Like Heaven

Chasing Angels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Chai - Oh My Angel


 

“I wish I could explain your eyes, and how the sound of your voice gives me butterflies. How your smile makes my heart skip a beat and how every time I’m with you, I feel so complete.” 

- Unknown


 

“Please be with me.” Chaewon said with resolve as she stared into Minju’s eyes.


 

(30 minutes earlier)

 

Minju slowly made her way towards the back of the school. As she turned the corner, she could see that in the distance by the big cherry blossom tree, a boy with an umbrella was waiting for her. She made her way to the boy and was greeted with a smile and wave.

 

“You actually came.” The boy said with wide eyes.

 

“Of course. You asked me to didn’t you? It’d be rude of me if I didn’t show up.” Minju replied with a smile.

 

“Anyways, what did you have to talk to me about that you couldn’t wait another day?” She added in a teasing tone.

 

“Ahhh…. Well….” They boy lowered his gaze as he shyly scratched the back of his head while his face turned red.

 

After a few more seconds, he cleared his throat and straighten up.

 

“I like you Minju. I’ve been meaning to tell you this. Ever since I’ve met you, there was something about you that made my heart skip beats. I thought I might ‘ve been like the others and just took some interest in you because you were pretty and and the new student, but then I started to fall for you. I found myself constantly thinking about you and wanting to get to know you more. I also found myself getting jealous when I saw you talking to others, and I don’t think I can deal with that anymore.”  

 

“So will you go out with me?” The boy asked.

 

Minju was taken aback by the sudden confession. She was speechless and clueless on how to respond. The boy quickly noticed her expression and hurried to explain himself.

 

“Y-you don’t have to answer right away. I-I can wait until tomorrow.” The boy said frantically.

 

“Well, I-I just moved here though and we don’t really know each other that well.” Minju replied as she averted her eyes.

 

“Well, I don’t think that’s a problem. We can get to know each other and I know graduation is just around the corner, but I think we can work something out. If not, we can have a long distance relationship or-”

 

“I can’t go out with you.” Minju interrupted.

 

Silence fell upon the two as only the raindrops falling down from the sky could be heard. The boy let out a heavy sigh before speaking up again.

 

“Of course. I’m quite foolish for believing I had a chance with you when I was practically a stranger to you. Sorry I made things so awkward for you.”

 

“No, it’s fine. I don’t feel awkward at all. At least you were brave enough to try.” Minju comforted him.  

 

“If you don’t mind, can I at least ask why you won’t give me a chance?”

 

“You’re a nice guy, and I don’t doubt that whoever ends up being your girlfriend will be lucky.” Minju paused for a moment.

 

A smile slowly appeared on Minju’s face as she looked up and continued.

 

“But there’s someone who already has my heart.”

 

“Honestly, when you told me why you liked me, someone instantly came to my mind. I’ve already met someone that makes my heart skip a beat. Someone who I am always thinking about. At first, I only got to know them for my own selfish gains, but the more I got to know them, the more I wanted to be with them. I don’t know when it happened, but I figured out that I was falling for them. I began falling harder for them and the desire to always be by their side grew stronger. I also realized that I might lose them or someday lose them in the future, and that is something I don’t want. As long as I’m here right now, I want to spend as much time I have with that person and make precious memories, even if I’m the only one who will remember them in the end. So I’m sorry.”

 

The boy lowered his umbrella enough to cover his eyes from Minju, accepting the fact that he was rejected. He bowed and walked away.

 

(Back to present time.)


 

“Chaewon….” Minju softly called as she looked at the girl in front of her.

 

I can’t and I shouldn’t.

 

I’ll just end up hurting her and myself in the end.

 

I know all of that, but….

 

I can’t hold back anymore.

 

Please let me be selfish for the time I have left with you.

 

Minju let go of the handle to her umbrella as she pulled Chaewon into a tight embrace. Even though the cold rain drops were hitting her face and instantly drenching her, she could feel a pleasant warmth radiating from Chaewon. 

 

“I’ll gladly be with you.” Minju exclaimed with a bright smile.

 

•~•

 

“Ah-choo!” Minju sneezed for the nth time as she reached the front gate to her house.

 

“Are you going to be okay? You’re not going to catch a cold are you?” Chaewon asked, concerned.

 

“I’ll be fine. I’m more worried about you though. You were drenched in the rain longer than I was.” Minju replied as she placed her hands on Chaewon’s cheeks to make sure she wasn’t burning up. 

 

Chaewon placed her hands on top of Minju’s as she closed her eyes and smiled gently.

 

“I’ll be fine too. You don’t have to worry about me. I don’t get sick very easily.” Chaewon reassured the girl.

 

Minju suddenly pulled the girl into her arms. After embracing each other for a while, Chaewon pulled herself away.

 

“You’re being quite clingy aren’t you?” Chaewon teased.

 

“No” Minju puffed her cheeks out.

 

“You like my hugs anyway so it doesn’t matter.” She added.

 

“Where did you get that from? Who said that? I’ve never said that. Not too long ago, I even had a personal space rule don’t you remember?”

 

“Fine then. I won’t hug you anymore from now on.”

 

Minju pouted as she stomped her feet and began opening the front gate. Before she could fully open it though, Chaewon pulled her into her arms again.

 

“I was just joking.” Chaewon said.

 

“It’s getting late though. You should go in and take a warm shower. I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” She added as she let go of Minju.

 

“Ah, wait.” Minju suddenly said.

 

“There’s something I’d like you to do for me.”

 

Chaewon looked at Minju, confused but agreed to listen to her request nonetheless.

 

“What is it?”

 

 “Can we keep our relationship a secret?” Minju asked as she clasped her hands together, bowing her head.

 

Chaewon was surprised at what Minju had just requested of her.

 

“If you’re worried about me and the attention we might receive, I’ll be okay.” Chaewon reassured her.

 

“Yea, but I’m still worried about it though. Let’s just ease you into it, okay? We can hangout and be around each other like really good friends, but if people found out that you’re my girlfriend, I think the whole school might explode.” Minju replied.

 

Chaewon paused for a moment to think it through and came to the conclusion that Minju was right. She nodded and agreed to Minju’s request.

 

“Especially Yujin, okay? She absolutely cannot know. She’ll definitely freak out.” Minju said as she held her pinky out at Chaewon, waiting for her to seal the promise.

 

Chaewon sighed as she hooked her pinky with Minju.

 

“Geez, you could’ve just told me straight out that you’re ashamed of me you know.” Chaewon teased.

 

 “I’m not ashamed though! I’m actually really proud of you. Stop teasing me!” Minju pouted.

 

Cute.

 

Chaewon thought to herself as she smiled at Minju.

 

“I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” Chaewon said as she waved goodbye to Minju.

 

Minju waved back with a gentle smile as she opened her front gate and walked into her house.

 

•~•

 

The next few days has been chaotic as Minju and Chaewon had expected. As they began to hang out openly with each other, more people have been talking and having their eyes on them. Not one moment went by where someone was not asking Minju about her being friends with Chaewon. 

 

“Ugh, another day with so much gossip. I’m getting annoyed.” Chaewon heavily sighed as she climbed on top of the platform above the staircase on the roof.

 

“What are we supposed to do? We knew this was going to happen anyway.” Minju replied as she followed Chaewon.

 

Chaewon helped pull Minju up as she was struggling to get up with her own strength. 

 

“I know, but, is it really that hard for people to believe that I could have friends?” Chaewon continued.

 

“Really? Is that something you have to ask?” Minju said with an incredulous look on her face.

 

“It wasn’t that long ago that you were the girl everyone avoided. You hated attention and people getting close to you. Now that you have someone who hangs around you everyday, of course people will talk. Especially since it’s me.” She added.

 

“Pretty brazon of you to say such a thing.” Chaewon scoffed.

 

“Fine, I guess. I just hope it goes away soon.” Chaewon added as she laid her head on top of Minju’s lap.

 

The angel smiled at the girl as she her hand through the girl’s light auburn hair. 

 

“This is new. You’ve never laid on me before.” Minju said with a giggle.

 

“Is it really that weird? You’re my girlfriend right?” Chaewon replied.

 

“We can’t be like this in public, but since it’s just you and me here, we can do these kinds of things.” She added.

 

“Yea, you’re not wrong. I just didn’t peg you to be this bold of a person. In fact, I was surprised that you straight out confessed to me the way you did.”

 

“Well, I guess you got to see another side of me then.” Chaewon said with a smile.

 

“Speaking of being my girlfriend, how long have we been dating?” She asked as she sat up.

 

“Hmm…” Minju said as she placed her hand on her chin, thinking.

 

“About a week now.”

 

“Right, a week. Don’t you want to do things like regular couples do?”

 

“Huh?” M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter