iv. midst of its entirety

the great fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

FOUR. MIDST OF ITS ENTIRETY

 

 

 

+ JISOO

 

"Look at the angel above who has fallen to love the flesh...look at the angel above..." I kept murmuring the first two lines of the prophecy as i was trying to decipher it in a way that I can figure out the clue. I was back in my gigantic room together with Lisa who was using my laptop to search some popular haute coutoure that she will be recommending to her human and by recommending I mean hacking her laptop and arrange a customized order from Europe. What an invasive creature. "You should stop deciphering that, you are the worst when it comes to metaphors." Lisa decided to condone me while I was thinking.

"Yeah, like you could do any better." I retorted a stealthy look with my reply. 

"You know, why don't you call that handsome dead man, maybe you could persuade him about what that means." Lisa frankly suggested.

"Looking for me?" A low thundering voice began to speak as we felt heat expanding in the room. "OH FUDJGLKE. CAN YOU NOT DO THAT?!" Lisa spread her wings as she startled herself, assuming she was more surprised than I was when Death suddenly appeared before us with his swindling hands on fire. "We do not do a burn the ing house down entrance here. Lower those flames, handsome." She continued her banter while pointing a finger at the man with eyes of black holes.

"My bad, thought it might impress malevolents like you." He lightly apologized. I think Death found my fallen apprentice's reaction amusing. "I think our wings wouldn't be comfortable." Lisa retorted her disapproval.

Death darkly chuckled then quickly took his attention to me, "So how's the great fallen doing with her mission?"

"Haven't figured out a word." I declared with exhaustion on my tone as I jumped into bed with Lisa. "Can't blame her she's slacking." Lisa was with her annoying words again, so I threw a pillow on her face for that comment. "Shut up."

"Well isn't that the whole point?" The handsome dead man questioned.

"What? You're saying I'm supposed to not interpret this?" My mind were in shackles again. What did he mean?

"It doesn't need interpreting. It needs context, a context you still have to find." Death revealed.

Yet I was still confused, "I'm not sure what kind of con-"

"It's a story, you wingless mortal." The annoying accomplice quickly cut me off as her tone implied that I was dumb enough not to get what Death said. What a .

"What?"

"Those rhyming lines is a story that's still not contextualized." Lisa added for my clarity.

"Listen, angel. The thing about prophecies is that you just don't randomly get one and fulfill it. The mission you were given will always have a personal connection with your existence. And as odd as it may seem maybe that's your unsung story waiting to be unfold." Death stated as his frightening dark voice started to tremble my bones. I should remind myself to keep a far distance since I was already vulnerable as a human being and if I happened to touch him, I'll be dead in a blink of eye. 

Then an enlightenment bestowed upon me. Death was right, I don't remember anything before I became a fallen angel. I was deprived from my memories, and oddly enough I didn't question that missing part of me until now. The urge of knowing my past was stirring my curiosity insignificantly. I mean, I should've start from something right? Maybe I was a spirit of the earth before? A demon? A benevolent? Or maybe even a mortal? Look at Lisa here, she still had memories of when she was a ghost on earth and when it was her time to reincarnate, the celestials judged her to be one of the fallen angels. Yet I'm here, only remembering the first time I flew with my wings and nothing else before that.

"So is this possible story inclined with my mission?" I asked, eyebrows meeting.

"Perhaps." Again Death gave me no assurance.

"But how am I suppose to know what to feed that devil's soul with?"

"Shall I offer you a deal in exchange for an answer?" His question fired a pit of exhilarating curiosity inside me. "Shoot me." I dared.

With a devilish smile he stated, "I'll make your fallen accomplice into a mortal to help you in fulfilling your plans but if you fail this prophecy, I shall have both of your lovely wings on my realm, the Infernal Chasm."

And without hesitation I said, "Deal."

"WAIT WHAT. WHY AM I PART OF THE BARGAIN NOW?" Lisa who was on the sides screeched in complaint. "Kim Jisoo, you're making a big mistake." Her hands were holding on to my arms while shaking it too tight along her voice in plead.

"You're my accomplice. Your loyalty should be with me." I reminded her with nonchalance.

Now with her jaw dropped on the ground, she was dumbfounded. "I am loyal to you but we don't need to give up my wings here do we?" Lisa found an excuse for herself.

"Did I just hear you complain?" I knocked out a dubious eye.

Lisa nervously laughed, perhaps feeling the tension. "Please, we know you're bound to fail just don't include me in this mess okay? I'll stop telling you that you're a self-absorbing, grumpy, old great fallen angel just please don't let me-"

"I said deal." I repeated myself with finality.

"." The fallen accomplice cussed as if she expected to maintain her safe space while having me as the master of the malevolents. Huh. You're always in danger when I'm your master, she should take note of that.

"Then deal it is." Death declared and in a snap of his finger, an instant fire burned Lisa's wings from behind. "Oh just great! Now I'm gonna die a mortal because of you." I saw my accomplice's pissed off face as she watched her beloved wings turn into ashes.

"I can bang you with a mortal if you'd like." I frankly suggested.

"Yuck! Don't ever speak that word in your mouth again. I'm already feeling as peasant as I am."

"It's a slang of the youth." I revealed as I found hilarity at her disgusted face.

"Now, it'd better be a great answer, handsome. I did not sacrifice my wings for some mediocre clue." Lisa took her attention to Death again who seemed to like the fate that we're in.

So he replied, "Find the thing that's missing on that human vessel. Once you've found it then make her feel whole for awhile and break her with it. A broken soul in its vulnerable moments will give the devil strength to overcome the human spirit. And when the right time comes, the devil shall be free."

"And when is that right time?" Lisa asked with her hand already on her chin.

"I'm no fortune teller here. Only the celestials know when." He prompted. Oh gosh, the celestials again. I don't even know if they really govern the realms. Everyone says they're just everywhere with no form nor appearance, they're the uncertainty of the future we can never fathom, even the Benevolents, no matter how righteous and holy they are, their future shall always be unpredictable.

"Something missing. hmm." I wondered. 

"I think I'm done here. I'll see you when  someone's dying nearby. May the celestials guide you both." Death said his farewell and in dark thundering clouds of mist he disappeared before us.

"Hmm. What does that stubborn princess lack, anyway?" I continued thinking as I relaxed myself again.

"Maybe more cars? More gambling? More gold? More boyfriends? More ?" Lisa's tone was becoming relentless. Perhaps still upset with her wings being gone.

"Not that." I dismissed Lisa's suggestion but as I was about to think again, a buzzing sound distracted me, someone was calling from my phone.

"Who is that?" My accomplice asked. I went and got my phone as I saw who was calling, "My brother."  I said then I accepted his call.

"Bonjour." I greeted.

"Bonjour, Jisoo! How's it going?"

"A bit bored to be honest." I sighed as I confessed.

"So I was wondering if I could invite you to join this clu-" Suddenly I heard two voices over the phone, they were probably taking over each other.

"Just give me the pho-"

"But I'm not do-"

"You talk too much."

"But Jennie itsmdkje-"

"Let me talk to her Kai."

"Oh-okay."

"Hey, this is Jennie. we'll be sending a limousine to take you here at Port de Fontvieille. We have a sailing club and Kai's was a lame to not invite you."

"Sure. Thanks for considering me. I'll meet you there in a while." I found their banter comical as a smile etched on my face. It was good to hear her voice again after a couple days of not seeing her. With that thought I thanked her again and dropped the call.

"What was that?" Lisa asked with confusion sketched in her voice as I faced her.

"It was Kai...then Jennie. She's inviting me to join their sailing club. So get dressed up because you'll be my plus one from now on." I prompted as I dragged her to my walk in closet. 

It was a great opportunity to bond again and know the circle that she was in. And I needed to add my accomplice to that circle so we can smoothly work together to lure the devil out of the soul of a princess. From then on I was determined sorting out who Jennie Kim was and what was she missing.

"Well you seem not upset." I was surprised at Lisa's sudden change of mood.

"I just thought if I get to dress myself differently everyday like this then being a mortal doesn't seem to be too much of a nuisance as what I've thought." She fancied herself too much I believe. We were already outside the mansion, waiting for the chauffeur to arrive and pick us up.

"And you were ting me earlier for dragging you into this." I gave her a blank look.

"Oh no, I'm still mad at you for that." She reminded.

"Hey, I needed all the help I could get." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Do you really think you'll succeed on this. Prophecies are just created to fail and let you prolong your suffering." She convicted her thoughts about my situation. And she's not wrong, my fate may bound to the Infernal Chasm, but if that would be the inevitable case, then might as well do everything I could to defy that fate. If I was meant to die, then let me die trying.

"Trust me, we may not seem to be progressing to success right now.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter