One

Make Me Love You
===
 
"Dad, are you busy?"
 
"Not really."
 
Tiffany carefully went inside her father's office and sat on the chair. The old man must have sensed his daughter's uneasiness that he put down the documents he was reviewing. 
 
"What's wrong?"
 
"I have something to tell you." 
 
"Oh. What is it?" Mr. Hwang straighten in his seat while placing his clasped hands on the desk. He observed his usually confident daughter fidget in her seat. "Oh my! Are you finally seeing someone? Who is it? That owner of the new cafe down the street?" 
 
"What?" Tiffany looked at her father in confusion. 
 
"Or is it that chef from that restaurant you always go to?" Mr. Hwang couldn't seem to stop himself from firing all the questions. "Oh! Must be that barista in that coffee shop downstairs! Or that..."
 
"Dad, I'm gay."
 
"What?"
 
No one dared to say a word after Mr. Hwang leaned back in his seat, utterly surprised at Tiffany's confession. They just sat there, staring at each other, not knowing what to say or do. After a minute of deafening silence, Tiffany shifted uncomfortably and decided to speak up.
 
"I know, this is so random. But I've been thinking for months now to come clean with you." Tiffany looked at the old man warily. "Yes, I did try dating a guy but it's just..." She sighed at the thought of the nice young man at the nearby bakery. "They're not really my type. You know... like... I just don't like them." 
 
"But...!"
 
"I know. You want me to get married, start a family, run the business, and whatever." 
 
"But what about..."
 
"I already told you. I don't wanna get married." 
 
"But...!"
 
"Dad, my decision is final. I hope you respect my..."
 
"What if I find you a nice young lady?" Mr. Hwang had never thought those words would come out of his mouth. "I'm still shook about this... this coming out... But I still want you to settle down."
 
"Dad." 
 
"Hear me out first?"
 
"Fine." Tiffany huffed as she leaned back. This wasn't what she had in mind but at least it's better than getting disowned. 
 
"I'll find you a suitable nice young lady, you go out with her, and then you two will get married." Mr. Hwang said too enthusiastically than intended. "I already have someone in mind!"
 
"Dad, no."
 
"Why not?"
 
"I'm not looking for a relationship right now."
 
"But you're not getting any younger!"
 
"I'm fine." Tiffany waved her hand dismissively. "Besides, I don't like the idea of an arranged marriage."
 
"But...!"
 
"I think this conversation is over." Tiffany stood up, conveniently cutting her father's words. "I'm glad that you seem okay with this... about me. But I don't need you to arrange someone for me."
 
"But Ti...!" Mr. Hwang shook his head when Tiffany left the office without looking back.
 
===
 
"Good morning Miss Hwang." The young lady bowed politely.
 
"Good morning."
 
"President Hwang requested a meeting at 10 am in his office today."
 
"Oh? How come it wasn't on my schedule?" Tiffany placed her bag on the desk and took the papers handed by the secretary.
 
"He called half an hour ago and requested for the earliest slot available."
 
"Okay." Tiffany nodded while reading the proposal. "I thought this was approved a month ago?"
 
"It was." The secretary nodded in approval.
 
"I believe this project is going smoothly. Why do I have to deal with this?" 
 
"President Hwang didn't mention anything about it." 
 
"Alright." Tiffany placed the documents on her desk. "Thank you, by the way."
 
"No problem, Miss Hwang." The secretary bowed before leaving her office.
 
===
 
Knock knock knock
 
"Please come in." 
 
The door slowly opened and Tiffany let herself in. Seeing her father occupying the sofa, she walked carefully to him and sat on the chair. 
 
"Good morning." Mr. Hwang greeted her with a wide smile after putting down the newspaper.
 
"Cut it out, Dad."
 
"Alright."
 
"So what is it?" Tiffany placed the folder on the coffee table. "Is there something wrong with this project? I thought it was..."
 
"Ah, you see. My good old pal Heechul has..."
 
"Dad." Tiffany cut him off, knowing where the conversation was headed to.
 
"Hear me out first?"
 
"This is like the 5th time already."
 
"And you never let me finish." 
 
"That's because I'm not interested, Dad. Can't you take a hint?" Tiffany looked at her father in disbelief. "I'm not looking for a relationship."
 
"But she's perfect for you!"
 
"Perfect or not, I'm not interested." 
 
"But...!"
 
"Dad, no more of this nonsense. Please."
 
===
 
"What's wrong?"
 
"Nothing."
 
"It's not nothingif you keep on sighing like that." 
 
"It's just about my dad." Tiffany absentmindedly stirred her drink. "He's really into that idea of me settling down and all that nonsense." 
 
"Maybe you should hear him out for once."
 
"Why?"
 
"Because you're not getting any younger?"
 
Tiffany rolled her eyes at the all too familiar words. "You sound just like him."
 
"But it's true. Almost everyone had settled down and you... Well, you're still you." 
 
"What does that even mean?" Tiffany eyed her friend accusingly.
 
"I'm just saying that maybe you should give it a chance and see where it goes."
 
"I don't want a forced relationship."
 
"It's just dinner.
 
"But still."
 
"Just meet her for dinner. It won't be that bad."
 
"Ugh. Fine."
 
===
 
"Good morning, Miss Hwang."
 
"Morning."
 
"President Hwang requested a m..."
 
"Is this about that stupid marriage thing again?"
 
"Uh..."
 
"It's fine." Tiffany waved her hand dismissively. "I'll go. No worries. Anything else?"
 
"That is all, Miss Hwang."
 
"Alright. Thank you."
 
===
 
Knock knock knock
 
"Please come in."
 
"Dad, I swear for the..."
 
"Hear me out first!"
 
"Fine." Tiffany sighed in defeat before taking a seat. 
 
"Just one dinner. How about that?"
 
"One dinner."
 
"Yes. One dinner. If you don't like her, which is so unlikely..." Mr. Hwang coughed unnecessarily. "Then I'll let you be."
 
"This is too good to be true, Dad."
 
"I just want you to meet her. I'm sure you'll like her."
 
Tiffany scoffed at her father's enthusiasm. "Right."
 
"I swear! She's perfect for you!"
 
"Really, now."
 
"So? Dinner? You're going, right?"
 
After much contemplation, Tiffany nodded just for the sake of it. "Fine. I will. When is it?"
 
"Tomorrow!"
 
"What?!"
 
"I already cleared your schedule for tomorrow so no worries." Mr. Hwang smiled brightly. 
 
"Oh god, I can't believe you." Tiffany shook her head before stomping her way out of the office.
 
===
 
"Great, she's late." Tiffany mumbled to herself as she looked out the window. 
 
"Good evening." The voice startled her that she almost jumped out of her seat. "I'm so sorry for being late." The young lady bowed apologetically.
 
"No, it's fine." Tiffany stood up and pointed at the empty seat. "Please, have a seat."
 
"Thank you." 
 
Tiffany called for the waiter's attention upon deciding on what to eat. After their orders had been taken, they just sat quietly, not even daring to look at each other.
 
"I'm sorry for being late."
 
"It's alright."
 
"Oh, I'm Taeyeon, by the way." Taeyeon reached out for a handshake.
 
"Tiffany." Tiffany shook the hand briefly and tried to ignore the awkwardness. "So..." She cleared awkwardly, catching the girl's attention.
 
"I got held up at school." Taeyeon smiled apologetically. "That's why I'm late." 
 
"Oh."
 
"I feel like I need to explain myself." 
 
"You didn't have to." Tiffany waved her hand dismissively. "So... you got held up at school?"
 
"Yeah, we have this presentation next week and since it's a Friday, we had to finalize everything." 
 
"Ah."
 
"Yeah." Taeyeon nodded. "Uh... How about you?"
 
"What about me?"
 
"How was your day?" 
 
"It was alright. Just a few meetings here and there." Tiffany thanked the waiter after serving their food. "I hope it doesn't come out as impolite but..." She looked at the girl who was cutting her food. "How old are you exactly?"
 
"21." Taeyeon smiled before taking a bite.
 
"Were you forced to go here and meet me?"
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"Are you... even aware why we're having this dinner?"
 
Taeyeon nodded and placed the cutlery on the table. "Some sort of a blind date?"
 
"Yeah... but..."
 
"Hm?"
 
"Aren't you bothered about..."
 
"About what?"
 
"I don't know how you feel about the situation but... I'm already 28."
 
"Oh." 
 
"Yeah. So..."
 
"But you don't look like it." The compliment clearly surprised Tiffany that made Taeyeon chuckle. "Besides, I don't mind the age difference." She observed her for a while before continuing. "Does it bother you?"
 
"Well, to be honest... yes."
 
"Oh." 
 
Tiffany didn't miss the disappointment in the girl's voice that somehow made her guilty. "Just to be clear..."
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Our fathers want us to get married." Tiffany furrowed her brows upon seeing the calm expression. "An arrangedmarriage."
 
"Yes, I'm clearly aware." Taeyeon nodded in understanding.
 
"And you're okay with this?"
 
"Well, not entirely. But I want to give it a try." 
 
"Give it a try?"
 
"Hm. Get to know you and stuff." Taeyeon eyed Tiffany warily. "Can I?"
 
"Why...?"
 
"I hope this doesn't sound rude but..."
 
"What?"
 
"You're very attractive and I haven't dated anyone who's... you know, a bit older than me and..." Taeyeon sighed upon realizing she was rambling. "Okay, I should be honest, right?"
 
"Right." Tiffany nodded, her dinner completely forgotten as all her attention was now focused on Taeyeon.
 
"I actually agreed to meet you after my dad showed me a photo of you." Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. "Well, to say that you look so beautiful in that photo is an understatement." 
 
Tiffany had a faint smile on her face as she shook her head. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into."
 
"I may be too young and foolish but I really want to get to know you." Taeyeon scooted forward. "If you give me the chance..."
 
"Okay, you see." Tiffany cut her off. "Alright, fine.The attraction is mutual." She waved her hand dismissively. "Sure, you're clearly my type and I don't know how my father found out about it. But... really.It's so difficult to date me."
 
"Why?"
 
"I'm too preoccupied with work. I can't give you all the attention you need. You don't deserve any of that." 
 
"But it's alright. I'm busy with school too?"
 
Tiffany laughed lightly at the innocent response. "My kind of busy is like 10 times worse than your busy." 
 
"We can work things out?"
 
"Are you thatattracted to me that you want this so bad?"
 
"This is embarrassing but yes, I am." Taeyeon grinned sheepishly that nearly made Tiffany smile.
 
"Really."
 
"How about we go out for 3 dates then you get to decide?"
 
"I told you, I'm busy."
 
"I'll find a way for you." Taeyeon smiled, her pleading eyes clearly got the best of Tiffany.
 
"Alright, 3 dates."
 
===
 
A/N: Let’s just all pretend this isn’t a repost :-) it’s been two years since its original upload so I bet people have already forgotten about this mess. Anyway, enjoy reading (or rereading for some). :-) Also, I might edit some bits but not too sure, I’ve been struggling trying to write something decent so we will see!