Wonyoung's Days

Daydreams

Wonyoung’s Days

Day 1

Wonyoung held a hand to as she walked back to the classroom. She can’t believe she called that second-year girl, Unnie, of all things. She had just sort of blurted it out in the heat of the moment.

Wonyoung had ducked into the library as soon as the lunch bell sounded. It was only lunch time, but she’d already had enough of answering questions. She knew what coming into this year would be like, but to actually experience it on the first day was still a bit overwhelming.

It was then that she ran into Sakura. The girl didn’t seem to recognize her as the girl who had given a speech during orientation. Maybe she skipped it? Wonyoung thought. Sakura also didn’t ask her about her name.

Well there were a lot of people named Jang Wonyoung. It might have been big news that the heir and daughter of the school’s founder was going to go to the school this year, but maybe the second-year students didn’t care about it as much? It was a refreshing experience after she spent the entire morning fielding questions from her peers.

Or what she would have liked to believe were her peers. In truth, many of the other first-years saw her as beyond them. They all referred to her referentially and hesitated in using casual speech when talking to her. She tried to say that they could speak to her more informally, but it didn’t seem to work.

She was proud of her name and her family, but sometimes she just wanted to be known as Wonyoung instead of Jang Wonyoung. To say that no one in her entire life outside of her family had ever treated her casually would not be an exaggeration. So, it had completely blindsided her when Sakura did just that. Wonyoung instinctively responded in kind and ended up calling the girl, Unnie.

It had somewhat fulfilled a long-standing secret dream of hers. She had many big dreams of course with the background and pedigree that she had. But she also had a few small ones. The most unattainable of which was that she wanted to spend her life with someone who saw her for herself. She saw a small glimpse of what it would be like when Sakura talked with her just now. What she would give to see more of it.

Day 11

Wonyoung let go Sakura, wondering what had gotten into her. The urge to embrace the older girl had been overpowering. “Sorry.”

“Shh, don’t be,” Sakura cooed. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m feeling a lot better,” Wonyoung said while nodding her head slowly. She felt a small pang of guilt as she looked at Sakura. “I’m really not being bullied, okay?”

“Okay,” Sakura said, but Wonyoung could see the girl remained skeptical.

“I was really just feeling the pressure to live up to my family’s expectations,” Wonyoung repeated what she had told the girl earlier. She was hoping this would prompt Sakura to ask about her family. While she wasn’t deliberately hiding her identity, she felt it was leading the girl to some misunderstandings. And possibly being nicer to her because of those misunderstandings.

“To be honest, if you were my kid, I would probably have some unreasonable expectations too,” Sakura muttered. “I’d always be wondering what you can’t do. You look like God’s gift to humankind.”

Wonyoung blushed. The girl was always over the top with her praising. She’d been praised before, but she always wondered if any of it were sincere, or if they were a by-product of her of being a Jang. While she was disappointed her comment did not prompt Sakura to ask about her family, she was secretly glad about it. It meant the girl would continue seeing her as she was. “What about Unnie’s family? Do they expect a lot out of you?”

“Hmm, I wonder. I think it’s more like they put up with whatever I want to do. I used to have some pretty crazy ideas about what I wanted to do, and they grudgingly let me try and do them.”

Sakura’s answer was so disarmingly personal, that Wonyoung was again left feeling warm and tingly as she looked at the older girl. To talk with a peer about their worries was what normal people could experience every day. It was one of her little inconsequential dreams to experience as well. “Unnie, I have to get going to class, but can we talk again?”

“Of course,” Sakura said with a smile that intensified the warm feelings that Wonyoung had.

Day 25

Wonyoung smiled as she cleaned some of the cream off of Sakura’s lips. She just couldn’t resist the éclair’s cream off of her fingers. “Is this what a kiss tastes like?” She laughed at Sakura’s expression. “You’re so easy to tease, Unnie.”

“You shouldn’t tease your unnie so much,” Sakura said with a sigh.

Wonyoung beamed a smile at the older girl. She’d honestly never felt as happy as she did right then at that moment. She’d never even dreamed a date like this could happen. This was the first time that she’d ever gone out with one her friends. She even enjoyed Sakura’s gentle scolding of her teasing. The girl was also the first to scold her. She knew that she would remember all of these precious ‘firsts’ for the rest of her life. “Do you think we’ll be able to do this again, Unnie?”

“Why wouldn’t we?” Sakura asked with a genuinely puzzled look.

Because I still haven’t told you everything about me. Wonyoung’s smile almost faltered as negative thoughts crept up on her unexpectedly. “It’s nothing. Yeah, we’ll do this again, sometime, right Unnie?”

“Of course,” Sakura said confidently.

Wonyoung felt the negative thoughts dissipate as soon as they formed at Sakura’s assertion. She could trust in this girl, couldn’t she? She would definitely still be her friend even after she found out. Wonyoung resolved to let Sakura know who she really was sooner than later.

Day 60

“Thanks for helping me with my posters,” Wonyoung said as Sakura worked beside her. “But it’s too bad Kim-san isn’t here at the library today.”

Sakura ignored her.

“Unnie, it’s getting harder to tease you about Kim-san. You two must be growing closer to each other.” Wonyoung tried again and was rewarded with Sakura’s cheeks turning a bright pink.

“We’ll never get this done at this rate,” Sakura said, obviously trying to change the conversation’s topic.

“Fine. Do you really think my message is good?” Wonyoung asked again.

“Yeah. I think your message is so you. It’s clear that you want students to enjoy their school life more. I really like your thoughts on school and life balance.” No matter how many times she asked or how many doubts filled her, Sakura never wavered in her confidence of her.

“This school means a lot to me. It means a lot me that the students that come here really care about their life here.” Wonyoung looked at Sakura timidly. She’d once again tried to hint at her special status in the school. As she got to know Sakura more and they became closer as a result, she began to feel guiltier by the day. She wanted to scream at the girl and let the girl know that she was the heir of the school’s founder. But she didn’t.

“It means a lot to me too. I know how important clubs are for making students feel like they belong. I really think giving clubs more power and funding will resonate with the voters.”

Wonyoung sighed. The girl just wouldn’t take the bait. The bodyguards that were with them during their date, the hints she dropped about her having a special relationship with the school, or the fact that she seemed to be some chaebol heir were never questioned by the older girl. She was just Wonyoung-chan to the other girl. How she wished and dreamt that she could always be Wonyoung-chan. Every doubt in her mind screamed at her saying that Sakura would leave her the moment she found out. And so she just kept quiet.

Day 73

“What’s the matter? I heard from my classmates that you were seen walking up and down the hall of the second-year students a lot today,” Sakura asked as she found Wonyoung hiding in the library again.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to be a bother. I just wanted to see you again,” Wonyoung said contritely. She still couldn’t believe everything had worked out the day before. “I kept pinching myself wondering if I dreamt everything yesterday.”

“Ah,” Sakura laughed. “Yes, you really did become the school council president yesterday.”

Wonyoung looked at the older girl in disbelief. The girl’s density was on another level. She was of course thinking of how Sakura had finally known who Wonyoung was and that they’d remained friends despite the girl being kept in the dark for all those days.

She shouldn’t have been surprised, however. The girl never did get it even after all those hints she’d dropped about her identity. “Right,” Wonyoung said simply. Sakura’s denseness was part of her charm.

“So, what did you do on your first day as school council president?” Sakura asked as she moved to sit down next to Wonyoung.

“Well, I went to the student council room to check everything out…” Wonyoung felt relief as she relayed all of her first day presidential duties. Nothing changed. Sakura was still Sakura.

Day 208

Wonyoung watched as Sakura in her male host cosplay uniform walked back to pick up her order. She could feel her hands still warm from when the other girl had held it for what seemed like ridiculous amount of time. Did she do that with every guest?

At first, she was just curious about what Sakura’s class was doing. Also, she never really got a chance to experience a cultural festival as a student before. She’d always had some official duty as the heir before. So, she’d come Sakura’s class in a perfect disguise to observe.

And what she observed as not good. Not in the slightest. What was with all the hand holding and talking so close to each other? Wonyoung fumed and decided that she was going to go and talk to the public morals committee about such public displays of affection. And if the school didn’t have one, she would look at getting one created!

“And here you are,” Sakura said as she brought back her order.

“Strawberry eclairs?” Wonyoung asked suspiciously. It was the same thing that they’d had when they had their first date together. There was no way that Sakura had seen through her disguise. Did Sakura have strawberry eclairs with just anybody?

“I saw your eyes lingering on it when I handed you the menu,” Sakura said smoothly. Too smoothly in Wonyoung’s opinion. “Now, shall we continue the art lesson?”

Wonyoung felt her heart beat fast again as the other girl again sat close to her on the same side of the table. She’d never seen this side of her unnie before and she wasn’t sure that she liked it. She wasn’t entirely sure that she disliked it either, however. She’d never felt so conflicted before. It was all an act of course. Sakura was just playing a role in the café. Wonyoung knew that.

Day 242

“Is there something on my face?” Sakura asked when she caught Wonyoung staring.

Wonyoung blushed. “Uh, no. I was just thinking.” With the holidays approaching, the student council became busier organizing various events. Lunch in the student council room was really the only place they could spend their time together.

“Is it something I could help with?” Sakura asked as she looked at Wonyoung.

“I don’t think so,” Wonyoung answered. She watched as Sakura nodded and went back to eating.

You’re staring again. Wonyoung scolded herself but continued to look at the older girl. Lately, whenever they got together, she found herself lost in thought while she looked at the girl. She felt melancholy well up within her as she thought about things like their . Sakura was a year older and the next year would be the last year that they spend together as schoolmates.

She’d told the girl that she wouldn’t let things like graduation stop them from continuing to be friends. But she had said that during the summer, and now it was already nearly Christmas. The end of the school year would be in four months and then there would be just one more year left. Why did time have to move so quickly?

Wonyoung shook her head to clear the negative thoughts. She was a naturally optimistic person and truly believed that they would be able to make it work even if they ended up going to different universities and leading different lives. It was Sakura after all that made her first small dream come true.

She smiled to herself as she allowed herself to think about her little dreams. She’d locked them up away in her brain so long ago that she wondered if they still mattered to her. The powerful feelings she got when they each slowly became true told her that they did in fact matter quite a lot.

To spend her life with someone. What did that mean exactly? She was finding her vague dreams becoming defined the more time she spent with Sakura. She knew it meant more than just the two of them remaining on friendly terms.

When there was a rumor about Sakura being a playgirl and that Wonyoung was one of her targets, she’d been shocked. Did they really look like a couple to other people? Even though she knew that the rumor had hurt Sakura’s reputation, she felt slightly intrigued by the idea. Later, when the cultural festival started and she heard that Sakura’s class was doing a host café, she felt what could only be described as jealousy. It was another ‘first’ that Sakura had given her, and it was not a pleasant one.

Wonyoung put down her bento box and chopsticks and turned her chair to face the other girl. “Um, Unnie, maybe there is something that you could help me understand better.”

Sakura smiled and looked at Wonyoung attentively.

Wonyoung could see herself reflected in Sakura’s eyes. It was Wonyoung that Sakura saw, she was sure of it. She smiled back at the older girl. She already knew the answer to the question she was going to ask.

Day 2434

“I can take care of myself,” Wonyoung said as she watched Sakura fuss around her apartment.

Sakura looked pointedly at the sink that was filled with dishes. “Oh, really?”

“I was going to get to that,” Wonyoung said as she hastily went to the sink and started filling it with soapy water.

Sakura sighed and went around the room, picking up loose clothing and other items off the floor. “Didn’t you convince your parents that you could live alone? You even got me to go and back you up.”

Wonyoung turned off the tap to let the dirty dishes soak. She playfully grabbed a handful of suds and went over to the grumpy older girl. “Stop being a mom!”

Sakura couldn’t hold her frown for long as she turned to see Wonyoung laughing as she blew soap bubbles in her direction. “Sorry, I know I shouldn’t tell you what to do like this. You’re already an adult.”

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Wonyoung said hastily as she looked at the contrite older girl. “I love it when Unnie worries about me. But this is supposed to be a fun housewarming party.”

“Housewarming? Is that what this is? Where is everyone else? I didn’t bring you anything. You just asked me to come over,” Sakura said with a slightly panicked voice.

Wonyoung suddenly felt shy as butterflies filled her stomach. She carefully prepared her next words, but her nervousness blew all of what she was going to say out of her head. “Um, you brought yourself. You being here is enough of a gift. And actually, there’s a reason I only invited you before anyone else. I was hoping to have another housewarming party later where we would both be the hosts.”

Sakura blinked as she looked at Wonyoung.

“Before you say no, I just want you to think it over. Your apartment is way too small for you to live in and do your YouTube channel in. My apartment is way too big for just me by myself. We could look out for each other. You’re good at cleaning and cooking. I can make sure you remember to eat and let you know when you’re playing too much. It’s safer to live another person.” Wonyoung squeezed her eyes closed and gasped as the last sentence left . She found herself breathing hard as she tried to regain her breath from her rapid fire arguments. It seems like an eternity as she waited for Sakura to respond.

“Just so we’re clear. There’s no such thing as too much gaming.”

Wonyoung opened her eyes and looked at the older girl who smiled gently at her. She returned a hesitant smile that grew wider and wider as the implications of what the girl said to her sunk in. “Unnie!” she exclaimed and pulled the other girl in for their biggest deepest hug yet. Dreams do come true.

Sakura: …

Eunbi: You can let go Wonyoung. I think she can’t breathe.

Wonyoung: It was the best one right, Unnie?

Sakura: *Gasp* Yeah, it was good.

Yujin: Unnie, you whispered to me and told me mine was the best earlier.

Minju: What? No, she said mine was.

Sakura: Ah, they’re all very good. I’m sure WIZ*ONEs playing the game will enjoy each of the endings.

Chaeyeon: *Rolls eyes* Smooth.

Author’s Note:

Wonkkura :P

It’s hard to think of Sakura without Wonyoung or vice versa with them finishing second and first respectively. Watching the group grow and move away from their initial ranks made me happy. Seeing Sakura being proud of their baby center and Wonyoung getting babied by her Kkura-unnie always fills me with joy.

Sorry, this one took a little long. I was preparing the ‘last’ chapter at the same time. That should tie up the rest of this series.