Chapter 9

The Dual Life of Hirai Momo (temporary title)

Momo hates Mondays. It signals the start of a long and hectic week making her feel more tired even before the day even starts. But today, Momo dreads it more—she doesn’t know how she is going to class knowing that Mina and Sana had a fight because of her. The only consolation is she has a truce with Jeongyeon so she won’t have to worry about her.

As she entered the room, she saw that Nayeon and Mina were discussing the presentation, Sana scrolling on her phone and Jeongyeon was copying some notes.

She took a deep breath and walk to her seat. Jeongyeon didn’t even look up and Momo quickly sat down.  She was bracing herself for any teasing but as minutes turned to an hour, she didn’t even hear Jeongyeon speak.

Maybe it was just her, but she was on the edge for the whole period. She felt awkward, but isn’t this she wanted?

Mina sat down beside her when Ms. Sunmi told them that they will present their work. She greeted her quietly and Momo had an urge to ask how was she after her fight with Sana. She saw that Mina was sitting stiffly and was avoiding to look at the blonde. Not that it was her fault that they fought, but she felt very guilty nonetheless.

After the class, Mina waited for her to pack her things and walked beside her. The girl looked a little relieved that their project is done but her eyes looked sad. Sana had left first with Nayeon and Jeongyeon without saying a word to her and Mina looked dejectedly at her friends.

“Wanna go get some ice cream, Mina? My treat for helping me finish this project and getting an A+.”

Mina smiled. “Sure! I am craving for some mint chocolate ice cream.”

“You like mint cholate?”

“Don’t you?”

Momo cringed, then pretends to shudder. “It tastes like toothpaste.”

“No! The one from that ice cream place that I know is very delicious! Try it first!”
“Okay, okay, I’ll just have a taste okay, no promises.”

“What’s your favorite flavor?”

“Avocado and strawberry.”

“Avocado?? Eeew.”

‘Why? Avocado are healthy!”


“But it tastes weird!”

“Why don’t we compromise? I’ll taste the mint choco and you taste avocado.”

“What? No!”

They squabbled on what is the best ice cream flavor while they were walking to the University Mall with is just walking distance from their building. Momo slapped Mina’s shoulder as they were laughing and Mina had naturally entwined her arms with Momo as their laughter died down so they walked arm-in-arm towards the ice cream parlor. The silence between them was comfortable, but Momo is hyperventilating because they were walking too close to each other. Mina looked like she doesn’t mind at all, and just continued to tell her the other ice cream flavors that she will be eating later so Momo had tried to calm her insides down.

Upon arriving the ice cream place, Mina ordered first and Momo looked for a place to sit and waited for Mina. After Mina ordered her ice cream, Momo went to the counter for hers. While they wait, Momo settled comfortably in front of Mina.

“So, how are you and Sana? I’m sorry I had to go first last Saturday..”

“Oh. That’s alright. We’re--- well, just fine.”

Mina was avoiding her gaze and she knows that Mina was not telling the truth.

“You were awkwardly avoiding each other earlier Mina..”

Mina sighed.

“It’s was nothing.”

Momo squeezed Mina’s hand. “You know you can talk to me if you need someone to talk right?”

Mina sighed. “It’s just.. it was our first fight. We’ve been friends since we were kids. I think I misjudged her and well...”

Momo squeezed her hand. Mina savor the warmth that Momo’s hands are emanating and it is making her feel better.

“I don’t think MInatozaki can last very long with you angry at each other. If you feel that you made a mistake, admitting it wouldn’t mean you’re weak, but it means that you value your friendship more.”

Mina nodded. “It’s just that I am so tired of them bullying you!”

Momo pushed her eyeglasses upward. ‘You argued about me?!”

Mina scoffed and teasingly said, “You’re not that special.”

“I guess not!” And they both laughed together.

Mina felt a lot better, having someone to talk to about Sana. She cannot tell Nayeonie or Jeongyeonie about it because they might side with Sana on this argument. Having Momo around and giving her an unbiased advice eased some of her burden. Their ice cream came and Mina clapped in happiness.

Mina scopped an ice cream and extended her spoon to Momo.  “Try this, Momo-chan, quickly! Say Ahh.”

Momo opened to taste Mina’s mint chocolate ice cream and tried to savor the taste.

“Hmmmm..”

“Good?”

“Better than I was expecting. You try my avocado.”

Mina made a face but since Momo had been a sport, she gathered her courage and took a spoonful.

“Ahm, it’s an acquired taste…it needs getting used to..”

Momo laughed and Mina laughed with her.

She could get used to this, too.

---

“You’re baking…really?”

“So?”

“You only bake when you have a problem Jeong.”

“I don’t.”

“You hate baking, especially a cake.”

“It takes my mind off things.”

“So I am correct.” Nayeon said smugly. Jeong just chose to ignore her.

“I heard you went out in a date last night.”

Jeongyeon kept quiet.

“Didn’t know you changed types now.”

Jeongyeon didn’t answer and Nayeon was getting annoyed.

“So, spill. Asking Hirai to watch your game is weird, and making her sit on the Royal chair is weirder. But the weirdest is that Soohyun said you gave her a ride. To where, I want to know.”

Jeongyeon pretended not to hear anything and continued to put icing on the cake. Annoyed that Jeongyeon is not budging, Nayeon snatched the piping bag.

‘Unnie!”

“I am talking to you!”

“Nothing happened! It was a deal okay? She comes to my game, I won’t put a bug on her locker. That’s it.”

Nayeon sighed exasperatedly. “I dunno with you Jeong. Many girls are chasing you, pretty girls. Why are you wasting your time on Hirai?”

“Just drop it unnie.”

“Is this why you were so quiet all through out Sociology? It’s not likely you keep quiet in a subject.”

Jeongyeon chose not to answer. Not because she wants to annoy Nayeon further, but because she doesn’t know what to say. She was right, she’s very loud when she’s in class, and that’s mostly to annoy Hirai. But since she promised not to bother the girl, Jeongyeon suddenly had lost her will to talk in class.

“Jeong.”

“I’m alright.”

“No you don’t. You look like a heartbroken puppy.” Jeongyeon swiped some icing on the cake she was decorating and smeared it on Nayeon’s face.

“Yah!”

“I am not heartbroken! We had a truce. And I promised not to bother her again.”

 “Awww. That’s must be so hard for you.” Nayeon said sarcastically and Jeongyeon threw some nuts at her.

“You’ve been single for far too long Jeong.”

“Why need to enter in a relationship when I can get what I want even without having some clingy girlfriend?” Jeongyeon waggled her eyebrows at Nayeon.

“Well, I can introduce you to my pretty friends.”

“Spare me, unnie of your Cheerleading squad—“

“Because you already have slept with half of them—“

“Because they want a trophy gf. They want me more for status—“

“---and because you’re good in—“

“Well, that too.”

“Argh, Jeong! I’ll set you up on a blind date tomorrow..”

“Unnie, you don’t have to do this—“

“I NEED to do this. I can’t stand seeing you looking so…miserable.”

“I am not!”

  “Yes you are!”

“Clean up nicely tomorrow and please…not in your after-game clothes.”

“That was one time!”

“6pm tomorrow. Don’t be late.”

“Unnie…”

“Just this one time, Jeong. If I cannot find you date, then that’s that. Pine after Hirai for all you want.”

Jeongyeon turned to finish her cake, while Nayeon left for home. What does she had to lose anyway?

---

The address that Nayeon gave her must be wrong, Jeongyeon thought, as she entered the upscale 5-star hotel in Seoul. Usually, when Nayeon sets up her dates, they just hang out in some bar or cozy coffee shop. When she called Nayeon,she said that she’s at the function hall. A concierge lead her to the door and she struggled to find her friend among the dense number of people milling around.

She’s going to strangle, Im Nayeon.

She spotted her friend, standing near the wall talking to someone. She moved to where her best friend is and waved. Nayeon saw her and waved back, but it didn’t escape Jeongyeon how her friend touched the arm of the woman she’s talking to and the woman moved closer to her.

Jeongyeon tilted her head to one side. Does Nayeon have a girlfriend, and didn’t tell them?

“Jeong! I thought you’ll never come! I want you to meet somebody!”

As soon as the woman turned to face Jeongyeon, she saw how the woman’s eyes widened and the smile on her lips had faded.

“Yumi, this is my bestfriend that I’ve been telling you about, Yoo Jeongyeon. Jeong, Victoria’s model, Kisaki Yumi.”