Chapter 2

A Pirates Life For Me - Lumark

It was about a week after the whole captain Xuxi situation, a week full of teasing from Mark’s colleagues.

 

After he had to tell them what happened -he obviously let out the part about their make-out session- they all kept making jokes like “Hey Mark can you see this” or “Hey Mark watch out I’m going to vanish” before running away.

 

And Mark was tired of it, luckily for him, his colleagues also haven't been able to find a trace of the man or any of his friends.

 

Sadly for him, that meant he also needed to do other cases like arresting drug dealers and that kind of things, that was definitely less interesting than looking for a certain handsome captain.

 

So after he had brought in what felt like the tenth drunk driving idiot of the week, he walked over to his desk and threw his jacket onto his chair.

 

While doing that he heard a clinking noise. Mark looked confused as he tried to find out what was causing the noise.

 

He inspected his jacket only to find a coin in his pocket. He wasn’t sad upon finding money but he really couldn’t remember ever putting that there.

 

It made him try to remember when he had last worn it. He cursed when he remembered it was on the night he went to the club.

 

Had Lucas put it there? Why would he even do that? Did he think Mark was some kind of hooker that needed to be paid for a kiss?

 

Mark let out an annoyed huff in anger at only the thought of it.

 

“Hey Mark we’re needed for assistance to chase a burglar” Johnny said getting Mark out of his thoughts.

 

“Coming” Mark responds and he puts the coin back into his pocket.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It takes them a couple of hours and when they finally manage to catch the dude it’s not enough for him to only be an but he also has to spit in Mark’s face.

 

And Mark wonders how the hell he’s going to be doing this job for the rest of his life.

 

He’s washing his face for the third time while Johnny and Ten are almost dying of laughter when telling the story to their other colleagues and Mark knows this really isn’t going to help the teasing.

 

He walks away to his desk, grabs his stuff and decides to call it a day and go home.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When he gets home he decides to put on a rom-com to make himself feel better. But not before he makes some hot chocolate, grab some chips, popcorn, a bar of chocolate and a fluffy blanket.

 

Halfway in the movie Mark’s clothes get uncomfortable so he changes into some pajamas.

 

When he throws his jacket into the pile of dirty clothes he hears something clinking and is reminded of the coin that’s inside his pocket.

 

So he takes the coin out of his pocket and walks back to the living room, spinning the coin in between his fingers.

 

He comes to a stop when he suddenly sees something. Onto the coin is scribbled a tiny little number.

 

Mark has to keep it under the light to even see it. He looks at it carefully and discovers more numbers that are written onto the coin.

 

After he walks back to the living room to write the numbers down on paper he looks at them.

 

Mark’s trying to crack whatever mystery this is. He knows that if Lucas placed this coin into his pocket he surely wouldn’t have done it without a reason.

 

He really doesn't know what to make of it. It doesn’t look like a phone number to him, so what else could a string of numbers mean.

 

Knowing that he isn’t going to figure this out on his own, he grabs his laptop to find his partner in crime: google.

 

He ticks in the numbers and presses enter.

 

A location shows up. Mark can slap himself in the face: how dumb is he. Of course, they are coordinates, Lucas is a freaking pirate for god sake.

 

The coordinates lead to an industrial looking building just outside town. It’s only a fifteen-minute drive but it's late, and the movie is calling Mark so decides to check the building out tomorrow.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

That’s how Mark finds himself the next morning, really early and really tired -because he needs to do this before his work shift starts- driving to the location and he curses Lucas for that.

 

He arrives a while later, he carefully parks his car and inspects the building.

 

It looks old and abandoned but what if the man himself was there? He couldn’t risk getting a sword in his back.

 

After a while, he decides to go inside. He pushes against the door, easily gives in as if somebody left it open, waiting for him to come inside.

 

Mark wonders if the captain’s inside, and maybe he feels himself getting nervous at the thought of seeing the man again.

 

Inside he finds exactly what it looked like from the outside: an empty abandoned building. He looks at every corner of the building, only to find nothing.

 

And he doesn’t understand it, he really doesn’t. Why would the man send him here to look at a pile of dust?.

 

Did he do this just to annoy him? Mark ground in annoyance and balled his fist in anger.

 

He turns around to leave, and it’s only when he grabs the handle of the door when he feels something taped at the backside of it.

 

What? Mark pulls his hand away to find a piece of paper stuck to the door handle. He carefully undoes the tape and unfolds the paper. It turns out to be some kind of letter.

 

A couple of sentences are scribbled onto the note, but above all of that is a headline:

 

“Thinking of leaving already?”