sooyoung is a total softie, don't let her tell you otherwise

we going SPACE SQUAD

United World University for Space, United Korea Branch

Seoul, South Korea, United Earth Alliance

[Time Frame: (Present time) ‘97 line + Vivi aboard the SSV LOONA. Hyejoo, Yeojin, Chaewon, Yerim, Heejin, and Hyunjin are now in their last year (Year 4/Senior) at UWUS]

 

/

 

Hyejoo glanced around the canteen. There was a buzz in the air, as expected. This was their Senior year at UWUS after all.

The senior cadets were all excited for graduation, which was a week away. Coupled with that was the usual tradition of arriving Alliance officers.

During the last month of senior year, the Alliance military often sent high-ranking officials to all of the UWUS in hopes of recruiting cadets with huge potential. If you were deemed worthy, the Alliance would offer an immediate position within the Alliance Marines or Navy Fleet.

 

“Have any of you been contacted yet?” Hyejoo asked around their table.

Chaewon and Yeojin were playing some type of game. Yerim watched the two while stealing some of Hyejoo’s chips. Heejin was catching up on the galaxy news on her Omni-tool. Hyunjin shoved some bread in before shaking her head at the question.

“Hmm.”

Hyejoo and her friends were all ranked within the school’s top ten as they entered Senior year. So indeed, it was a bit strange that this year’s top students weren’t contacted yet by any Alliance officers.

“Relax, Hyejooooo!” Chaewon spoke up from her game, “I’m sure the Alliance will be lining up to speak with us at Graduation.”

“I don’t think it works like that.” Heejin’s eyes crinkled as she smiled, “But that’s the attitude!”

Hyejoo chuckled. She relaxed a bit before realizing that half of her chips were gone.

“HEY!”

 

/

 

“Woooow, this brings back memories!”

Jinsoul had her hands on her hips, head looking up at the familiar buildings of Seoul’s UWUS.

“Ahhh, good times.” Sooyoung beamed a smile.

Haseul matched it before looking at their new addition, Vivi. She tried to include the special ops soldier into the trio’s usual antics as much as possible.

“How about you? What was Hong Kong’s UWUS like?”

Vivi flashed her a small smile. “Same as any other UWUS, really. Except I was accepted into the school’s sharpshooter program rather quickly. The combat classes were harsher than the norm.”

Haseul nodded, cataloging that piece of info in the back of her mind.

 

“Let’s get going. Can’t wait to see all of this year’s potential!”

“Oh yes! I’m going to have fun scaring the students.”

“Wha—take it easy, Sooyoung!”

 

Jinsoul excitedly ran ahead, yelling at them to hurry up. Sooyoung caught up with her while Haseul and Vivi trailed right behind them.

 

/

 

“Son Hyejoo, please report to the counselor’s office. I repeat, Son Hyejoo, please report to the counselor’s office.”

Hyejoo had looked up as the PA system called her name.

“Pfft, what did you do now?”

Yeojin laughed at her. Honestly, Hyejoo had no idea. Did she set up another prank and forget about it?

“Im Yeojin, please also report to the counselor’s office.”

Hyejoo smirked at Yeojin, “What did you do this time?”

Yeojin playfully shoved her. “Whatever, let’s just get going.”

 

Hyejoo and Yeojin made their way out of the campus library. For once, they were actually studying.

As the duo entered the administrative building, they spotted the rest of their friends. Hyejoo looked at Yeojin, who was just as surprised as she was.

The two quickly joined their friends sitting outside the counselor’s office.

Yerim was the first to notice them, brightly waving hello. “Hey guys!”

“Wait, if you two are here… then are we in trouble?” Heejin wondered out loud.

“I PLEAD THE FIFTH!” Chaewon shouted all of a sudden.

Yeojin nodded and clasped her hand with Chaewon’s. “SILENT PACT.”

Hyunjin jokingly scowled. “For a silent pact, you sure are LOUD.”

Hyejoo merely smiled at their squabbling. “I don’t think we’re in trouble if all of us are here. If it was just me and Yeojin, then probably.”

Yerim jumped at her words, “Hey, don’t sell yourself short! Other than your pranks and flight scores, you two are just softies!”

“Yeah, I guess we—HEY!”

 

The whoosh of the Counselor’s office door opening interrupted her.

Counselor Park Kahi raised an eyebrow at the sight. They all looked like mannequins looking back at her.

The Counselor chuckled amusingly. “What are you kiddos doing? C’mon now, in you get.”

She waved the cadets in, all of them waddling into her office like a line of penguins. They all plopped down on the comfy chairs.

As Counselor Park sat down at her desk, Heejin noticed that there were 4 additional chairs.

“Now, I know you’re all wondering why you were all called here.” She glanced at each of them before continuing. “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble.”

At that, Hyejoo and Yeojin physically deflated in relief. Counselor Park just smiled at their reaction.

“But. The reason why you all are here is still important. It’s not often we get such promising cadets.”

The girls perked up. Each of them were slowly starting to realize what their Counselor’s words meant.

 

A knock at the door interrupted their inner thoughts.

Counselor Park stood as she said, “Come in.”

The door whooshed open and in came 4 Alliance officers.

The cadets followed Counselor Park and stood at attention. Their posture became almost ramrod straight as they immediately noticed the high ranks pinned to their uniforms.

It was only when Haseul flashed a friendly smile that the girls relaxed.

Counselor Park started the introductions. “Cadets, this is Captain Jo Haseul, a captain under Vice Admiral Jaden Jeong’s 12th Fleet.”

Haseul waved with a smile.

“These two next to the Captain are Commander Ha Sooyoung and Commander Jung Jinsoul. They’re Captain Jo’s XOs.”

Jinsoul had a wide grin on her face. Meanwhile, Sooyoung had a neutral expression. Hyejoo felt like Commander Ha’s eyes were a bit intense.

“And this is Alliance Spec-Ops Officer Wong Kahei.”

“Vivi is fine.” Vivi’s voice was cool and collected but still friendly.

 

“So, these are the Top 6 of this year?” Commander Jung asked, an expectant look in her eyes.

“Yes, they are. They’re all seniors set to graduate next week.” Counselor Park went ahead and forwarded the cadets information to the officers’ omni-tools.

The 4 officers skimmed through the data. The cadets remained quiet, still a little bit nervous with the company.

“I see. All of your scores are exceptional.” Captain Jo’s lips quirked up, in an approving manner. It kinda reminded Hyejoo of a proud parent.

“Yes, and your instructors have included your prior scores as well. It’s good to see improvement.” Commander Ha commented on the cadets’ performance data, which was from their freshman year to now. “If your scores were always perfect, then that would’ve been a bit worrying.”

Commander Ha’s sharp gaze landed on each of them. The cadets fidgeted a bit under her scrutiny until Commander Jung interrupted.

“Ok, ok. Enough with the scores. There’s only so much simulations can tell.”

“She’s right.” Captain Jo was quick to follow. “Cadets, for the next few days, we’ll be shadowing your classes. It’ll be an observation to see if you all are qualified for a position among my crew.”

Haseul paused to let her words sink in.

“Just relax and be yourselves. We’ll be looking forward to how you all do.”

She ended it with a warm smile. Vivi nodded, Sooyoung remained neutral, and Jinsoul said a quick ‘Good luck!’ before the 4 stood up.

They exchanged goodbyes before they left the cadets with the Counselor.

Counselor Park looked back at her students. “Well, I’m sure you’re all buzzing with excitement and nervousness right now. Just know that I have high hopes for you all.”

The Counselor dismissed them after giving out a few tips and words of encouragement.

 

/

 

 Holy shiiiiit. GUYS. We just met the Jo Haseul, one of the youngest graduates to attain the rank of Captain in the Alliance Navy!”

Chaewon waved her hands wildly.

“Not to mention Jung Jinsoul . She’s been named as one of the most promising in the Alliance’s R&D branch!”

Heejin spazzed a little. Just a little.

“Ok, ok, but did you forget about Ha Sooyoung ? The 12th Fleet’s Spearhead? She single-handedly took on enemy platoons by herself and won .”

“Guys, remember that viral video of the Alliance Combat Exchange? The one with the record-breaking sharpshooter? Pretty sure that was Wong Kahei . The same one in the room with us.”

Hyejoo felt butterflies in her stomach. She was sitting in the same room as famous rookie Alliance officers. She bet that each one of them could kick her in like 10 seconds.

And they were gonna be observing her and her friends for the next few days??? Like, talk about pressure.

She was shaken out of her thoughts by a hand on her shoulder. She turned to see that it was Heejin’s hand. The rest of her friends were looking at her a bit worryingly.

“Hey, you good? You were being a little too quiet.”

Hyejoo nodded. “Yeah… just a bit nervous. I mean, this is a big deal. If they think we’re good enough, we might be joining the Alliance right away.”

This was her goal, their goal all along. 4 long years of studying and training just for a chance to join the Alliance Military. And if she could get in with her friends, it’d be that much sweeter.

“Awww, I think Hyejoo’s nervous.” Yerim smirked, “I think she needs... a GROUP HUG! 

Hyejoo yelped as she was drawn into a tangle of limbs and warm bodies. Giggles and groans were let out as the group squished into a huge hug.

 

/

 

Haseul giggled. “Aww, they remind me of us when we were still cadets.”

“Pfft, as if.” Sooyoung cooly crossed her arms.

She was taken by surprise when Vivi laughed at her.

“Don’t kid yourself. I’ve only known you for a week and I already know that you’re the biggest softie among us.”

Haseul laughed out loud as Jinsoul went ‘OOOOOOHHHHHH’.

Sooyoung grumbled as her ears went red. “ Whatever .”

“Awww, does Sooyoungie want a group hug too?”

“Wha—NO!”

“TOO LATE!”

And that was how Counselor Park found Sooyoung squished in between her laughing friends, failing to hide her smile.  

 

(Counselor Park absolutely took pictures and she absolutely sent them to Haseul.)

 

/