i. being a monégasque

the great fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

ONE. BEING A MONÉGASQUE

monegasque ; a native or inhabitant of Monaco

 

 

+ JENNIE 


It's a challenge to organize the events that have been congested on my mind and also the questions that I may never answer in this lifetime such as why am I in a hospital bed instead of dying in an open ocean? and why do I feel like my organs are still intact when I should be breaking my bones? Am I on the headlines yet? I'm guessing the King is already on his way to throw his crown at my face? or will I ever salvage my Ducati back? Why am I breathing?! Is this allowed?

I opened my eyes with these thoughts perplexing my well-being, "Agh!" I squealed out the waving pain in my head. It was not a good idea to move.

"Jennie!" A familiar voice was surprised by my consciousness. It was my best friend Irene, an Italian airline heiress. "Don't move too much." She continued as she directed me to lay my head  again. 

"Oh, why am I not dead?" I grumbled as I pouted in frustration. "Same question. Lucky you, you didn't break one bone, the doctors said it was a miracle." Irene revealed. It was conspiring how I'm so not into pieces of bones and flesh right now. 

"And I guess I should be glad, huh?" I huffed in chagrin, "When I just lost that Ferrari bet with that Dubai Prince." I continued to mourn over my loss, not just in fortune but in shame and dignity. 

"Seriously? That's still a raising concern to you? When you almost died while racing again." Irene expressed her worries, "How did you even survive from the drop?" She continued with a question.

I shrugged, "I don't know, maybe because I have royal privileges." I replied with sarcasm. Irene's face just went deadpan as a response, "Wow. I guess I should be a princess then." She mocked me on a tedious tone.

"You should. And maybe you can give that Dubai Prince a Ferrari for me." I obliged at her jest. 

Irene suddenly became silent as if she remembered something daunting. "Uhm." She stuttered. "I think your Father already did that for you."

I can feel the abnormal enlargement of my eyes as the words of Irene stung my ears, "WHAT?" my spirit was suddenly awake, I sprung my head up as my jaw dropped in disbelief. Among all the people, the King just had to be one to know. Ugh!

Irene bites her lips, indicating hesitance. "I mean, the hotel kinda reported your whereabouts to the whole royal family, that's why I knew you were here. Fortunately, I came earlier than them."

"Quick, let me get out of here!" I instantly panicked as I took myself out of bed, but as soon I step my foot on the ground a smash opened my bedroom door which made me fidget in shock. I turned around and it was the hell that I never wished for. "Father..." 

Then we shared an intense stare at that moment. His eyes, those familiar eyes of disappointment and anger were clear to me. Though it was all I've ever known, it still hurts me badly until now. Because I'll never be greater in his eyes, no matter what.

"Leave immediately and meet me at my castle's quarters once you're done. I have many things to discuss with you." He spoke of authority. Just like a King. "If you don't show up, don't expect me to give another Ferrari to cover up your filthy racing bets ever again."

His assertive voice crumbled my spirit again. I clenched my teeth out of resentment towards the King whom I grew up to hate. His demeaning eyes reminded me that he was already heartless, as if he died together with mom. Or did he? I crumpled my hands as I spoke weakly, "Would you ever ask if I'm okay?"

His stare was empty. He did not want to care so, after a painful moment he finally responded, "I suggest you to be quick." Then he turned away and left. Just like every time.

I felt Irene's hand touch my shoulders, timely to give me comfort, "I think it's best to follow your Father, Jennie." She affirmed as I nodded in agreement. Of course, it is always best to follow him. That's what everyone thinks. He is a King after all. He is a King to everyone - everyone but me.

...

"You can't let me!" I eluded my words. "Look, the magistrates have enough of your misbehavior and your constant rejection of your royal duties. If you continue this, the congregation would like you to be exiled from Monaco." The King further explain as he stringently fix himself on his desk.

"And you'll just let them? You're my Father."  I repelled as I was standing facing him. I can't believe that he gives no sympathy towards her own daughter.

"And I am also their King." He spoke in volume that swayed my confidence a bit too low. "And you are their princess, and they are your people too, Jennie. It's time to accept the blood that you're born with. You are a royal. Not a drag racer." He continued his argument.

"I am both!" I rebutted in force.

"Then be both! Do not abandon your responsibility as a princess just because you desire to fulfill that useless dream of yours!" The King had too much poison upon his words, as if it was meant to directly harm me. And it did. Even though I despise to be born into the throne of a monégasque heiress, it is still part of who I am.

"How dare you speak lowly of my dream as if it's not what mom desired me to be?" I can feel the veins in my neck boil in abhorrence, as I pierced my eyes to the King who had nothing but solid stone on his eyes. Mother has always supported my love for the road, the wheels, and the light of speed. But even that support has vanished into thin air six years ago. I was thirteen. It was the same moment where I stopped being a royal, because I just lost my reason to be one.

The King exhaled heavily with eyebrows more tensed than ever, "I expected that absurd dream has withered together with your Mother. I've tolerated you too much." 

"I-" I was suddenly speechless and found myself in loathing and it felt like thorns circling my neck as if it was choking me. With that I could not speak, so I decided to just face my eyes to the floor as I stopped myself from sobbing. Hearing his heartless words as if he has not loved or known my mother was too much for me to in.

"You're now in your Terminale year for being in Lycées. Now If you want to keep racing, then I expect you to be on top of your class this year. Preferably, you should be graduating with flying colors." Now he continued to be passive.

[Lycées - french term for secondary education/high school; Terminale - french term for senior year in Lycées]

"If not?" I asked in tension. Then he glared at me with utmost threat in his eyes, "If not, I don't have a choice but to give your fate to the magistrates of this country, and most probably they shall have you exiled."

And in between the Majesty's words I found no other routes to drive, it was the only way to escape. I can't believe there was no other way to do it. Have I reached dead end? I flunk at school, because it plainly to be in a system where you're reprimanded of what to learn and when to learn it. When I prefer learning as timing. 

"Am I understood?" He magnified authority, I gulped in agitation as I replied, "Yes, your Highness."

This was the account of being a Monaco royale, you feel the weight of gold more than the grandeur of its expense. What a true monégasquen way to live.

...

There is more to being a monégasque than entitling them as the richest arrogant asses in the world, even though that's partly true. But being a real monégasque comes along with a certain elegance and ancient class that has triumphed only to the native people who have grew together with Monaco's luxurious and royal culture. 

And of course, money. Why would even be in Monaco without fortune in your hands? More than a quarter of the population here are millionaires and everyone drives in fast luxury cars and rides on the biggest fancy yachts in the world. You'll drown yourself in our own people's affluence. It is maddening.

Now, since I have agreed to the King's requests I shall live everyday on his terms. It's my first time being grateful about school coming up in a few days since my royal security can't guard me when I'm inside campus. I've been attending the International School of Monaco, and it has been my foreground ever since. And of course, I rule this area. What's the purpose of the innate monarchaic tendencies that I have? 

"I really don't understand why we're doing this." Irene finally bursts out her complaints as we try to learn the gameplay of Tre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter