Maybe we can start slow

On the other side of the wall

Hyunjin entered the classroom, almost shouting a ‘good morning’, and sat on her usual seat next to Chaewon. 

“Look who’s got a girlfriend,” Chaewon said with an irked eyebrow. 

“You? Congrats, it was about time you and Hyejoo made it official, wasn’t it?” 

“Yah!” Chaewon slapped her arm. “I’m talking about you.” 

“No. But we’re good again, we talked it out, I apologized, then we cooked together, watched a movie, and went to sleep. Cuddling.” Hyunjin held back the gigantic grin that wanted to stretch on her lips, avoiding Chaewon’s teasing smirk as she took her things from her bag. 

“Please, you’re a married couple already. You seriously didn’t tell her you like her?” 

Hyunjin sulked on her chair. “No. But you’re one to talk. Why haven’t you sorted things out with Hyejoo already? You have nothing to fear, it’s more than obvious you’re basically dating, except not really.” 

Red painted Chaewon’s cheeks. “Because she might not want the same and I don’t want to ruin whatever we have. What if she thinks we’re just being really good friends and doesn’t see things the way I do?” 

“Have you thought that maybe she’s in the exact same place? And doesn’t want to talk to you because she’s also afraid?” 

“I think about that every day. But then I get comfortable in where I’m standing and I give up once more. I guess that makes me a coward.” 

“Then we can be cowards together.” Hyunjin raised a hand and waited for Chaewon to high five it, like the sorry cowardly losers they were.  

Just when class was about to start, Hyunjin leaned closer to whisper in her ear - “Me and Heejin don’t go and call each other soulmates. Think about that.” 

The day went by slower than Hyunjin wanted. All she wanted was to arrive home and make a phone call she had been thinking about all day. 

“Jinsol!” Hyunjin said, as soon as she picked up. 

“Aeong, hey, you’re in a good mood. Let me guess, it’s about Heejin?” 

“Damn right.” Hyunjin explained everything, the smile always lingering on her lips. 

“That’s great, I’m happy for you, but why aren’t you two together yet really?” 

“I didn’t call you so you could scold me.” Hyunjin pouted. “I don’t wanna rush anything, things are fine now, I’ll let it flow. Things will happen when it’s the right time, if they are meant to happen.” 

“You know you can make the right time, right? You don’t need to wait.” 

“Okay, enough of that. Tell me something, you mentioned Jungeun teaches in a dance school or something, right?” 

“Yeah, why? You want to go too?” The teasing smirk was obvious in Jinsol’s voice. 

“No, not me. Heejin told me she always loved to dance, but she stopped because of some complications with her mother. I wanted her to go back to it, now that she can. Can you tell me where that dance school is so I can take her there?” 

There was silence over the line, and Hyunjin peeked at her phone to make sure the call was still ongoing. Then, there was a sniff. 

“You’re so kind, Aeong.” 

“Can you stop making fun of me?” Hyunjin grunted. “I’m trying my best.” 

“You make fun of me about the things I do for Jungeun all the time, the least you can do is let me have my revenge.” 

“Fine, I’ll give that to you. Now, do we have a deal?” 

“Well, do you know which style she likes?” 

Hyunjin scrunched her nose. “I actually have no idea. I don’t know the first thing about dance, I didn’t ask such questions.” 

“I hope you’re not planning on making it a surprise then, because there’s about twenty different dance styles they teach over there.” 

“That doesn’t matter, I’m taking her there and she’ll sign up herself if she wants to.” 

“Gotcha. I’ll text you.” 

“Thank you so much, Jinsol.” 

“It’s fine, you own me a drink at ViViD.” 

“As if I’m giving you much trouble-” 

“Bye!” And Jinsol hung up. 

Hyunjin clicked her tongue, but at least things were going smoothly and the way she pictured it. 

--- 

A couple days went by, and Hyunjin knew it was Heejin’s day off, because she had to leave her bed alone, and left Heejin sleeping with her plushie, instead of her. As she stepped outside the classroom, she texted on her phone, asking if she was available to hang out on that warm spring day. She barely had time to pocket her phone, when the response came, so fast as if Heejin was waiting for it. ‘Yes c:’ - the simplest answer, but enough to make her knees wobble. 

“Look at you,” Chaewon snickered. “Smiling at your phone like an idiot.” 

“Shush. Have you talked to Hyejoo?” 

“Wow, you’re bringing that up every time I make fun of you now?” 

“Great idea.” 

Chaewon huffed, and Hyunjin laughed at her. “It’s a great day today, you should invite her to do something.” 

“So she brings Yerim along? No, thanks.” 

“Oooohhhh... I see it all now.” Hyunjin raised her eyebrows, the pieces clicking together, and Chaewon frowned at her. “That’s why you haven’t talked with her. You think Hyejoo’s into Yerim?” 

Red covered Chaewon’s face, all visible even though she looked the other way to try to hide it. 

“Heejin slept with another girl on the other side of my wall, but am I not still fighting? You’re clinging onto an idea that’s in your head only. Don’t let it decide for yourself.” 

Chaewon halted, a couple students almost bumping into her as they walked behind her. Hyunjin mumbled an apology for Chaewon as she approached her. 

“You’re right,” Chaewon mumbled, Hyunjin barely catching it with all the students’ babbling around them. “You’re actually right! Thank you, Hyunjin!” Chaewon resumed her way, her pace faster than before. 

“Wait, are you actually going to talk to her?” Hyunjin dropped her chin. 

Chaewon stopped again and turned. “Maybe not, but that helped. Have fun with Heejin!” She waved and rushed, leaving Hyunjin clueless about what she intended to do. She shrugged, though, but was glad she helped.  

Focusing on her mission for today, Hyunjin peeked at her phone to find another message from Heejin she didn’t notice she got. ‘Where are we going? 

Hyunjin giggled to herself. ‘I have a place in mind.’ 

She rushed to their meeting point, not noticing how fast her legs moved. She kept her phone in hands in case Heejin messaged her, and to try to distract her mind while she waited, and to not look like she was constantly looking around, expecting to see Heejin arrive at any second.  

“Hey,” Heejin’s deep voice sounded behind her, and Hyunjin turned so fast she almost stumbled on her feet. “Sorry, did I keep you waiting?” 

“No.” Hyunjin gulped, her nostrils flaring as she took a look at Heejin’s outfit. Why did she have to look so damn good in vans, baggy sports pants, a white t-shirt, and an adidas cap?! Did she know they were going to visit a dance school?  

“I’m glad then. Let’s go? Wherever you have in mind.” 

Hyunjin nodded and led the way, with Heejin walking beside her. 

“Thank you for inviting me to hang out today. I didn’t feel like staying home, so I was hoping you would text me as soon as you were done with classes. Okay, maybe I was really expecting you to.” 

“Y-You know me well.”  

Heejin giggled, and Hyunjin felt nervous. That was a good idea, right? Heejin was going to like it. She promised she would think about that, and Hyunjin wanted to help. Right? 

They talked about Hyunjin’s day as they walked, the way memorized in Hyunjin’s mind. Another turn, and it should be in the end of the street. 

“We’re here,” Hyunjin said, slowing down and looking up at the lighted logo on the glass window – NewDance Studios 

Heejin stopped, stared at it, then at Hyunjin. 

“Jungeun, Jinsol’s girlfriend, teaches here.” 

“I'd heard. I know this school, Sooyoung is the owner.” 

“Sooyoung? Jiwoo’s girlfriend?!” Hyunjin’s eyes bulged, and Heejin nodded. “I didn’t know.” 

“They’ve tried to convince me to join, but...” 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t want to pressure you, you mentioned it and I thought it could help, but I messed up.” Hyunjin dropped her head. 

“No, you didn’t. I appreciate it. You’re really thoughtful and kind, Hyunjin. I’m the one who’s scared.” 

“What are you scared of?” The sounds of the city buzzed around them, and Hyunjin regretted her words. “H-Hey, let’s forget about this for now. How about a walk by the river? I’ll buy you ice cream.”  

Heejin chuckled, and Hyunjin could breathe again. “Alright, if you’re offering, I won’t refuse.” 

They walked to the nearby subway and all their way to the riverside was quiet. Hyunjin blamed herself. She should have waited, Heejin promised she would think about that, and she rushed and ruined everything.  

After getting them ice cream like she said she would, they sat down on the grass, staring ahead at the river. The breeze felt so good on her skin, blowing perfectly to turn the sun enjoyable.  

“I’m sorry,” Heejin said, the ice cream on her hand melting and almost getting on her hand. “I ruined the mood.” 

Hyunjin pouted and pointed at her ice cream. “Aeong.” 

She managed to rip a smile from Heejin’s lips. 

“No, it wasn't you, it’s my fault-” 

“No, Hyunjin. I miss dancing, but I’m scared.” 

Hyunjin had asked why before, she couldn’t do it again. 

“I tried to, in our house. I tried to dance, but instead of bringing me happiness, it only brought me bad memories, of my mother yelling at me for dancing instead of studying, or sometimes going further than just yelling... You know.”  

She her ice cream a few more times and sniffed, all while Hyunjin had no idea what to say or do, only to try to contain the rage building inside her. 

“It seems like my body doesn’t know how to move anymore. Or maybe I’m too afraid to know if I still can do it or not, so I started to give up.” 

“When you think about dancing, when you try to do it, you associate it to your mother. You need to connect it to something different, something new, so when you think or do it, it brings you good memories.” Hyunjin paused, wondering for a second if she should say the words in the tip of her tongue. “I’ll do with you. I-If you want to, of course, I can try and dance with you. I’m pretty sure I have two left feet, but at least you can laugh at me and I will make you look much better.” 

The sun shone on Heejin’s eyes as she stared into Hyunjin’s. She opened a couple times, but no sound came, so instead, she rested her forehead on Hyunjin’s shoulder. 

“I don’t know what to say, Hyunjin. Just... thank you.” 

“You don’t have to say anything. Just say yes if you want to.” 

“I would love that.” Heejin raised her head, leaving their faces too little inches away. Hyunjin’s surroundings blurred around Heejin, because it didn’t matter where they were, she would always be the most beautiful thing her eyes could look at. Once again, at her lips, and a voice screamed so loud she wondered if someone around them shouted for them to kiss. 

“,” Heejin hissed, looking at the melted ice cream that ended up reaching her hand. “We better eat them fast.” 

Hyunjin cleared , devouring hers, because she sure needed to cool herself down. 

She couldn’t handle that again. It was the second time it had happened, and she was not sure if she was strong enough to handle it a third time without losing it. 

After their walk by the riverside, and picking some takeaway food for dinner, they went back home, where Heejin seemed to be restless.  

“Let’s dance,” she said, as soon as they finished doing the dishes. 

“A-Already?” 

Heejin’s smile faded. “You don’t want to?” 

“Yes, I do! I was just surprised.” And freaking happy that she could motivate her that much. “Teach me something.” 

The grin was back to Heejin’s lips. She played something on her phone and turned to Hyunjin, but her body stood still. Hyunjin took a step closer and grabbed her hands, making her meet her eyes. 

“It’s only me here. Empty your mind, focus on this moment, and set your body free.”  

Heejin closed her eyes, squeezing Hyunjin’s hand and taking a deep breath. Hyunjin took another step closer and pulled Heejin against her body, resting her hands on her shoulders and swinging her body slowly. 

“M-Maybe we can start slow? I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about dance, I don’t even know what you like to dance.” 

Heejin giggled, as she placed her hands on Hyunjin’s waist and followed her awkward movements. “I used to learn some kpop choreographies that I liked, but sometimes I tried to improvise and even created some hip-hop routines.” Hyunjin gulped, the image of Heejin dancing something like that popping on her mind like earlier. “But this is perfect.” 

Perfect described it. The feeling of her body so close to hers, but yet not close enough. But when the courage to bring her closer pulsed on Hyunjin’s hands, Heejin’s body started moving more, freer, as she pushed Hyunjin so she could spin. Then, she grabbed Hyunjin’s hands and danced like she was dancing in a disco at night – wild, her limbs moving on its own, her hair bouncing from side to side as she threw her head to the sides. Hyunjin tried to follow her, beaming so hard her cheeks hurt.  

They danced for who knows how long, until Hyunjin was out of breath and had to drop her body to the couch, resting her head back. As she stared at the ceiling, she wondered if she should get a mirror ball. Would Heejin like it? 

Heejin’s body fell beside Hyunjin, their fast breaths filling the silence.  

“I haven’t danced this much for so long,” Heejin mumbled. 

“Did you have fun?” 

“Yes, so much. Thank you again, and next time I promise I’ll teach you something.” 

“And I’ll work hard to learn it well.”  

The day’s tiredness started kicking on Hyunjin’s body and mind. “I’m gonna make some tea.” Heejin only hummed in response.  

They drank their tea in silence, and it felt so comfortable. Hyunjin peeked at Heejin, as she stared down at her mug with a small, lingering smile on her lips.  

She hoped she could do more things for Heejin, no matter big or small, as long as that smile could stay there for as long as possible. 

--- 

Hyunjin had all her focus on her books when her phone buzzed. She grunted, not minding to see the name when she picked up. 

“Aeongie!” Jinsol’s voice pierced her ear. “Busy?” 

“Yeah, trying not to lose my mind in the books. I have an exam tomorrow, and another on Wednesday and Friday.” She sighed, massaging her temples. 

“Jeez, good luck. But hey, I have good news then, my birthday party will be on Friday night! Awesome, right? Since you’ll be done with exams, you can relax and have tons of fun!” 

“Oh, y-yeah, right!” No, Hyunjin did not forget that Jinsol’s birthday was coming up soon, she was just too focused and it slipped her mind for a second. “That will actually be great.” 

“It’s gonna be here in our house, we’ll have food and drinks and music. And tell Heejin to come too, Jungeun’s gonna bring Jiwoo and all.” 

Jiwoo... 

“Yes, I’ll tell her.” 

“Awesome! Okay, I’ll leave you to your books, don’t forget to eat well, drink lots of water, and sleep. Also, spend some time with Heejin to relax a bit, yes?” 

Hyunjin smiled. “Yes, mom. Say hi to Jungeun for me.” 

“Say hi to Heejin for me, then!” 

She went back to her marketing study session but now with an extra motivation. And Heejin was going to be there too. Well, Hyunjin still had to talk to her, but there was no reason for her to say no. 

---

A/N: what can I say... look forward to the next chapter? keke ^-^