How do you like your coffee?

On the other side of the wall

She hid her face again and shook her head. She had seen it coming, there was no way she didn’t. She was just trying to deny it because it would be easier to not have it. But was it so bad? What if her friends were right? 

Heejin did bring her bread, knowing it was her favorite thing in the world (okay, maybe not anymore, and she couldn’t believe she just had that thought). Heejin did ask her to watch a movie, and held her hand, and asked her to spend the night with her, and cuddled, and holy could she really have a crush on Hyunjin as well?! 

Hyunjin checked the time on the wall clock. It was 9 in the morning, on a Saturday, and there she was, accepting her fate in the kitchen, when she should be making breakfast. 

That’s it! She already said she would prepare breakfast, why not surprise Heejin with breakfast in bed? For the first time in her sad and miserable lesbian life, shouldn’t she fight for it, when, also for the first time, there was a chance that it was not one sided? 

But what if she was seeing things? What if her friends were wrong? What if Heejin was just being friendly, and didn’t see Hyunjin in any other way? They were roommates, Hyunjin could ruin their friendship and turn things awkward, and then they would have to literally live with it. 

But if she didn’t try, she could never know. Maybe Hyunjin could make her fall for her. That’s possible, people don’t have to be madly in love to start a relationship, it can be built over time and let the feelings flourish, and why was she already thinking of a relationship?! 

Hyunjin grunted and let her body fall to the nearest chair, then let her forehead meet the table, with a loud bang. 

“Are you okay?”  

She straightened herself even faster, and found Heejin by the bathroom door, in her black pajamas, staring at her with an irked eyebrow. 

“Yes, yes, I am, I just, felt dizzy for a second. Don’t worry, I’m fine, I just need to eat something, so go back to bed while I prepare everything, alright?” 

“You sure? I can help you.” 

“I’m sure.” Hyunjin stood up and nodded at her. 

It took her a couple seconds, but Heejin nodded back and entered the bathroom at last. Hyunjin cupped her own cheeks, gave them a couple soft slaps, and turned to the kitchen. She would cook a breakfast Heejin wouldn’t forget, at least until Hyunjin cooked one even better. 

Scrambled eggs, french toast, yogurt, fruit, tea for herself, and the essential for Heejin – a hot cup of coffee. Hyunjin mentally thanked Jinsol for teaching her all of that, when she prepared breakfast for Jungeun as she stayed the night.  

For sure Heejin was expecting Hyunjin to go call her when breakfast was ready, because her chin dropped when Hyunjin entered her room with the tray in hands.  

“Oh my god, Hyunjin, you didn’t need to,” Heejin said, sitting and helping her set the tray on the bed. 

“But I wanted to. I made you coffee.” 

Heejin looked at all the food and her chin dropped. 

“Thank you so much, Hyunjin. I never had such a pretty breakfast, let alone having it brought to my bed. You’re so kind.” 

Hyunjin smiled, not bothering to hide how happy that made her feel. “I’m glad, then. I hope everything’s good and up to your expectation.” 

“When you said you were going to prepare breakfast, I expected like, a bowl of cereal or a sandwich, not all of this! This is way above any expectation,” Heejin said before attacking her toast. She munched on it for a second and hummed, her eyebrows drawing together. “It’s delicious!” 

Hyunjin could stay and watch her eat all morning, but that would be weird, so she bit her toast, and was surprised as well. “It actually is.” 

Then, the ultimate challenge, the coffee. Hyunjin observed as Heejin took it to her lips, blew it a couple times, and took a sip. 

“I’m impressed. I’m very selective with my coffee, and even though this tastes different from mine, it’s still good.” 

“I’ll do better next time,” Hyunjin blurted. 

Heejin stared at her, taking another sip. “It took me a while to master the perfect coffee for my taste, but if you want to try again, I accept.” She smiled. 

“Why do you like coffee so much?” 

“I didn’t use to like it, but I got used to it.” 

“If you didn’t like it, why did you keep drinking it?” 

Heejin paused, looking at her eyes, then looked down and pierced a strawberry with a fork. “Bad nights of sleep. I had to stay awake for classes somehow, so I relied on coffee. It helped, and it still helps.” 

Hyunjin kept quiet for a few seconds, observing her munching quietly on her fruit. “Nightmares?” 

“Not only.” 

Why did it feel like Hyunijn was going somewhere she shouldn’t? But also, why did she feel like asking more? She didn’t want to be intrusive, but... 

“I-If you wanna talk about something, know that I’m here,” she said. “I’m not saying right now, I’m saying like, if you ever feel down, or just need someone to talk or rant, or some company, I’m here.” 

They stared at each other, and Heejin smiled at her. “Thank you. It’s just that, aside from the nightmares, I have bad insomnia. That’s why I can’t sleep much even if I go to bed early, and it’s hard to wake up. Today wasn’t so hard, though.” 

Hyunjin gulped and tried to look anywhere but Heejin’s smile. “I-I’m sorry to hear that. That’s why you normally listen to music until late?” 

“Oh my god, I’m sorry, does it bother you?” 

“No! No, it’s not about that, it doesn’t. I was just wondering.” 

“Then you are right.” 

“Has that been happening for a long time?” 

Heejin sighed. “Unfortunately.” 

There was a pause, because Hyunjin had no idea what to say more. She wanted, somehow, to comfort her, or understand her better, but how? 

“Enough about me,” Heejin looked up at her again. “Tell me something about you.” 

“L-Like what?” 

“For how long have you played the piano?” 

“Since I was seven.” 

Heejin widened her eyes. “No wonder you play so well.” 

Hyunjin felt her lips stretching into a big, shy smile. “I’m only average, and I just play for fun. But I’m glad I never gave up on it. I still love playing it and it helps me relax a lot.” 

“I’m glad as well,” Heejin said. “Actually... Whenever you play it and I happen to be home, I turn off my music so I can listen to it.” 

“I-I can do it for you!” Hyunjin blurted. 

Their eyes locked once again, Heejin’s smile growing as she tucked a dark lock behind her ear. “If you’re offering it like that, I won’t refuse.” 

“Whenever you want, you can come to my room and I’ll play you something.” 

Maybe Hyunjin was being too straightforward. But maybe it could work. And she couldn’t waste away all that boldness that she had no idea where it came from. 

“I’ll keep that in mind.” 

And she did. Later on that same day, after making lunch together, as Hyunjin’s mind had imagined before, and watching the two other The Maze Runner movies, including bearing with her heart hurting on her chest whenever Heejin held her hand, and snuggled closed, and then listening to Heejin’s ranting and crying over the ending, there she was, knocking on her door. 

“Are you busy now?” Heejin asked, peeking inside. 

“Not much,” Hyunjin said, closing her marketing book. 

“Then, play me something.” 

It didn’t matter if she had an exam coming up soon when Heejin smiled at her, eager to listen to her playing. 

“Sure.”  

Hyunjin sat in front of her keyboard, thinking of what she should play. 

“You really love cats,” Heejin said, sitting on her bed. 

“Hm? D-Do I?” 

“Well, look at your pajamas.” 

“Pusheen is cute.” She looked down at her own clothes. 

“It is, and these cat plushies are as well.” Heejin grabbed one, the exact one Hyunjin always slept with. 

Whenever Hyunjin found Jinsol on her bed, because she claimed was comfier than her own, she would always drag her out and tell her for the nth time she hates people sitting on her bed. But seeing Heejin sit so comfortably, legs crossed, and her plushie against her chest, made her heart flutter.  

And no, she didn’t hate Jinsol. She just found the idea of Heejin on her bed, the both of them in her room very... cute. 

“W-What do you want me to play?” Hyunjin asked, trying to ignore her own mind. 

“I don’t know, I don’t really know many classical songs by name.” 

If Hyunjin wanted to impress her, she knew what she had to do. She nodded and looked down at her hands, then took a deep breath, and let her fingers do the work. 

A couple minutes later, when she was done, she looked at her side to find Heejin staring at her, her eyes gleaming more than usual. 

“Did you like it?” 

“I loved it,” Heejin said. “What song was that? I didn’t recognize it.” 

“That’s because it’s an original.” 

“An original?!” Heejin’s mouth fell open. “So not only do you play, you're a composer too? You’re so talented, Hyunjin!” 

“Oh, n-no, it’s nothing special.” 

“It is, it’s beautiful! Do you have more?” 

“I might.” 

Heejin pouted, and it probably was the cutest thing Hyunjin had seen so far. “Please?” 

“For another time.” 

Heejin glared at her. “I’ll remember that, Hyunjin.” 

She didn’t know why, but whenever Heejin called her name, if felt like if a bit of her soul left her body, until Heejin would become her death eventually. 

Wow, maybe Hyunjin was thinking way ahead of time, wasn’t she? 

“Do you have any other talents?” Heejin asked. 

“I bark.” 

Please don’t bark at her, was what echoed in her mind the following second, as she remembered Jinsol’s words, but it was too late now. She could only smile and pretend it was fine, when she wanted to hit herself now. 

“You what?” Heejin wanted to laugh already, and without any further ado, Hyunjin let herself be possessed by her dog alter-ego, barking exactly like a dog would sound, and Heejin’s eyes wouldn’t widen more. “Oh my god, how in the world do you do that?” 

“I don’t know, I just... do it.” 

“It’s so real, I could swear a dog was in here.” 

“I usually did this to annoy Jinsol, and there was this time one of the neighbors told her that she should train her dog better so it wouldn’t bark so much and so loud.” 

Heejin exploded in a fit of loud laughs, letting her body fall to the bed, and Hyunjin couldn’t help noticing that, even though her bed was smaller, there was enough space beside her for her to lay- 

“I can’t believe it! That’s too funny.” 

“Yeah, we laughed a lot.” 

“You seem to be very good friends.” 

“Well, she’s my best friend, and we’ve been friends for many years. Even though she’s older than me, she’s like a baby, and most of the times I was the one taking care of her when she was around. She’s great company and we lived well together, but now she’s with her girlfriend, Jungeun. I just hope she’s not giving her a hard time,” Hyunjin said, chuckling and shaking her head. 

“I see. That’s cute.” 

“But I love having you as my roommate,” she added, and Heejin looked up at her again. “You’re fun to be around, and we go along really well. I wouldn’t want anybody else as my roommate.” 

A small smile returned to Heejin’s lips. 

“H-How about I play something else for you?” 

“I would love to.” 

Hyunjin focused all her attention on her keyboard, trying to hide how fuming red her face was. She played the first thing that came to her mind, and let the sound of the melody fill the room.  

This song she chose on a whim was longer than her original, and when she finished, she expected Heejin to be staring at her with the same shining eyes, but instead, they were closed. She had fallen asleep on her bed, under the blankets, hugging her cat plushie, and now, this was the cutest thing Hyunjin had ever seen. Didn’t she say she usually had insomnias at night? Playing the piano helped that much? Hyunjin didn’t mind playing it every day for her, if that meant she slept better. 

It would be a crime to wake her up, so Hyunjin stood up and was about to move to Heejin’s room when she stopped by the door and looked back. There was enough space for the both of them, just like she had noticed before, and that was her bed after all. It wasn’t like they hadn’t slept together the previous night. Sleeping another one wouldn’t do any harm.  

So, Hyunjin turned off the light and as careful as she could, she laid down, facing her. The glowing stars on her ceiling casted enough light to reflect on Heejin’s face. Hyunjin moved away a piece of hair that had fallen to her cheek, tucking it behind her ear, and her skin felt so soft, too soft for her not to rest her hand on her neck, her fingertips caressing her hair. Heejin could wake up at any second, but Hyunjin didn’t care. All she cared about was approaching to plant a long kiss on her cheek, and to whisper “Good night, Heejin,” near her ear. 

---

A/N: is this too much fluff or are you handling it well? c':

I'll give you guys a hint... the next chapter will be very important.

Thank you all for the support! ^-^