It was time

On the other side of the wall

 

Yes, Hyunjin should be studying or working on her finance and accounting assignment, but there was a certain someone that wouldn’t leave her mind. 

She couldn’t shake off her friends’ words. But Heejin did not have a crush on her, just like Hyunjin didn’t. Not to mention Heejin did every single one of her pet peeves: not only the dirty dishes and the hairs on the drain, she also left clothes scattered around the house, and had no consideration for how loud she blasted her music when Hyunjin was studying. 

But she was so pretty, and nice, and funny, and brought her bread so many times without her even asking for it, that Hyunjin couldn’t even be mad at her for all the things she did that annoyed her. 

In times like this, when she thought her brain would overheat and fry with the adrenaline, her piano was there to be the friend she needed. The piano was the only friend she had who wouldn’t to death for what she felt. 

She stopped for a little to stretch her fingers, while wondering what to play next, when a clap made her jump and turn her head to find Heejin by her door. 

“Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you,” she said, a hand on her chest.  

Hyunjin stared at her, her chin dropping further as the seconds passed, because since when Heejin wore round glasses that looked so goddamn adorable? “T-That’s okay, could you just knock next time?”  

“I did, but since there was no answer, I let myself in. I’m sorry, but I couldn’t not listen to you play. It was beautiful.” 

“Oh.” Hyunjin rested her hand on her neck, feeling her own pulse. The glasses really did something to her. “Thank you. I hope I wasn't bothering you.” 

“No, not at all!” Heejin shook her head. “I could listen to it all day. But I wanted to ask if you wanted to watch a movie on the TV? Tomorrow’s Saturday, so you don’t have to wake up early, and I also don’t work tomorrow.” 

“Yes, yes, sure.” 

Heejin smiled. “Great, wanna order some food?” 

“I never not want to order food.” 

And the smile grew into an ear to ear grin, making it difficult for Hyunjin to stand up. 

“Then you pick the movie,” Heejin said, skipping to the living room, phone in hands. 

No, Hyunjin did not have any sort of crush whatsoever on Heejin. The stupid smile on her face was because she was saved from her boring assignment, of course. 

And no, Hyunjin would not choose a scary movie on purpose, because she didn’t know if Heejin liked those. But, even though she had watched The Maze Runner before, and insisted Heejin should watch it because it was really good, Hyunjin forgot the suspense scenes were quite intense. She could feel Heejin restless beside her, pulling on the blanket over their legs, and when Hyunjin didn’t even flinch on the jump scare, Heejin yelped and moved closer to her, holding on her arm. And if that wasn’t enough to send Hyunjin’s heart on a rampage, for all of the duration of the scene in which the main character has to run from the creepy monster, Heejin s her hand around hers, squeezing it more and more, until he was safe and she could take a deep breath. 

“I’m sorry, I was nervous,” Heejin said, removing her hand from Hyunjin’s. 

“It’s okay, there are more scenes like this one, so feel free to hold my hand whenever you want.” 

Their eyes met and even Hyunjin was surprised at how easy those words came out. Heejin nodded and drove her attention back to the tv, while Hyunjin should have done the same, but it was the first time she took such a close look at her side profile. It was, hands down, the prettiest and most absurdly perfect side profile she had ever laid her eyes on. Her nose was impossibly straight, with those glasses that Hyunjin still couldn’t get over with, and probably would never, her lips, red and plump, her jawline sharp. If her face hadn’t been sculpted by the gods themselves, Hyunjin had no idea how was that even possible for a human being- 

“Yes?” Heejin turned and met her eyes. 

“N-Nothing,” Hyunjin barely mumbled, and looked ahead. 

The throbbing on her ears was so loud, she couldn’t listen to the movie, but at least she was thankful they were watching it with the lights off. Hyunjin didn’t want her to see how red her face was. 

If she’d thought things were pretty awkward already, she had no idea what was about to come up. It didn’t take long for Heejin to hold her hand again, as another intense scene approached. This time, Hyunjin wrapped her fingers around her smaller hand, and her skin felt so soft on hers. And while all Hyunjin could focus on was that alone, Heejin kept all her attention on the movie, barely blinking. 

A sniff broke the silence as the movie was ending. 

“He didn’t have to die,” Heejin mumbled, then sniffed again. 

Even in the darkness of the room, Heejin’s eyes sparkled. It was as if the whole night sky reflected on her eyes, with a shooting star rolling down her cheek. 

“I know,” Hyunjin said, still holding on her hand, but now, caressing it with her thumb. 

“At least the other jerk son of a died as well.”  

Hyunjin almost laughed, surprised by her choice of words, because she had never heard her swearing or anything close to. 

“There’s a sequel, right?” 

“Yes,” Hyunjin said. “Two more, actually. They’re all out already.” 

Heejin widened her eyes. “Let’s watch them tomorrow then.” 

“I would love to.” 

--- 

Hyunjin would appreciate if her brain shut down so she could sleep, but it preferred to imagine a hundred different scenarios for the next day. The time they would spend together, how Heejin would hold her hand again, and shift closer as they watched the movies. And maybe she could cook something for her, because she didn’t have that opportunity yet, then maybe they could go shopping for groceries, and cook together, and all of that sounded so cute and tempting, but all she wanted now was to fall asleep.  

A scream pierced her ears, making Hyunjin jolt up on her bed. Had she dreamt it? Who was screaming in the middle of the night? 

Then, she heard it again, but this time, she sent the blanket flying away and bolted out of bed, because she was sure it came from Heejin’s room.  

“Heejin?” Hyunjin called, her voice low, as she opened the door, but no answer came. Instead, Heejin grunted and kicked the blankets. 

Hyunjin slid inside and approached, squinting, so she could try and see where she went in the faint light that pierced through the blinds. 

“Heejin,” She called again, and as soon as she touched her arm, Heejin jerked upwards.  

“H-Hyunjin?” 

“Yes, it’s me,” She whispered. 

Heejin’s shallow breaths echoed in the silence, and Hyunjin wanted to hug her so bad, and tell her she was there for her, and nothing bad would happen as long as she was there. 

“Bad dream?” Was all Hyunjin could ask. 

“Yes. How did you know?” 

“Well, I heard you screaming. I thought someone had broken in or something like that.” 

“I was screaming?” Heejin sighed and rubbed her eyes. “I’m so sorry, Hyunjin.” 

“It’s okay, I was just worried. Can I help somehow?” 

“Actually, I could use some water. I’m all sweaty and thirsty.” 

“Of course. I’ll be right back.”  

As Hyunjin came back into the room with the glass of water, Heejin moved so Hyunjin could sit beside her, then handed her the glass. Her breathing had stabilized by now, but they were still in silence, save for the sound of Heejin swallowing the water. It wasn’t awkward, though, as Hyunjin thought it could be. Her eyes got used to the little light in the room, and she could see Heejin looking down at her lap. The urge to hug her felt stronger than ever, but she fought it.  

“Feeling better?” Hyunjin asked, and she nodded. “That’s good. Wanna rest?” 

Heejin hesitated, but nodded again. 

“I’ll be right there in my room if you need something. At times like this, you can forget what I said about knocking.” 

Hyunjin stood up, but a hand on her wrist stopped her from even taking a step. 

“A-Actually,” Heejin said. “Could you keep me company for a little longer?” 

She turned to find Heejin’s eyes on her, shining like before, and there was no way, ever, that Hyunjin could deny them anything. 

“I’ll stay for as long as you need.” 

“Stay the night.” 

And not even in the hundred scenarios her brain was coming up with just a while ago, she could have seen this coming.  

Yet, there she was, without a second thought, without a question, complying to her request, laying down under her blanket that felt warmer than any other.  

“I’m here,” Hyunjin whispered, feeling Heejin’s body moving closer, and her arm rested around her waist, pulling her even closer. “And I won’t let anything happen to you.” 

And the words she wanted so bad to tell her left her lips so effortlessly, because by now, she was sure this was nothing but a dream, and she better enjoy it while it lasted, because she would be laughing at herself when she woke up. 

--- 

She blinked, and images popped on her mind.  

Right, the dream. What a good dream, though, that she didn’t mind having every night. She chuckled and shook her head on her pillow, but why did it smell different? 

And what was this weight on her waist? And this warm sensation that tickled the back of her neck? 

Hyunjin forced her eyes to open, and her whole being froze.  

This was not her room. 

She turned, as slow as she could, and used all her might to suppress a yelp. 

Heejin laid beside her, her arm around her waist. Hyunjin’s heart thumped so hard on her chest, she feared it could wake her up.  

Embarrassment washed over her. She did say all those things. Well, time to deal with the consequences, which honestly, couldn’t be better.  

How was it possible for someone to look so pretty while sleeping? And she looked so peaceful, like she never woke up in the middle of night screaming with nightmares. 

Heejin moved, and Hyunjin panicked. Should she pretend to be sleeping? Should she turn around and pretend to be sleeping? But it was too late, she had opened her eyes and found her staring. 

“Hey,” Heejin yawned. “Good morning.” 

“G-Good morning,” Hyunjin said, and how could Heejin be so calm?! Right, because she didn’t have a stupid, huge crush- no, wait, what crush? 

“I’m sorry, you know, about the nightmares and making you sleep here.” 

“Oh, no, it’s nothing, really. Anytime,” Hyunjin said, then widened her eyes. “I-I mean, if it helped, I don’t mind, because of the n-nightmares, of course.” 

Heejin stared at her and laughed.  

“Thank you, Hyunjin. Actually... you did help. I slept really well and no more bad dreams. Did you sleep well? I’m sorry if I annoyed you-” 

“No! No, I slept super well. This bed is very comfy, so is the pillow, and you- I mean, you didn’t annoy me.” 

Hyunjin could feel her face warm up by the second, and she could use some teleportation power now. 

“I-I’m gonna prepare breakfast, you can rest a bit more,” She said, getting off bed, and even almost running away, she could still hear a faint giggle. 

Hyunjin leaned with her elbows on the kitchen counter and hid her face on her hands. She took a deep breath, another, then splashed her face with cold water. 

What the hell. 

She was well aware that everything had happened, but how?  

Focus, Hyunjin. 

Maybe... Maybe it was time to accept the fact that she had a crush on her. No, that she had a huge big  crush on Jeon Heejin. 

ing . 

---

A/N: finally Hyunjin kekekeke but what is she gonna do with this brand new information? 

Hope y'all liked the fluff, and I hope you're prepared for more c: