Feelings

Chasing Angels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Priscilla Ahn - Fine On The Outside


 

“One day I caught myself smiling for no reason, then I realized I was thinking of you.”

- Unknown


 

For the next few days, the seat beside Chaewon has been unoccupied. Minju had not shown up for classes and no one had been able to contact her. Chaewon still kept to herself as if nothing had happened though, but one person knew something was up. As Chaewon headed towards the roof during lunch, she was confronted.

 

“How can you act like this?!” Kriesha asked.

 

“What are you talking about?” Chaewon questioned, void of any emotion.

 

“You know exactly what I’m talking about! How could you do that to Minju?!” Kriesha remarked.

 

Chaewon remained silent, averting her eyes from the fuming Kriesha. Chaewon tried to push her way past Kriesha, but Kriesha was not about to let Chaewon leave without an explanation.

 

“She really cared deeply for you, yet how could you do that to her when all she wanted to do was help you?”

 

“I never asked for her help.” Chaewon replied.

 

“She barely even knew me anyway.” She added.

 

“Then you should’ve kept it that way. You shouldn’t have let her in in the first place.” Kriesha interjected. 

 

Chaewon gritted her teeth as Kriesha’s words struck a nerve in her.

 

“In these past 2 years that I’ve known you, you’ve pushed everyone away. Even me, when I tried so hard to break down your walls. I’d assume that you’d do the same when Minju tried, but was surprised at how you didn’t resist.” Kriesha said.

 

“I finally thought someone had made a dent, but then you go off and pull that stunt. I pegged you for someone cold Kim Chaewon, but I can’t believe that you’d be so heartless to someone who was genuinely trying to pull you out of your own darkness.” She continued. 

 

“She didn’t deserve to be hurt by the person she was so concerned about. I hope for your sake and hers, that you’d fix your messed up reality. I won’t forgive you if any harm comes to Minju because of you.” Kriesha added as she ended the conversation and headed back to her classroom.

 

•~•

 

“Minju dear, you should eat something.” The halmoni said as she placed some congee on the desk next to Minju’s bed.

 

“Thank you Halmoni, but I’m not feeling very hungry.” Minju replied as she remained on her bed unmoved under her covers.

 

“You’ve been staying home from school for a few days now, and you haven’t eaten anything either. Are you sure you’re not sick? Do you need to go to the doctors?” The halmoni asked.

 

“I’m fine. I’m just feeling a little bit under the weather that’s all. Don’t worry about me too much. I’ll get better after some time to myself.” Minju reassured her.

 

“You should get some rest, I’m sure you’re tired from today.” She added.

 

“Oh nonsense. I need to move my old bones every once in a while too you know. But, I guess I can use some rest. Let me know if you need anything okay dear?” The halmoni said before walking out of Minju’s room.

 

Minju sighed heavily as she looked at the congee on the desk. 

 

Halmoni made an effort to make this so I should probably eat some of it.

 

Minju thought to herself as she dragged herself off her bed.

 

She opened the lid to the stone pot to reveal a still steaming pot of abalone congee.

 

She really went all out if she added abalone to this.

 

Minju took the spoon that was laying next to the pot and scooped a spoonful. She blew on the congee to cool it down before consuming it. It was delicious and Minju was grateful for the efforts Halmoni put into it, but she still had no appetite. Although angels don’t need to eat in the first place, being on Earth for so long can drain them of energy. Hence, the only source of energy for them is food. Yujin didn’t mind it though after experiencing food on Earth. She was always raving about how tteokbokki was the love of her life now. Minju cracked a smile as she thought about the younger angel scolding her for not eating the delicious food prepared by Halmoni.

 

Both of them were actual very thankful that Halmoni took them in. After arriving on Earth and trying to find a place to stay while they complete their assignment, they ran into Halmoni. She was just a lonely old woman who yearned to see her grandchildren, but couldn’t unfortunately. Minju and Yujin reminded her of her grandchildren so much that she desperately offered whatever she had just to see them every once in a while. Both parties needed help and both had what the other wanted so the girls took up the offer.

 

“I really shouldn’t make this go to waste then.” Minju convinced herself.

 

Minju returned to her bed after finishing up the congee and began to sulk some more. She couldn’t get Chaewon’s words out of her head. She tried so hard to help her but her efforts ended up causing her more pain.

 

“I guess human emotions are a lot more complicated than I thought” Minju said to herself.

 

What am I going to do now?

 

I’m probably just going to make things worse if I go back.

 

But I can’t just leave things the way they are now. It’s my fault I’m in this situation anyway, but what am I supposed to do?!

 

Minju thought as she ruffled her hair violently out of frustration.

 

Suddenly, she heard something strike against her window. She paused for a moment to listen, and again, something small struck against her window. Minju climbed out of bed and made her way to her window. She looked outside and her eyes shot right open, shocked to see what it was. She quickly rushed out of her room, down the stairs and out the front door.

 

“What are you doing here, Chaewon?” Minju asked, bewildered.

 

She was met with silence as Chaewon could not meet her eyes. Chaewon was standing still, unable to make a move. Minju could see the girl trembling and was confused how Chaewon was standing in front of her, but it didn’t take her long to know what she needed to do.

 

“I’m sorry.” Minju suddenly said, causing Chaewon to quickly look up at her confused.

 

“I’m sorry I caused you so much pain. I didn’t mean to overstep my boundaries. I just wanted to help you that’s all.” Minju said.

 

“I should’ve been more considerate and thought about your feelings. Instead, I just did whatever I wanted, and that ended up causing you to get hurt. I understand that you hate me, and anything I do or say won't change that, but I just wanted to let you know, I’m truly sorry for hurting you.” She added.

 

There was a bout of silence as the two were frozen where they stood.

 

“You sure do a lot of talking when someone is trying to apologize to you.” Chaewon finally spoke up.

 

Minju looked at Chaewon dumbfounded.

 

“W-what?”

 

“I’m trying to apologize to you, so let me do it.” Chaewon replied.

 

Minju cupped as she couldn’t believe the situation that was unfolding in front of her.

 

Chaewon took a deep breath as she closed her eyes, trying to calm her nerves.

 

“I didn’t mean what I said the other day.” Chaewon said.

 

“It’s just, everything drastically changed when you showed up and I didn’t know how to handle it. I know you were just trying to help, but your methods were a bit too aggressive for me, to anyone honestly speaking. I didn’t like how you dug into my past like that without considering our feelings. I wouldn't have said anything if you asked anyway, but still. Either way, I’m really so-”

 

Before Chaewon could finish her apology, a pair of hands were wrapped tightly around her. Her face quickly became red as she became flustered with Minju’s embrace.

 

“So you really don’t hate me?” Minju asked as she looked at Chaewon with her big doe eyes.

 

“N-N-NO! Now let go of me!” Chaewon said as she broke from the angel’s embrace. 

 

•~•

 

As the two settled down in the courtyard of the house, Minju wanted to ask Chaewon more questions. However, as she learned the hard way already, she didn’t want to pry too deep again. Minju sat in silence as she twirled her thumbs, contemplating what she should do. 

 

“Go ahead and ask.” Chaewon suddenly said, as if she could read Minju’s mind.

 

Minju looked at the girl, flustered at how she knew.

 

“I could read you like a book, so hurry up and ask before I change my mind.” Chaewon replied.

 

Minju hesitated for a moment, but decided to take the chance since Chaewon allowed her to.

 

“Why do you put up with her bullying?” Minju asked.

 

“Because…” Chaewon sighed heavily before continuing.

 

“She’s my friend.” 

 

“You still consider her as your friend after all she’s done to you? I still don’t understand that. Wouldn’t you get tired of it? Wouldn’t a true friend not bully you in the first place, even if you guys went separate ways?” Minju asked, confused.

 

“I know why she’s doing what she is doing, but I don’t care.” Chaewon replied.

 

“And what is that?” Minju questioned.

 

“She’s trying to make me leave the school by bullying me and making me feel isolated to pursue the dream I gave up.”

 

Chaewon’s words made Minju remember what Eunbi had muttered before running off the day she confronted her.

 

“Eunbi did say that you had something, but you gave it all up. Is that the dream you were talking about?” Minju questioned.

 

“Yea.” Chaewon answered as she nodded her head.

 

“I’m sure you heard the story from Yena already, but she doesn’t know what happened after that. We as a group failed the audition, but the scout approached me afterwards and told me that I alone passed. I just needed to set up an appointment with them and sign a contract.” Chaewon said.

 

Minju finally realized what Chaewon had done to make Eunbi upset.

 

“You didn’t set up the appointment did you?” Minju asked.

 

“From how Yena and Eunbi talked about it, it seemed like you were really striving for it. Why did you give it up? ” She added.

 

There was a bout of silence as Chaewon hesitated for a moment. 

 

“I didn’t want to do it without Eunbi.” Chaewon broke the silence.

 

“Her dream was to be an idol too, but she lost the opportunity because she pushed herself too hard for our sake. I didn’t want to take the offer if I had to leave Eunbi behind. She found out and became angry at me. I wanted to explain to her, but one thing led to another and we never got to talk to each other again. She began bullying me after she found out that we were attending the same high school. I didn’t want her to feel guilty or think that it was her fault still so I just let it be, hoping she would feel better.” She continued.

 

There was another moment of silence. Chaewon was confused, thinking that she was going to be bombarded with more questions but as she turned her head to check on Minju, she was dismayed. The angel could not contain herself anymore and was crying rivers of tears.

 

“Chaewon…” Minju managed to say in between wiping her tears away and sniffing.

 

“You’re such a saint!” Minju cried, but still couldn’t contain another round of tears from falling again.

 

After calming Minju down, the night was quiet again.

 

“So it’s all a bunch of misunderstandings right now. You guys should talk it out.” Minju said.

 

“You’re meddling again.” Chaewon warned, causing Minju to pout.

 

Chaewon sighed seeing Minju sad again.

 

“I’ll figure something out. I want to do it myself and in my own way. I just need some time, okay?” Chaewon said, causing Minju to instantly perk up.

 

“Also….” Chaewon paused for a moment.

 

“Come back to school.” She continued.

 

“It’s kind of boring there without you.” Chaewon quietly muttered under her breath.

 

Minju pretended not to hear, but couldn’t help but crack a smile. She unconsciously began moving towards Chaewon for a hug. Before she could make any contact though, her forehead met the end of Chaewon’s palm.

 

“Stop. You need to follow some general rules when you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter