Gay Vibe

If You Were Gay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Let's rewind to sometime two weeks ago when Hayoung was kicked out from her apartment.

The student had decided to stop by Chorong's bookstore in the evening, only to find that the older woman had somewhere to be. By courtesy of bookstore clerk Naeun, she heard the news that Chorong's old college friend Jinyoung was in town. At the time, Hayoung hadn't thought much of it. But it turns out, that night was the start of Chorong's own journey of self-discovery. 

When she arrived at the store, Naeun was impatiently knocking on the door of the storage closet. 

"Chorong unnie, are you coming out or not? You're gonna be late for your dinner date!"

"It's not a date!" Chorong yelled from inside, ignoring the rest of the question. She was probably fiddling with books and paper work. Business stuff. 

"Alright then, meeting your old friend from college!" Naeun compensated for her slight tease. "Unnie, are you coming out?"

"Yeah, come out already!" Hayoung's voice echoed. 

Chorong's head popped out from the doorway at that, fixing Hayoung with an annoyed glare. 

"What's with you guys? I've still got time!" she jabbed before slinking back inside. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The so-called "dinner date" would have Chorong heading to the restaurant at the hotel Jinyoung was staying at. He said he would take her somewhere nicer, but he had a schedule in the morning and Chorong wouldn't want to disrupt his plans by staying out too late. So, that's how she came to meet her old college friend in the hotel lobby. 

Almost unrecognisable with his dark combed bangs and pinstripe suit, Jinyoung looked fine and snazzy in his new look. Where was the brown-haired guy she knew who always wore coloured tees and headphones around his neck? 

Coming straight from work in her plaid suit, Chorong was belatedly thankful not to appear over or underdressed in comparison. 

She welcomed her old friend in a half-hug and they settled down at a standard square table, sitting at an angle from each other for a more friendly conversation, and time flew as they caught up with their lives over the meal. 

"Yeah, I was accepted as an intern, serving everyone their cups of coffee," Jinyoung was saying, describing how he started his career in detail. "That was my whole job essentially, until one day my boss caught me composing in the studio after hours, and then he offered to listen to my stuff. Like finally."

"And you went from that, to getting qualified? In music?"

"Who said I was qualified?" Jinyoung chuckled. "You know I didn't study music. I just always had something in me to pursue it though, and it took a lot of determination, but they eventually saw me as one of them. It's how the best people start in the industry; with passion and networking. I got a lot of references up my sleeve." 

Chorong could read easily when an idea lit up on Jinyoung's face, and the man brought up a suggestion from their past. "Hey, Chorong. If you ever need some help with the music industry, I can definitely help you out and pull some strings. I remember you being quite the potential lyricist, writing angsty poems on the back of your notes."

"Pshh stop! I'll never need anyone to read those," Chorong lightly laughed in embarrassment. She urged the topic back onto Jinyoung, lightly punching him in the arm. "Look at you! Music producer and composer!"

"Look at me? Look at you! Bookstore owner," he responded cheekily. 

Chorong managed a smile. "It's amazing to see what we're doing now with the years gone by. At least one of us achieved our dreams, hey?"

"But you own a business! A whole bookstore! That's such an independent power move. I can't imagine what that must be like," Jinyoung praised kindly. "You know, Chorong. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be a music producer."

"Yeah, if it wasn't for me, you'd be an idol with screaming fans threatening to kill me right now," she joked.

"I would've been stuck in Korea, never realising my full potential as an artist," Jinyoung agreed seriously. "But now I can hang out with my friends freely. I can date who I want." 

"You must be getting it with the ladies. I remember you being quite the flower boy around campus."

"Oh, you flatter me, but I'm not seeing anyone at the moment. What about you, Chorong? Got somebody special?"

"No, no. I don't have a boyfriend," Chorong replied quickly, poking haphazardly into her untouched cake. "Still single and ready to mingle, I guess."

"Ah, this is so amazing," Jinyoung said pleased. "We're just sitting here talking to each other like it was yesterday. I mean, how long has it been?" 

"It's been... five years?" Chorong only just realised. "Wow, we look great."

"Are you kidding? We've never looked better," Jinyoung chuckled, suddenly catching eyes with someone he knew at the front of the restaurant. He raised his hand in greeting as the woman came walking over. 

 

 

The Snacc:  Yoon Bomi

 

 

 

 

 

Chorong stared with interest at the young woman who seemed about their age, dressed flamboyantly with high-waisted jeans and green heels that made her look taller than she was, and made her legs look long. Chorong was checking her out without knowing, only snapping out of it by the time the woman approached their table. 

"Hi, sorry to interrupt," the woman spoke with a slight huskiness to her voice. It surprised Chorong to hear someone with such a feminine appearance sound so... alluring. Maybe she should've expected it from the woman's outfit choices and overflowing confidence. 

She also would've expected the woman to talk to Jinyoung since he was the one who knew her, but instead Chorong was rather taken aback when the woman continued to hold eye contact with her and the first thing to come out of was- 

"I like your makeup. It's pretty."

"Thank you, I like yours too. Who are you?" Chorong said straightforwardly, like the fact-checker she was. 

Jinyoung jumped right into the introductions. "Ah, Chorong, this is my colleague, Yoon Bomi. She's a music producer too."

"Wow. Hi, I'm Chorong," the bookstore owner greeted, standing up from her seat to shake hands across the table amicably.

"Chorong-ssi, I've heard so much about you," Bomi returned the greeting with a slight bow. "Jinyoung oppa talks about you all the time."

"Does he now?" Chorong quirked an eyebrow in confusion, giving Jinyoung an accusatory look. She couldn't help but catch Bomi's words too. "Well, Jinyoung oppa and I are the same age, so..."

- "I'll call you unnie?"

- "I'll be your unnie."

They spoke at the same time, the unanimous utterance bringing an instant smile to their faces. But it felt nice, it wasn't awkward. And Bomi's smile was really pretty, with sparkling eyes that shaped into crescents. Chorong's attention had honestly been captivated since her entrance.

"Alright Chorong unnie," Bomi said happily with a nod. "So, Jinyoung oppa, I just wanted to tell you that our studio session tomorrow has been pushed back an hour."

"Uhh, which studio session?" Jinyoung asked slowly, making a clear side-eye to Chorong who was clueless. 

Bomi caught on to the boasting act and gave an exasperated huff. 

"Our studio session with Kim Taewoo."

"Shhh! Do you need to name-drop like that? Jesus, Yoon Bomi," he grinned toothily, earning an excited slap from beside him.

"Did you say Kim Taewoo??" Chorong whispered with an impressed look, and Bomi somehow swelled with pride too. "Wow, you guys are really hitting it big."

Her errand done, Bomi stepped back with her hands in her pockets in her cue to leave. "Then I'll leave you two to it."

"Hey wait, you can't just compliment somebody and leave," Chorong said without thinking. She honestly wanted to chat with the woman a little more, and find out what made her so enticing. "Sit down! Have some dessert."

"Well, uh," Bomi's mouth fell open in surprise. "I haven't eaten yet so... sure!" she justified, taking the chance to sit down in the vacant chair opposite from Chorong. 

Bomi gestured to the two of them at the table, who were clearly in the middle of something before she joined in. "Just keep talking as you were before. Pretend I'm not here."

Chorong frowned inwardly, getting war flashbacks to third wheeling and feeling socially excluded by people "pretending" she wasn't there. This didn't feel right to her; Bomi's request didn't feel right. She invited Bomi to join them, so she wanted Bomi to feel like a part of their table and a part of their evening. That's what she told herself, but a growing part of her just wanted to keep interacting with the interesting woman.

"Okay," Jinyoung turned his attention back to Chorong, ready to return to their conversation. "So, tell me about the bookstore. I mean, it sounds great."

"Well, it's amazing- oh, my cake is just disappearing as we speak, what?"

The culprit had slid Chorong's untouched cake towards herself and took a spoonful into , shoulders going up in silent laughter. 

"How strange is that? What-" Chorong joked, looking both ways before meeting Bomi's curious eyes. "I'm pretending like you're not here."

Bomi leaned forwards with a smirk. "Who are you talking to? I'm not here." 

The two of them giggled, looking untamed at one another like they were sizing each other up.

"Uh, I'm still here," Jinyoung waved consciously. 

"Unnie, you've got an eyelash right here," Bomi motioned, leaning in to pick it off Chorong's cheek. She held the invisible thread up in front of her like a birthday candle. "Here, make a wish."

Chorong closed her eyes. 

"Would you like some coffee?" a waiter sounded by their table. 

"That was my wish! That's amazing!" Chorong burst in surprise with Bomi's husky laughter delighting her ears. 

Jinyoung made a hesitant chuckle between them. "You wasted a wish on coffee?" 

"Hey, there's plenty more where that came from," Chorong waved him off, still fixated on the woman across the table. "Oh, I think I see an eyelash on you too." 

Bomi playfully winked after Chorong touched her face. "Maybe I'll get us some cheesecake." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"ARGHARGGHARARGH," Bomi growled while stumping forward mechanically. The angular movements of her arms and legs made it look like she was dancing, and Chorong was in hysterics. 

Bomi imitating a zombie might be the funniest thing she'd ever seen. The woman kept making her laugh so much, Chorong's stomach was getting toned. 

"Oh oh! And this!" Bomi cried, keeping her face in one position and turning her whole body around. 

"Yah, what the heck is that!" Chorong sniggered as their stroll naturally came to a stop in the warmly-lit hallway. At some point in the night, Chorong had slipped into a more casual tone with Bomi without realising. The younger just sort of brought out that playful side of her easily.

"I take it that you both like horror movies?" Jinyoung appeared, seemingly forgotten between them even though he had been here with them this whole time. 

"No," they said in unison, causing them to laugh once more. Jinyoung's smile dropped a little, utterly confused.

"Oh no, I get really scared watching horror movies," Chorong elaborated.

"Same. I'm absolutely terrified," Bomi grinned with her nose scrunched a little. Chorong thought she looked adorable and unknowingly made the same expression. Her energy was simply infectious.

"Well, Chorong unnie, it was so great meeting you."

"Yeah, me too! I'm glad you stayed for dessert."

Bomi agreed to her statement with fervour, making Chorong blossom with such positive feelings. Never had she felt so relaxed and at ease with someone so quickly. Never had she met someone who paid her this much attention just to make her smile and laugh, in a way that she accepted, allowing herself to open up. 

"See you later," Bomi nodded to Jinyoung, bidding goodbye and crossing over to her hotel room. Number 813, Chorong saw. 

And Jinyoung was unlocking his hotel room at 812, just next door. They must've come together, booked the hotel rooms together, and flown in together, Chorong thought. 

"It was really nice meeting you," Bomi said again, looking over her shoulder at Chorong. It was almost like they were prolonging the short but wonderful time they got to spend together. 

Chorong found herself smiling beside Jinyoung, catching Bomi's eye for the last time before she went in. "Hey, you too. It was really fun."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"How about the guy you used to go out with? The guy who used to scream when a cat came within three metres of him."

Jinyoung tried to emulate an ungodly sound. "SCREE!" 

Chorong closed her eyes and ears, internally murdering the current topic of conversation as Jinyoung proudly plopped back on the couch. "Minseok had a cat allergy."

"Oh! Or how about your boyfriend Mr. Prince Charming, eh? You kept calling him "my prince, my prince". I mean, it would make sense if he was handsome, but he weighed like, what, 100 kg?" 

"That was all five years ago. And hey, he loved me. How many people are gonna run out in the rain and get me vanilla ice cream?"

"I would. Maybe," Jinyoung let out and retracted, eyeing Chorong's reaction cautiously. She didn't notice.

"Well, Bomi seems great," the woman smiled, gesturing next door. 

"Ah yeah," Jinyoung leaned into the couch comfortably. "I don't know what I'd do without her for the last few albums. She's been amazing to work with and we just keep getting thrown into projects together. Who knows, maybe we'll become a duo."

He thoughtfully rested his head to one side. "But nah, she's been wanting to work with Ravi for quite some time now. So it's probably about time we put our friendship-partnership behind us and branch off separately." 

"Wow." Chorong's interest had peaked. "I envy you guys. I mean, what a job! Every moment of your job is something different, something creative. Somewhere out there, your music is touching people's hearts, you know?"

Jinyoung smiled sincerely at her words. "Ah, Chorong, I've forgotten how nice it is to hang out with you. I've wasted so much time dating models and actresses when I probably should've just been dating someone like you." 

Chorong's eyebrows furrowed at what felt like a backhanded compliment. "Thank you?"

"You know what I'm trying to say," Jinyoung chuckled. "You're smart, you're beautiful.. I just feel so comfortable with you," he murmured, shifting his weight over to snuggle on Chorong's shoulder. 

"Y-Yeah, that's how I feel with you," Chorong froze, eyes darting around the room. "Comfortable."

Only then did it really hit her that she was in Jinyoung's hotel room. And when a woman agrees to go up to a man's hotel room, what is predicted to follow? 

Man-woman . 

Chorong gulped. No! She's overthinking it. She's always overthinking things. After all, Jinyoung's just an old friend! She felt comfortable with him, which was somewhat true, and that's why she was willing to come up here. 

More likely, the discussion of chilling in his hotel room had totally slipped Chorong's memory because she was too invested in Bomi's stories. She just wanted an excuse to walk Bomi to her hotel room... 

"Mm, I've forgotten how great you smell," he hummed contentedly. 

Chorong's hairs stood on end as she opened , air just passing through

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter