with people like you.”

Mr. Kang just went away and Momo was trembling. Not because of what Mr. Kang did but because Nayeon might recognize her!

‘Are you okay Miss Kisaki? You’re trembling?”

”Uh, I’m fine.. Thank you…for rescuing me.”

“I was just on my way to get desserts when I saw that touch your . Not that I can blame him, those butts are marvelous.”

Momo blushed and Nayeon laughed and gestured her to the dessert table. Not to be ungrateful, she followed Nayeon and got blueberry cheesecake and they went outside on the veranda.

“I’m Nayeon. Im Nayeon.”

I know, Momo thought and took Nayeon’s hand to shake. “Yumi. Yumi Kisaki.”

“Oh, I know. I have that magazine with your interview and centerfold. And if I may say so, your pictures do not give you justice. You look so much prettier in person.”

Momo winced at how forward Nayeon with her compliments and she remembered how she looked at her at school, not really with disdain, but just like a dirt that not worth being bothered with.

“Thank you. You are also pretty yourself, Ms. Im.”

“Nayeon.”

“I’m sorry?”

“Just call me Nayeon. I think we are of the same age.”

“Oh, okay, Nayeon.” Momo has nothing else to say so she just continued to eat her cake.

“Hey I didn’t know you are quiet.”

“I dunno what you want to talk about…”

“So let’s play 100 questions. Let’s take turns on asking each other questions.”

“Uhm, okay. I’ll start.”

“Favorite color?”

“Blue.”

“Oooh we are the same.”

“Cats or dogs?”

“Dogs.”

“Oh me too. I have three dogs at home.”

The pair took turns in asking questions and they didn’t notice time had passed because they were enjoying playing 100 questions. They found out that they have a lot of things in common and Momo found herself comfortable at Nayeon’s company. A man on a suit subtly appeared and excuse himself at Nayeon.

“Ma’am—“

“Is it time to go?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Oh, Yumi, I’m sorry I gotta go. Oh wait. Can I get your number?”

“Uhm…”

Momo hesitated. At school Nayeon is such a that she despised her especially that arrogant air around her but after chatting with her, it seems like Nayeon is just like her: A young adult who likes stuffed bunnies, kdramas and her cheerleading team.

She nodded. Nayeon gave her phone and Momo typed her private phone number.

“I’ll see you around?”

Momo shrugged non-commitically. She doesn’t know if she will see Nayeon after this but she nodded.

“Great! See you around Yumi!”

And then she was gone. 

Her uncle came and handed her a jacket. “Got any business deals?”

“I dunno Oji, I don’t know what I can get from Miss Im.”

“I could see that you two got cozy.”

“Oji!”

Her uncle chuckled at how flustered she is. “Hopefully not monkey business, eh, Yumi?”

“Oji, of course not! Can I tell you a secret?” Then whispered at her uncle’s ear.

“Eeeh? That’s complicated Momo! What if she finds out?”

“I’ll cross the bridge when I get there Oji.”

“Oh, you were so busy earlier I didn’t get to introduce you to Mr. Kim.”

“Which Mr. Kim?”

“The one I was talking to earlier?”

“Oh, the cutie?”

“Your type?”

“Nah. But he looks cute.”

“Nam Joon sure is and more. Loaded, with looks and brains to back him up. I’ll introduce you next time.”

“Stop matchmaking Uncle.”

“Momo…”

“Okay, okay, I’ll meet him next time. No promises though.”

“Deal.”

---

“Momo-unnie, may I have 50 bucks?”

“What do you need 50 bucks for?”

“I ordered pizza.”

“Oh, okay, just get it at my wallet, there on my bag behind the door.”

Chaeyound snickered at how easy asking Momo unnie for money, probably she just got paid from her part time. When she opened the wallet, something fell to the floor.

“Unnie, I didn’t know you’re into sports.”

“I am not Chae.”

“Then why do you have a basketball game ticket here in your wallet?”

Momo suddenly got up from the kdrama she was watching. Oh sh*t she totally forgot it!

“Oh no! Sh*t sh*t sh*t, why did I forget? do you think the game is already finished Chae?”

“Well, it starts at 6. It’s probably the 2nd half already.”

Momo just grabbed a jacket and tried to comb her hair. Oh no, her hand smelled like chips and also her breath! Momo almost fell down running to the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. She is really screwed! Hopefully Yoo Jeongyeon wouldn’t notice or else she wouldn’t open her locker for a month.