it's CAPTAIN haseul now

we going SPACE SQUAD

Earth, Year 21XX

0800 Hours 

Seoul, South Korea

United Earth Alliance’s, United Korea Branch, Military Space Station & Dock

 

/

 

Haseul was not a troublemaker. 

At least… she tried not to be. 

But when you’re friends with one Jung Jinsoul and Ha Sooyoung, you’re bound to be dragged into trouble whether you like it or not. 

Don’t get her wrong, she loves those two to death. As Jinsoul once said, they’re each other’s ‘ride or die’ . Sooyoung had guffawed into her drink but agreed with the statement. Mind you, this was when they were all getting plastered after returning from a rather grueling field assignment. 

 

 

Anyways . Back to the situation at hand. Haseul was not intentionally a troublemaker. 

So when she found herself sitting in her reporting Vice Admiral’s office, she could only assume that the matter was related to her two dorky friends. 

“Sir. With all due respect, I still don’t understand…” 

“Of course. That’s to be expected.” 

Vice Admiral Jaden Jeong folded his hands together, setting his chin upon them. An easy smile was on his face, as if he didn’t just ask her to do the impossible. 

“I am asking you to perform an unprecedented task after all.” 

Haseul remained quiet, still trying to wrap her head around the idea the Vice Admiral just told her.

VA Jeong chuckled. “Let me explain it again.” 

“Basically, what I’m asking for is a mobile tactical squadron… a squad if you will.” 

The Vice Admiral merely laughed at her unimpressed face before continuing. 

“We as the United Earth Alliance are simply spread too thin. Space is massive, as you know. The Alliance’s forces are tasked with protecting current planets, colonies, and other territories among those.” 

Haseul nodded. This basic information was drilled into all the Space Cadets’ heads at every United World University for Space. UWUS, for short. 

“But! The Alliance Fleet can’t exactly pull up whenever there’s minor crimes being committed.” 

VA Jeong paused, amusement creeping on his face. “Even if the image would be hilarious.” 

Ok, even Haseul cracked a grin at that. 

“So! You see the dilemma?” VA Jeong bobbed his head excitedly. “Top Brass wants to test out a couple of solutions. One of my ideas is to assemble specialized mobile tactical squadrons capable of moving quickly and neutralizing the problem efficiently.” 

 

 

A pause. She had to let her brain soak in the information for the second time. Now the next question was: “And you want me to lead one of these squads?” 

The Vice Admiral bobbed his head even faster, if possible. This time, a grin accompanied the motion.  

“And I want you to lead.” 

Ok, so now Haseul was less confused. That didn’t mean she got everything though. 

“Sir, if I may ask… why me? Why not another—?” Her voice came out hesitantly before getting cut off. 

“Oh, c’mon now Haseul. Don’t give me that.” 

VA Jeong held a warm smile. “I’ve taught you at the University myself. I’ve seen how capable you were then and how you’ve grown now. There’s no one else I would trust with this project.” 

Haseul had to pause, or else she’d cry in the Vice Admiral’s office. It wouldn’t be the first time, though. 

But wait, there was still something else bothering her. 

“But Sir, what about—” 

“Your friends, I’m assuming?” VA Jeong had a knowing look. “Don’t worry. If you choose to accept this mission then I’ll take care of that.” 

 

 

Well, that was it basically. Nothing to lose, she supposed. 

“Alright. I accept.” 

 

 

Vice Admiral Jeong smiled giddily, like an excited child in a toy store. “Excellent! Congratulations on your promotion then, Captain Jo Haseul.” 

The Vice Admiral stood up to shake Haseul’s hand. She smiled at his enthusiasm, wasn’t she suppose to be the excited one here? 

She brushed it off; the Vice Admiral’s always been eccentric, even dating back to when he was the trio’s University teacher. 

“So, when are Jinsoul and Sooyoung getting briefed?” 

“Well, I asked them to report here before you arrived. So, maybe right about—” 

 

 

Two knocks at the door rang out.

 

 

“—now.” 

Vice Admiral Jeong chuckled like he was expecting it. “Come in.” 

“Hellooo Professor~ Oh! Haseul, you’re here!” 

Jung Jinsoul’s cheery voice bounced off the walls of the Vice Admiral’s office. Following it was Ha Sooyoung’s. If you wanted to physically hear confidence, then she’s your girl. 

“See, Soul? Told you Haseul would be here.” 

Jinsoul merely grinned as she greeted her. “Seullie! We were looking for you at breakfast.” 

She paused, narrowing her eyes. “Wait, are you in trouble? I swear, whatever it was, it wasn’t me!” 

Haseul snorted, “No, I’m not in trouble.” 

She raised her eyebrow, “Unless you’re hiding something again.” 

“NOPE! I got nothing, ahaha…” 

Jinsoul sheepishly trailed off while Sooyoung kept shut, looking amused. 

“Ahem. Why don’t you two take a seat. You’re not in trouble this time.” Vice Admiral Jeong suggested. 

“You hear that? This time. ” Jinsoul whispered and nudged her two friends as she slouched in her seat. 

“So Professor, what’s up?” 

Haseul had to smile at Jinsoul’s casual attitude. Of course, it was only because Vice Admiral Jeong was their professor at the Academy. Anybody else and Jinsoul would have been put on probation for sure. 

“It’s been years and you still call me Professor.” 

“What can I say, 4 years at space University and it became a habit.” 

“Ah yes. Has it already been 2 years since your graduation?” 

“Yup. And since we became Lieutenants right after.” Sooyoung reminded. 

“My, my, how time has flown by.” VA Jeong’s warm smile returned, as if reminiscing. “Speaking of rank, that’s why I called you all here.” 

 

 

Jinsoul and Sooyoung sat a bit straighter, but still kept their friendly demeanors. It was hard to be serious sometimes when you’ve had history with a goofy professor for 4 years. Space History actually. 

“I’ll keep it short. You two are getting promoted and will be traveling with Haseul to form part of the Alliance’s upcoming tactical Space Squad project.” 

“I—what?” 

“Sir?” 

“Wow, that was really short.” 

The Vice Admiral grinned before actually briefing the two Lieutenants. 

“And there you have it. You two are now promoted to the rank of Commander and you’ll be under the new command of Captain Jo Haseul.” 

Sooyoung blinked. “Starting now?” 

“Starting now.” VA Jeong nodded. He turned to Haseul. “As soon as the three of you are ready, report to Hangar 7. Your new ship will be docked there.” 

Haseul stood up and saluted. Jinsoul and Sooyoung followed suit. 

“Sir!” 

VA Jeong dismissed them cheerfully. “Good luck!” 

 

 

The girls were almost out the door when Haseul turned back. 

“Wait. Exactly how many people are we suppose to have?” 

Vice Admiral Jeong hummed before answering. “As many as you feel necessary. A team is only as good as the chemistry between its members. But do keep in mind that it’s a Squad, not a whole Platoon.” 

Haseul nodded, a bit skeptical. As if finding people with the right synergy and combat abilities that match them would be easy in the United Earth Alliance’s population. That’s not even counting the alien populations! 

 

 

“Oh! I have only one candidate I want to recommend. I’ll forward it to you.” He tapped a few keys on his computer. “Otherwise, I’d suggest you visit the University. Might be some diamond-in-the-roughs there.” 

 

/

 

Haseul marched down the hall, the sound of her standard-issue military boots echoed at a steady pace.  

With Sooyoung and Jinsoul flanking her sides, the three were dressed in their Alliance Navy uniforms. Their new ranks were pinned along the left side of their chest, shining brightly like it just jumped out of the metal press. 

They each carried a standard-issue duffle bag, filled with their personal belongings and snacks and what not. You could only take so much stuff onto a spaceship anyways.  

The only difference in appearance between the three of them was Jinsoul’s black Alliance baseball cap, Haseul's Captain-rank pins, and Sooyoung’s bomber jacket.  

 

 

As the three marched down the hall, they passed the wide-open bay doors with HANGAR 7 spray painted on it. The mechanics were often the rebellious and artsy types.  

Right as they entered the hangar space, a frigate-class spaceship caught their attention.  

“Whoa.” 

The three assumed it was Haseul’s new warship. There wasn’t much else in Hangar 7 except Earth-space fighter jets and the usual cargo transport ships. 

“LOOK at the size of her! Gotta be about… 215 meters long?” Jinsoul rolled up her uniform sleeves, eagerly taking in the size and appearance of the warship. Her eyes rapidly scanned the ships exterior. “No way! Is that the latest engine from Alliance R&D?!” 

A snort and a chuckle came from Sooyoung and Haseul respectively. 

“Easy there. I forgot how much you nerd out over tech.” Sooyoung placed a hand on Jinsoul’s shoulder. An attempt to calm the bouncing blonde. 

The warship mentioned was indeed 215 meters long, as expected from Jinsoul, the resident engineer and tech expert. The frigate was painted black on top, with white covering the ship’s under belly. A silver stripe ran between the two colors, acting as the median. Near the end was the ship’s name. 

“Huh? SSV... LOO Phi Delta?” Sooyoung tried to read the ship’s name, struggling with the stylized font of Greek letters. 

Jinsoul laughed. “Nooo, it’s SSV LOONA. Like the moon!” 

Haseul adjusted her bag, still taking in the impressive sight in front of her. With a grin, she slung her arms around her two best friends. 

“Here’s to the next chapter of our lives.” 

“I hope you know you’re gonna be stuck with us in space.” 

“YESSS! We going into orbit again!” 

 

/