1/3

Color Outside the Lines (BEING TURNED INTO WEBTOON)

Wonyoung slumped back into the bench, her arms crossed and a lollipop twirling between her teeth. It was a habit she had picked up from watching her Heejin unnie all the time. She inspected her nails and sighed. In front of her, the same ad had flashed through the billboard one too many times for her liking. But then again, it might be because she has been in this exact office almost every single day and the ad they have chosen happened to be the same. Every. Single. Day. 

 

‘Don’t you get tired of these ads, Maurice?’ Wonyoung asked the receptionist. 

 

The sound of the typing stopped suddenly and Wonyoung smirked a little bit when she could feel the lady behind her breathing a little harder to calm herself down. 

 

‘Miss Jang, you are a student at this High School and as a sign of respect it is expected of you to call me—‘ 

 

‘Mrs Seo.’ Wonyoung finished off for her as if she’s heard this same line before. (And she has. Many many times before). ‘I know that. But surely we’re close enough for first name basis?’ 

 

‘Miss Jang, firstly, my first name is not Maurice. Secondly, this is a school environment and a professional environment.’ The receptionist had to struggle to keep the calm in her voice as she eyed the way Wonyoung jumped up and strolled to a nearby window.

 

‘You and I are practically best friends.’ Wonyoung adjusted the black beanie on her head. ‘I mean, I’m in here like all the time.’ 

 

The receptionist didn’t have enough time to reply as the principal had entered the room. Mrs Seo gave him a quick bow with her head before continuing with the rest of her emails. 

 

‘Took you long enough.’ Wonyoung said to the tired looking man. 

 

‘Miss Jang, you are running on very thin ice, right now. I suggest that you remain silent for these next few minutes.’ The principal said, a stern expression on his face. 

 

Wonyoung pretended to zip shut and saluted her principal. 

 

She followed him into his office, ready to get into her favourite spot on the couch when she realised that there was already somebody there. 

 

‘Take a seat, Miss Jang.’ The principal said, crossing his hands on top of his desk. 

 

Wonyoung eyed the additional person sitting on the couch ‘But—‘

 

‘I said, take a seat.’ 

 

Wonyoung pressed her lips into a thin line and begrudgingly plopped herself down on the chair. She twirled her lollipop between her teeth so that it made a grinding sound. 

 

‘I know that you believe you are used to meeting me on occasions like this, Miss Jang, but I can assure you that today is nothing like our previous discussions and punishments.’ The principal said. 

 

Wonyoung turned her gaze out the window, opting to focus on the bushes outside and how they looked swaying in the fall breeze. 

 

‘I hope you know that what you did yesterday was a terrible offence.’ 

 

‘It’s just superglue.’ 

 

The principal slammed his hand on his desk. Wonyoung didn’t flinch but she could see out of the corner of her eye that the third person in the room jumped slightly at the loud noise. 

 

‘Miss Jang! Your ‘just superglue’ stunt has cost the school $16k in damages! I don’t know what you were trying to achieve by supergluing the automatic doors together but I sure hope it was worth all this.’

 

The bushes outside the window came to a halt. Wonyoung swallowed nervously, eyes not leaving the bushes. 

 

The principal sighed and stood up to close the blinds of the window. Wonyoung turned to fix her gaze on the cabinet on the opposite side of the room, instead. 

 

‘The other staff members and I have discussed this, and given your record, we decided that there is no other option than expulsion.’ 

 

For the first time, Wonyoung’s eyes snapped to the principal. 

 

‘Expulsion?’ 

 

‘Yes, Miss Jang. Expulsion.’ 

 

The sound of Wonyoung’s chair scraped against the floor as she shot up and banged her first on the table. ‘Bull!’

 

The principal spun around to look her straight in the eye and yelled, ‘Would you rather we got the police involved?’ 

 

Wonyoung froze. 

 

‘When the damage elevates to this level then serious measures of punishment has to be taken. This is a criminal offence, Miss Jang, and if not expulsion then we will have to turn this case over to the police. We found the superglue you used and no doubt your fingerprints will be on it. That is enough evidence for the police to go by.’ 

 

Wonyoung sat back in the chair in defeat. She bit at the last remaining bits of her lollipop. ‘Fine. Expulsion, it is. I’ll just grab my skateboard from my locker then I’ll get out of here.’ 

 

‘Not so fast.’ The principal said. 

 

Wonyoung’s eyes followed his movement from the window and back onto his desk. 

 

‘Certain circumstances have arisen, an opportunity if you would like, to cancel your expulsion. Someone has offered to be your saving grace.’ 

 

Wonyoung glared at the other person in the room, remembering that she was there.

 

‘Miss Jang, I assume that you know Miss A—‘ 

 

‘Ahn Yujin. Class president and captain of the softball team.’ Wonyoung finished for him, her glare never leaving Yujin’s. She scoffed at the way the other girl didn’t seem to falter under her gaze. In fact, Yujin just sat with annoyingly perfect posture on the couch, her hands adjusting at her perfect blazer and her perfect dimpled smile was aimed directly at the principal. As Wonyoung slumped even further in her chair she decided that she despised her. 

 

She despised most of the student council, in fact. Always acting like they were high and mighty compared to everyone else. They were only there to look good, they didn’t give a rat’s about the good of their students. They just worried about how their resumes looked. 

 

‘Miss Ahn and the rest of the council have an event in the very near future and they are requesting for your undivided attention and for your unwavering help in preparing for this event. Technically, since only council members can participate in this project we have signed you up as a temporary secretary and personal assistant for the class president, as well as the student body president, Miss Lee.’ 

 

‘Wait, what? You want me to be a damn personal assistant? But, why—‘ 

 

‘Miss Jang, it is either this, expulsion or I call the police.’ The principal hovered his hand over the landline. ‘What is it going to be?’ 

 

Wonyoung turned to glare again at Ahn Yujin. The girl had not strayed from her perfect sitting position and was now aiming her perfect dimpled smile towards her. 

 

Game on, Ahn Yujin. 

 

………….

 

‘Ditching class to skate, Miss Jang?’ 

 

Wonyoung’s hands tightened against her skateboard when she heard that voice. She spun around to find Ahn Yujin standing right behind her, arms crossed and an amused smile on her face. Wonyoung observed how her smile wasn’t quite the bright dimple-smile that Wonyoung has grown to “despise” but it was more centred around her eyes. wasn’t smiling enough for her dimples to show through. 

 

(Why Wonyoung noticed this was unknown to herself.) 

 

‘What about you?’ Wonyoung countered. ‘Ditching class to stalk a cute girl?’ 

 

Wonyoung felt a little bit annoyed when she saw the way Yujin’s amused smile didn’t falter. In fact, it seemed as if her eyes started to sparkle a little more. 

 

Yujin looked around the field. ‘What cute girl?’ 

 

Wonyoung’s poker face turned into a scowl, one that she had learned from her Chaewon unnie. Also from Eunbi whenever she needed Sakura to do something for her. 

 

‘Come with me, I have some people to introduce you to.’ Yujin said, demeanour not faltering at Wonyoung’s scowl. She turned around and walked away, beckoning Wonyoung to come with her hand. 

 

‘Why should I follow her?’ Wonyoung muttered to herself. 

 

As if she had heard her, or at least predicted Wonyoung’s thoughts, Yujin said without looking back, ‘Come on, my assistant! In the council, we tend to like to work at a fast pace.’ 

 

I’ll show her a fast pace. Wonyoung thought, grabbing her skateboard and barrelling right towards Yujin. Being the youngest softball captain the school has ever had, Wonyoung wasn’t too worried as she knew Yujin had impeccable reflexes. Wonyoung had expected her to jump to the side to avoid getting hit. 

 

What she didn’t expect was Yujin turning around at the very last second to flash Wonyoung a smile. When she didn’t move, Wonyoung halted her skateboard with a screech and stepped on the tip to flick it into her hand. 

 

‘Careful. You might fall.’ Was all Yujin said and she flashed her bright smile. 

 

Wonyoung just sighed and tucked her skateboard under her arm, trailing behind Yujin. Wonyoung was taller than all of her friends, so she always found herself slowing down so that they could catch up to her. But Yujin was tall too and  their strides were the same. Wonyoung even felt herself trying to pick up the pace just to keep up with the girl. 

 

She followed Yujin through the school hallway, passing by the class she was meant to be in. She caught eyes with her teacher of the class she was meant to be in, who didn’t seem to be phased when she saw Wonyoung. In fact, she gave Wonyoung and Yujin a polite nod of the head. 

 

Wonyoung and Yujin passed the girls bathroom, almost running into two freshman. Though, seeing the way that the two were giggling and blushing at Yujin, Wonyoung thought that they didn’t mind. 

 

Wonyoung walked a bit faster so that she was standing next to Yujin, blocking her from the girls’ line of sight. Wonyoung smirked when she saw their faces fall and their necks straining to get a look at the softball captain. 

 

They made their way up a few flights of stairs before finally coming to a stop before a room. 

 

Wonyoung peered at the sign on the door. 

 

Student Council Room. 

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes. Not only does she have to hang out with Yujin, now she’s going to have to meet the rest of the prim and proper council s. 

 

When Yujin opened the door, Wonyoung didn’t know what to expect. 

 

But she didn’t expect this. 

 

‘Yena unnie! What the hell?’ Yujin exclaimed from the doorway, one hand covering her eyes the other covering Wonyoung’s. 

 

The said girl jumped away from Yuri and brushed her skirt, her face reddening. 

 

‘Why are you only yelling at me?’ Yena yelled in the same tone. She jabbed a finger in Yuri’s direction. ‘What about her? She was the one kissing me back!’ 

 

‘Because, everything is your fault, Yena.’ A voice said from behind Wonyoung. She turned around to find the owner of the voice but failed to see a person. Wonyoung was spooked. 

 

Am I hearing things? 

 

She felt someone brush past her and that’s when she finally looked down. 

 

That is a very small human being. 

 

‘Nako ssi! Not you, too. What is it with you kids and your manners? You’re always dropping your formalities.’ Yena huffed. 

 

‘It’s only with you.’ Yuri shrugged as she skipped over to Nako and retrieved a drink from Nako’s bag. This resulted in an exasperated BABE from Yena which went ignored by everyone else in the room. 

 

‘Bubble tea run.’ Yujin said, when she saw Wonyoung staring at the bag of drinks inquisitively. ‘We would have made you do it but Mr Principal doesn’t trust you to leave school grounds.’ 

 

‘Oh right,’ Yena said, mood already changing from before. She took a sip from Yuri’s drink who whined in protest. ‘You’re our assistant now. Jang Wonyoung, right?’ 

 

Yujin made her way to Yena and flicked her in the head. ‘Correction. She is my assistant.’ 

 

‘And Chaeyeon unnie’s.’ Nako added. 

 

Wonyoung just crossed her arms, leaning against the door and flicking her skateboard up and down with her foot. She fiddled with her crumpled uniform. Everyone else was in perfect condition, save for Yena and Yuri’s slightly ruffled hair. 

 

Everyone was wearing their blazers perfectly, top two buttons done up and shirt tucked in. Wonyoung on the other hand, was blazerless and had rolled up the sleeves of her uniform shirt. Underneath, she was wearing a black long sleeves and her shirt was only half tucked into her skirt. She was even wearing converse instead of the school sneakers. 

 

Yena eyed Wonyoung up and down, nodding. 

 

‘What are you looking at?’ Wonyoung said. 

 

Yena threw her hands up in the air, eyes widening in shock. ‘N-nothing.’ 

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes slightly. Suddenly, she felt someone staring at the skateboard in her hand. She quickly snatched it away from the person, hugging it closer to her chest. She looked up to see Yujin staring at her inquisitively. 

 

‘Can we just get on with it?.’ Wonyoung said. ‘Just tell me what you need me to do.’

 

‘Who spit in her bean curd?’ Nako murmured to Yuri. 

 

‘Did you just quote Mulan?’ 

 

‘Of course I did. I need to quote something everyone will understand.’ 

 

‘I-‘ 

 

‘Yes, Yena unnie. I knew you weren’t going to understand it.’ 

 

‘Yah! I was gonna say I did.’ 

 

While they were bickering, Yujin had led Wonyoung to the corner of the room, pointing to a spare desk near the window. Wonyoung couldn’t believe her eyes when she looked out the window. Every other window in the room was covered by trees, except for this one. And the view was spectacular.

 

Wonyoung couldn’t believe that this was the same school that she had been going to for years now. The soccer field up close was always quite plain but seeing it from the 8th floor of the building? Wonyoung was shocked that it was the same soccer field. 

 

Was this really the soccer field that she had spray painted in freshman year? 

 

‘Nice, isn’t it?’ Yujin said. 

 

Wonyoung shrugged and sat down on the desk, unwrapping a lollipop from her pocket. 

 

‘I made sure that you had the best view in the room.’ 

 

Wonyoung scoffed. ‘Great. And why is that?’ 

 

A loud thud resounded in the room. Wonyoung even saw Yena jump a little from the front of the room. She stared at the box in front of her, picking at the random notebooks. 

 

‘Because, you’re going to need a nice view for this next task.’ 

 

She placed an empty box on the floor next to Wonyoung and she handed her a pair of scissors. 

 

‘I need you to go through all these books and cut out all of the spare pages. It’s recycled notebooks from past students. All the pages you cut out will be used as scrap paper in the library. You might recognise the pages from maths exams, but I don’t know if you were awake for any of them to remember.’ 

 

Wonyoung huffed and took the scissors from Yujin. ‘Whatever you want, your majesty.’ 

 

Yujin just smiled satisfactorily at the nickname and walked away. 

 

‘Wait,’ Wonyoung called out to her, ‘what are you going to do?’ 

 

‘Me?’ Yujin smiled. ‘Since you’re doing that for me, I finally have some free time in my life. I think I might take a nap. Or I might go to the convenience store and buy a hot dog.’ 

 

………. 

 

Wonyoung skidded her skateboard to a halt. She looked to her left and held out a hand. 

 

‘Heejin unnie. Water.’ 

 

Wonyoung caught the water easily in one hand. She wiped away the sweat from her forehead as she gulped down the water bottle. 

 

‘Geez. Can you believe this girl? She suddenly joined the Prudent Council and now she thinks she can order me around.’ Heejin scoffed to the girl by her side. 

 

‘You’re right, babe. She’s been a personal assistant for what? A week?’ Heejin’s girlfriend, Hyunjin replied. 

 

‘Trust me, unnie, they are definitely not prudes.’ Wonyoung said, a smirk on her face. Then she grimaced when she remembered all the times she’d see Yena and Yuri’s ruffled hair. 

 

‘You only say that cause you have the hots for Ahn Yujin.’ 

 

Wonyoung choked on her water at the words. 

 

‘What happened? Cat got your tongue?’ Hyunjin chuckled. 

 

‘More like, Softball Cap get your tongue?’ Heejin added in one of her lame Dad jokes. 

 

Hyunjin rolled her eyes at Heejin’s attempt at a joke but added nonetheless, ‘She wishes she got Ahn Yujin’s tongue.’ 

 

‘Nasty!’ Wonyoung pretended to gag. ‘Never in a million years.’ 

 

‘Heejin and Hyunjin, stop that. Wonyoung is baby.’ A voice interrupted from the side. 

 

‘Eunbi unnie!’ Wonyoung said. ‘Stop saying I’m a baby! I’m 16 years-old.’ 

 

‘Yeah.’ Heejin agreed. ‘You know, when Hyunjin and I were 16 we were already—‘ 

 

Eunbi grabbed Heejin’s lips to shut her up. ‘Nobody wants to hear it.’ Eunbi scrunched up her face. 

 

Heejin rubbed at when Eunbi let go. She started making faces to mimic Eunbi. 

 

‘Besides, stop acting all mature and . You literally were 16 like last year but go off, I guess.’ 

 

Wonyoung oohed and hi fived Eunbi. 

 

‘Whatever.’ Heejin said. ‘Just cause you’re 19 years-old and still attending High School.’ 

 

Eunbi watched as Heejin angrily stepped on her skateboard and started skating back and forth on the halfpipe. Hyunjin just watched her girlfriend with a soft smile. 

 

‘She’s definitely your sister, alright.’ Wonyoung said, going to unwrap a lollipop. 

 

Eunbi swatted the lollipop away from the youngest‘s hand. ‘Nuh uh. No way. You’ve had like 50 lollipops today.’ 

 

‘You sure you’re not Wonyoung’s sister and Heejin’s cousin? You never acted like this with Heekkie.’ Hyunjin said. 

 

‘Because Wonyoung is baby.’ Eunbi cooed and pinched Wonyoung’s cheeks. ‘My baby.’ 

 

Wonyoung didn’t even bother arguing over the baby comment. 

 

‘So, our aegi, how is the council life treating you?’ Eunbi said. ‘President Chaeyeon giving you a hard time?’ 

 

Wonyoung shrugged. ‘I barely see President Lee. It’s mostly Ahn Yujin that gets me to do stuff. Most of the time it’s just forcing me to go to class.’ 

 

‘And you actually go?’ Eunbi raised an eyebrow. 

 

‘I don’t want to get arrested.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

Eunbi and Hyunjin shot each other a look. 

 

‘Sounds fake, but okay.’ Hyunjin whispered under her breath. 

 

‘What’s Ahn Yujin like?’ Heejin finally stopped skating and joined the conversation. Wonyoung pouted when she saw that Heejin had a lollipop in . 

 

‘She’s so annoying.’ Wonyoung huffed. ‘Thinks she’s all high and mighty and can do whatever she wants. She gets mad whenever I’m late to anything and she’s been forcing me to actually wear the school uniform! Like properly! Annoying.’ 

 

‘I mean she’s the Class President. Technically, she can do whatever she wants.’ Heejin shrugged. 

 

‘Awwww.’ Eunbi cooed. ‘Our baby is mad because she’s not allowed to express her angsty emo teen phase through her clothes.’ 

 

‘Screw y’all.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

Suddenly, her phone buzzed. 

 

Wonyoung couldn’t help the deep scowl when she saw who had texted her. Out of all of the times and out of all of the people, it had to be her.

 

‘No. Freaking. Way.’ 

 

……..

 

When Wonyoung signed up (or more like was forced) to become Yujin’s assistant, she did not expect that she would be doing 1AM yogurt runs for the girl. And yet, here she was, yogurt in hand and skating her way to Ahn Yujin’s house. Yujin had texted her requesting for honey yogurt and Wonyoung begrudgingly had to oblige. 

 

The skater girl stood in front of Yujin’s house, leaning on the pole with her arms crossed and a foot on her skateboard. When the front door opened she tossed the yogurt to the softball player, who caught it with ease. 

 

‘Top of the morning.’ The class president smiled at her. 

 

Wonyoung remained in her position. 

 

‘Come inside, I need to show you something. But leave the skateboard. Mom doesn’t like scuff marks.’

 

Wonyoung sighed and followed Yujin into her house, leaving her skateboard outside as instructed. It was way too late, so Wonyoung thought that being cooperative would allow her to go home earlier.

 

She was only being cooperative because of that sole reason, nothing else. 

 

Yujin led Wonyoung into her room, which was the only bedroom with the lights on. Wonyoung wondered briefly if her parents were okay with Yujin having random visitors this late, but then realised that she didn’t really care. 

 

Wonyoung wasn’t surprised when she walked into Yujin’s room. The walls were decorated with pictures of her and her friends. Sports medals hung from her shelves and when Wonyoung closer she realised there was a whole section dedicated to Twice albums, both of their lightsticks displayed proudly next to them. 

 

‘A Once, I see.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

Yujin fiddled with the light stick, turning it on briefly. ‘And what about it?’ 

 

‘That’s another discussion for another day. Just tell me what you need so we can get this over with.’ 

 

Yujin nodded in agreement. She gestured for Wonyoung to come over to her desk. Despite the amount of paperwork and things she had on her plate, Yujin’s room and desk was still pretty organised. Complete opposite to Wonyoung’s black hole of a bed room. 

 

On the desk was a piece of paper with what looked like a sad excuse of a tiger on it. 

 

‘What’s this?’ 

 

Yujin ran her finger over the paper. ‘Oh this? It’s art. You like?’ 

 

Wonyoung sniggered. ‘Art. Uh huh, sure.’ 

 

She watched as Yujin walked to the other side of the room to retrieve a calendar. As she flipped through the pages Wonyoung could see all of the activities that she had planned, as well as a bright yellow block that had in all caps ‘TWICE CB’ during a particular day. 

 

‘In about two weeks time the Student Council will be going to a day camp for all the student councils around Seoul. Our Student Council will be attending.’ 

 

Wonyoung nodded uninterestedly. ‘Good for you?’ 

 

Yujin shook her head. ‘Jang Wonyoung, you are part of the council, you know? Which means you’re gonna attend too, sis.’ 

 

Wonyoung groaned. ‘Do I have to? What the hell am I supposed to do? Cut up your lunch and feed you?’ 

 

‘No.’ Yujin said, but she scratched her chin as if pondering the thought. ‘But that’s not a bad idea.’ 

 

‘Unbelievable.’ 

 

‘Look, Wonyoung, there’s a competition for who can make the best banner for their school. And every year we never win. That’s where you come in.’ 

 

‘Full offence, but why are you asking me to do this?’ 

 

‘You see, Jang Wonyoung, there’s a reason as to why I wanted to save you from being expelled. I’ve seen your artworks. They’re really good. You’re really talented, you know?’ 

 

‘What art? I only do vandalism.’ Wonyoung made a face at the word vandalism, mimicking the principal and all of the teachers. 

 

‘That mural of Professor Kim as a cow, though mean, says otherwise. Though I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the school gym as the canvas. Also, I don’t think your parents like paying all of that money for damages.

 

‘I wanted Professor Cow to see it. He deserved it. And Dad doesn’t have enough time to even care about what I’m doing.’

 

Yujin pressed into a thin line, wondering to ask Wonyoung about her Dad. It was always something she was curious about. Wonyoung had just given the most information about her family life Yujin had heard. But judging by the way Wonyoung was trying to conceal the pained look in her eyes, Yujin thought that maybe it was better to ask her another day.

 

‘The point is, Jang Wonyoung, that if you do just this one thing, you can say goodbye to being my assistant forever.’

 

Wonyoung’s ears perked up. 

 

She wondered if she heard Yujin right. She thought Yujin was just playing with her but when she looked at the girl’s face she seemed dead serious.

 

She raised an eyebrow. ‘For real?’ 

 

‘For real.’ Yujin stuck out her hand, signaling for Wonyoung to shake it. 

 

Wonyoung stared at the hand inquisitively. 

 

After a few seconds she gave in. 

 

‘Deal.’ 

 

………

 

Wonyoung waited in front of the Dunkin Donuts where Yujin has instructed her to meet at. She checked her watch, shocked that she was in fact 5 minutes early to what Yujin said. 

 

She wasn’t going to lie, Wonyoung was a little bit excited. They were planning to go to the art store to buy whatever supplies Wonyoung deemed fit for the project. 

 

Wonyoung loved the art store. It was her favourite place either than the skatepark. But, Yujin was taking her to one she’d never been to before. She wondered how big it was. 

 

Wonyoung finally saw Yujin turn the corner. The class president was the first to spot Wonyoung, and she waved as soon as she saw her. 

 

It took a second for Wonyoung to come to her senses and wave back. She’d be lying to herself if she were to deny the fact that Yujin looked… good. 

 

This was the first time Wonyoung saw Yujin outside of her school uniform, either than when she saw Yujin the night before in her Pajamas. 

 

Yujin was wearing white baggy sweatpants with two lines streaked on the sides. On top she was wearing a white hoodie underneath her puffer jacket. 

 

But it was the white Tommy Hilfiger cap and the mask over Yujin’s mouth that made Wonyoung falter. She couldn’t deny that Ahn Yujin was pretty attractive. 

 

‘Top of the morning, Chuppa Chup.’ Yujin poked at the lollipop stick in Wonyoung’s mouth. 

 

Wonyoung had already shaken herself out of whatever daze she was in before. 

 

‘Morning.’ 

 

‘You ready to go?’ Yujin said and Wonyoung nodded. 

 

……. 

 

‘Jang Wonyoung, step away from the spray paint.’ 

 

‘What? Why?’ 

 

‘We’re buying art supplies for the project. Nothing else.’ 

 

‘What if I want to use it for the project?’ 

 

‘As much as your spray paint is really nice, this is a formal project, so we should be using more formal medians.’ 

 

‘Fine then. You pay for the things in the cart. I will grab this and I’m going to show you what you’re missing out on.’ 

 

……

 

‘Wonyoung, are we even allowed to be here?’ 

 

Yujin stepped cautiously through the abandoned warehouse, trying not to ruin her white shoes. She grimaced when she heard something crumple under her feet, only to realise it was just trash. 

 

‘Probably not.’ Was all Wonyoung said. 

 

There were piles of wood that were propped up against a wall and Wonyoung pulled at them, all of them falling to the floor with a loud crash. She chuckled as she saw Yujin jump, a shocked expression on her face. 

 

Wonyoung turned back to look at the now exposed wall of the abandoned warehouse. There was something so refreshing, so calming about seeing a blank canvas. In this case it was the wall. Wonyoung loved adding colour into everything. And she was good at it. 

 

‘What are you going to spray paint, Chuppa Chup?’ 

 

Wonyoung shrugged. ‘I don’t know. You tell me.’ 

 

Yujin halted when Wonyoung held out the Can towards her. She eyed the spray can. 

 

‘You want me to paint? You’ve seen my drawings, right? I can’t do art to save my life.’ 

 

‘Just paint something. Anything.’ 

 

Yujin took the can, turning it around slowly to analyse it. She softly shook it, trying to mimic the way she’d see other people do it.  

 

She looked at the wall. 

 

Then she brought the spray can towards it. 

 

And she painted.

 

A dot.

 

‘There.’ Yujin said. A cheeky smile on her face. 

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes and picked up her own spray can. She traced a circle around the dot Yujin had painted. Then she drew some more lines around the circle. 

 

When she stepped back Yujin saw that she had turned the dot into an eye. 

 

Wonyoung passed Yujin a different color. 

 

‘Paint the pupils.’ 

 

Yujin obliged without any complaint, she didn’t see the point in arguing, anyways. 

 

She carefully brought the spray can close to the wall and slowly colored the pupils, careful to not run over the lines. She was only able to draw one small line when Wonyoung stopped her. 

 

‘Not like that.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

‘What do you mean? I literally drew like one line.’ 

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes and placed one hand over Yujin’s hand that was holding the paint. 

 

She started painting the pupil with Yujin’s hand still on the can, but without caring about being neat.

 

‘There.’ Wonyoung said when she had finished. ‘Now, that’s what I’m talking about.’

 

Wonyoung’s front was still pressed against Yujin’s back and the class president had to swallow nervously to soothe her now dry throat. 

 

‘Anyways, we painted an eye, great. Are we done here? This warehouse is kinda cold.’ Yujin stepped away from Wonyoung finally. 

 

‘I want to paint some more.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

‘And what am I supposed to do? Sit and watch you?’ 

 

‘You don’t have to. But good luck finding your way out of here.’ 

 

Yujin huffed. ‘I have to stay here with you, make sure you’re not doing anything too illegal.’ 

 

‘Okay, then.’

 

Yujin watched as Wonyoung began spray painting. It was so relaxing, watching the girl spray paint. It was so graceful, almost like Wonyoung was dancing. 

 

Wonyoung was all over the place, starting at one side then running a line all the way to the other side and drawing something there. It was chaotic to Yujin but she knew that it made so much sense to Wonyoung. 

 

Yujin was broken out of her trance when she felt someone calling her phone. 

 

‘Minjoo unnie.’ Yujin smiled when she picked up the phone. 

 

‘Cheongsojumhaji!’ Yujin heard someone yell in the background. She instantly knew that it was Nako. 

 

‘Shut up, Nako! I’m on the phone.’ Minjoo said, earning a chuckle from Yujin. 

 

‘What’s up, my Minjoo?’ Yujin said. ‘Are you guys bored without me?’ 

 

‘Choke!’ Nako yelled in the background. ‘We don’t want your smelly feet near us.’ 

 

Minjoo and Yujin laughed again because they knew that was Nako language for yes. 

 

‘What time are you finishing up?’ Minjoo asked. 

 

Yujin glanced at Wonyoung who was still painting. From the looks of it, she was probably going to be painting for another hour or so. 

 

‘I’ll let you know.’ Yujin said. ‘Bye bye, my Minguri. And baby Nako.’ 

 

‘She called you a baby.’ Was the last thing Yujin heard before she hung up the phone. 

 

She smiled and pocketed her phone, before returning to her previous position. She leaned against a wooden box and revelled in the sound of Wonyoung’s spray can. 

 

‘So, that’s the famous, Jinjoo I always hear about.’ Wonyoung said, eyes not leaving her painting. 

 

The name Jinjoo made Yujin chuckle softly. 

 

‘She’s kind of out of your league, no offense.’ Wonyoung said.

 

Yujin raised an eyebrow but her smile never left her face. 

 

‘Oh, I know that. Doesn’t matter, though. I don’t like her like that, anyways. I like someone else.’ 

 

‘And are they in your league?’  Wonyoung said. 

 

‘I don’t know, Chuppa Chup. You tell me.’ 

 

Wonyoung shrugged. ‘Well, who is it?’ 

 

Yujin didn’t say anything. Wonyoung halted her painting to turn to look at the girl, only to find that Yujin was walking towards her with a smirk on her face. 

 

Yujin stopped just in front of Wonyoung and Wonyoung wanted to wipe that annoying look on her face. 

 

‘You.’ 

 

‘Very funny.’ 

 

‘I’m serious.’ 

 

‘Sure you are.’ 

 

Yujin shook her head, her smirk turning into her signature smile. ‘Isn’t it obvious?’ 

 

‘I think it’s just obvious that you enjoy making my life a living hell.’ Wonyoung turned around to start painting again but Yujin stepped in front of her, a hand on her arm to stop her from painting. 

 

‘Well, I do enjoy doing that. Because I like you, duh.’ 

 

Yujin took Wonyoung’s silence as a cue to continue. Wonyoung was most likely still thinking it over.  

 

‘Chuppa Chup, why else would I have not wanted you expelled? Why would I text you at night to get me random things when I can do it myself?’

 

‘Cause you’re lazy?’

 

‘No. Cause I like you and I want excuses to see you.’

 

‘Sure, okay. That’s great, Yujin.’ Wonyoung remained unphased. ‘ What do you expect me to say?’ 

 

Yujin shrugged. ‘Are you in my league or not?’ 

 

‘Hell no. I’d never date you.’ 

 

To Wonyoung’s surprise, Yujin’s facial expression didn’t change. 

 

All she did was raise one eyebrow cockily and started walking backwards back to her original spot. 

 

‘We’ll see about that.’ 

 

……….……...

 

The next few weeks went by quickly, with nothing else changing. Yujin would give Wonyoung some mundane tasks here and there but most of the time Wonyoung focused on designing the banner for the Student council. 

 

After Yujin’s confession Wonyoung was thrilled. Only because it meant she had some type of lineage, and could argue with Yujin a little bit more just to play with her. But in the end, she’d always end up agreeing. 

 

And just like that, the day camp came as ended as quickly as it started. Unsurprisingly, Enozi High won first place for the banner, all thanks to Wonyoung. 

 

And true to Yujin’s word, Wonyoung’s ‘contract’ as Yujin’s assistant came to an end. Wonyoung was ecstatic that she never had to see the class president again.

 

At least that’s what she thought.

 

………...

 

Wonyoung sat in her free period, twiddling her fingers. She had to stop herself from automatically going to the Student Council Room and remind herself that she in fact was not part of the council anymore. 

 

Her friend, Chaewon, was growing tired of the constant tapping coming from Wonyoung’s end. 

 

‘Can you cool it? I’m trying to study.’ Chaewon said. 

 

‘You? Studying? I have to laugh.’ Wonyoung said. 

 

Chaewon just shook her head and continued typing away at her laptop. 

 

Wonyoung began doodling on her paper. She looked out the window and saw the softball field. She never was one for sports and school spirit, but she did find it amusing whenever someone got hit by the ball, or was body slammed by someone. 

 

She started to draw the pitch, drawing a girl swinging the bat but missing and getting hit in the face with a ball. She giggled to herself at her imagination.

 

She halted her movements when she drew the number 5 and captain on the back of that person’s jersey. 

 

That does it. 

 

Wonyoung snapped the book closed and packed up her stuff. 

 

‘Going to annoy Yujin?’ Chaewon asked, not taking her eyes off of her laptop. 

 

‘Mind your business, knock off Annabelle.’

 

‘At least I’m not Eunbi’s baby.’ 

 

……..

 

‘Nako yah, where did you get those Choco pies from?’ Yujin brushed a piece of crumb off of the girl’s desk. 

 

‘Hyewon sunbaenim’s been selling them these past few days.’ Nako said, mouth full of the cake. 

 

Yujin strolled over to her special drawer in the back, opening it up. Upon seeing the depleted supplies of her stash, she let out a sigh. Her suspicions were correct. 

 

‘Where are you going?’ 

 

Yujin fixed her blazer, making sure her uniform was perfect. She fixed the clip on her hair. 

 

‘I’m going to have a chat to the culprit.’

 

……

 

Yujin searched through the school, starting in the cafeteria, then the benches outside and even under the bleachers but there was still no luck in finding the person she was looking for. 

 

She was about to give up when something told her to check the bathrooms she was walking past. 

 

She couldn’t help the bright smile on her face when she found none other than Wonyoung inside the bathrooms.

 

‘Hey, Chuppa Chup. I see you’re brightening up school property again.’

 

Wonyoung was making an oil painting on the bathroom wall. It wasn’t anything too bad, it was actually quite beautiful in Yujin’s opinion. It was a simple sunflower on top of a multitude of pretty colors. 

 

‘Aw man.’ Wonyoung said. ‘Thanks, a lot. Now I have to give Heejin unnie a foot massage.’ 

 

Yujin raised an eyebrow.

 

‘We made a bet on how long it’ll take before I get called to the principal’s office again. She said sometime this week but I said next week.’ 

 

‘If you wanted to win that bet then why would you do this in the first place?’ Yujin said, walking towards the painting to inspect it.

 

‘Cause you’re only in trouble if you get caught.’ Wonyoung shrugged. ‘Am I caught?’ 

 

‘Well, I was going to report you to the Principal…’ Yujin mused, her imaginary beard on her chin.

 

‘Come on, Class President, I’ve vandalised before and it’s not even that bad this time!’

 

‘You’ve also trespassed and stolen from the Student Council Room and me, the Class President as you have just reminded us.’ 

 

Wonyoung went silent. 

 

‘Yeah. I know for a fact Hyewon sunbaenim hates lollipops. It’s the one food she hates. So, why would my Chuppa Chups disappear alongside the Choco pies, Chuppa Chup?’ 

 

Wonyoung waved her hand. ‘Whatever, just suspend me, I don’t care.’ 

 

‘Oh no, I have another idea.’ 

 

……..

 

‘Are you crazy? Nope. Absolutely not.’ 

 

‘Nako, you’re not even part of the council, you have no say in this.’ 

 

Nako crossed her arms, raising one eyebrow sassily at the Treasurer.

 

‘Do not disrespect me, Choi Yena. I am an honorary member of this council! Chaeyeon unnie even said so herself.’ 

 

Yena looked toward Yuri, and then to Yujin, who both shrugged. Nako had a point. 

 

After catching Wonyoung painting the bathrooms, Yujin had an idea for a new project. The bathroom walls have always been victim of graffiti, some weird messages, some people’s names inside hearts, some people’s names inside hearts that have been violently scribbled over in vain and a hell of a lot of ‘420 blaze its’. Seeing Wonyoung’s pretty painting over those made Yujin want the same thing for the rest of the bathrooms. 

 

And of course, more excuses to talk to Wonyoung.

 

‘But uh, she’s right, you know?’ Honorary council member #2 Hitomi said. ‘I mean it’s a cute idea and all but Chaeyeon unnie wouldn’t approve of it just because of your little crush on Jang Wonyoung.’ 

 

Minjoo thought for a moment before piping up, ‘but maybe if you found other artists who are willing to participate, Chaeyeon might think about it.’ 

 

‘Right.’ Yujin chuckled. ‘I’m sure there are tons of artists who are dying to decorate all of the school bathrooms.’ 

 

‘Maybe ask Wonyoung to round some people up. I mean, it’s her suspension that’s on the line, right?’ Yuri looked up from whatever weird dance off she and Yena were engaged in. 

 

Yujin nodded in agreement. It also meant that she had another excuse to talk to Wonyoung. 

 

‘You guys are smart. No wonder you’re on the council. I’ll go do that.’ Yujin smiled. 

 

As Yujin exited the room, she buttoned the top two buttons of her blazer and scrolled through her messages with Wonyoung, trying to find the class schedule the girl has sent her. Wonyoung was (supposedly) in english class at that moment. 

 

Back in the Student Council room, Yena stood up in realisation. 

 

‘Wait. Hitomi, did you just say Yujin has a crush on Jang Wonyoung?’ 

 

The whole room went silent. 

 

Everyone in the room exchanged glances with each other, wondering if what they heard was right. 

 

Then a voice broke the silence. 

 

‘Everyday I think to myself, how in the hell does Yena have a girlfriend when she’s this slow and clueless?’ 

 

‘What the— Ya! Yuri, you’re my girlfriend! 

 

……..

 

Yujin sat up a little straighter in front of Student Body President, Lee Chaeyeon. They were friends, of course, Chaeyeon having done numerous homeworks that Yujin just couldn’t wrap her head around. Most of the time it was to do with English class. Yujin wasn’t very good at english but hey, at least she could do gestures like english speakers. 

 

It was during formal meetings, like the present one, where Yujin knew she had to be on her best behaviour. Lee Chaeyeon was the sweetest person in the world but when it came to her duty as Student Body President, it’s like a switch inside of Chaeyeon and she became professional. And professional Lee Chaeyeon was beyond intimidating.

 

‘Well?’ 

 

Yujin gulped, eyes flitting toward the door. 

 

She had told Wonyoung to be at the meeting with a list of interested painters by 8:30am, and yet here they were at 8:37am with no sign of the girl. 

 

‘Yujin, we have a lot of things to cover in the agenda today, and not a lot of time.’ 

 

‘I know, sunbaenim.’ Yujin bowed politely. ‘But we all know she’s not exactly the most organised person here.’ 

 

‘But, she was our assistant for quite some time. She should know just how things work around here.’ 

 

‘I understand.’ Yujin looked down onto her clasped hands. She tried not to look at Yena who was surprising her laughter. 

 

‘If she’s not here in the next 30 seconds then—‘ 

 

‘Ow!’ Somebody hurtled into the room, landing face first on the floor. They were closely followed by someone else landing straight on top of them.

 

Yujin looked to the doorway to find none other than Wonyoung in all of her ruffled uniform glory and the skateboard in her hand, as well as the two girls sprawled out on the floor.

 

‘Yabai!’ The girl on the floor exclaimed and she quickly shot up, brushing at her uniform. 

 

She bowed at more than 90 degrees, the girl next to her slightly bowing too after seeing her. Wonyoung only nodded her head down slightly. 

 

‘Sorry, Sunbaenim.’ The first girl said. 

 

‘Miyawaki Sakura.’ Chaeyeon stood up and bowed to her. She turned to the girl next to her. ‘Kang Hyewon.’ 

 

The two girls bowed back and looked back towards Wonyoung who walked in with another girl that Yujin recognised as Park Jisu, or Lia as she preferred to be called, from the year above her. 

 

‘And Wonyoung. Welcome back.’ Chaeyeon smiled. 

 

The eyebugs that Wonyoung tried to hide with concealer didn’t go unnoticed by Yujin. 

 

‘Sunbaenim. Here are the girls that would like to participate in the project.’ Wonyoung said, more monotonous than usual. ‘I wanted to join, but unfortunately some things have come up and I won’t be able to. I’ll be leaving the project to Lia unnie.’ 

 

‘Thank you, Wonyoung ssi.’ Chaeyeon said. 

 

‘If you would excuse me.’ Wonyoung said. Then she left the room without another word, just bowing hastily.

 

Yujin watched her go, not noticing that she herself had stood up. Suddenly she noticed everyone’s eyes on her. Everyone except for Chaeyeon.

 

‘So Lia ssi, how do you suppose we go through with this?’ Chaeyeon said, eyes on Lia and completely ignoring Yujin. Or so it seemed. 

 

Yujin had to blink a few times before she realised that Chaeyeon was waving her hand in a ‘shooing’ gesture. She could only assume that Chaeyeon was giving her the green light to chase after Wonyoung. 

 

Yujin gave a sigh of relief when she got out the room and realised Wonyoung wasn’t walking fast and hadn’t gotten too far. She softly jogged up to Wonyoung.

 

‘You ran here, didn’t you?’ Yujin smirked when she caught up to Wonyoung.

 

Wonyoung didn’t respond, she only quickened her pace. 

 

‘You can’t hide it, your cheeks are kinda red and I can see the sweat marks on your shirt. Also, your pants are not rolled up. Tsk tsk, how will people be able to identify you as the raging biual that you are?’ 

 

Yujin expected Wonyoung to roll her eyes, she expected a snarky from the girl. However, her response was completely unexpected. 

 

‘I’m not in the mood, Class President Ahn.’

 

Wonyoung’s voice was monotonous again. And what was with the sudden, unsarcastic formalities? It brought Yujin’s playful smirk into a frown. Wonyoung was acting incredibly out of character. 

 

‘Wonyoung—‘ 

 

‘I said I’m not in the mood!’ Wonyoung snapped, shooting a glare at Yujin. 

 

Wonyoung had glared at Yujin many times before. Yujin would find it weird if she didn’t. However, this glare was definitely different. The usual teasing lilt was nowhere to be seen and Yujin felt tense for the first time around Wonyoung. 

 

‘Oh.’ Yujin stopped trying to catch up to Wonyoung. ‘Talk to you later, I guess?’ 

 

She could only watch Wonyoung fleeting figure disappear down the stairs. 

 

Later that day came, and Wonyoung was nowhere to be found. Yujin hovered around the areas where she knew Wonyoung usually hung out, to no avail. 

 

The next day came too, and the next. There was still no sign of Wonyoung. Throughout the weekend Yujin thought that Wonyoung would eventually show up on the Monday of the new week. But she was still wrong. 

 

Eventually, the principal had to call Yujin to the office, asking her of Wonyoung’s whereabouts. 

 

‘I wish I knew, Sir.’ 

 

‘I see. I assumed that you two would have been close or am I mistakened?’ The principal said, sorting through some files on his desk. 

 

Yujin said nothing to the question, not knowing the answer herself. 

 

‘Regardless of whether you are close or not it is still your duty as her Class President to make sure she is attending her classes. Please find a way to inform her that if she doesn’t come to school tomorrow I will be forced to hold her back a year. She’s already missed enough classes as it is.’ 

 

So, that was how Yujin found herself in front of Wonyoung’s house after school that day. 

 

She tentatively rang the doorbell on Wonyoung’s front door, which was strangely out of character for her. Yujin didn’t know why but she was feeling a little nervous.

 

After a few moments, there was still no response so Yujin tried again. Then again. She even resorted to knocking. 

 

Finally, after a few minutes, the door opened to reveal a casual Wonyoung in sweatpants, a hoodie and round specs. 

 

‘Did you forget your damn key? You big—‘ Wonyoung froze when she saw who was in front of the door. ‘Yujin.’ 

 

‘Hi, Wonnie.’ Yujin smiled, though her fingers were shaking a little bit. ‘Long time no see. May I come in?’ 

 

Wonyoung hesitated for a little bit. ‘I don’t know. Yujin, can you just come back another t—‘ 

 

‘Hi, honey! I’m home.’ A voice said behind Yujin said. ‘Is this one of your friends?’ 

 

Yujin turned around to see a handsome man in a business suit. 

 

‘Hi, Dad.’ Wonyoung sighed. ‘Yujin was just leaving. Actually, so was I.’

 

Yujin’s eyes widened ever slightly before bowing politely in front of the man. So this was Wonyoung’s father. The man Wonyoung had only ever mentioned once in the entire month she was by Yujin’s side.

 

‘No, no. Stay, stay!’ Wonyoung’s Dad smiled. ‘You should stay over, I bought ingredients for Jajangmyeon, your favourite, Wonyo, right?’

 

Yujin smiled up at Wonyoung’s Dad, excited at the idea of eating Jajangmyeon, however a hand on her arm startled her. 

 

‘I said, we’re leaving.’ Wonyoung said. She dragged Yujin down the front porch. 

 

‘Bye, Mr Jang!’ Yujin called out as she was being dragged around the corner. 

 

The two kept walking in silence, with Wonyoung’s hand still wrapped around Yujin’s wrist. Eventually they came to a basketball court. There were a few people playing, as it was only 6 in the evening. 

 

Wonyoung seemed to let out of a sigh of relief once they reached the basketball courts. 

 

Yujin opened to ask Wonyoung about what had just happened but Wonyoung spoke before Yujin got the chance. 

 

‘You’re here to make me go back to school, aren’t you, Class President?’ Wonyoung said, no doubt diverting the topic from what Yujin really wanted to ask. 

 

‘Why does it always have to do with school? Can’t I just miss the girl I have a crush on? I meant, you’ve been absent for about a week now.’ Yujin teased, her signature smile on. 

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes and Yujin’s heart grew happy seeing that Wonyoung was somewhat back to normal. Not the weird Wonyoung she encountered last week. 

 

‘You still on about that?’

 

‘Jang Wonyoung, I’ve liked you for a very long time now. A couple weeks aren’t going to change much.’ 

 

‘Whatever.’

 

‘But, while I’m here…’ Yujin smiled cheekily and Wonyoung had to physically hold her head to stop herself from rolling her eyes again. ‘...a little birdie told me that if you don’t come to school tomorrow, Mr Principal is going to hold you back another year.’

 

‘Let me guess’ Wonyoung tapped her fingers together, ‘the little birdie was Mr Principal himself.’ 

 

‘You’re very good at this game, Jang Wonyoung.’

 

Wonyoung stepped on her skateboard and started doing some flips in the spot. 

 

‘So, you going to come tomorrow?’ Yujin grimaced a little everytime Wonyoung would slip and miss the board. 

 

‘Depends.’ Wonyoung said. ‘Give me something in return.’ 

 

‘Being held back another year doesn’t phase you?’ 

 

Wonyoung shrugged. ‘I need a more fun incentive.’ 

 

‘Like what?’ 

 

Wonyoung stopped her flipping for a second, a cheeky grin on her face. 

 

‘Payback.’ Wonyoung said. Yujin would be lying if she said she wasn’t worried by the look on Wonyoung’s face.

 

‘P-payback?’ Yujin gulped. 

 

Wonyoung stepped closer to Yujin, her eyes staring into the Class President’s.

 

‘Be my assistant for the night.’