The Promise

Forgotten Past

After a couple of months, Kyuhyun oppa went to our house.

“Say, what’s the matter now?” I asked.

“Don’t act like you don’t know anything. They called you, too, right?”

Called me, too? So, that was it. They picked Kyuhyun oppa, only him. But I can’t blame them. Oppa’s voice was so perfect, unlike mine. Why was I trying to sing, by the way? I was not s good singer after all.

“Yah! They called you, too, right? He repeated.

“No, they didn’t call me,” I answered and flashed a fake smile.

“Stop kidding around! They called me so I know that they called you, too. We both passed because we sang together.”

“I’m not kidding.. Yes. We sang together. But it doesn’t mean that we both passed. You have perfect voice but I don’t!”

“Of course you have! Who said that you don’t?! We’re like a group; that if one passed, it means that the whole group passed, too!” he retorted.

“You’re right! We’re like a group so if you passed. It feels like I passed, too. I’m happy for you, oppa. Congratulations!!”

He stood up and walked towards the door.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“To that stupid SM Entertainment and tell them that I want to quit!” he answered.

“QUIT?! BABO!! You’re not an official artist but you want to quit already! What made you think of that non-sense?!”

“What’s the sense of being an artist if my best friend won’t be with me?! We made our dreams together. We’ve been to a lot of problems and troubles. You were always there each time I humbled, each time my dad said that singing was just a waste of time. We’ve together trough ups and downs. That’s why… I wanna be famous with you!”

My heart melted when he said those words. Again, I felt how lucky I was to have him.

I hugged him and said, “Oppa, you know, you’re so stupid. Don’t dare do that or else, forget that we’ve met.”

“But how about you?” he asked.

I released from the hug and said, “It’s okay. Don’t worry about me. I think singing wasn’t the right thing for me though.”

“Is that so? … Okay!” he said and smiled.

“But promise me, don’t forget me even if you become the most famous singer in Korea, okay?”

He smirked and said, “Of course, I won’t forget you. If I became the most famous singer in Korea, no, maybe even in the world, I’ll proudly tell them that you’re my one and only STUPID best friend!”

“Most famous singer in the world? Isn’t that too much dreaming, oppa? And wait… stupid best friend, huh? You’re more stupid than me!... But promise, you won’t?”

“Yeah, yeah. PROMISE!!” he said and petted me.