2/3

Color Outside the Lines (BEING TURNED INTO WEBTOON)

‘Really? A throne? And you want me to build a fort? What are you? Four?’ 

 

‘It’s not a fort, it’s a castle.’ Wonyoung said, looking offended. 

 

‘A castle, you say? Apparently you’re a four year old princess, now. Well, whatever you want, your highness.’

 

So far, Yujin has bought everything Wonyoung had wanted from the Convenience store, including a donut, instant ramen, milkis, chips and various sweets and chocolates that Wonyoung was planning on mixing together. Also, the horrible toothpaste icecream.

 

Next, Wonyoung had requested that she stay at Yujin’s house for the night, unless Yujin was willing to build a whole chariot with horses to bring her back to her house. 

 

And now, Wonyoung wanted Yujin to build a fort around Wonyoung’s ‘throne’, which was basically just a chair with a soft blanket over it. Yujin even dug through her closet for a tiara. 

 

‘I don’t remember making you do all this when you were my assistant?’ Yujin groaned as she tried to add fairy lights into the roof of Wonyoung’s ‘castle’, which was basically just the large tent she had set up in the living room. She had to move the couch and table around just to fit it. Her Mom will love the redecorating. 

 

‘Because you’re not creative enough.’ Wonyoung said while eating her icecream. ‘When you’re done can you cook me sunny side up eggs and those sausages I saw in your cupboard earlier?’ 

 

‘Right.’ Yujin said, putting the last of the lights up. Yujin bowed mockingly. ‘Sausage and eggs coming right up for the princess.’ 

 

Wonyoung watched in delight as Yujin walked around the kitchen hesitantly, trying to find all the ingredients. She opened the cupboard and took out a pot, a pan and even a stir fry pan. She even brought out a steamer.

 

‘Quick question. Which one should I use?’ 

 

Wonyoung face palmed. ‘Do you— it’s like you’ve never cooked before.’ 

 

Yujin smiled sheepishly and Wonyoung’s mouth fell open. 

 

‘Are you serious? You can’t cook?’ Wonyoung exclaimed. 

 

She jumped up from her throne and made her way into the kitchen. 

 

‘I’m not eating anything you make.’ Wonyoung said grabbing the pot and the pan from Yujin’s hands. 

 

She placed them over the stove and the heat. 

 

‘Change of plans. I’ll cook and save myself from food poisoning. Just get me the ingredients.’ 

 

The next twenty minutes consisted of Yujin running around the kitchen grabbing whatever ingredients Wonyoung told her to get. It seemed that the eggs Wonyoung had requested was turning into some gourmet omelette. Wonyoung was requesting for all kinds of ingredients. She was even making side dishes. 

 

It was silent for most of the time, the only sound coming from the sizzling pans and from Wonyoung’s humming every now and again. 

 

Even though they weren’t talking, both girls found it quite comforting. One of them had trouble admitting it to themselves while the other was still iffy about the whole thing.

 

Yujin felt like it was incredibly domestic. There was something about Wonyoung in her specs, hoodie and those sweatpants with her hair up in a ponytail that felt incredibly homely to Yujin. 

 

From her spot on the kitchen bench, she leaned back so all her weight was on her elbows and and she silently observed Wonyoung cooking. She couldn’t help but smile softly at the sight.

 

Finally, Wonyoung interrupted the silence. 

 

‘Do you want to try flipping the omelette?’ 

 

Yujin eyed the pan. 

 

‘Quickly, now. Before it burns.’ 

 

‘U-uh. Sure.’ 

 

When Yujin grabbed hold of the pan, she didn’t expect Wonyoung to place her hand on top of Yujin’s hand that was grasping the handle. She felt the sudden need to hyperventilate but instead Yujin just held her breath as Wonyoung shifted her fingers against Yujin’s skin to find a better grip on the pan. 

 

Wonyoung then grabbed Yujin’s other hand, the one with the flipper, and gently guided it so that it would flip the omelette. 

 

‘Voila. Big phat Chef’s Kiss, huh?’ Wonyoung admired their flip.

 

Yujin could only nod tentatively, because Wonyoung’s were arms were still around her and she was trying to focus on the feeling of not combusting. 

 

Wonyoung suddenly took notice of Yujin’s tenseness and jumped away. 

 

‘Sorry.’ Wonyoung cleared . ‘I-I forgot for a second that… well you know.’

 

Yujin recovered quickly from her nervousness and smiled shyly to herself. 

 

‘Careful, Wonyoung. Wouldn’t want people thinking you’re over here taking advantage of my feelings for you.’

 

Wonyoung scoffed, obviously offended.

 

‘Please. You underestimate my flirting skills.’ Wonyoung chuckled as Yujin jumped back onto the bench where she was sitting before. ‘Do you really think I’d do that? You have to give me more credit for my moves. The frying pan move is like, Heejin unnie level. Or your level.’ 

 

Yujin ignored the jab at her flirting skills. There was no point anyways. Wonyoung was sort of right and it would have been a lost argument. 

 

‘The frying pan move is cute, I don’t know what you think flirting is but it doesn’t get better than that.’ 

 

Wonyoung turned off the heat from the stove and moved the pan to a different top. She turned to Yujin and raised an eyebrow at her. 

 

‘Are you sure?’ Wonyoung’s voice was significantly lower than before. 

 

Her voice was usually higher pitched, but right now it was lower and definitely slower. 

 

Yujin had to suppress her gulp when Wonyoung came closer to Yujin. She expected her to stop at a reasonable distance, but instead Wonyoung kept going until she was pressed against the countertop where Yujin was seated. 

 

Wonyoung placed two hands on either side of Yujin and if she were to move them ever so slightly closer together, she would have been brushing against Yujin’s legs. 

 

Yujin felt her heart beating faster, this time not being able to suppress the nervous gulp coming down . 

 

But then, something strange happened.

 

The moment she looked up to lock eyes with Wonyoung, the playful and teasing atmosphere disappeared. The playful glint in Wonyoung’s eyes disappeared and instead they softened dramatically. 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung were stuck there at close proximity, gazing at each other and were unable to move. 

 

Then, Wonyoung’s hand started to slowly come up. Yujin kept her eyes on Wonyoung’s soft gaze as she felt her hand brush ever so slightly up her cheek and up to her ear. 

 

‘Yujin.’ Wonyoung’s voice was soft and sweet. 

 

‘I, uh…’ 

 

Yujin said nothing, only watching Wonyoung with bated breath. 

 

‘I really think this clip is ugly.’ Wonyoung said, pulling her hand away to reveal Yujin’s navy blue clip in between her fingers.

 

For most people the moment would have been gone after Wonyoung said that. But Wonyoung and Yujin weren’t most people. 

 

Instead, Wonyoung’s comment brought a smile to Yujin’s face. It was a different smile. It wasn’t her cheeky smile, or her professional smile or even the bright crescent eyed one. No. It was still bright. But it was softer.

 

Wonyoung shyly returned the smile, still standing in the same spot as before. 

 

‘Can I paint this?’ Wonyoung said, holding up the clip. 

 

‘Whatever you want, Chuppa Chup.’

 

………. 

 

‘Wonyoung, I’m pretty sure you asked if you can paint that one singular clip, not my whole school supplies.’

 

After eating dinner and the rest of the snacks, Wonyoung and Yujin retired to Yujin’s bed room. Yujin went to clean up the fort and throne while she let Wonyoung take a shower and brush her teeth. When Yujin came back, Wonyoung had instantly gravitated to blank front covers of Yujin’s school notebooks, asking if she could paint them. Yujin didn’t mind though, watching the girl made her happy.

 

While the girl was painting, Yujin had changed into her own PJs, and was ready to head to bed. And yes, she took a shower.

 

‘You can keep painting, Wonyoung. I’ll head to bed, okay?’

 

Wonyoung only hummed in response. 

 

Yujin yawned and headed towards her door, mumbling a soft good night towards Wonyoung. 

 

‘Where are you going?’ 

 

Yujin took her hand off the doorknob to see Wonyoung halting her painting to look up innocently at her.

 

‘To sleep?’ 

 

Wonyoung glanced towards Yujin’s bed inquisitively. 

 

‘I’m sleeping on the couch.’ Yujin said. 

 

‘Really?’ Wonyoung asked incredulously. ‘This is your one chance to have a there was only one bed moment with the girl you like and you’re opting to sleep on the couch?’ 

 

‘Hey! Do you really think I’m that kind of person? I have more manners than that.’ Yujin crossed her arms. 

 

‘Whatever.’ 

 

‘Why you so bothered, Wonyoung? Sounds like you want me to stay with you.’ 

 

‘I do.’ 

 

Yujin was not expecting that. 

 

‘Don’t look so shocked. What did you think I was gonna say?’ 

 

‘I don’t know? Something along the lines of why the hell would I want that?’ 

 

Wonyoung smiled. ‘Maybe if this was a month ago. But like aren’t we’re friends now? Or at least, I’m assuming we are.’ 

 

‘R-right! Friends.’ Yujin grinned at the word on the top of her tongue. She said it again as if testing out how it sounds. ‘... friends... I suppose we are.’ 

 

So, that was how Yujin found herself under the covers of her bed, without a pillow by her side. Instead, the pillow was Jang Wonyoung. 

 

The two had their backs to each other and were scrolling through their phones. Switching from scrolling through various feeds and timelines from their various social media accounts. Yujin also made sure to reply to a few emails.

 

Yujin set an alarm for the next morning before placing her phone down and getting into a comfortable position. When she looked, Wonyoung was still on her phone. 

 

‘Good night, Wonyoung.’ 

 

‘You’re sleeping already? It’s only 10:30.’ Wonyoung chuckled. 

 

‘Why? Do you need anything?’ 

 

Wonyoung was silent after that. Yujin waited, seeing if the girl was going to answer but to no avail. 

 

‘Wonyoung?’ Yujin turned to face the girl’s back. ‘Is something wrong?’ 

 

‘Oh no, it’s nothing.’

 

‘Come on, Wonyoung. You’re sleeping over at mine and it’s night time, right now. We’re bound to have some type of deep conversation.’

 

Wonyoung let out a laugh from her nose. ‘It’s not deep, I just have a question.’ 

 

‘Well, fire away.’

 

Wonyoung turned so that she was facing Yujin as well. ‘You said before that you’ve liked me for a long time. How long exactly is that?’ 

 

Yujin’s eyes was only beginning to adjust in the darkness and she took the moment to try and make out Wonyoung’s silhouette. 

 

‘Do you remember the beginning of Freshman year? You spray painted the soccer field the first week into High School.’

 

Wonyoung chuckled. ‘I remember. Nobody found out who it was but 6 months later everybody instantly knew it was me.’

 

‘I knew it was you. I saw you.’ 

 

Yujin could remember the moment like it was yesterday. She remembered the significantly smaller Wonyoung who had hit her growth spurt later than Yujin. 

 

‘Really?’ Wonyoung said. ‘Why didn’t you rat me out, then? They announced it to the whole school and everything.’

 

‘It’s kind of embarrassing.’ Yujin said.

 

‘Tell me!’ 

 

Yujin smiled. Wonyoung had a mad expression on her face but Yujin was unphased.

 

‘Why didn’t you say that it was me?’ Wonyoung tried again.

 

‘Because…’ Yujin said.

 

‘Because?’

 

‘I...

 

‘You…’

 

‘I couldn’t…’

 

‘You couldn’t? Yujin just spit it out, please.’

 

Yujin pursed her lips. 

 

‘Fine.’ Yujin said. ‘I didn’t want to because I thought you were cute. There I said it.’

 

Wonyoung burst out laughing. 

 

‘Don’t you laugh at my patheticness! I was a young girl.’ 

 

‘Yujin, freshman year was like a year ago. It’s not a very long time.’ 

 

‘And? A lot can happen in a year. Look, just hear me out, okay?’ 

 

Wonyoung let out one more chuckle before letting Yujin proceed with her storytelling. 

 

‘When I first saw you spray painting the first thing I thought was that you were a delinquent and I couldn’t wait to report you to the principal. Would have gotten me massive brownie points seeing that I’ve only been there for a week.’ 

 

Wonyoung had to resist the urge to mumble out ‘ kisser’ after hearing what Yujin had just said. 

 

‘But then I saw you concentrating really hard. Your eyebrows were furrowed and you were doing that tongue thing you always do.’ 

 

Wonyoung stuck out her tongue to try and look at it in the dark. ‘What tongue thing?’ 

 

‘The one where you’ll stick it just past the side of your top lip cause you’re focusing on what you’re doing. I could tell you were focused. You kept rubbing out the whole thing with green spray paint and redrawing so many things. You looked happy.’ 

 

‘And then I saw your face when the principal came on stage during assembly, demanding who did the treacherous vandalism.’

 

Wonyoung said nothing but Yujin could hear her breathing getting a little heavier. 

 

‘Wonyoung, you never meant for it to be trouble, didn’t you? You meant it as a welcome gift, right?’

 

Yujin could feel Wonyoung nodding slowly in the dark. ‘Yeah. But it doesn’t matter anymore, that was a long time ago.’ 

 

Yujin’s suspicions were correct. Wonyoung wasn’t a malicious person, nor did she ever want to become a troublemaker. It was just how she was perceived so she had decided to play along with it. She was misunderstood and therefore misguided. 

 

‘Why did you superglue the automatic doors?’ Yujin asked.

 

The superglue. Where this whole assistant thing really kicked off. 

 

‘It was the automatic doors to Professor Yoo’s office. I caught him cornering Maurice in the hallways the day before and she looked scared so I wanted to show him that karma was gonna bite him in the .’ 

 

‘Maurice?’ 

 

‘Ms Seo, the receptionist. I like calling her Maurice.’ 

 

‘Her name is Nakgyung, I’m pretty sure.’ 

 

‘Whatever. It’s Maurice to me.’ 

 

Yujin laughed. Wonyoung was way too cute for her own good. 

 

‘Well, then. I guess that’s all there is to it.’ Yujin clapped her hands. ‘I started liking you first week of freshman year and I’ve liked you ever since especially because I kept catching you working hard on all your paintings. Also it didn’t help that you had the growth spurt and lost the baby fat so you became CUTE cute.’

 

Yujin stopped her ramble, sheepishly scratching the back of her head. 

 

‘This feels weird talking about this to you because I usually only talk about you like this to Minjoo and Nako so I’ll just shut up now.’

 

Wonyoung hummed in amusement and bit her lip to surprise the chuckle threatening to escape her. She had to admit that Yujin was pretty charming in a weird way. 

 

There was silence between them for a bit as thoughts ran through Wonyoung’s mind. Yujin just lay in bed cursing herself for her ramble. Then suddenly Wonyoung sat up. 

 

‘Yujin?’ Wonyoung said, her voice quivering a little bit. 

 

Yujin instantly sat up too. ‘Hey, hey. What’s wrong?’ 

 

Wonyoung scratched her head.

 

‘Nothing. I just…’

 

Then Yujin felt a pair of arms wrap around her shoulders in a tight hug. Yujin returned the hug in a split second, knowing that Wonyoung really needed this. She felt Wonyoung snuggling her face into her neck.

 

‘Thank you.’ Wonyoung said. ‘For being so nice to me.’

 

They sat there hugging for a while, Wonyoung letting a few tears roll down her cheek. When they pulled away, Yujin turned around to grab some tissues from the side of her bed. 

 

‘Here. I always cry at night so I just keep these nearby.’ Yujin joked around to try and liven up the atmosphere a little bit. Though, she assumed that Wonyoung was crying out of happiness. 

 

Wonyoung wiped her eyes. ‘You? Crying? Over what?’ 

 

‘My life isn’t as perfect as it looks, Wonyoung. That’s why I strive for perfection everywhere else.’ Yujin said. When Wonyoung didn’t say anything, she took it as her cue to continue.

 

‘I’m not smart like my siblings, not going into medicine or law. I want to play softball professionally! If I wasn’t class president and doing all these extra curriculars I’d be disowned.’ 

 

Wonyoung scowled. ‘Who cares what your parents think? You’re literally Ahn Prince. Class of 2021 Heartthrob. That’s what I overhear them saying in the halls.’ 

 

‘Wait seriously?’ 

 

‘Ugh, I’m gonna regret telling you this, aren’t I?’

 

‘Ahn Prince.’ Yujin tested out the name as she ran a hand through her hair and Wonyoung felt physical pain from second hand embarrassment even though no one else was in the room.‘Heartthrob of Class of 2021. I like it.’ 

 

‘See? Everyone loves you and I think you’re pretty cool. So your parents. 

 

‘I don’t care if everyone loves me. The only thing I care about is you saying I’m cool.’ Yujin stuck her tongue out at Wonyoung. ‘You said we’re friends, right? I’m assuming that you kinda like hanging out with me, then?’ 

 

‘You just want to hear me say it.’ 

 

‘Yup.’ 

 

Wonyoung gave a sigh of defeat. ‘Yes, I do like hanging out with you, Yujin.’ 

 

Yujin smiled satisfactorily. 

 

‘I feel like you understand me the most. And I don’t want to throw that away just because you’re irritating.’ Wonyoung nudged her side playfully.

 

‘Me? Irritating? I could never.’ Yujin faked offence. ‘And you’re not that hard to understand, people are just dumb.’ 

 

Wonyoung smiled at the comment. ‘I think you’re right. The only other person who understood me like this was my Mom and she was the smartest person I knew.’ 

 

‘Was?’ 

 

Wonyoung’s smile faltered. ‘She died halfway through my middle school year. Car accident.’

 

Yujin felt her heart breaking for the girl. She could see just in this short time of talking about her that Wonyoung truly loved her Mom. She rubbed her hand soothingly on Wonyoung’s knee.

 

‘That’s why I’ve been absent from school. It was her death anniversary last Wednesday… and… my Dad came home.’ 

 

Yujin said nothing, only continuing to rip circles with her thumb. She waited to see if Wonyoung was going to continue. 

 

‘My Mom had me when she was in High School. A year older than us now actually. She was instantly disowned and thank God Eunbi unnie and Heejin unnie’s Mom took us in. They’re not actually my cousins but we like to say we are.’ 

 

‘And what about your Dad? What did he say when he found out?’

 

‘My Dad? He left as soon as she told him the baby was his. He moved states and everything. But after she died was the first time he came back. He was apologising and begging for me to forgive him and he promised that he would be an amazing father and I believed him!’ 

 

Wonyoung laughed humourlessly. ‘I actually believed that piece of . He’s never home. Always away on some business trip and he couldn’t care less about me. The only good thing going for him is his money like, why do you think I haven’t been expelled yet from school?’ 

 

‘You know, last week when he came home he genuinely thought I was 14 years old. And he forgot my last birthday. And he had the audacity to come during Mom’s anniversary? He doesn’t even know. People say family over everything but how can I do that when it doesn’t even exist for me?’ 

 

Yujin couldn’t take it anymore. She pulled Wonyoung in for another hug. She wanted to protect this girl in any way she can.

 

‘I’ll be your family.’ Yujin said, her voice soft. ‘I promise. From now on, I’ll be the first member of your family.’ 

 

‘Yujin…’ Wonyoung went to pull away only for Yujin to pull her back in the hug. 

 

‘You can’t choose those who are blood related to you.’ Yujin said.

 

‘I wish I could though.’

 

Yujin’s voice softened. ‘You can choose your family, Wonyoung and I want you to choose me. Please choose me.’ 

 

The question hung in the air for what seemed like ages. But Yujin refused to let go until Wonyoung had given her an answer.

 

Wonyoung focused on the way Yujin was holding her. It was so firm and comforting and yet Yujin was holding her like she was delicate and precious. She thought about all the kind things Yujin has said, has done for her, the way she would catch Yujin looking at her. The way it was so obvious that Yujin cared dearly about her.

 

How could Wonyoung say no? Why would Wonyoung say no? 

 

There was no other answer, just like Twice have said. 

 

……. 

 

Whispers filled the halls of the auditorium as Wonyoung walked on stage with Student Body President Lee Chaeyeon to present the award for the poster competition they won during the State Student Council Camp. Wonyoung had to stand awkwardly on stage while waiting for Chaeyeon to finish presenting the other awards they received. 

 

If it was any other situation, Wonyoung would expect the whispers to be shock over seeing the Jang Wonyoung presenting an award on behalf of the Student Council. But no, they were shocked over her uniform. 

 

All blazers looked the same, but the one Wonyoung was wearing was different and everybody knew it. The long pocket of numerous sports achievements, service achievements, music achievements and of course Class President written in bright gold writing suggested that the blazer did not in fact belong to Wonyoung.

 

It also didn’t help that the owner of the said blazer was watching her proudly in the front with none other than her sports uniform on. 

 

When Wonyoung and Yujin woke up to get ready for school, Yujin realised that Wonyoung didnt bring her usually. Wonyoung wasn’t too phased, she’s worn free dress on random days many times before because she’d forgotten to put her clothes in the dryer. But then they realised that Wonyoung had to go up and accept an award.

 

No matter how much Wonyoung had insisted that it didn’t matter what she wore, Yujin would not let up. She claimed that it would reflect badly on herself as Wonyoung’s involvement in the council was associated with her. 

 

So now, Wonyoung was walking on stage in front of the whole school, with Yujin’s blazer around her. All blazers looked the same, but everybody knew that that was Ahn Yujin’s blazer. 

 

Wonyoung mentally prepared herself for the coyotes. The coyotes who went by the names: Heejin and Eunbi. Wonyoung wasn’t too worried about Chaewon, Hyunjin, Sakura and Hyewon, those four knew how to keep out of people’s business. It was Heejin and Eunbi that Wonyoung was scared of facing. 

 

She glanced at Heejin, smirking at her in the back next to Hyunjin. Thankfully, Eunbi seemed to have her eyes still on the stage where President Chaeyeon was still presenting. 

 

‘Those guys are never going to let me live this down, aren’t they?’

 

Judging by the enormous amount of teasing that Heejin and Hyunjin gave her at lunch (even Sakura joined in for crying out loud), Wonyoung was completely right.

 

……..


 

Wonyoung strutted into the student council room, Yujin’s blazer hanging over her shoulder. 

 

‘Wonyoung!’ Yena smiled. ‘How it feel to present the award to the school?’ 

 

Wonyoung only shrugged at the comment. 

 

‘Hey, cool girl.’ Yujin imitated Wonyoung’s shrug, crossing her arms over dramatically. 

 

‘Hi, fam.’ Wonyoung teased.

 

Yujin scrunched up her nose. ‘Don’t ever say that again. That sounds so gross.’ 

 

Wonyoung stuck out her tongue at Yujin. ‘I thought you’re my family.’ 

 

‘Then call me sis?’ 

 

‘Oh HELL no.’ 

 

Yuri and Nako exchanged glances. 

 

‘Please tell me I’m not the only one sensing something is different here.’ Nako said. 

 

‘No, you’re right.’ Yuri said. ‘Something’s definitely up.’ 

 

‘Yeah, Yeah. Definitely.’ Yena said weakly, trying to act like she knew what was going on. 

 

‘You don’t think…’ Yuri said. 

 

‘I think it’s possible.’ Nako replied. 

 

Yena blinked, trying to process what they just said. She thought that maybe she out for a second and missed part of Yuri’s sentence. 

 

‘i think we’re gonna lose our money.’ Nako sighed. 

 

‘Definitely.’ Yuri nodded along. 

 

‘Okay, I can’t do this. I’m so lost. I’m just gonna go talk to those two, at least they make sense.’ Yena went to walk over to Wonyoung and Yujin.

 

But Nako and Yuri held Yena by both of her ears, pulling her back down.  

 

‘Yah!’ 

 

‘Like hell you are!’ 

 

‘You sit your down right here and don’t disturb them!’ 

 

‘Ow! You guys are the one disturbing me! Ow, you can let go I’ll stay here.’ 

 

Back with Wonyoung and Yujin, Wonyoung was busy untucking her shirt from the jeans she had changed to prior to visiting the student council room. She also took out her vans from her bag and changed to wear them instead of the formal school shoes. 

 

‘Goodbye Wonyoung with a skirt. It was only a short time but you are dearly loved and will be missed.’ Yujin wiped a fake tear.

 

Wonyoung let out a laugh.

 

‘Are you doing anything tonight?’

 

‘Not really. But why are you asking all of a sudden? What are you planning?’

 

‘Meet me at the skatepark at 11 tonight.’ Wonyoung said, then she left the student council room, leaving Yujin scratching her head confusedly.

 

……

 

It was quarter to eleven and Wonyoung was casually strolling down the sidewalk of a lit up suburb. In her excitement she had taken a wrong turn, as well as another. And another. And many more. But then she remembered that she could just use google maps to guide her. 

 

I’m really using google maps to find the damn skatepark. 

 

She’d never been to this suburb before and if she has, she’s never been there that often. 

 

Her hand squeezed the bouquet of flowers she bought before. Wonyoung would never admit it but she was feeling nervous.

 

She didn’t even know why she was nervous, Yujin obviously liked her back. The class president has always been an open book when it came to her feelings for Wonyoung. 

 

Maybe Wonyoung felt that it was moving a little too fast. She never stopped to actually think about her feelings for Yujin. She didn’t even know when she started liking her too but Wonyoung felt that those details weren’t too important. It just happened. Someone like Yujin made falling for her so easy. Wonyoung didn’t even notice it until she was sitting under the tent watching Yujin struggle to put up fairy lights and her heart couldn’t help but do a thing. 

 

Wonyoung didn’t even notice that everytime Yujin would jump up and jam out to New Face that she couldn’t help how her body felt all the more lighter. She didn’t even notice that whenever Yujin was talking the rest of the world faded into a dull hum or that Wonyoung has been trying to curse a little less because Yujin doesn’t curse. She did notice that she had been saying weird phrases like oh my gadit and cherry pickle! 

 

Damn this girl’s impact on me. 

 

Wonyoung looked down the street, feeling a sense of déjàvu. 

 

‘I must be on the right track.’ She said to herself. 

 

But when she glanced up at the street sign, her heart stopped. 

 

No. 

 

She blinked and shook her head to make sure she wasn’t dreaming. When she looked back up it was still the same street name. 

 

Wonyoung leaned her hand against a lamp post, feeling a little bit dizzy. Her heart was hammering against her chest and her hand holding the flowers dropped limply to her side. 

 

Even though it was night time, she recognised this street perfectly. 

 

She had only seen this street on TV, but it was enough to burn painfully into her memory. She saw the faded skid marks on the road and had to hold back the vomit threatening to come out of .

 

‘Mom…’ Wonyoung choked back a sob. 

 

Wonyoung closed her eyes briefly to stop the tears from spilling. 

 

Through the blurriness of her tears, her eyes landed on the bouquet of flowers that were on the verge of falling out of her hand. She squeezed them tighter. 

 

‘Yujin is waiting for me.’ Wonyoung said. She stood up straighter and wiped away her tears. ‘Yujin is there. She will be my family.’ 

 

Wonyoung stared at the skid marks again and though the weight of sadness was still on her heart, there was a new sense of determination and hope firing in Wonyoung, in the form of Ahn Yujin.

 

She walked towards the skid marks and crouched down near it, running her fingers along the black scuff. 

 

‘I miss you, Mom.’ Wonyoung said. ‘I want you to meet Yujin. You’ll love her.’ 

 

Her phone buzzed and she looked to see that she had gotten a text from her Heejin unnie, saying that everything was ready and that she could see Yujin from their hiding spot. 

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes, imagining Heejin and Hyunjin hiding in a tree with Camo coloured outfits and smears of black paint across their faces. 

 

And then it happened. 

 

It started as a faint light illuminating from behind Wonyoung. A light that got brighter and brighter. 

 

Wonyoung stood up and turned to face the light that was coming closer and closer to her at an alarmingly fast rate. 

 

Then there was a loud honk. 

 

Some tires screeched. 

 

Then silence. 

 

…….

 

‘Look what you’ve done!’ A woman screeched at her husband in the car. 

 

‘I-it’s not my fault!’ The husband said. ‘You were the one who kept pestering me!’ 

 

‘The girl.’ The woman said as she stumbled out of the car. ‘Where is she? God, I hope she’s alright.’ 

 

The couple ran toward the girl laying on the road, a few metres away from the car. The woman crouched down around her instantly, holding her arm. 

 

‘Are you okay? I am so so so sorry we weren’t paying attention and we didn’t see you until too late! Please open you eyes. Please don’t be dead. Please.’

 

The lady looked at her husband who was still sitting in the car.

 

‘Why are you just sitting there? Do something! Call an ambulance, for Christ’s sake we just ran over a girl!’

 

The man jumped as he looked to find his phone. 

 

A groan was heard from the girl in front of the woman and she let out a sigh of relief when she realised that the girl was alive. 

 

‘No no.’ The girl on the floor said. She slowly sat up, rolling her shoulders and cracking her head from side to side. She also wiggled her leg to make sure everything was fine.

 

‘Thank God, you’re alive.’ The lady said. ‘Please. Let us take you to the hospital.’ 

 

‘No!’ Wonyoung had to stop her voice from shaking when she heard the word hospital. ‘I’m 100% fine, just a little shaken up. This is just gonna bruise my . God fuc- I MEAN, cherry pickle, this is gonna bruise like a bit- BEAST, tomorrow. But I’ll be okay, I promise. I’ll just ice it.’ 

 

The lady eyed her suspiciously. ‘Are you sure? I’d feel better if we took you to the hospital.’

 

Wonyoung shook her head, standing up and dusting her pants. She picked up her bouquet of flowers which were thankfully still intact, just a few petals here and there. 

 

‘Trust me. I have a date tonight.’ Wonyoung smiled. ‘Once I’m with her she’ll definitely take care of me.’ 

 

The lady still looked uneasy but listened to Wonyoung’s wishes. ‘Okay. Well, we’re so truly sorry again.’ 

 

‘It’s my fault, too.’ Wonyoung laughed. ‘I’m wearing all black and I was sitting in the middle of the street.’ 

 

‘You sure you’re fine?’ The lady said once she was in the car. 

 

Wonyoung nodded. 

 

‘Okay. Have a good night and have fun with your date!’ The lady said. 

 

Wonyoung waved at her as she drove away, a smile on her face. Once she had disappeared, Wonyoung pulled out her phone and did the first thing most people would do when they were hit by a car. 

 

She opened up twitter to tweet about it. 

 

Wonyoung was smiling to herself as she typed up the words, y’all ain’t gonna BELIEVE what just happened LMAOOOOO yah girl just got PUMMELED by a car HSJSJSJ maybe if I did this. The tweet was paired with a nice fancam of Jeongyeon from Twice. 

 

Wonyoung hovered her finger on the send tweet button, ready to post it. 

 

Then everything went black.

 

…… 

 

‘I can’t believe this girl.’ Hyunjin whispered to Heejin from the tree they were in. As Wonyoung had predicted, the idiots were in full camo with black paint smeared over their faces. Granted, it was Heejin’s idea and even though Hyunjin thought it was stupid, she went along with it anyways because doing things with her girlfriend was always fun no matter how embarrassing it was.

 

Heejin peered at Yujin who was walking around the half pipe aimlessly. 

 

‘It’s Wonyoung.’ Heejin said. ‘She’s always fashionably late. I’m sure she’ll be here.

 

‘I know she’s usually late, but 40 minutes late? Especially to this? She’s not even answering our texts and from the looks of it she’s not answering Yujin’s either.’ 

 

‘Let’s wait a little bit more.’ Heejin said, gazing worriedly at Yujin who was trying not to show that she was disappointed. No doubt trying to stay optimistic and hoping that Wonyoung will run in all sweaty and with a dead phone clutched in her hands. 

 

‘I’ve just got a bad feeling about this.’ Hyunjin said. 

 

Heejin just kissed her girlfriend gingerly on the temple. ‘I’m sure she’s okay, Hyun.’ 

 

…….

 

‘This is not okay, Yena.’ 

 

Yuri wiped the sticky icecream from her forehead, glaring at her girlfriend. 

 

‘One romantic date!’ Yuri said. She pinched Yena by the ear. ‘All I’m asking for is one romantic date where you don’t do any of your damn clownery!’ 

 

Though she was in pain, Yena couldn’t help but smile at her girlfriend. Yuri was so cute when she was mad. So, of course Yena would always do things to get on her nerves. She never went too far though. She wasn’t that stupid. 

 

Yena put one hand over Yuri’s hand that was pinching her ear and she brought the other to Yuri’s waist, pulling her closer. She smiled as Yuri’s (already not strong) pinch grew weaker as Yena smiled at her, their noses almost grazing each other. 

 

‘Or what?’ Yena said. 

 

Yuri only pursed her lips at Yena. 

 

‘All I have to do is kiss you and you’ll forgive me. Bet.’ 

 

Yuri glared at Yena again. ‘No way.’ 

 

‘Yes way. Ready? I’m gonna kiss you right now to prove my point.’ 

 

Yena moved in for a kiss but Yuri quickly put one hand in front of Yena’s lips. She let out a squeal when she felt Yena her hand. 

 

‘You’re nasty.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena puckered her lips like a duck, smacking obnoxiously. ‘Come kiss, Yuwiii~’ 

 

Yuri squealed, not being able to hold in her laughter as she wriggled out of Yena’s grip and took off down the street. Yena just shook her head as she watched her girlfriend very slowly sprint away. 

 

‘She’s either going to get tired very soon or I will catch up to her just by skipping.’ Yena laughed to herself. 

 

She felt the imaginary lightbulbs ding when in fact, Yuri stopped a bit further down the street and knelt down next to a tree. 

 

‘Ha!’ Yena said victoriously. ‘Loser.’ 

 

She jogged over to Yuri and hugged her from behind, kissing her on the cheek. 

 

‘Do you forgive me, ye—‘ 

 

Yena froze upon seeing that Yuri hadn’t stopped in because she was tired. No. Yuri was crouched down next to something. 

 

Or more specifically: someone. 

 

‘Wonyoung?’ Yena nudged at the girl who was laying sprawled out on the grass. 

 

‘Are you blind?’ Yuri exclaimed. ‘She’s clearly passed out!’ 

 

‘What if she’s dead?’ Yena panicked. She shook Wonyoung’s arms. ‘Wonyoung ah! Are you dead?’ 

 

‘Wonyoung ah!’ Yuri tried too. Nothing was working. 

 

Yena even slapped the girl across the face. 

 

‘Yuri! What do we do?’ 

 

Yuri starting poking frantically at Wonyoung, looking for any signs of movement. ‘Why are you asking me? You’re the oldest here!’ 

 

‘That doesn’t mean I know what to do! What about you? You’re just sitting here making noises!’ 

 

‘Because I don’t know what to do either!’ 

 

‘Well, then what now?! She could be dying! Quick check her pulse!’ 

 

‘You do it! I don’t know how to do that!’ 

 

‘Well I don’t either!’ 

 

‘You’re the one who actually attends health class!’

 

‘That doesn’t mean I listen?!’ 

 

‘Yena yah!’

 

‘Yah! Use your formalities!’ 

 

‘Who cares?! Wonyoung is literally dying!’

 

‘Well then do something!’

 

‘God, this is useless I’m calling Seungkwan oppa! He’ll know what to do, right?’ 

 

‘Yes! Call my brother do it!’ 

 

If Wonyoung could have chosen who were to find her when she was passed out, she would have definitely chosen literally ANYONE but those two idiots. At least Yuri was smart enough to know that she had to call someone else who actually had a working brain.

...............

A/N thank you so much for all of your kind comments and for your feedback! It means a lot to me and I try to reply to all of them!! 

 

This fic was meant to be 2 parts but oops… not my fault Annyeongz really make me go through it anyways look forward to part 3!!