For Your Own Good

Chasing Angels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Lee Hi - Breathe


 

“There’s no such thing as hurting someone for their own good. There’s only hurting someone for your own good.”

- Kate Bornstein


 

Minju furrowed her brows as an unwelcome visitor showed up.

 

“Did Kim Chaewon give you that stupid nickname?” Eunbi mocked.

 

Minju remained silent, turning her head and ignoring the girl. Eunbi stared at the angel, annoyed that she shifted her attention elsewhere.

 

“It’s not polite to ignore people, you know?” Eunbi remarked as she walked closer to Minju.

 

“You’re not as nice as people make you out to be, Minju.” She added.

 

“I don’t take kindly to bullies.” Minju finally replied as she glared at Eunbi.

 

“You should take your own advice and not ignore people. Or bully for the matter of fact.” Minju added as she stood up to leave the unpleasant conversation.

 

As she tried to walk pass Eunbi, Eunbi stepped in front of her, causing her to stop abruptly. She then suddenly leaned close to Minju’s ear.

 

“I know what you’re trying to do ‘Minguri’.” Eunbi mocked.

 

“Mind your own business and stop trying to be friends with Kim Chaewon,” Eunbi warned. 

 

Minju looked at Eunbi with so much disgust, more than what she thought she could possibly have in her entire being.

 

“How can you say that?” Minju snapped.

 

“Didn’t you guys know each other? How can you hate someone so much? What did she ever do to you to deserve such hate?” She added.

 

Eunbi’s eyes twitched with anger as Minju continued to ask her questions. She tightly clenched her fists, hard enough for her knuckles to turn white. As unpleasant thoughts began to fill Eunbi’s head and her face flush red, her fists slowly raised up towards Minju. Minju quickly noticed Eunbi’s enraged fists, but was unable to move. Without her knowledge, Minju was somehow pinned between her desk and the angry Eunbi. As Eunbi’s fist was inching closer to Minju, almost making contact, the door to the classroom slammed open.

 

“Kwon Eunbi!!!” A voice yelled out.

 

The two quickly turned their heads towards the door and was surprised to see Chaewon.

 

“You better not touch her.” Chaewon warned Eunbi, her face flushed red with anger as well.

 

“If you touch a single hair on her, I’ll never forgive you.” She added as she walked closer to the two.

 

Chaewon forcefully inserted herself in between the two, making sure Minju was safely behind her as she kept her eyes fixed on Eunbi. They stared at each other in silence for a while. Eunbi’s angry expression turned to a dumbfounded one as she found it strange how Chaewon was standing up to her for once.

 

“Why are you sticking up for this stranger? You barely know each other.” Eunbi finally spoke up, her voice slightly trembling.

 

“Our relationship doesn’t concern you. You better leave her alone. This is my one and only warning to you Eunbi.” Chaewon sternly said, staring straight into Eunbi’s eyes unwavered.

 

Eunbi stared at Chaewon incredulous at her warning. Before Eunbi could reply, they were interrupted by the appearance of Kriesha. Eunbi quickly backed off as Kriesha looked at the three, bewildered as she felt the tension in the room. Eunbi quickly made her way towards the door, trying to escape any questions from Kriesha. 

 

“Kwon Eunbi!” Chaewon suddenly called out, stopping Eunbi before she left the classroom.

 

“Another thing,” She paused for a moment.

 

“You’re not allowed to call her Minguri. I’m the only one who is allowed to call her that.” Chaewon added.

 

Eunbi gritted her teeth and rushed out of the room, pushing past Kriesha while Minju cupped , surprised at Chaewon’s words. Chaewon breathed out heavily as she turned around, giving Minju a quick glance before quietly returning to her desk and laid her head down as she placed her headphones on. Minju turned her attention back to the confused Kriesha, not knowing how to explain what had just happened. 

 

•~•

 

As the day came to an end, Minju had noticed how silent Chaewon was. It wasn’t like Chaewon was ever very verbal in the first place, but after what had happened during lunch, she just seemed even more distant than usual. Before Minju could say anything, Chaewon had already packed her things and left the classroom. Minju sighed heavily, feeling as if all her efforts to get Chaewon to open up had disappeared in mere seconds. Kriesha noticed the moping Minju and decided to approach her.

 

“Minju?” She called softly.

 

“Are you okay?” Kriesha asked.

 

Minju looked up at the girl, tears b her eyes. Kriesha couldn’t say anything and just hugged the crying angel, her head in efforts to comfort her.

 

After calming Minju down, Kriesha decided to do something to try to cheer her up.

 

“Let’s go somewhere and hangout.” Kriesha said.

 

“Where? Don’t you have cram school to get to?” Minju asked, sniffling and wiping her tears away.

 

“Eh, I didn’t feel like going today anyway. It’s not like missing one day will make me stupid or anything.” Kriesha replied.

 

“You’re more important to me right now.” She added, causing Minju to finally crack a smile.

 

“Where do you want to go?” Minju questioned.

 

“Hmm, I guess anywhere you’d like to go.”

 

Minju placed her hand on her chin, trying to think of what she would like to do. 

 

“Ah!” Minju exclaimed after pondering for a while.

 

“Lets go sing karaoke!”

 

•~•

 

As the two arrived at the karaoke place after a short walk from school, they encountered another problem.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry.” The ajumma apologized.

 

“All of the rooms are already taken.” She added.

 

“What?!” The two exclaimed.

 

“It’s a weekday though, why is everyone out singing today?” Kriesha said.

 

“Maybe they all have troubles and are trying to relieve it like us.” Minju replied, disappointed.

 

“I’m sorry, I wanted to make you feel better but ended up making you even more sad.”

 

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault.” Minju comforted the girl.

 

“We can go eat somewhere then I guess.” Minju added.

 

“Ah ajumma! Can I get some more snacks and drinks.” A voice suddenly interjected as the girls were about to leave.

 

“Oh” Kriesha exclaimed as she saw who had just appeared.

 

“Oh, its Kriesha!” The voice called out after recognizing her.

 

“What are you doing here? I thought you’d be at cram school right now.”

 

“Ah, I didn’t feel like going today. Plus I wanted to hangout with a friend.” Kriesha replied.

 

The girl turned her attention to Minju who was standing beside Kriesha. After recognizing who Minju was, the girl was suddenly in awe.

 

“Ah, you’re the pretty new transfer student that has been causing a buzz ever since you’ve arrived at our school.” The girl said.

 

Minju bowed her head, feeling embarrassed.

 

“Oops, where are my manners?” The girl said.

 

“My name is Choi Yena of class 3-3, it’s nice to meet you.” Yena introduced, as she extended her hands towards Minju.

 

“Ah, Kim Minju. A pleasure meeting you too.” She replied.

 

“So you guys came here to belt out your vocals?” Yena asked.

 

“Yea. I wanted to show off my skills to her, but it seems like all of the rooms are taken.” Kriesha replied.

 

“Come join us! It’s just me and my girlfriend in our room.” Yena invited.

 

“Are you sure? We don’t want to intrude or anything.” Minju said.

 

“Yea, it’s not like we’re on a date or anything. We often come here to hangout anyway, and we don’t mind the company.”

 

“Ajumma, we’re adding these two to our room so we’ll need even more snacks and drinks. You can add them onto my bill.” Yena added as she dragged the two towards the counter.

 

After grabbing their snacks and drinks, Yena guided the two to her room. As they got closer to the door, a strong and powerful voice can be heard. Minju was amazed at how powerful the person’s vocals were. As Yena opened the door, Minju was surprised to see the person behind such a voice.

 

That voice was coming from her? This small person?

 

Minju thought to herself.

 

“Yuri-ya, I brought some company.” Yena yelled out.

 

The girl stopped in the middle of her song, and paused the music to greet the two.

 

“Ah, Kriesha unnie! Surprised to see you here.” Yuri exclaimed.

 

“Annyeong~” Kriesha replied as she waved at the girl.

 

“And this is Kim Minju.” Yena quickly introduced.

 

Yuri’s gaze suddenly drifted somewhere else, unable to meet Minju’s eyes.

 

Oh no, did I do something wrong? Why is she avoiding eye contact with me?

 

Minju pondered.

 

“Ya! What are you being all shy for? Stop doing that everytime you meet someone pretty!” Yena whined. A hint of jealousy could be detected in her voice.

 

Minju let out a slight chuckle, relieved that that was the reason the girl avoided making eye contact. Yuri smacked Yena’s arm in embarrassment before extending her hand out to Minju and properly introducing herself.

 

“Jo Yuri of class 2-2.”

 

•~•

 

The girls quickly became acquainted with each other after jamming out to some hit songs. Minju was sur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter