vii. épaves

the great fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

SEVEN. ÉPAVES

 

"to be shipwrecked is not to drown"

 

 

 

JISOO+

 

          I could only hear the tapping of my fingers against the wooden kitchen counter, trying to maximize my thoughts and retreating my anxious mood, these human emotions have deflected my rationality and judgment. It does me no good. Well, maybe it does make me feel the most alive at certain moments. Just like how my heart clashed its own beats as I found myself in between my human's corrosive breath and delving eyes. The epiphany of having a human heart has waved high, emotions have breached self-control and in that moment, it was only Jennie that I can feel. Being that close to her body and presence felt like a forming energy of a young star too far away to be relevant in the universe. Yet she demands you to feel it. Making you know that she matters. Yes, she matters. 

Along the quiet cosmos, her triviality shouts to you. The same intensity, immense friction, and gaseous will to form new life was swirling inside my stomach. I did not knew it was possible to feel so spectacular from a small spark, but she did. Jennie felt spectacular. Her eyes sparked something in me 

— but wait. THAT'S NOT MY POINT. Why am I sliding off my own thoughts. Ugh.

"You can stop denying it, Jisoo." Lisa quickly disrupted my battling thoughts as if she was fully aware that I was in a dilemma. 

"What?" I scrunched my forehead.

"You know deep inside, you wanted to go for that kiss." Lisa who was sipping red wine by the couch was ready to catechize me after telling her what went down when Jennie and I bumped into each other at the welcoming party.

"I absolutely did not." I dignified more but the graveling of my insides just worsen. 

She swirled her eyeballs just like the snob that she was, "Yeah, right. You'll gonna die a liar if you keep rejecting your feelings."

"I don't want to cross the line, Lisa." I interjected. I do not wish for these paralyzing worries to abhor me.

"So you are aware that there's a line to cross now." Her words judged me as conspicuous. As expected.

"Okay can you stop ing it up? I just made a plan. And I prefer sticking to it." I rebutted too bitter than I should have. 

Lisa pulled herself back as she raised her palms in surrender, "Whatever you say, angel. You're the Great Fallen after all, everything comes your way. As far as the celestials are in favor."

"That's just you mocking me." I sighed, feeling hopeless for this conversation.

"Hey, I hear you. I want my wings back too. So I'm with you and with this complicated plan that you have." Her tone has become more convincingly genuine, and that made me a bit relaxed.

I deeply exhaled and prompted, "Alright then. I want you to schedule an event some time in a weekend. So that Krystal and Jennie can meet with them on our watch." 

She scoffed so feverishly, "Hm. That won't be a problem. I just brought a property on the upper lands. A mansion with a wide hectare plain space."

"And?" I tilted my head.

"I'm going to host a game that pathetic rich mortals play on bloody sunny weekends." A meaningful smirk graced Lisa's lips, indicating excitement. "Polo." She declared with finality.

It took a second for me to take that in so I questioned, "And why would you turn your yard into a Polo arena?"

"Because Chaeyoung fancies the equestrian. Might as well give her a reason to hang out with me more." There she effortlessly just reveals her manipulative intentions. But when I saw a genuine smile below her greedy lips, I knew she meant more than what was said. Lisa fancies her human a lot.

"You're not serious with Chaeyoung, right? You'll break her being when it'll be the time for us to go. She might not take it well." 

She then huffed over me, "Oh dear demon, You sound like I'm gonna impregnate her and leave her a son. I know my limits, angel. I do not wish to cause any permanent pain to mortals. They're too weak." 

"The celestials are as mischievous as you, so watch your feelings." I've let out a warning.

"You should tell that to yourself now, fallen angel. I'm not the one denying such feelings here." The accomplice beamed a meaningful look at me before she walked out of our space and left for sleep. Leaving me puzzled again on my own dimming thoughts.

Equating all my emotions to a specific dangerous feeling for Jennie Kim would be the utmost downfall of my plan. I do not tolerate such vulnerability. I have seen what love does to humans—so pleasing yet deadly. Too less of it is eternal yearning and too much of it is endless poison and it's rare to find ones who balance themselves in love. And I could not afford that burden.

...

School weeks were transient. It was one of those times where you don't know what day of the week was it. Everyone was just running on their own time and didn't care to stop and look at others. Being rich meant every second was gold, and seems like everyone in the school apprehended that mindset. I think everyone except for both of us fallen angels, and oddly enough, Eunwoo. 

Time bows to us immortals, and perhaps also to this Prince of Liechtenstein for this case. He seems to be the most tamed royal in here. He was with unclenched posture and calm persona as if time has been forever inessential, a contradicting effect prior to his heavy public and personal schedules. I even doubt Jennie could be this relaxed, that princess has always been a hustler. As if she will run out of days. She is only nineteen for pete's sake, imagine how much she could do for a thousand years with that pace.

Nowadays, she's out studying a bit more, which was a polar opposite to my prior assumptions. Jennie had been around with her battalion (just basically Kai and Irene) too much that I can't slide into her circle. But on a positive note, Krystal has managed herself to be in touch with Jennie at times. It was not hard to catch them walk together by the hallway or take their lunches in front of each other. It was a good progress to see, now I could go back to just observing her from afar. Just like how it has been since the first time she breathed.

"You should talk to her, you know." A sudden suggestion from Eunwoo caught me off guard. "What?" I flinched as I focused back to eating my salad. It was lunch. I was at the school's restaurant sharing a table with Eunwoo, Lisa and Chaeyoung.

"You are looking at the Princess of Monaco, right? You should go say hi if you want to." His words were so oblivious, I find it too amusing. 

"I wasn't looking at anyone, Prince Eunwoo." I rolled my eyes in denial. Of course, I was looking at Jennie but why would I admit that huh?

"Yeah I know I miss talking to Jennie too. Maybe we should get together some time. School has been hectic for everyone of us." The Prince has simply rejected my words and piled his own. If only I could do a face palm right now.

"We can always set a sail at the sailing club down at Fontvieille." Chaeyoung generously suggested.

Then Lisa made a deep sigh, "I would be down for that. I need a breather too. I've been all too worked up myself." The accomplice of mine has been stressing herself for weeks on end trying to refurbish the huge property she just bought. She was hand-ons with the overall design and structure of not just the mansion but also of the Polo Arena she was about to make. It's funny enough to see her dead asleep with her coffee getting cold while she does internal design research, she always forgets that she's mortal. 

"That's settled then. Let's just all meet downtown after class. I'm going to invite everyone I know." The prince prompted as we were about to ascend out of our seats when a commotion from across the room started to happen.

Suddenly an alarming feeling brushed through my skin as my eyes quickly looked for Jennie. I breathed in deep when timely a girl approached their table, her eyes were ready to skin the monegasque royal alive. I wondered what it was this time. 

"Wait. Look." I took their attention near Jennie's table.

"Is that Prince Amir's girlfriend? Natalia?" Chaeyoung quickly gave it away. It made sense to me now. Of course, the girlfriend rages out after knowing her man was banned to see her forever.

Evidently speaking, everyone had their attention at the tension building up by their table. This Natalia girl was chattering her lungs out in French while Jennie with her arm crossed agenda didn't give a . Typical of her.

When the Natalia girl started pointing her fingers down at her, the princess slowly stood up. In grave silence. Perhaps with fuming rage already under her stomach. 

"Perhaps you want to join your princely boyfriend in exile if you'll keep causing a scene like this?"

"You ruthless monarch! You shut off every communication I have with him! Even my family can not reach Amir!" The blonde girl sneered.

The princess just laughed in mockery, "My, my. Natalia. Why do you seem surprised? This is my country. I do what I want."

"This is the people's country, you selfish tyrant! I can't believe they tolerate a royal like you to be a jerk!"

With her striking feline eyes, the princess was about to spite her. She saw Natalia only as a lowly subject of hers. A common premise I presume. "Why don't you tell that to the King and maybe he can set his and my throne down for your convenience?"

This time Natalia growled as she screamed more, "Wait until I tell the magistrates the drag races that you go to at night!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter