prologue. the prophecy

the great fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
demons - imagine dragons

 

PROLOGUE. THE PROPHECY

 

+ JISOO

Drowning myself in shredding thoughts of void as if it consummates my wishful thinking of not having to confront, probably, the greatest mistake I've made in my thousand years of existence.

Worst of all, it was breathing, it was with flesh, it was well with gravity⁠—it was human!

"You really just saved her." Lisa dropping her jaw, perhaps, feeling tripped with my actions. "You know disobeying the order of the ce-"

"Oh, shut it. I know. I ing know." I slapped my forehead, thinking of the god tier dilemma I just made. Even my wings hurt thinking about it.

I flew into a hotel room in Hotel de-Paris Monte Carlo, together with Lisa, my fallen accomplice and my human, Jennie, who is apparently lying in bed was still drenched in saltwater.

"What did that Dead man even injected in your mind?" Lisa, who I assume, was more panicking than me  asked. "He said I could make a choice..." I directly said as I just gaze into my unconscious human. Jennie.

"And you choose to disobey the Order? Oh god, Jisoo! You know you can't intervene with human fate when Death has already appeared before it." Lisa attempted to remind me, all too late.

 In defense I said, "HE TRICKED ME!" with two palms wide open. 

"And you're suppose to be surprised?" Lisa argued with eyes rolling down to hell.

"Ugh." I exasperated. "Well, forgive me for thinking that saving her wouldn't be as much as a big dilemma to my existence!"

"Dilemma?! It's ing suicide, Jisoo. I tell you."

"What consequence would I be dealing with anyway?" I was pinched by the brow.

"Oh, you would not want to know." She shook her head enough that i was convinced that I was doomed. "Okay okay, stop. I don't want to hear it." I pointed my index finger out in gesture.

"Prophecies." She revealed nonetheless. "And Do you ing know the chances of fulfilling such one? Ugh, telling you doesn't even make a difference." Frustration has become her language.

"I know I've made a mistake but at least this princess gets to keep on living." Now my eyes retracted back at her. She's still sleeping. Her unconsciousness has been bothering me. Maybe I was so used to seeing her always moving, smiling, and alive that I couldn't afford to actually see her this motionless.

Jennie Kim. Nineteen. The Princess of Monaco. A bastard drag racer — My human.

She's supposed to be dead six hours ago, it was already 12 midnight when she took a wrong drift at a stiff route with a cliff of a hundred foot drop because she was losing the race where she placed a stupid bet with a dumbstruck prince of probably an unimportant place.

It was stupid. But what is stupid if it's not Jennie Kim?

I had to watch her and her newly purchased Ducati drop off the cold and unforgiving oceans of Monaco. Jennie was already knocked dead when she plunged into the water and then her body quickly suffered from hypothermia. There was blood coming out from her nose after suffering a concussion during the impact. Her lungs slowly stopped contracting. I was more displeased when I felt her bones in ache, her veins breaking, and her heart beating slower at that moment. She was in silent pain. For the 19 years of knowing her, she never shuts when she's hurt. She was all tongue and talk. She tells, screams and rages it all out. So I wasn't used to this—this quietness of hers. And as much as i didn't want to care, I also didn't want to see her this powerless, in a way.

It was not fair. She didn't deserve to die like this. She didn't deserve to die in a circumstance where I wasn't beside her, in any form. I should've been there. I shouldn't went back to my realm without checking on her. I was her fallen angel after all.

So with me and my reckless tendency to make hasty choices has tied a thin string between me and Death.

It happened when he arrived timely minutes before Jennie was going to release her last breath. I was in the water with him, watching the teenager slowly dissipate.

"I have met yet again The Great Fallen. What a delight." a low, strong, succumbing voice resonated the seas. Suddenly darkness canopied the atmosphere, as if you're breathing heavy dark metals. Death has arrived, with his ever petulant face and haunting cloak. He afflicted the place immediately. His sharp cheekbone and jawline were of fear, his hair were fiery red in anger, his skin was dead pale, his neck were of ghastly swelled veins climbing up to his throat, his eyes were black holes, and his hands were blades that can etch unbearable scars. Yet amidst all that darkness, Death was handsome. 

Because dying should supposed to be attractive, and so he became.

"I haven't seen you in years." I said as I smirked at him. "Nineteen. To be exact. Since your last human died." Death added as a reminder. I nodded in accord. 

"I was told you've been busy." I claimed. Then Death vouched in response, "Surprisingly, dying has become popular these days. And now this..."He took his eyes to Jennie, and observed. "...poor young thing." Death continued.

 "A devilish beaut has withered again." He again, projected.

"Hmm. Devilish? That's the least thing you could say." I thought out loud as I reminisce to the times where the young princess along with her intrinsic mischief has caused me everything, even my wings for that matter. Those were tough times.

"Do you really have to take her? " I questioned out of impulse.

"Do you want to let her go?" Death asked me back, with a sly grin grimacing on his crooked mouth. 

"I didn't know I had a choice not to." I responded.

I could hear Death's cryptic chortle as he says, "This universe revolves in choices, my angel. You just got to know when's the right time to decide." I found myself in existential crisis in between his words. What would I lose if I lost her, my human?

"I see that. But what differs?" Myself was rhetorical.

"Hm. That's something even dying could not fathom." He spoke in irony. "Hmm. Does living and dying really differ?... Is it living to die or dying to live?" He profoundly added.

I started to think. I intently looked at Jennie from a distance, as if I could find my answer in her dying soul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter