welcome to hell — oops, i mean Omega Station

we going SPACE SQUAD

[Omega, Sahrabarik, Omega Nebula 

Terminus Systems space 

SSV LOONA docked at Omega Station] 

 


 

Sooyoung stood by the Shuttle Bay’s procurement terminals. She watched as the recruits suited up in their battle armor, still a bit slow and unused to the routine. She gave out the order when they were still a few clicks away but soon approaching Omega. 

 

You never know what kind of wild could happen on that husk of a station. Trust her when she says she’s experienced some real weird, freaky stuff with Haseul and Jinsoul during their time on Omega. (Like accidentally getting dragged into the middle of a turf war that lasted for a week. Sooyoung shudders at the memory. Fun, but utterly terrifying. Never again, no thanks, once was enough.)

 

The ship’s ramp came down when Haseul walked into the Cargo Bay. The team settled in a loose semi circle around the senior officers, ready for the mission brief. 

 

“Ready?” 

 

Sooyoung nodded. “Everyone’s suited up.” 

 

Haseul quickly scanned her squad once more before giving out orders. 

 

“Sooyoung, you’re with me. We need to verify some intel first. 

 

In the meantime, Vivi will take the recruits to check out the markets. Get some souvenirs or after-market mods. Don’t cause trouble but keep an ear on the ground if you can. See what the locals know. 

 

Jinsoul, I’m sending you some coordinates I want checked out. There’s been reports of suspicious activity there. Take Jungeun and Jiwoo with you as backup.” 

 

The squad shuffled around until they were grouped by the tasks assigned from their Captain. 

 

“Clear? Good. Let’s move.” 

 

Three groups were formed as they disembarked the LOONA. 

 

“Vivi, take the Carrd District. Jinsoul, you’re heading to the Kima District. Sooyoung and I will be relatively near Vivi’s location.” 

 

“Radio the comms channel if anything comes up.” Sooyoung pointed to her in-ear comms. A stern look followed her next words. “And keep your weapons away . Unless your team leader says otherwise.” 


 


 

“Alright kiddos, let’s see what’s on the market today.” Vivi said as she led the group through the Carrd District. 

 

This District was known as the marketplace and controlled by the Elcor, an alien species that was recognizable by their elephantine appearance. 

 

Numerous vendors set up shop here. They were hollering and calling out to passersby to take a look at their wares. 

 

Hyunjin and Hyejoo enthusiastically took the lead. The two shock troopers found a merchant for weapon and armor mods. With stars in their eyes, they browsed the wares and engaged the vendor in an in-depth conversation about the durability and effectiveness of his wares. Vivi stood near them, eyeing a particular sniper rifle mod that she knew was newly released. 

 

Yeojin checked out another vendor nearby. This one sold some general goods, like ship models and souvenir shirts. 

 

Heejin, Chaewon, and Yerim stood in front of a food stall. The scent of various spices floated in the air, both native and exotic spices that came from trade to the station. There were bowls and skewered meats on spinning displays. The tantalizing smell and sight of local food attracted the recruits immediately. 


 


 

Jinsoul kept quiet as she hid behind a wall. There were a few armed Cerberus soldiers ahead. They were occupying a building in the Kima District, doing who knows what inside. 

 

Jiwoo was in cover behind a wall adjacent to Jinsoul. Jungeun was in between them, crouched behind a conveniently stacked wall of large cargo containers. 

 

Let’s backtrack a little. When they had first entered the Kima District, the place looked near abandoned. Jinsoul had been to Omega a couple times to recognize the station’s districts but this was something else. The residential area looked more run down than the usual slums around here—and this is Omega we’re talking about! Most likely the scummiest place in the galaxy. They probably even used that phrasing as their tag line. 

 

She should have known that Cerberus was the reason behind it. (The abandoned district, not the run-down part. That was largely due to Omega being a haven for… let’s say, morally shady occupations .)

 

After making their way further into the district, the team spotted two Cerberus agents dragging a corpse. Of all things, a corpse. To make matters worse, the agents disposed of the body in a pile of corpses. All kinds of species were there; human, turian, asari—even a krogan’s headplate could be seen in the pile. 

 

Jinsoul wrinkled her face in extreme distaste. She angrily muttered under her breath, “Another experiment… when will you bags learn.” 

 

Jiwoo gagged and nearly threw up. Jungeun turned slightly pale too. Jinsoul frowned deeply in worry; she didn’t want her teammates to see Cerberus’s evil methods firsthand. Well... she knew they would but she didn’t think it’d be so soon. 

 

Jinsoul gently rubbed her teammates’ backs, trying her best to comfort them. She quietly said, “I know it’s not a pretty sight but we have to find out exactly what they’re doing with their bodies. They don’t deserve this.” 

 

The Commander gave them a few minutes to recover. 

 

“I’m good...I think…” 

 

“Ugh… yeah same.” 

 

Jinsoul nodded at their affirmations. She remained quiet, not commenting when Jiwoo wiped the spittle from or when Jungeun had to take a few minutes to regulate her breathing. It was only when she deemed them ok to resume their duties that she pulled her Commander voice out. “Ok, let’s get closer.” 


 

And here they were, trying to get closer to the building occupied by Cerberus without getting seen. Jinsoul made a hand gesture at Jungeun and Jiwoo to move up. She ducked and followed after they sneaked forward. 

 

Eventually, they all converged at a low wall next to a bridge. It was the only way across the building. And the only way out too. 

 

Jinsoul turned to her team with a concerned expression. “I’ve got a bad feeling. This bridge is the only way in or out of the building.” 

 

Jungeun nodded in agreement. “It’s a prime spot for a trap.” 

 

“So do we go ahead? Or…?” Jiwoo trailed off, unsure of the situation. There was no better option here that she could see. 

 

Jinsoul paused to think. On one hand, it was a possible trap. On the other, they had to figure out what Cerberus was up to. Too many potential lives depended on it… including those that had already suffered by the organization’s hands. 

 

“Let’s go on ahead.” Jinsoul brought up her omni-tool. “But let’s call for backup first, just in case it is a trap.” She muttered under her breath, “Knowing Cerberus, it most likely is.” 

 

Jungeun and Jiwoo shared a look of agreement. 


 

After the message was sent out, Jinsoul led them over the bridge. The three sneaked over to an alternate entrance, silently taking out Cerberus soldiers whenever they encountered them. 

 

Eventually, they reached the building. And what they found inside the building horrified them. Even more than the pile of corpses laid out on the doorstep. 

 

Jinsoul’s stomach felt like a sinking pit. She was sure Jungeun and Jiwoo felt the same, judging by their small gasps and squeaks of disgust, followed by their paling faces. 

 

The inside of the building looked like a quarantine zone. Kinetic shields blocked off what looked like the experimental area. Corpses were laid on autopsy tables, some cut open and left there. The smell of death and decay filled the air, letting them know that it had been some period of time since the passing of the bodies. Tubes, long and wide, connected all of the bodies to a large device in the middle of the room. The device looked like a domed energy source. It glowed an eerie blue. 

 

Jinsoul’s eyes widened when she realized what the energy source was. 

 

Raw eezo.  

 

“Man… this is so sick and twisted.” Jiwoo grimaced. She’s never seen something like this before. The sight made her stomach churn, and underneath the disgust and horror, she could feel her blood beginning to boil. 

 

Jinsoul tried to figure out what Cerberus was trying to achieve with this. The device transferred what looked like some form of eezo to the corpses. Said corpses glowed the same eerie blue as the element zero did. The bodies looked like they were undergoing a mutation. 

 

The Commander’s brow furrowed, making her look mildly upset. “At least there are shields up. Let’s try to find a way to shut this down safely.” She made her way up to the second floor. “Jiwoo, keep an eye out.” 

 

“Roger.” Jiwoo equipped her shotgun with practiced ease and stood by the doorway. Her body was tense, from the whole situation… but mostly from the sight and stench of the desecrated corpses. 

 

Jinsoul and Jungeun rifled through the upstairs office area, shifting through datapads and the terminals available. 

 

A powerful feeling of utter disgust and nausea filled Jinsoul, as well as deja vu. As a scientist, this was pure horror. As a human being, this was just—indescribable really. How could anybody do this and not feel that it’s wrong? 

 

She quickened her pace of searching. The faster she was, the faster she could help put a stop to Cerberus’s wicked experiments. 


 


 

“What kind of intel are we after? And in Omega of all places.” Sooyoung asked Haseul as they made their way to the only nightclub on Omega. Afterlife

 

“The case we found on Sanctum… a pure deposit of raw eezo inside.” 

 

Sooyoung reeled back in surprise at the revelation. It looked like she had a violent spasm for a second. “Eezo?!” 

 

Haseul nodded, “Yup. I can only see Cerberus using it as a power source for their heinous projects.” 

 

The two officers entered the club and took a seat at the bar. Sooyoung flagged down the bartender. 

 

“As for why we’re on Omega… I received some intel from Major Park that who we’re looking for was sighted recently.” 

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened for a fraction before she masked it. Cerberus? Here on Omega? 


 

A Turian bartender came to them. His mandibles clicked as he greeted them. “What can I get for you ladies?” 

 

Sooyoung leaned in, prompting the Turian to do the same. She discreetly slid a credit chit towards him as she said, “Looking for some black and orange armor. Know where I can get some?” 

 

All across the galaxy, the same concept applied: bartenders were a good source of information. Get someone relaxed and they’ll start talking. Get someone drunk and they’re suddenly a storyteller. And who better to listen than someone sober supplying the booze? Bartenders made good listeners, willing or not. 

 

The Turian narrowed his eyes before returning to an expressionless state. He pocketed the credit chit and began wiping an empty glass. 

 

“Kima District. That should be what you’re looking for. Although it’s closed off at the moment… no idea why though.” The bartender replaced the glass. “You’ll want to go through Gozu District to get there.” 

 

Haseul went stiff at the mention of Kima. Sooyoung noticed out of the corner of her eye but drew no attention to it. At least, not in the presence of another. 

 

“Thanks for the help.” The conversation was deemed over by her dismissive words. 

 

The Turian nodded before attending to another bar patron. But not before whispering, “None of us would lose any sleep if any of them end up missing.” 


 

Sooyoung waited until the Turian left before she turned to her Captain. “What’s—“ 

 

“I just sent Jinsoul’s team to Kima!” Haseul spit out in a low tone with her head ducked down. 

 

Aww … Sooyoung widened her eyes in realization before immediately returning them to a more casual state. They were still in public after all, with eyes and ears all around them. Jinsoul’s team had just walked in to exactly where Cerberus was hiding. 

 

“Fuc-“ 

 

An urgent beeping from both of their Omni-tools interrupted Sooyoung. The message read: Need backup in Kima. Cerberus sighted.