For the bread, of course

On the other side of the wall

 

Hyunjin arrived home, at last. Long day of classes, and hearing Jinsol bragging about her new house and Jungeun, and teasing her about Heejin for two hours exhausted her. All she wanted was to eat the bread she had left the day before-  

“Where’s my bread?” Hyunjin frowned when it wasn’t where it was supposed to be. 

She searched inside every cabinet, on the table, even inside the fridge, and... nothing. No bread, but dirty plates in the sink. Hyunjin took a deep breath, and after staring at it for a few seconds, she found the culprit. The bread crumbs in one of the plates. 

“Heejin... Not only she left dirty plates to wash, but she ate my bread.” Hyunjin leaned against the kitchen counter and took long, deep breaths. “It’s okay, there is no way she would have known-” 

The door opened. 

“Did you eat my bread?!” Hyunjin said before Heejin could even step inside. 

Heejin frowned and closed the door. “Y-Yes, but I-” 

“Why would you eat my bread? Do you know how precious bread is to me?!” 

“I thought you’d forgotten about it so I ate it, I didn’t want it to grow moldy and go straight to trash,” Heejin said, lifting a bag in her hand. “I brought freshly baked bread, though.” 

Hyunjin’s features lit up, and her eyes were looking at the single person that defeated all the evil in the world. And she just realized she was rude for no reason at all. 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry.” Hyunjin took a hand to her forehead. “I just... get really hangry. I’m sensitive when it comes to bread.” 

It was noticeable that Heejin was holding a laugh from how she forced her lips into a thin line. 

“I understand, I can’t function without caffeine,” Heejin said, removing the contents from the bag, revealing not only bread, but a couple take away containers. 

“I don’t really like coffee, so you don’t have to worry that I will finish it or something.” 

“Oh, great. I’ll be careful now not to eat your bread. I thought I was the only one who didn’t mind eating bread from the day before. Sorry.” 

“No, actually, it’s okay, I can share it with you.” 

Heejin stopped and looked at Hyunjin’s eyes. 

“You’re sure you won’t regret your words?” She smirked. 

Hyunjin gulped, and at last, Heejin burst out laughing. And how could she not forgive her for the hairs in the drain, the dirty plates, and her bread, when she looked so adorable? 

“W-What?” Hyunjin forced a frown on her face. 

“Nothing, I just had never seen someone being so protective over bread before.” 

Hyunjin rolled her eyes. “I get that a lot.” 

“I can see why. Let’s eat? I’m starving.” 

Heejin opened the boxes to reveal some stir-fried noodles, kimchi, and kimbap. Hyunjin widened her eyes and her lips, hearing her stomach rumble. 

“Thank you so much, you didn’t have to bring so much food.” Hyunjin sat, and waited for Heejin to do the same.  

“It’s okay. I didn’t even know if you would be home or if you’d be hungry, but I heard that students are always hungry. I wanted to thank you for receiving me so well yesterday, and also apologize for making things... awkward.” 

“Oh.” The image of Heejin leaving the bathroom in a towel invaded Hyunjin's mind once again, but she blinked and shook it off. “Why don’t we start from scratch and properly introduce ourselves?” 

“That would be great.” Heejin smiled, handing her a pair of chopsticks. “I’ll go first then. My name is Jeon Heejin, I’m twenty, and I work at a coffee shop.” 

“I’m twenty as well! Omo,” Hyunjin said, her voice filled with excitement. “I’m Kim Hyunjin, and I’m studying business in college.” 

Heejin nodded with raised eyebrows. “Wanna be a business woman, huh?” 

“I want to open a bakery.” 

Heejin almost spit the food she was munching on. “I-I’m sorry, I was not expecting that.” 

“I also get that a lot.” 

“It’s cute, though,” Heejin said, eyes down on her food. “That you know what you want to do and you’re working towards your goal.” 

“Don’t you have one? Don’t you want to go to college?” 

“No, actually no.”  

Maybe Hyunjin went somewhere she shouldn’t have. Heejin kept her head down, and the smile was gone.  

“Y-You arrived earlier today,” Hyunjin said. 

“Oh, yeah, I don’t really have a fixed schedule, so my days off and working hours vary. This week I’ll be arriving at this time.” 

“I see. Is it hard working at a coffee shop?” 

“I get to talk to lots of people and make drinks exactly how they like it, so that’s fun. Sometimes you’ll get rude customers or get sore from having to stand all day, but it’s alright.” 

Hyunjin nodded, listening to Heejin talk about her work. She couldn’t wait any longer to taste the bread she brought, so she took a big bite and nothing else around her existed. 

“Heejin... Where is this from?” 

“The bread? It’s from where I work. We have several kinds of bread and we make it fresh three times a day.” 

Hyunjin widened her eyes. “Since when do coffee shops have bread this good?” 

“You probably don’t go to coffee shops a lot, do you? Since you don’t like coffee and all.” 

Hyunjin shook her head sideways. 

“Nowadays, a coffee shop can’t rely on coffee alone. The customers expect the best from even the meals, the bread, the pastries... Everything tastes amazing there.” 

“Where is it?” 

A few taps on Heejin’s phone, and she turned it to Hyunjin.  

“It’s not far from college! I might pay you a visit.” 

“Oh, is that it? I’ll be waiting for you." 

“B-Because the bread is really good!” 

“Of course.” Heejin smirked. 

Could she read Hyunjin’s mind, or was she too obvious?  

--- 

“See you tomorrow.” Hyunjin stood up. 

“Going home already?” Her friend Chaewon asked, following her outside the classroom. 

“No, but I have to go somewhere.” 

“Where? I’ll go with you.” 

“N-No, it’s okay, I can go alone.” 

Chaewon grabbed her wrist, making her stop and look back, meeting her frown. 

“You’re up to something.” 

“I’m just going to buy bread.” 

“Okay, then I’m coming with you." She smiled, and how could Hyunjin say no to that? She sighed and resumed their way, pulling Chaewon with her. “Assa! Is this a new place we’re going to?” 

“Yes.” 

“Is it nearby?” 

“Yes.” 

“Is the bread good?” 

“Do I look like I buy bread that’s anything less than excellent, Chaewon?” 

“No, not really.” Chaewon laughed. “Let's tell Hyejoo to come, too.” 

Hyunjin rolled her eyes. Maybe that was a good idea, going with them was the same thing as going alone, because they would be too absorbed in their own world. And then Heejin wouldn’t think she’s stalking her or something, because she would be going with her friends. 

“Yes, tell her to come.” 

She knew how to make Chaewon happy. 

What she didn’t know, was that Yerim was going to come as well. And for some reason, they were really loud and hyped that afternoon. All she wanted was to visit Heejin- visit Heejin’s coffee shop to buy some bread, and maybe work a bit on her assignment. Obviously, it would be impossible to concentrate. Because of Yerim and Hyejoo and Chaewon, of course.  

They found the place after a ten minute walk, and the big, red letters above the entrance didn’t go by unnoticed – ViViD coffee shop.  

“We walk by this place lots of times, but I’ve never tried it,” Hyejoo said, as the four of them walked inside. 

The interior was modern, but with a chic vibe. The walls half wood, half painted in red, with the floor also in wood. The wall behind the counter was black, with the menu written by hand in white and red. 

Then, there she was, behind the counter, taking the costumers’ orders. Hyunjin stood in line, behind her friends, so she wouldn’t see her just yet, and from there, she scanned the bread and other foods they had on display. 

They were done ordering, so they moved to the other side to wait for their drinks, while Hyunjin waited for Heejin to finish placing the 5th pastry her friends had ordered on the tray. She knew most of them had been ordered by Hyejoo. That girl had the appetite of a wolf. 

Then, she returned to the counter, and finally noticed her. 

“H-Hyunjin!”  

“Hi, Heejin. I told you I would pay you a visit.” She smiled at her, then remembered the real reason why she went there. “I mean, to eat bread. They all look so yummy, I don’t know what to order. Can you recommend something for me? I liked the one you brought yesterday, but I want to try something new.” 

Heejin giggled. “Alright, sweet or salty?” 

“Sweet.” 

“Okay, give me a second then.” 

Hyunjin nodded with a smile, following Heejin with her eyes and peeking at what she was choosing for her.  

“Chocolate bread. One of the costumers’ favorites.” 

“Sounds delicious.” 

“Anything to drink?” 

Hyunjin shook her head, while taking a bill from her wallet. 

“Did you come here by yourself?” Heejin asked, counting the change. 

“I was going to, but those loud girls that ordered half the menu are my friends, unfortunately,” Hyunjin giggled, tilting her head in their direction, where they were already seated. 

“Oh, those are your friends? I didn’t notice you were with them.” 

“Oh, yes, I like to pretend I don’t know them so I don’t get as embarrassed.” 

“I see,” Heejin laughed and gave her the change. “I asked because I’m about to go on my break, so if you were alone I could keep you company, but since you’re not, well, I hope you and your friends enjoy your meal.” 

“N-no! You can still keep me—us company, right? You should join us,” Hyunjin proposed, her eyes drifting everywhere. 

Heejin’s eyebrows raised. “Oh, right, sure! Five more minutes and I’ll go.” 

Hyunjin nodded, and joined them at last. 

“I don’t know why you insisted in coming here, but thank you, this macchiato is great,” Yerim said, patting her back. 

“Because they have great bread.” Hyunjin took a bite on her chocolate bread, and she couldn’t help but let out a satisfied groan. “It’s great.” 

It sure was, just like the view. Her eyes wandered to Heejin, and there they stayed. She looked so cute with her hair in a ponytail and the black apron draping over her front. Her smile was always on her lips whenever she talked to a new costumer, even though she was probably working for some hours now. And how her brows knitted together when she prepared a drink- 

“Hyunjin!” A hand shook her, stealing her attention. “What were you looking at? What else could be more interesting than the bread in your hands?” Chaewon, who sat in front of her, turned, and when she turned again, a smirk was plastered on her lips. “I knew you were up to something.” 

“I-I told you, the bread is great, want a bite?” Hyunjin extended her hand. 

“I believe that, but the girl is also very pretty.” Chaewon wiggled her eyebrows. 

“Girl?” Yerim and Hyejoo asked at the same time. 

“It’s not it-” 

“Which one? The one with the ponytail, or the bun?” Yerim asked. 

“Guys...” 

“The one who took our orders, with the ponytail. Am I right?” Chaewon asked, taking a sip of her tea. 

Hyunjin sighed. “It’s not like that, for real. She’s my roommate, and-” 

“Your roommate?!” Yerim said, too loud for the place they were.  

“Keep it down, you idiot!” Hyunjin smacked her leg, glancing at Heejin, but it seemed she didn’t hear it. “Let me explain! Yes, she’s my new roommate, Jinsol moved in with her girlfriend. And yesterday she brought me bread, because she ate mine, and I said I would stop by to get more bread.” 

“And to visit her,” Chaewon added. 

“Even if that was true, is there a problem in paying my roommate a visit?” Hyunjin huffed. 

“Not at all, you’re just showing how interested you are in her,” Yerim said. 

“I’m not-” 

“Hi,” A voice said, and Hyunjin almost jumped off her chair.  

“H-Hey, Heejin, you came!” 

“Yeah, Haseul let me take a break now. I’m Heejin, Hyunjin’s roommate. Hyunjin invited me to join you guys, if that’s alright.” 

“Yes, of course!” Yerim grinned. “We were just talking about-” 

“How great the food is! And they really like the coffee too,” Hyunjin said, holding herself not to punch her. 

“It’s unusual for coffee shops to have this much variety when it comes to tea. I’m happy I was able to get my favorite,” Chaewon said. 

“Oh, that’s nice to hear.” Heejin pulled a chair from a vacant table aside them and sat at the edge of their table. “Actually, Haseul prepared your drink, I’ll let her know you liked them... Chaewon, is it?” Heejin asked, trying to read the name written on the girl’s cup.  

Hyunjin let their friends introduce themselves while diving on her bread again. 

“So, Heejin,” Chaewon took another sip of her tea. “What is it like being Hyunjin’s roommate? A hassle, right?” 

“No, nothing like that!” Heejin waved her hands when Yerim and Hyejoo laughed. “It’s only been three days, but she’s very nice and fun to be around.” 

“Take that, all of you.” Hyunjin flipped her hair. 

“We know she’s just being nice,” Hyejoo mumbled. 

“You see the kind of friends I have? Unbelievable.” Hyunjin sulked. 

“True friends roast each other like that,” Heejin said. 

While Hyunjin dropped her chin, her friends laughed. “You too, really? Wow, you came here just to side with them, didn’t you?” 

Heejin laughed along. “I’m sorry, they’re funny. But don’t worry, I meant what I said,” she said, and when something soft rested on Hyunjin’s hand, four pairs of curious eyes stared at it. At Heejin’s hand on top of hers. 

“Heejin?” Her colleague, which Hyunjin assumed to be Haseul, called.  

“Y-Yes, coming!” Heejin stood up so abruptly the chair almost fell, if it wasn’t for Hyunjin’s quick reflexes. “I’m s-sorry, duty calls. It was great meeting you guys, and have fun!” 

Silence took over for a few seconds, while Hyunjin’s brain still felt like a bluescreen. 

“Did you guys... see that?” She heard Yerim’s voice, even though it seemed to come from the bottom of a well. “How flustered Heejin was?” 

“And how red Hyunjin is,” Chaewon said. “Do you think she’s okay?” 

“More than okay,” Hyejoo added. “She’s head over heels already.” 

“Why would Heejin even do that?” Yerim asked. “I mean, she didn’t need to. But she did.” 

“I read that when someone’s into you, they’ll find excuses to provoke physical contact even when it’s not really necessary,” Chaewon joked while she grabbed Hyejoo’s arm and shook it in excitement. 

“Do you think she is?” Hyunjin suddenly snapped and turned to Chaewon, who even recoiled with the sudden question. 

“I think anyone here can see that.” 

Hyunjin looked around, to find nods.  

Could she really? 

---

A/N: thank you so much everyone for the votes and subs and votes already! I'm so happy you're enjoying this story ^-^

did you get the subtle hyewon? kekekeke