I Need You

Chasing Angels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Eric Nam - Hold Me


 

“I can’t lose you. Because if I ever did, I’d have lost my best friend, my soul, my mate, my smile, my laugh, and my everything.”

- Anmol Andore


 

“Min-Minju? W-What was that?” Chaewon asked, unable to comprehend what she just saw.

 

“Your feet was like, super far off the ground and so I think you were flying in the air, but that’s kind of impossible, right? What the heck is going on? I mean, who are you or what are you?” Chaewon rambled on in confusion.

 

Minju could do nothing but just stare at Chaewon speechless. Her mind was blank and she was frozen. Tears began falling from her eyes for no apparent reason. As Chaewon noticed, she quickly snapped out of her puzzled state and rushed over to Minju.

 

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Chaewon asked, worried as she embraced Minju tightly.

 

I’m sorry, Chaewon….

 

Minju thought.

 

After helping their classmates clean up the school and classroom, the two walked home together in silence. Chaewon refrained from talking about what she saw earlier, hoping Minju would open up to her by herself. Minju had not said anything since that afternoon either. Her expression was hard to read as she was able to maintain a poker face this time. Chaewon was surprised when tears started falling from Minju suddenly. She had no idea how to comfort her. All Chaewon could do at the moment was hold Minju’s hand tight incase she needed it. She was softly rubbing the back of her hand when Minju finally spoke up.

 

“Can we stop by the playground and talk for a bit.”

 

“Of course.” Chaewon quickly replied.

 

The two walked to the empty playground and sat on the swings again. It took Minju a couple more minutes to gather her thoughts before confessing to Chaewon.

 

“You were quite shocked earlier, right?” Minju said without looking at Chaewon.

 

“Yea, to be honest I was.”

 

“I was supposed to keep my identity a secret, but I’m actually an angel from Heaven.”

 

Chaewon didn’t say anything for a moment, shocked to find what her girlfriend’s true identity was.

 

“I’m sorry.” Minju suddenly apologized.

 

“For what?” Chaewon replied, dumbfounded that Minju was apologizing for nothing.

 

“I didn’t mean to keep a secret from you.” 

 

“That’s nothing to be sorry about. Everyone has secrets that they can’t tell. This is probably something you absolutely couldn’t say so I don’t blame you.” Chaewon reassured the angel.

 

“You know, it’s kind of weird to think angels actually exist.” She added.

 

“Why is that?”

 

“I don’t know. You just look at the world sometimes and wonder how certain things happen and there’s nothing no one can do to help. You’d think there might be some higher power up there that would help, but it seems like it never happens. That’s why is hard to believe that angels are real, to me at least.” Chaewon explained.

 

“I guess I can see why you’d think that. Honestly, we angels are taught not to interact with humans. We live in different worlds that aren’t meant to mix together. The only time we are allowed to interact is if something really big happens. Otherwise, we are just messing with the fate of humans.”

 

“Then what are you doing here? Are you alone or is Yujinie an angel too?” Chaewon asked as she turned her head towards Minju.

 

Minju’s eyes darted back and forth on the ground, contemplating what to tell Chaewon.

 

“I’m not an official angel yet. I still have to pass one more test before becoming one.” Minju replied.

 

“I came down alone. Yujinie is just a human I met when I got down here. We matched really well so she became a really close friend of mine.” Minju lied.

 

Minju couldn’t risk getting Yujin’s identity found out as well.

 

“Oh… so what’s your final test? Chaewon asked.

 

“I’m just supposed to observe humans. See how they act and empathize with them so I can learn how to help them in the future.” Minju lied again.

 

“So does your assignment also include you passing high school? Because at this rate, your grades are not doing so well, especially in math.” Chaewon teased.

 

“Hey!” Minju said as she puffed her cheeks.

 

“Just to let you know, I’m actually the top student in my class in Heaven.” She added.

 

“Yea, but that’s up there. What about on Earth?”

 

“Whatever. I’m studying hard. I just need a passing grade anyway to graduate. I don’t need to be the top of the class. I won’t need to know about algebra, finding x, or finding derivatives.”

 

“Then what will happen to you ... to us when we graduate?” Chaewon suddenly changed the topic.

 

The mood turned solemn as the smile that was on Chaewon’s face had disappeared. Minju glanced over at Chaewon and saw that her hands were trembling uncontrollably. Even though Chaewon was trying to cheer Minju up this whole time, Minju could tell Chaewon was starting to worry and get anxious.

 

“You’re not in trouble now that I found out your identity are you? You’re not going to go anywhere right? You’re still going to be around for a while, right?” Chaewon continued, her voice trembling.

 

Minju could feel tears building up again. Her heart was breaking as she looked at Chaewon, trying to hold in her feelings again.

 

“I’m not in trouble, don’t worry about it. I won’t go anywhere.” Minju said as she quickly wiped her tears and grabbed Chaewon’s hands.

 

“I’ll always be by your side, no matter what.” She added as she stood up and pulled Chaewon into a tight embrace.

 

Just a little longer, please. Once I achieve my assignment, you won’t have to worry about me, about us. You won’t even remember me anymore…

 

•~•

 

The two arrived at the front gate to Minju’s house. They were still holding each others hands tightly, afraid to let go.

 

“You should get going. It’s quite late. I don’t want you to get yelled at for being out late. Plus it’s dangerous for a young lady to be by herself at night.” Minju said softly.

 

“Why don’t you me home then? I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to get home safely with your angel powers right?” Chaewon replied.

 

“Wait, speaking of which, what kind of powers do angels have anyway?” Chaewon asked, curious.

 

“Oh, uh…” Minju stuttered, trying to think.

 

“We can fly, hear and see from far away, go invisible…..”

 

“Wait!” Chaewon suddenly interjected.

 

“Have you used any of that while with me?” She asked, her eyes wide.

 

“Ummm… maybe….” Minju hesitantly replied.

 

“Like, did you secretly peaked at people in the locker rooms while we were changing when you were invisible?” Chaewon asked with a sly smirk on her face.

 

“NO!!!” Minju adamantly denied.

 

“I’m not a ert! I use my powers for good.” Minju pouted.

 

“I’m just teasing you.” Chaewon replied as she ruffled the angel’s hair.

 

“But seriously, what did you use your powers for?”

 

“I kind of helped you out in that obstacle race earlier.” Minju said as she lowered her head.

 

“I know that’s cheating but, you were so cute and determined to win that I just wanted to make it come true.” She added.

 

Chaewon chuckled a bit, finding the conflicted angel adorable.

 

“No wonder. Halfway through the race, I felt like it got slightly easier to run for some reason.” 

 

Minju lowered her head even more in embarrassment. Chaewon noticed and smiled lovingly at her.

 

“Guess I’ll just have to build up strength to carry you by myself next time.” Chaewon said as she gently lifted Minju’s chin up with her hand.

 

Chaewon slowly inched closer while staring directly into Minju’s eyes. Minju could feel the warmth of Chaewon’s breath even though her own face was becoming red and hot.

 

“You still owe me something though.” Chaewon mischievously whispered.

 

Minju couldn’t look at Chaewon in the eye. Her heart was beating a million miles per second.

 

“You promised me.” Chaewon cutely whined as she took a step back from Minju.

 

Minju couldn’t help but crack a smile at Chaewon pouting.  

 

I know I’m going to break the many promises I’ve made to you, but let me at least keep this one promise to you.

 

Minju thought as she took a deep breath in. She looked up from her feet and stared right at Chaewon. She took a step forward and wrapped her arms around Chaewon’s neck. Chaewon was caught by surprise. She became a bit flustered at Minju’s sudden move. Minju slightly tilted her head downward and planted her lips softly onto Chaewon’s.

 

Chaewon could feel a rush of warmth surge through her entire body. She’s never felt such a sensation before, but it was something she never wanted to end. As Minju pulled her lips from Chaewon’s, Chaewon quickly wrapped her arms around Minju’s waist. She pulled Minju closer, standing on her tiptoes, and returned the kiss.

 

•~•

 

Minju sat on her bed curled up into a ball, thinking about what she should do. The angels up in Heaven will find out about her exposing her identity soon and she will have to return. Even if she tried to hide it, they will know no matter what.

 

“I need to do everything I can for Chaewon before I have to go.” Minju said to herself.

 

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

 

“Come in.” Minju said.

 

There was no answer back and the door remained closed. Minju was confused. She definitely heard a knock.

 

“I said come in.” Minju said again.

 

The door knob slowly twisted and the door cracked open, but still no one stepped in. Minju became slightly scared as she thought something otherworldly opened her door. She curled up closer to the headboard of her bed and grabbed the covers just in case.

 

“Halmoni, is that you? Or maybe it’s you, Yujinie?” Minju asked, her voice trembling in fear.

 

The door slowly opened further and a figure stepped out from the shadows. Minju breathed a sigh of relief as she saw who it was.

 

“Yudingz, don’t scare me like that.” Minju scolded her as she let her guard down.

 

Yujin remained quiet as she walked closer to Minju and sat beside her on her bed. The two remained silent as none of them knew when was the right time to say anything. They were both fidgeting with their thumbs until Minju finally spoke up.

 

“I’m sorry, Yudingz.” 

 

“It seems like I’ve been disappointing you lately, and I don’t know how to make it up to you because I’ve definitely did something wrong again.” She added.   

 

Yujin still didn’t say anything, but turned her head to face Minju. Minju turned her head too and met Yujin’s eyes.

 

“Yujin… I’ve been exposed.” Minju confessed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter