I don't like the rain

jenlisa short fics

It was a nice Thursday afternoon, the birds were happily chirping, the breeze wasn't too cold or too hot, just the perfect amount of warmth and coolness, and the weather was bright and sunny. 

Lisa sat on top of a hill facing the Lorenzo field, her back against the old oak tree, her backpack was resting beside her while her hand was sketching up the beautiful scenery in front of her.   On top of the hill, or as students claimed it to be the "Notting Hill" because why the hell not, right? The beautiful ocean could be spotted; it was almost sunset so Lisa was keen on trying to capture just the right colors of it, she'd been sketching for almost three days now, the 1st day she had focused on the sky, the clouds, the shape they'd form, and the birds, some flew in groups forming a triangle while a bird or two flew side by side; the 2nd day she sketched the ocean, carefully drawing the way the waves...well...waved? or moved, on that day a small ship was sailing so Lisa had added that too. 

Today is the 3rd day, the day where she'd introduce colors to her drawing. So she waited for the sunset, carefully laying out different pastel colors, and when it had arrived, Lisa quickly splashed colors across her work, sometimes blending in two colors, even three when she thinks she could be a bit adventurous, the palm of her hand and the tips of her fingers were smudged in color, the bag of cotton ignored. Lisa liked the colors of the sunset today, it was pink today, with different hues of violet, a strand of orange and what little yellow too; some colors changed as it kisses the sea, a little green here and the rest like midnight blue.

Lisa looked back at the sun that was setting, she really loves the view up here, and she really had to pat herself on the back every now and then for choosing Ad Majorem University, not only is it her dream school, but she had the chance of seeing beautiful moments like this. Lisa would even jokingly tell her mother that 10% of the reason she chose AMU because of the ocean that lives across from campus, her mother of course just laughed at her but did warn her that that shouldn't be the reason, so Lisa decided not to tell her mom that the remaining 90% reason of why she chose AMU was because blue's her favorite color.

Lisa leaned back and held her art work up, she smiled in satisfaction and proceeded to fix her things, carefully putting her sketchbook aside, and placing the pastels back in her "color bag" as Jennie liked to call it.

Jennie. Jennie Kim. Where the hell is that girl anyway?

Just as Lisa was about to call her, she noticed a short girl stomping her way up Notting Hill; wearing her favorite black Galaxy Wars shirt, faded jeans and white chucks, her hair was in a loose ponytail today, a few strands strayed away from the scrunchy, she was clutching onto the straps of her black drawstring bag, her face forming this sort of permanent scowl whenever she's in the presence of other people; brows furrowed, lips pressed into a thin line, chin held high, and to top it all off, she had her airpods plugged in, probably a Meghan Trainor tune playing. Because face it, this small Korean who stomped her way through campus like the bad that she is, is nothing but a softie.

"You've successfully killed every single bug that's living amongst the grass" Lisa said dramatically as she ran her hands against the grass, even matching it with a sigh, because she's extra.

"Ah but I still see you breathing though" Jennie said as she dropped her bag on the ground and picked up Lisa's sketchpad, going through it like she painted the Starry Night and was now deemed An Artist. Yes, both with capital A's.

"Do I really look like a bug to you?" Lisa asked, feigning hurt

"in the beginning I instilled in my heart that you actually resemble a peaceful and beautiful doe" Jennie said, Lisa actually was swooned at those words

"But then you made me watch 'A Bug's Life's so my perspective changed" Jennie said

Lisa punched Jennie's arm which only made the smaller girl laugh at her.

Jennie Kim. Resident "bad girl", only problem is that Lisa made that up, that title doesn't exist for the life of her, and Jennie was never known as that. Jennie Kim has been in Lisa's life for roughly 5 years, all throughout high school up until now. They had met during the Freshie's Orientation, they bumped into each other and had decided that "yes, this human shall be my friend", after a year they had soon established the word "best" before the word "friend". She honestly wondered how and why the universe decided the two of them be best friends.

"It's like cotton candy" Jennie pointed out, Lisa nodded as she took a look back at the view in front of her

"You've done well, my child" Jennie said as she gave Lisa her sketchpad and scooted closer to sit next to the taller one

"How was your day?" Lisa asked

"Are you my therapist?" Jennie asked, Lisa once again punched the girl playfully

"I am" Lisa said

Jennie chuckled and nodded, because yes, Lisa is her therapist. The taller one knew Jennie from inside out, intestines and all.

Okay gross.

"It was a 'meh'" Jennie said which made Lisa laugh hard

"That's not how you say it!" Lisa exclaimed, still clutching at her stomach

"Tell that to Harry who couldn't, for the love of God, say Diagon Alley" Jennie retorted, only making Lisa laugh more

"Okay, okay, sorry" Lisa said 

"Anyway, as I was saying before I was rudely insulted" Jennie eyed her best friend "It was a 'meh' day. I had an hour of listening to this guy in front talk about the Shakespeare"

By now Lisa knew Jennie meant "professor" when talking about "this guy in front".

"Then came another hour of writing, Lisa, writing. I had to literally write 1,000 words about the short film we watched. I wrote 1,000 words with a pen and paper, Lalisa. A. Pen. And. Paper." Jennie said

"Jennie, you always write with a pen and paper" Lisa said

"Voluntarily, Lisa. I voluntarily write with a pen and paper. But this guy in front actually made us write. Who is he anyway?!" Jennie said

"He's the professor, Jennie. He grades you" Lisa explained

"I grade myself" Jennie snorted

Lisa laughed at her again. Now she knew why the universe decided on them, because Lisa knows life would surely be boring without Jennie and her dramatic escapades in the world of "Creative and Dramatic Writing".

"Okay so then what happened?" Lisa asked

"An angel decided to drop herself in front of me. Like, she fell on her because Kim Jisoo decided it was funny to trip her" Jennie said

"Oh dear Lord, why does Jisoo always torture Chaeyoung?" Lisa groaned

"She's evil personified" Jennie stated

"Don't you just mean she's the devil incarnate?" Lisa smirked

Jennie's eyes widened as she let out this dramatic gasp, making Lisa mentally note to remind Jennie she could do well in the Acting work. Yes, a capital A on that too.

"Lisa, that's mean" Jennie said

Lisa shoved Jennie a bit too hard, almost knocking Jennie to the ground, Lisa was quick to grab Jennie's waist and pull her against her, eventually wrapping her arms around the smaller girl.

"You're really annoying" Lisa said with a pout

"That's what she said" Jennie said

"Nini, that's not how you say it" Lisa giggled as she tightened her embrace

"Lisa, affection exhausts me" Jennie said

Drama. Jennie should've taken up Drama.
 
"You should be used to this already" Lisa muttered against Jennie's shoulder, making the smaller girl squirm

"Lisa, my gay heart cannot handle such advances" Jennie commented, making Lisa free her so she could once again laugh at Jennie


Yes, Jennie's gay, but not entirely, she says she's still attracted to men so that makes her biual, and God does Lisa remember how Jennie came out to her in junior year. There she was on her balcony sipping on some apple juice as she was rehearsing her report on the June Rebellion in 1832, when suddenly Jennie comes barging in her room, heavily panting and sweating profusely.


"Uh, hi?" Lisa had said

"I had an epiphany" Jennie stated through ragged breaths

"Yeah?"

"I-I like girls"

It was probably the hardest thing anyone of the female gender to say, and Lisa saw the fear in Jennie's eyes that day. She wasn't joking around or sarcastically saying stuff, she was actually really scared, but she said it so straight to the point that after that happened Lisa had to look up Drama Schools for Jennie. Nevertheless, it ended with Lisa hugging the life out of Jennie, breaking that 20 second affection rule, and it was the first time Jennie had cried so hard.

"You know what that means?" Jennie voice muffled against Lisa's neck

"What?" Lisa asked

"You're gonna have to watch every gay Netflix show with me now" Jennie said, she was still sobbing too by the way

And so that day ended up with them watching some Adam Sandler movie though, only because it surprisingly always made Jennie laugh.

...

"Alright, alright. Enough of affection. So back to the topic, that's just how your day went? Ordinary college classes?" Lisa said

"Well I don't see how classes should be special anyway so yes, that basically it. Only because I do not count P.E as a college class. That's like free period of running around" Jennie said

"Nini, the volleyball varsity team isn't P.E" Lisa said with a grin

"I know. Why did I sign up for it again?" Jennie asked

"Because you said you were feeling it? So are you feeling it now, Mr. Krabs?" Lisa teased

"Oh I'm feeling it. And I'll be feeling it tomorrow because that's when training starts, so I expect you with a cup of coffee and my flip-flops, okay?" Jennie said, because Lisa has really always been her chaperone during training since high school, the girl practically lives and breathes in volleyball by now, unfortunately she can't play that well so she was well off as Jennie's chaperone

"How about an energy drink? I don't want you having a heart attack during training" Lisa frowned

"If it gets me out of training then I don't see a reason to not have it" Jennie bribed on

"Nini, you'd die" Lisa deadpanned

"Darn it, you're right" Jennie said as if she just realized that

Lisa shook her head and rested her head against Jennie's shoulder, her sketchpad rested on her lap, and Jennie resorting to silence. It was almost 6 and the skyline was turning a darker shade of purple now, she glances up at Jennie only to find the girl filled with color, the colors of the sky somehow reflected against her skin, colors just dancing around her smooth skin, to complete it all, a small smile was plastered on her face.

Lisa reached up and tucked a few of those loose strands behind her ear, and she saw a faint color of pink rise up against Jennie's cheek. She had rid of her airpods but Lisa could still make out the faint tune of "I fall in love too easily" playing. It's moments like this that really made Lisa love life, just sitting on top of a hill staring at the sunset with your best friend.

"You know, I miss the rain. We haven't had rain in months now, I miss painting the rain" Lisa said

"I'm gonna pretend you didn't say 'rain' three times in one sentence" Jennie said, Lisa flicked her elbow which caused Jennie to giggle

"I don't really like the rain" Jennie stated

"Are you kidding me? You love the rain! We used to play in the rain all the time back in high school" Lisa exclaimed

Jennie huffed.

"There was halmeoni that I saw back in Jeju, she lived in this really narrow quarters that isn't even as big as my bathroom, it was filled with stacks of paper and cardboard, a mat served as her bed and she only had a few appliances. I talked to her a few times whenever Dad would bring me to his office, we would pass by her place all the time so I conversed with her." Jennie looked down at Lisa and saw her still listening

"She told me her children has their own lives now and she doesn't like to burden them anymore so she goes off to sell papers and junk, she's lucky enough to get paid 10 dollars a day, she could buy rice and some vegetables for her meals. She's such a happy halmeoni, if you ask me. All smiles and kind gestures" Jennie smiled as well

"But she told me she fears the rain, because then her house would get flooded again, meaning her daily income would get soaked. Then she'd wait for a sunny day so she could dry them off and sell them. Sometimes she goes at least two days without eating because of the rain... that's why I don't like the rain" Jennie said

Lisa was quiet for a while, letting Jennie's words sink in. She looked up at her again, only to see her wearing a sad smile her eyes glistening as they rays of the disappearing sun dancing against those feline eyes. Jennie's sarcastic, she might give out tough love most of the time but like Lisa said, Jennie's nothing but a soft-hearted person, she's also one of the smartest and best writers she know, yes J.K Rowling can it.

Times like these make Lisa wonder how luck she is to have met someone like Jennie; behind that sarcastic little rascal was this big ball of sunshine that could spit out words to strike your heart. She could tell you the most annoying things ever, like how your breath smells like onion rings, or how you look like a clown just barfed on you, but the next second she's telling you to buy food for that homeless guy she saw on the street, or telling you to come help tutor some middle schoolers on the weekend.

"I don't like the rain" Jennie repeated

Lisa brought her hand up and cupped the girl's cheek, slowly drawing her down until their lips touch, softly, gently moving. Lisa could feel her heart almost bursting at the amount of love she has for her best friend, her girlfriend, and everything that comes with her.

"Then I wish for good weather everyday" Lisa said with a smile, lips still against Jennie's lips, her eyes returning to the stunning view ahead, and though she didn't see it but she knew Jennie was smiling down at her.


For every sunny day. It's the perfect name for her artwork today.