chapter two

Unrequited
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo bounces her way to their class, holding a lunch box filled with brownies and cookies. Earlier today, her mom baked variety of sweets due to unknown reasons and the brunette beauty grabbed this chance to pack and give some to her fairy crush.

 

"Oh? Chaewon!" She exclaims with enthusiasm in her voice as soon as she saw the familiar frame, the girl mentioned was a little startled that she dropped her books on the ground, Minjoo took immediate actions and helped her pick her things up.

 

"I'm sorry, you must've been surprised." The two of them chuckled, and when they stood up, they headed to their classroom with no one else inside.

 

"Well you're early." Minjoo said, breaking the silence in between them.

 

"I could say the same to you. I gotta say though, I didn't picture you as someone who goes to school this early." Chaewon responded as she took her seat and the former sitting on the desk besides the raven.

 

"Well you're not wrong in that part, my mom had to force me out of bed just to wake me up. I brought some cookies, wanna share it with me?" Minjoo offers to which Chaewon gladly accepted without second thoughts.

 

The duo then started to talk about whatever it is that comes in their mind, starting from the raven's past school up to the brunette's experience over the past school years.

 

"So what's up with you and Sakura? You've been fighting since yesterday before class even starts. What's with the two year unresolved lover's quarrel, are you like girlfriends?" The fairy asks out of nowhere which caught the younger off guard, thus causing her to choke and Chaewon immediately patted her back.

 

"W-what?! No, I would n-never! We're not dating!" Minjoo hisses, trying to clear , unknown to them, Yujin and Wonyoung just stepped inside their room, the pup like girl drapes an arm on the coughing girl's shoulder and ruffles her hair.

 

"Yet." Yujin teases and pops a piece of brownies in .

 

"Good morning unnies, you're early today Minjoo unnie." Wonyoung greeted to which Chaewon responded with a smile and a wave.

 

"There's no way in hell would I ever date that dumb gamer freak, and would you two leave us be? We were having a moment here. I brought these for Chaewon not for you guys!" Minjoo argues with the two youngest who sticks their tongue out as a response before leaving them be, and speaking of the devil, Sakura came barging inside, seemingly happy but when her eyes landed on the two Kims, her smile turned upside down.

 

"Morning Chaewon." The cherry blossom greeted, completely ignoring the presence of the brunette.

 

Little by little, the room begins to be filled with students, some are sleeping, some are talking, and others are playing around, creating noises in each corner of the room.

 

"Oi Kkura, we're going to the arcade later, you still owe me a rematch. I'm kicking your this time." Yena said with confidence in the midst of their game.

 

"I can't today, I'm having dinner with my mom and dad. I'll make up for it next time." Sakura replied with dismay in her voice.

 

"Well that's too bad. Jjoyul, you guys coming with us?" The duck lipped yells from across the room, causing everyone from the other group to whip their head towards them.

 

"Where?"

 

"The arcade."

 

"Yeah we're in, all of us, right?" One by one, all five of them nodded their head, yes until all eyes landed on Chaewon.

 

"I can't. I have a family thing tonight, sorry." The latter flashes an apologetic smile and both groups groan in sorrow with the response but still greatly understood.

 

Hearing that, Sakura's ears perked up. Her mom mentioned something about having dinner with the Kims tonight and what are the odds? She knows it's too soon to assume things, not to mention so impossible, nevertheless, she couldn't help but feel all giddy with the thought of her having dinner with her crush's family.

 

 

Sakura's smile all throughout the morning was annoyingly bothering Minjoo. Even from her peripheral view she could see the girl smiling from ear to ear. Irritating the hell out of her, and so she decided to wipe that smug look off the other girl's face the only way she knows how to, by annoying her back.

 

"You look stupid." Minjoo whispered but enough for the grey haired girl to hear.

 

"You're stupid." She grinned smugly at the brunette which irked the latter.

 

"You're stupider." Minjoo retorted, sticking her tongue out to the other girl.

 

"Meh. I don't have time for you, can't have you ruining my day so better luck next time, Kim." Sakura looked away from the beauty who was surprised that the older didn't continue on with their banter. It didn't help that the cherry blossom still had that annoying smile painted on her face.

 

I wonder what's making her smile like an idiot.

 

 

Few subjects have passed and surprisingly, the bickering duo seems to have gotten tired of their quarrel because strange enough, they appear to be ignoring each other. But when their English teacher came in and announced that they will be having a pop quiz in pairs, they instantly jolted on their seat and gaze at one another, as if sending a message or threat rather.

 

"Can we choose our pair?" Yujin raised her hand to ask the question and when the teacher nodded, Sakura and Minjoo averted their eyes to the new transfer student, eagerly waiting to be partnered up together with the fairy.

 

Seeing two figures whipping their heads toward Kim Chaewon, Ms. Park immediately sensed the incoming chaos. Yesterday, the word about the bickering duo arguing over a silly chair had spread in only a matter of seconds, and she refuses to let the beauty and the cherry blossom cause a ruckus in her class. With that, she swiftly regained her composure and took back what she just said.

 

"I mean, n-no." The young teacher witnessed how fast the two turned their heads in front and she could feel sweat being released on her forehead. She's worried about the possibility of the girls loathing her for taking back what she said. No matter how ethereal they look, no one would want to have them on their bad side.

 

"I'll pick your partners." The light haired lass gulps down as she scans the attendance paper, raising it high enough to cover the faces of Kim and Miyawaki. She then skims through the list, ticking names for partnership, a sly smirk formulates at the edge of her lips as two names placed right next to each other caught her eye.

 

One by one, Ms. Park announces the pairings while Sakura and Minjoo listens attentively as they waited for their name to be called upon.

 

"Kim Chaewon with..." The tall woman paused purposely to have the duo's attention on her, the older held on tightly to her pen, awaiting for her name to be called while the younger girl on the other hand have her eyes switching in between her seatmate, crush, and their teacher, equally nervous as well if not more.

 

"Choi Yena." The Japanese couldn't believe what she heard and lets go of her pen harshly, inflicting a light yet also loud thud. Even Minjoo hopelessly releases the breath that she didn't know she was holding with a heavy heart.

 

"And lastly." Their English teacher continues, before she could even announce the last pair, both of them have realized that neither one of their names have been called so with that they knew what was about to unfold.

 

"Miyawaki Sakura and Kim Minjoo." 

 

They weren't even given the chance to recover from the sorrow of not being partnered up with their fairy crush. 

 

Hearing their name paired with each other only made the activity even glummer. First, none of them were matched with Chaewon and now, they are teamed up with the most annoying person on earth.

 

"Alright. Go to your partners and review a bit for the quiz." Ms. Park didn't even give the two some time to react to the situation and quickly moved on with reviewing the questions she prepared, she's well aware of just how big of a ruckus the duo could cause when given the chance to do so.

 

With the announcement, the whole class began bustling around to sit with their partners and hopefully reviewing for some additional knowledge for the pop quiz. On the other hand, the bickering duo sat frozen on their place, unable to stomach in all these events.

 

As if the two had sunk in the words of their teacher, they slowly turn their heads to one another, clearly they couldn't get over the fact that they're going to have to deal with each other as a team and not as rivals. So yeah, this is one unusual day, alright.

 

Minjoo was the first to recover from her shock and quickly shifted her gaze away from the grey haired girl. Regaining herself, Sakura snaps out of the trance with the help of their teacher's loud (and probably vexing) voice.
 

 

"Okay, take your places class." The teacher instructed to which the class have obliged into without any complaints. The tables are scattered all throughout to avoid whatever possible situation there is, Minjoo and Sakura are assigned to sit right in the middle, that way the light haired woman could easily monitor the pair's behaviour.

 

"I'll be giving out an incentive for whoever has the highest points after the quiz." Hearing that, the class yells in enthusiasm, the bickering duo on the other hand, their instinctive response is to lock eyes and glare at each other.

 

"You better not make me lose, Kim Minjoo or you'll regret it." Sakura cautions with seriousness in her voice, there was a glint of determination in her eyes for a little while, it seems like she have a plan all sorted out.

 

"Don't drag me down with you, you geek." Minjoo retorted back while looking away from the grey haired girl.

 

Before they could start arguing again, Ms. Park spoke up, indicating that the start of the pop quiz will be approaching soon enough.

 

"I will start with an easy one, I'll give out choices too, so you better listen." 

 

Sakura and Minjoo stares intently at the teacher who was about to speak.

 

"Which of the following is probably the most widely used English word throughout the world?"

 

"A. Dollar."

 

The bickering duo looks at each other and shook their head, communicating through actions.

 

"B. Okay."

 

The two are still facing one another with both eyebrows scrunched, pondering about the second choice.

 

"C. Internet."

 

Both eyes scrunched even harder.

 

 "D. Movie." 

 

Their eyes then widened after not even a second of second thoughts, Sakura raises her hand a little earlier than Minjoo.

 

"B. Okay!"

 

"Correct!" When the teacher confirmed Sakura's answer, the latter turns and smirked at Minjoo, making the beauty roll her eyes to brush off all those bragging.

 

"A point for Miyawaki and Kim." The grey haired girl sat down and wrote a line in between the scoreboard that they were given, writing an S and an M on each column, she wrote a line on her side of the column as she gave the younger a smug look.

 

"You just got lucky." The beauty reasoned out, determined to get the next question right for her point and tie the scores down.

 

The quiz went on with the pair alternately answering every question and adding points under their name. Their other classmates had seemingly given up watching the two compete against each other in spite of being teamed up together, but even if they knew the answer, Sakura and Minjoo would always raise their hands faster than them.

 

"Are they always like this?" Chaewon whispered to Yena who was watching her friends slightly amused.

 

"Yeah. They make a great team, don't you think?" The purple haired chuckled seeing the two fighting over silly questions like they were betting on their own lives.

 

"Uhuh, that they are. Too bad they're each other's enemy though." Chaewon chuckles while she was tallying a score under Minjoo's name when the latter have gotten the question correct. Having nothing to do, the raven decided to keep score of the two competitive students in her class.

 

"Don't be such a pessimist, mate. Something tells me that this year is going to be the turning point of their love and hate relationship, and you're going to be playing a big part in it." The older smirks while eyeing her clueless friends before turning back to the fairy.

 

"You think so?"

 

"I know so."

 

When the activity ended, the light haired adult studied the scoreboard to see who has accumulated the most number of points but she wasn't surprised to see that Miyawaki and Kim have taken the lead. In fact, she couldn't even remember any other group having the chance to answer any of the questions.

 

The winner was announced after a short while but the duo knew that already so instead of minding their teacher, they examined the scoreboard they had for themselves and began counting their own scores. Minjoo was the first one to finish counting, with that, she faced her partner and said.

 

"28." The brunette smirked at Sakura who flinched hearing her score but nevertheless continued counting. When the older was done, an obvious smirk can be seen on her face. Seeing that, the former could feel anxiousness building in.

 

"30." The cherry blossoms eyed on her seatmate smugly, feeling the need to brag about doing better than the other.

 

"Whatever." The beauty turns away, trying to block the annoying skite that the Japanese had been rubbing on her face.

 

"I've mentioned before that there will be an incentive for the winner. Girls will you please stand up?" The match obediently complies with their teacher's requests, anticipating the reward to be received.

 

"The incentive would be a free movie ticket and..." They scoffed hearing the prize, thinking they don't have any use for it but w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter