3/3

Color Outside the Lines (BEING TURNED INTO WEBTOON)

 

Yujin sat on the edge of the halfpipe, scrolling through her phone. It was quarter past eleven already but she wasn’t feeling too fretted, Wonyoung was always fashionably late. Wonyoung was probably on time only once, and that was when she was excited to go shopping for art supplies. 

 

If Yujin were to be picky then there were other times where Wonyoung technically was late, and yet in a way she was right on time. In fact, looking back on it now that logic could be used regarding most situations with Wonyoung.

 

……….

 

‘This girl.’ Yujin muttered as she fiddled with her softball bag. The rest of her teammates had left already and even Yujin’s coach had clocked out just minutes prior. 

 

She’d be lying if she said she wouldn’t be a little annoyed that Wonyoung was late again. Granted, this whole week that Wonyoung had been Yujin’s assistant, she had been late tobevery single thing but Yujin was never too fussed about it as being on time wasn’t really one of her pet peeves.

 

But right now she was a little bit annoyed. 

 

She specifically told Wonyoung to come meet her 10 minutes before the softball training ended. Yujin didn’t tell her this but she was hoping that Wonyoung could see her play softball. 

 

The girl had told her recently that she wasn’t a fan of school spirit and therefore had never been to any school sports matches whatsoever and she was determined to get Wonyoung to watch a game. And by a game, preferably one that Yujin was playing and was good at. Wonyoung did say that if the school had a skateboarding team, she’d watch them for a giggle. Especially if Heejin decided to join the team. Wonyoung would never let her hear the end of it. 

 

Yujin was about to leave when she caught somebody walking out of the entrance of the school. Squinting because of her bad eyesight (there was only so much contact lens could do for her clapped pupils), Yujin thought that it was Wonyoung. 

 

Turned out it was Minjoo. 

 

And Kim Chaewon. 

 

And Kim Chaewon was holding Minjoo’s bag for her.

 

And when Yujin sneakily ran closer and hid behind a wall to spy on them, she could see not just Minjoo, but also KIM CHAEWON blushing. 

 

Sadly, she wasn’t close enough to hear what they were saying but their bashful smiles were loud enough for Yujin. Minjoo kept playfully hitting her shoulder with that bashful smile. 

 

This was certainly a new development and Yujin was living for it. She had never seen Minjoo a whole flustered mess like that. Ever. And she and Minjoo had been best friends for ages. 

 

Maybe Wonyoung being late did have some pros. Or maybe just one pro but it was a good one. If she weren’t late, Yujin would never had witnessed this. 

 

Minjoo did mention that she was doing tutoring sessions, could it be that she was tutoring Kim Chaewon? 

 

Classic trope, right there. 

 

As Minjoo let out another bashful laugh coupled with her cute playful hit on Chaewon’s shoulder, Yujin couldn’t help but sigh. 

 

Minjoo was incredibly pretty. So was Chaewon. 

 

Yujin couldn’t deny that seeing her best friend acting shy like that was incredibly endearing and Yujin shook her body a little bit with a giggle, not being able to handle her cuteness. 

 

Wonyoung, who? 

 

Why did Yujin like Wonyoung, again? 

 

It would be much better to crush on Minjoo. Or Chaewon. Or even Shin Yuna, her shortstop. They were always on time to things! They never left people waiting, nor did they have a vendetta against school spirit and they would always have unwavering support towards every sport that Yujin played. Or at least Minjoo did. Yujin realised that maybe Chaewon had been going recently because of a certain cheerleader. Which was Minjoo. 

 

And when it started to pour with rain and Minjoo and Chaewon sped off to Chaewon’s car, giggling and laughing, Yujin finally let out a frustrated groan.

 

‘Why in the world do I like Jang Wonyoung?’

 

Yujin ducked her head and lifted her sports bag over her head, though it wasn’t really doing much for her. She sprinted towards cover, her arms still hurting from practice but still holding the heavy bag over her head. 

 

Her feet were beginning to feel heavy and Yujin had almost slipped a couple times but she was always able to steady herself. 

 

Until one time, she couldn’t.

 

Yujin was running up the stairs, not really being able to see where she was going because the heavy rain was pouring onto her eyes, and she swore that one of her contacts fell out but maybe she was just being dramatic. 

 

And next thing she knew, she felt herself falling backwards. 

 

This is it. She thought to herself. I’m doomed. 

 

She closed her eyes ready for the impact and she let out an ‘oof’ when her back collided with something. 

 

But then she realised that it wasn’t hard cement like what she was expecting. There were also a pair of arms around her waist. 

 

A pair of skinny and sort of… not particularly strong arms that were holding onto her desperately, making sure that Yujin was safe. And Yujin did feel incredibly safe in the arms of this person. 

 

She could recognise that perfume anywhere. 

 

‘God, you weigh a TONNE.’

 

Yujin turned her head to find herself face to face with none other than Wonyoung. 

 

She tried to jump out of Wonyoung’s grip, panicking over being this close to her. In the process, she tripped again but this time she fell forward into Wonyoung and the skater girl had caught her all over again. 

 

If their faces were close before, now they were basically touching. Yujin could feel Wonyoung’s breath on her face and her eyes briefly travelled down to her lips. They were right there, anyways.

 

All Yujin had to do was lean in. Just a little closer…

 

Yujin willed herself to forget about it. Or at least bury it down deep inside where it will probably only resurface on one particular night at a particular time when the moon was shining from a particular angle. In other words, at 2am and Yujin is on her period. 

 

Unfortunately, or fortunately, it was not 2am and Yujin had just finished her time of the month.

 

‘Thank you.’ Yujin said. She tried to hide the panic building up in her as she joked, ‘and I’m not heavy, you’re just weak.’

 

Wonyoung only smirked and walked up the stairs to retrieve Yujin’s bag that she had dropped in the process of falling over. She held the bag over Yujin’s head as she gestured for her to follow her up the stairs. 

 

Once they were under cover, Wonyoung handed the bag next to Yujin. 

 

‘Thanks.’ Yujin said. 

 

‘No problem.’ Wonyoung said. ‘You’re pretty clumsy for an athlete.’ 

 

Yujin squeezed some water out of her shirt. She swore she saw Wonyoung’s eyes flit towards her toned abs but she was probably just hallucinating what she wanted to see. 

 

‘I wouldn’t have been in this position if you weren’t late. What were you doing, anyways?’ 

 

‘There was a dog.’ Wonyoung shrugged like it was the chillest thing in the world. 

 

‘Right. Yujin said. ‘And what does the dog have to do with you being late? You didn’t spend a whole hour petting it, did you?’

 

Wonyoung crossed her arms, looking a little defensive. ‘And what if I did?’

 

Yujin just raised an eyebrow. 

 

‘I didn’t just pet the dog, okay? I got distracted trying to draw it and I lost track of time. That’s why I’m late.’ 

 

‘Sure. Then, let me see the drawing.’ 

 

Wonyoung brought one hand defensively to her backpack. ‘No.’ 

 

‘Why not?’ Yujin tried to grab at Wonyoung’s backpack but the girl was able to angle her body away. 

 

‘I don’t want to.’ 

 

‘Show me.

 

‘No.’ 

 

‘Do it.’ 

 

‘You’re not the boss of me.’ 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung both froze when the words left the skater girl’s mouth, although they were freezing for two different reasons. Yujin had a cheeky smile on her face, knowing she had won the argument while Wonyoung had and eyes open in regret. (Author’s Note: Imagine her face when she was offered alcohol ssjsjjs).

 

‘I AM your bo—‘

 

‘Don’t you dare say it.’ Wonyoung glared at her. She slid her backpack off of her shoulder and took out a paper from it. ‘I’m showing it to you now, just don’t say it.’ 

 

Yujin smiled victoriously as Wonyoung passed the drawing to her. 

 

However, when she looked down her smile softened to that of awe. 

 

Wonyoung’s drawing was good. Like really good. 

 

Yujin had seen Wonyoung’s drawings before, or spray paint masterpieces moreso, but the simple sketch was really pretty. She could see all the marks from where Wonyoung had rubbed out things, no doubt probably starting from scratch a few times. 

 

As Yujin looked closer at the smiling dog’s face, she noticed something peculiar. 

 

‘Hey, it kind of looks like me—‘ 

 

Wonyoung snatched the paper from her hand. 

 

‘Okay, you looked at it. Let’s go now?’ 

 

Yujin shivered a little, bringing her hands to her bare arms. She was only wearing her school skirt and her white t-shirt.

 

‘Can we just wait until the rain has died down a little bit?’ 

 

Wonyoung let out a huff as she eyed Yujin rubbing her arms to try and keep herself warm. ‘Did you not bring your blazer?’ 

 

‘My parents picked it up before to get it dry cleaned.’ 

 

Wonyoung let out a laugh. ‘Dry cleaned? Wow.’ 

 

‘Unlike some people, I wear it so much that it needs to be cleaned on a regularly basis.’ 

 

‘And you’re proud of that. Love that for you.’ Wonyoung chuckled. 

 

‘Whatever.’ Yujin said. ‘Let’s just go.’ 

 

She picked up her bag and froze when she felt something being put around her shoulders. She looked up at Wonyoung who was nonchalantly placing her jacket around Yujin. 

 

‘What?’ Wonyoung moved her hand away at a lightning pace once she caught Yujin’s eye. ‘I just didn’t want to hear you complaining the whole trip, that’s all.’ 

 

Yujin watched her casually start walking down the stairs, adjusting the black beanie on her head. 

 

Yujin sighed to herself. 

 

‘Oh, right. THAT’S why I like her.’ 

 

Back at the skatepark, Yujin scrolled through her phone to find the picture of Wonyoung’s drawing from that day. Wonyoung had confessed recently that she drew the dog because it looked like Yujin.

 

As the time clicked to 11:30, Yujin sat down on the edge of the halfpipe. 

 

‘Wonyoung, please.’ 

 

…….

 

‘I can’t believe you two had to call me.’ Seungkwan pinched the bridge of his nose as he sat in front of Wonyoung’s hospital room with Yena and Yuri. 

 

‘We didn’t know what to do!’ 

 

‘Here’s an idea. Call an ambulance?’ 

 

Yena and Yuri exchanged a glance. That was a very smart idea. 

 

‘Sorry, oppa. I hope you weren’t doing anything too important.’ Yena said, pouting slightly. 

 

‘It’s okay.’ Seungkwan smiled reassuringly. ‘Even if I was, you know I’d drop anything to help you or any of my adopted sisters.’

 

‘If all of Yena’s friends are your adopted sisters, does that make me your sister-in-law?’ Yuri piped up. 

 

‘God, I hope not yet.’ Seungkwan stood up and placed his hands on their shoulders. ‘I worry for your kid if you two ever get married.’ 

 

Seungkwan vowed to himself that he will be the best uncle and adult figure ever for Yena and Yuri’s child. Or children. God, Seungkwan was terrified for the day that there would be more than one Yena in the world. 

 

‘I’m going to grab Wonyoung’s things from the car.’ Seungkwan took his hands off their shoulders and pat them both lightly on the head.

 

Yena and Yuri watched as Seungkwan disappeared out the door. 

 

‘If we have a kid, can we name them Elvis and Prestley— ow! What was that for?’ 

 

Yuri was about to open to argue with Yena when a nurse walked out of Wonyoung’s hospital room. 

 

‘Are you here for Jang Wonyoung?’ 

 

Yena and Yuri instantly stood up, nodding furiously. 

 

‘She’s awake now and all of her tests have come out normal. You can come inside.’ 

 

Yena and Yuri rushed in, the latter going straight for Wonyoung’s hand to hold it tight. Yena ran in and smushed Wonyoung’s face, turning it from side to side to analyse her face. 

 

‘Unnie, mm— fuh-what are you mm— doing?’ Wonyoung said, her face still being squished.

 

‘Making sure this money maker is still working.’ Yena said. ‘I hate the cliche that our only prettiest friend is a cheerleader.’

 

‘We like telling people that one of our prettiest friends is an emo slash angsty skater girl teen.’ Yuri finished for her.

 

Wonyoung looked around the room, ignoring the comment about being an angsty teen. Usually she would argue against people whenever they said it, but Wonyoung’s thoughts were preoccupied. 

 

‘Unnie, what time is it?’

 

Yuri glanced at her phone. ‘12:20. A.M.’

 

‘What?’ Wonyoung shot out of her bed.

 

‘Careful! You just passed out.’ Yena scolded her. ‘What happened to you anyways?’ 

 

Wonyoung waved her hand dismissively, searching her pockets for her phone. 

 

‘I was hit by a car but none of that matters.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

Yena and Yuri’s eyes widened. 

 

‘Hit by a car? I think it does matter, Wonyo—‘

 

‘Where’s Yujin?’ Wonyoung pleaded. She groaned when she couldn’t find her phone. ‘Does she know I’m here? Where’s my phone, let me tell her.’

 

‘Yeah, she knows.’ Yena reassured her. ‘Yuri called her, right Yuri?’ 

 

Yuri awkwardly smiled. 

 

She let out a nervous laugh and gritted her teeth into a forced smile. ‘I thought YOU called her, sweetie.’ 

 

Yena winced when Yuri shot her a glare when she called her ‘sweetie’. Mad Yuri was cute 99% of the time. This was the 1%. 

 

‘But I thought YOU did.’ 

 

‘That’s because I thought YOU did!’ 

 

‘Guys! Shut up, just call her now.’ Wonyoung rubbed her temples. ‘Give me the phone, let me talk to her.’ 

 

Yena turned to Yuri looking at her expectantly. 

 

‘Why are you looking at me? I can’t make calls on my iPad.’ 

 

Yena sighed exasperatedly. ‘That’s what you get for not having a phone!’ 

 

‘Well sorry genius! Just use yours!’ 

 

Yena sat down sheepishly. 

 

‘My phone is out of battery.’ 

 

Wonyoung got out of bed, about to take the IV from her hand. Yuri just stood there looking at Yena incredulously.

 

‘Forget it. I’m going to her house.’ 

 

Yena and Yuri didn’t stop her from leaving. However, someone else did. 

 

‘Wonyoung ah.’ A voice from the door said. 

 

Wonyoung froze. 

 

‘Hi Dad.’ 

 

………..

 

‘That’s it. I’m calling the girl.’ Heejin said. ‘It’s been an hour this is getting ridiculous.’

 

‘Why is Yujin even still here? Should I just tell her to go home? Maybe we can use Wonyoung’s setup for our own date?’ Hyunjin said. 

 

Heejin made an impressed face. ‘You do have a point there. I’ll tell Yujin.’

 

But just as she was about to jump down to talk to the class president, Heejin’s phone started to ring. 

 

‘Ugh. It’s Eunbi unnie. Declined!’ Heejin snickered as she pressed hang up. 

 

‘What if it’s important?’ Hyunjin said. 

 

‘It’s just Eunbi unnie.’ Heejin shrugged. 

 

‘Speaking of Eunbi unnie, she’s going to be so mad when she realises that she lost the bet.’ Hyunjin laughed to herself. 

 

‘The bet?’ Heejin looked off into space with a confused face and Hyunjin just rolled her eyes in a strangely patient Hyunjin manner. Not many people could roll their eyes but still seem patient. Maybe it was just a Hyunjin thing when it came to Heejin. 

 

‘She heard that Chaeyeon sunbae bet that Wonyoung would ask Yujin out first so Eunbi unnie decided to counter by betting along with Hitomi that Yujin will ask Wonyoung our first.’

 

‘Oh right! And we’re gonna win our bet with Yuri, Yena and Nako!’ Heejin clapped her hands in glee. ‘Yuri, Yena and Nako betted on 2Kim getting together first while you and I were the ones who had faith in Wonyoung and Yujin.’

 

‘Correction. I only had faith in Wonyoung and you just copied my answer.’ Hyunjin said. She looked over at the poor girl in the skatepark who was scrolling through her phone, looking around every few seconds. ‘Yujin is out here acting all confident and acting like her crush on Wonyoung isn’t really a big deal, but really that’s her defence mechanism for her coward...ness. That’s why I only trust Wonyoung in this house.’

 

Before Heejin could come to Yujin’s defence, Hyunjin’s phone started to ring and the name the better Jeon popped up on the screen. 

 

‘Hey! What do you mean the better Jeon??’ 

 

‘Eunbi unnie!’ Hyunjin ignored Heejin. ‘What’s up? It must be important if you had to call me after Heejin hung up on you.’ 

 

Eunbi didn’t play along with Hyunjin’s joke. Instead her voice was serious. 

 

‘Hyunjin ah, where are you and Heejin right now?’ 

 

‘The skatepark waiting for Wonyoung to show up. By the way, next time you see her please beat her for making Heejin, Yujin and I wait for an hour.’ Hyunjin rolled her eyes.

 

Eunbi sighed. ‘You three, stay right there. We’re coming to pick you guys up.’ 

 

‘What? Why?’ 

 

Hyunjin could hear Eunbi starting the engine of her car as she shakily said her next words. 

 

‘Wonyoung’s in the hospital. Wait for us and if you’re wearing anything embarrassing please get rid of it. I’m not in the mood to be embarrassed by you two.’

 

Then she hung up.

 

‘It’s just a hospital.’ Heejin mumbled. ‘And since when did she get embarrassed by us?’

 

‘She’s right.’ Hyunjin started to wipe at Heejin’s strange war makeup. ‘They might put us in a mental hospital.’

 

Heejin was silent for a moment.

 

Then suddenly her eyes opened in shock.

 

‘Wait, did she say that Wonyoung’s in the hospital?’ 

 

…….

 

Yena and Yuri awkwardly stood on the side of the hospital room, staring at the man and his daughter. The latter did not seem happy. 

 

‘Glad you could show up to the party.’ Wonyoung scowled. ‘Too bad I was just about to leave.’

 

Wonyoung went to take out the IV from her hand but her Dad placed a hand over it to stop her. 

 

‘Wonyoung ah.’ He said. ‘The Doctor said that even though your results had shown up normal you still have to stay overnight—.

 

‘—just as a precaution, blah blah. Yes, they already talked to me before.’ She shooed his hand away glancing desperately at the door. Time was ticking and Wonyoung was freaking out that Yujin was mad at her and never wanted to talk to her again. 

 

‘Look at you, acting like you know what’s going on with me.’ Wonyoung laughed humorlessly. ‘Let me go. I have somewhere to be.’

 

‘Wonyoung, I’m sorry.’

 

Wonyoung stopped resisting for a moment to look at him. She wanted to hear what he had to say but she also wondered if she had the patience to listen to any excuses he was going to make. 

 

Her Dad sat on the hospital bed when he realised that she was indeed listening. Wonyoung stayed put, still conscious that time was ticking. 

 

‘Your friend talked to me today. Last night she requested for an appointment to speak directly to me.’

 

Wonyoung glanced towards Yena and Yuri, who both shrugged. Of course it wasn’t them. It definitely wasn’t Eunbi or Heejin.

 

Yujin. 

 

‘I have to say that I was intrigued. I’ve never had a High School student book an appointment with me.’ He chuckled. ‘I was even more intrigued when she arrived today in perfect school uniform and a lot of awards. I’m guessing she’s a bit of a model student?’ 

 

‘Model student. Overachiever. Workaholic. However you’d like to put it.’ Yena piped up from the side. 

 

Wonyoung’s Dad jumped a little, remembering that there were other people in the room. 

 

‘Time is ticking.’ Wonyoung ignored Yena and kept her eyes on her Dad who could meet her eyes. ‘Just get to the point.’ 

 

Wonyoung’s Dad sighed. 

 

‘Right.’ He ran a hand through his hair. ‘She told me that she’s a good friend of yours. And that you’re the best thing to ever happen to her.’

 

Yena coughed a little when he said that. 

 

‘And then she started asking me about you. All kinds of things. Like your favourite color, your favorite food, hobbies, music. She even asked me your age and grade in High School.’

 

‘And you couldn’t answer them, couldn’t you?’ 

 

Wonyoung’s Dad looked down, his shoulders slumping ever so slightly. It was a weird sight, seeing a powerful businessman sitting humbly in front of a young girl strapped to a hospital IV. 

 

‘Wonyoung ah, your friend made me realise just how much I’ve been neglecting you. As a father. She told me how it’s been affecting you and I was planning on talking to you about it when you got home but then you weren’t there and then I got a call from the hospital and…’ 

 

He paused to hold back the tears that were forming in his eyes. ‘I lost your Mom because I was stupid. I won’t lose you too.’ 

 

Wonyoung clenched her fists when he mentioned her mother. 

 

‘My whole life I’ve been so selfish, Wonyoung ah. I’ve always felt empty and I thought that the only way to satisfy myself was to focus harder on my career and work. But looking at you now and seeing how much you’ve been growing up, I realise that I’ve got my priorities wrong. I don’t want you to be alone anymore.’ 

 

Wonyoung said nothing, only pursing her lips together. She stared at the ground as her father continued. 

 

‘Just before I came here I stopped by at work, asking for a month off from work. I’m the CEO, what are they going to do? Say no?’ 

 

In the back of the room, Yuri let out a soft chuckle that was only audible to her girlfriend standing right next to her. 

 

‘God, even if they’ve never talked before Wonyoung’s Dad acts a lot like her.’ Yuri said. ‘Also, I feel like we shouldn’t be here.’ 

 

She turned to look at Yena when she wasn’t responding and saw that the girl was trying to hold in the tears in her eyes. Yuri rolled her eyes and kissed her cheek.

 

Wonyoung kept staring at her Dad. He did seem genuine about his words and Wonyoung would be lying if she said she didn’t feel like tearing up a little bit. But, she knew that she couldn’t let him off that easy. She’s heard this type of speech before, when her Mom first died and he became her guardian. 

 

He had to work for it.

 

‘That’s very nice of you.’ Wonyoung said. ‘But it’s going to take more than words for me to accept your apology.’ 

 

Then she took off her IV and went to walk out the room. 

 

‘Wonyou—‘ her Dad went to say but then someone walked into the room, calling her name. 

 

‘Wonyoung ah!’ Seungkwan came into the room smiling brightly. He held out her phone which Wonyoung quickly took to try and call Yujin. 

 

‘Also,’ Seungkwan placed one hand behind his back and bowed forward, ‘for you, little cutie.’ 

 

Wonyoung eyed the object in her hand and smiled adoringly when she saw the flowers she had bought for Yujin. Hopefully Yujin would still accept them if she explained to her what happened. 

 

Yena rolled her eyes at how cheesy her brother was. ‘Seriously, He keeps forgetting that all of my friends aren’t 5 years-old.’

 

‘Let him live. He’s never had a little sister he could baby.’ Yuri said. She turned to her girlfriend, eyeing her up and down. ‘Instead, he got some pig off the streets that threw hands with him everytime he treated her like a girly princess.’ 

 

‘Yah! Pig?!’ 

 

‘I love you~’ Yuri kissed her temple. 

 

‘Thank you, Oppa.’ Wonyoung smiled up at Seungkwan. 

 

She looked at the flowers, hugging them closer to her chest. Just thinking about Yujin made her feel giddy. 

 

‘Wonyoung ah!’ Her Dad said with a knowing look. ‘What’s all this?’ 

 

Wonyoung’s giddy smile left once her Dad came to stand next to her. 

 

‘What’s it look like? They’re flowers.’ 

 

Her Dad nodded suspiciously, a smile on his face. ‘Indeed they are.’ 

 

He extended out a hand to Seungkwan. 

 

‘I’m her father, it’s a pleasure to meet you.’ He said.

 

Seungkwan shook his hand firmly, used to talking to businessmen as he was studying accounting in university. 

 

‘It’s a pleasure to meet you too, Mr Jang. My name is Seungkwan.’

 

‘Tell me, Seungkwan.’ He placed a hand on Seungkwan’s back as if they were close friends. Yena whispered to Yuri that her brother did have that sort of effect on people. ‘What’s my daughter like? Tell me all of her best and, if there are any, not so best qualities.’ 

 

‘I think that your daughter is amazing, Sir.’ Seungkwan said, smiling proudly at his honorary, adopted sister. Wonyoung returned the smile, although somewhat shyly since she and Seungkwan weren’t that close. 

 

Wonyoung’s father smiled at Seungkwan. 

 

‘But, I don’t think I’m the best person to be asking for information on your daughter, especially when it comes to her qualities.’ 

 

‘Because, you’ll be biased?’ Her Dad nudged him in the ribs with a chuckle. ‘Okay then, just tell me what she’s like at school.’ 

 

‘I’m afraid I can’t, Sir.’ Seungkwan laughed. ‘I don’t go to school with your daughter.’

 

‘Oh, really? What High School do you go to?’

 

‘I don’t go to High School, Sir.’

 

Wonyoung’s Dad furrowed his eyebrows. 

 

‘I’m a third year accounting student at Seoul University, Sir.’ 

 

Seungkwan was used to intimidating glares, but Wonyoung’s Dad was a whole other story. If looks could kill Yena’s brother would be 6 feet under. 

 

‘You mean to tell me that you’re 21?’

 

‘Actually I’m 23, Sir. I took a gap year and I changed majors after my first year.’ 

 

A loud bang was heard through the room as Wonyoung’s Dad hit the wall. 

 

‘You’re 23?!’ He fumed. 

 

‘Y-yes, Sir.’ Seungkwan could only gulp. Everyone in the room couldn’t understand what was going on with Wonyoung’s Dad.

 

‘You slimy dog!’ He pointed a finger at Seungkwan. ‘What business do you think you have with my daughter?!’ 

 

Seungkwan blinked. ‘I-I’m sorry?’ 

 

‘She is 16 years-old! What is wrong with you?’ He turned to Wonyoung, fuming. ‘What is wrong with you, too? Are you that desperate?’

 

‘Wait, Mr Jang. They’re not da—‘ Yena went to say but Wonyoung’s Dad turned his glare to them too.

 

‘And you guys. What friends you are! Letting this e near my daughter!’ 

 

‘Dad!’ Wonyoung finally spoke up. ‘What are you talking about? Seungkwan and I don’t have anything going on! He’s just a helpful Sunbae.’

 

Just then, Heejin, Hyunjin and Eunbi rushed into the room, followed closely by Yujin and Chaeyeon. 

 

Wonyoung caught eyes with Yujin. 

 

She went to run over to her but Wonyoung’s Dad stood in front of her. He wasn’t done yet. He pointed accusingly at the flowers. 

 

‘That’s what all this, then?’ 

 

‘They’re mine!’ 

 

‘And why was he giving them to you?’

 

‘Because I left them in his car?’ Wonyoung said exasperatedly. She tried to move past him to get to Yujin but her Dad wouldn’t let her through. ‘Move out of the way!’ 

 

‘So, if he didn’t give the flowers to you, then who did?!’ 

 

‘Nobody!’ 

 

‘Nobody? How can nobody have given you flowers?!’ 

 

‘Because I bought them myself!’ 

 

‘You bought them? For who?!’ 

 

‘None of your business. Now excuse me.’ Wonyoung lowered her voice and attempted yet again to get past her Dad.

 

‘Wonyoung! Who are they for?’ 

 

‘I said none of your business!’ 

 

‘I think it is my business! Who. Are. They. For.’

 

Wonyoung grabbed at her hair, ready to explode at any moment. She had had enough of her Dad and she just wanted to talk to the girl she liked. 

 

She aggravatedly pushed past him and her finger in the direction of the door.

 

‘They’re for her!’ 

 

All heads turned towards Yujin who was standing at the door with a surprised look on her face. Probably from the attention suddenly all shifting towards her. 

 

Wonyoung’s Dad stayed frozen in place as Wonyoung walked up to Yujin. 

 

Wonyoung could feel with each step that her body was slowly starting to relax again. Yujin had that sort of effect on her. 

 

Her voice softened significantly as she stood in front of Yujin, flowers being offered to her. 

 

‘Hi, Yujin.’ 

 

And when Yujin gave her her bright dimply smile, the one reserved especially for Wonyoung, she felt completely at ease once more, the conversation from before fading into a blur in the back of her mind. 

 

……..

 

After the whole debacle, everyone in the room thought it be best to leave Wonyoung and Yujin alone, though it took some professional reasoning from Chaeyeon for Wonyoung’s father to agree to it. (And why Chaeyeon was even there was confusing to Wonyoung. They weren’t really close, yet Eunbi had found out through Chaeyeon about Wonyoung’s whereabouts. Wonyoung was impressed to say the least, she supposed that as student body president Chaeyeon had to be really good at keeping up with the students. It was like that girl knew about everything going on in the school). 

 

Wonyoung only hoped that her Dad would apologise to Seungkwan while they were out in the hall. Maybe he would calm down when he ate some of the popcorn Yena had taken out from God knows where, but she had been munching on them tensely during the whole screaming match.

 

Yujin had called a nurse to assist Wonyoung in putting the IV back, and she tried to convince the girl to get back into the hospital bed. Wonyoung technically did, but she was using the edge of the bed as a seat, instead of lying down on it.

 

Once the nurse had left, Wonyoung sighed.

 

‘I’m sorry, Yujin.’ 

 

The class president furrowed her eyebrows. 

 

‘What for?’ She sat down next to Wonyoung. 

 

‘Everything.’ Wonyoung said. She squeezed her eyes shut. ‘I’m sorry that you had to see that, I’m sorry for making you wait that long and for not showing up and…’ 

 

‘And?’ 

 

‘... I’m sorry that you found out that I have feelings for you in the hospital for God’s sake and… well, like that. I kinda yelled at you.’ 

 

Yujin thought for a moment, her right leg moving slightly so that it was touching Wonyoung’s left. 

 

‘First of all, you don’t have to be sorry about that. I think that conversation with your Dad, though I admit could have probably gone smoother, was very much needed.’ 

 

‘Second of all, don’t be sorry. You were literally hit by a car! It’d be unreasonable for me to be mad at you.’ 

 

‘Whatever.’ Wonyoung muttered. 

 

‘And… I don’t mind. Really. Technically you didn’t say anything until now. Before, you just said the flowers were for me, but nothing too specific.’ 

 

‘Dammit.’ Wonyoung palmed her forehead. ‘If only you can just forget I said anything.’ 

 

‘I can do that.’ Yujin leaned her head on Wonyoung’s shoulder. ‘You can confess to me how you like it and I’ll just pretend you didn’t say anything.’ 

 

‘Okay.’ Wonyoung giggled and Yujin couldn’t help but melt over the sound. She’d never heard the girl giggle before. ‘It’s a good deal.’ 

 

‘Yup.’ Yujin said. ‘What happens in the hospital, stays in the hospital.’ 

 

Wonyoung nodded happily and placed her left hand over Yujin’s right. 

 

She didn’t know what she did to deserve Ahn Yujin but whatever it was, she’s incredibly thankful that she did it. 

 

She smiled mischievously when she had an idea. 

 

‘What happens in the hospital stays in the hospital, huh?’ Wonyoung smirked. ‘In that case, can you forget one more thing?’ 

 

‘Anything.’ Yujin turned to face Wonyoung. ‘What is it?’ 

 

Wonyoung only smiled at Yujin, bringing her right hand to softly cup Yujin’s jaw. She could feel her heart hammering in her chest because she was nervous at how excited she was. Yujin instantly picked up what Wonyoung was doing and closed her eyes, a closed mouth smile on her lips. 

 

‘Hey, Class President.’ Wonyoung said. She lowered her voice to a whisper. 

 

Wonyoung leaned in closer, her lips just ghosting over Yujin’s.

 

‘I love you.’ 

 

Then she leaned in and connected their lips in the softest kiss they’ve ever had. 

 

Wonyoung’s kissed a few of people before from playing spin the bottle a parties. They were a mixture of boys and girls and Wonyoung observed that girls always had softer lips and were better kissers. 

 

But none of them compared to Yujin.

 

Wonyoung could see a blank canvas being splattered with a cacophony of color, filling the entire space until there was no white left. Even after it was filled, more color was added and there was glitter, there were sparkles. 

 

And there was Yujin. 

 

Wonyoung couldn’t help but smile against Yujin’s lips, not being able to contain the joy in her chest. 

 

They finally pulled away, much to both of their disappointment, but both girls had a sparkle in their eyes as they smiled giddily at each other. 

 

‘Even though that was probably the most amazing moment of my life, we have to forget that happened.’ Wonyoung said.

 

‘Sure.’ Yujin agreed like an obedient puppy. ‘But, why?’ 

 

Wonyoung gestured around the room as if it was obvious. ‘I don’t want our first kiss to be in a hospital room!’ 

 

Yujin shook her hand dismissively. ‘First kisses don’t really matter. You have to look ahead for your next kisses with the person. Those are equally as important.’

 

‘But still,’ Wonyoung pouted, ‘you deserve something cute and special.’ 

 

Yujin bit her lip at how adorable Wonyoung was. She may be the edgy skater girl but she could be the softest person ever. 

 

‘Fine.’ Yujin said. ‘How about this? I’ll forget about it if…’ 

 

Wonyoung gestured for her to continue with her head. ‘...if?’ 

 

‘If,’ Yujin held Wonyoung’s hand between both of hers, ‘you promise to give your Dad a chance.’ 

 

Wonyoung looked towards the direction of the door where she could just see her father’s hair sticking out over the window. 

 

‘Ok.’ Wonyoung leaned in and kissed Yujin’s cheek softly. ‘I promise. For you.’

 

‘No.’ Yujin shook her head. She stood up in front of Wonyoung to sternly point a finger at her. Wonyoung couldn’t help but laugh at how cute Yujin looked. She reminded her of a mad puppy. ‘Do it for you. This is your chance at fixing your family.’ 

 

‘My family?’ Wonyoung smiled and wrapped both her arms around Yujin’s waist, pulling her to stand between Wonyoung’s legs. She leaned her chin just above Yujin’s chest and looked up giddily at the girl. ‘You mean, you?’

 

Yujin shook her head and grabbed the sides of Wonyoung’s face, leaving a soft kiss on her nose. Wonyoung instantly scrunched it up as soon as she felt Yujin’s lips.

 

‘And Heejin unnie, of course.’ Wonyoung said when Yujin pulled back up and placed her hands on Wonyoung’s arms to encourage Wonyoung to keep listing people.

 

‘Who else?’

 

Wonyoung hummed. ‘Hmmm… Eunbi unnie will be mad if I don’t say her too, so I guess she can join. Hyunjin unnie? We definitely want her. Yenyul unnies? Don’t want her but I unfortunately I got her. Chaewon unnie, Sakura unnie, Hyewon unnie, Nako, Minjoo, and Hitomi are good too. And Seungkwan oppa.’ 

 

Yujin smiled satisfactorily. ‘And soon, you can try to add your Dad to the list.’ 

 

Wonyoung glanced towards the door, her same pokerface on but inside her heart was feeling hopeful. 

 

She felt Yujin kiss her cheek. 

 

‘I know you told me to forget this but I just wanted to say it back.’ 

 

Wonyoung looked back up at Yujin.

 

‘I love you, too, Chuppa Chup.’ 

 

Wonyoung pressed a soft kiss against Yujin’s jaw. And another one. And one more. It was crazy just how much Wonyoung wanted to keep on kissing her. Yujin was her shining star and all Wonyoung wanted to do was shower her with as much love and affection as possible. Not only was Wonyoung craving it but nobody deserved it as much as Yujin. 

 

‘Oh!’ Yujin suddenly piped up, switching suddenly from her shy and giddy state. Though her cheeks were still a little red and Wonyoung could feel her heart hammering at her chest. 

 

‘Oh?’ Wonyoung said. 

 

‘What about Chaeyeon unnie?’ Yujin nodded her head in the direction of the door. Wonyoung followed the direction. 

 

‘What about her?’ 

 

‘What is she doing here? Is she your family too?’ 

 

Wonyoung pursed her lips, deep in thought.

 

‘I’m not really that close to President Lee sunbae. Only talked to her like twice because she’s always busy? I’m kinda confused as to why she’s here—‘

 

Suddenly, they were interrupted by Yena, Yuri, and Heejin bursting into the room, followed by a more calm Hyunjin a couple of steps behind Heejin. 

 

‘You guys aren’t going to believe this!’ Yena exclaimed.

 

Wonyoung pursed her lips, a little bit annoyed that their sudden appearance made Yujin jump away from Wonyoung’s hold which in turn made her mad that she had turned into a that kind of girl. She hated clingy couples and yet here was Yujin turning her into a complete clingy mess.

 

Wonyoung was about to (PG ratedly) cuss the intruders out but Heejin’s next words made fall wide open. 

 

‘Eunbi unnie and Chaeyeon sunbae! They’re dating!’ 

 

………

 

Fin.

 

………

 

Author’s Note: SKJDFHSK DID ANYONE SEE THAT COMING??? I TRIED TO DROP THE SMALLEST OF SMALLEST HINTS TRY AND READ BACK AND SEE IF YOU CAN SPOT THEM SKJHKSJFHD 

 

Anyways,,, I hope you enjoyed this! Not gonna lie, chapters 2 and 3 were kinda written without a plan. I originally was going to make the complication that Minjoo is in love with Yujin and Chaewon is in love with Minjoo but tells Minjoo she likes Wonyoung instead which in turn makes the two try and work together to break them apart but like… I don’t want baby 2kim being the bad guys :(((( So instead Wonyoung gets hit by a car!! :D 

 

Might write an epilogue but I’ve got so many other fics in my head sjdjdj but I just want some protective Wonyoung, please? Maybe even jealous Wonyoung?

 

Also if anybody wants me to write about Kwonchaeng’s point of view? Comment down below. 

 

Thank you for reading this and for everyone who took the time to leave a comment! Seeing your comments really brightens my day which is why I try to reply to all of them!