Day 189

Daydreams

Day 189

Sakura sighed as she walked beside Nako.

“You seem to be in a depressing mood this morning,” Nako commented as she looked over at Sakura. “You should be happier. Today’s sports day, you know.”

“I just thought things would have died down by now,” Sakura said as she heard the whispers of the girls walking near them. She could hear her name being mentioned in some of the whispered conversations. She didn’t look, but she knew if she did, she would see girls secretly looking over at her and Nako.

“Once you’re noticed, you can’t really go back to the way things were before,” Nako said, shrugging.

Sakura knew Nako spoke from personal experience as the president of the hottest club at the school. “I thought they were all caught up in the mystery of Yujin’s new boyfriend.”

“That did last for awhile. Maybe a couple of weeks? Regardless of whether you like it or not, your name is kind of tied to all the popular first-year students, so even if there aren’t any rumors of you and Hitomi dating anymore, people are still pretty curious about you and them.”

“Speaking of popular first-years. It doesn’t help that we’re seen walking together a lot,” Sakura said. This time she did try to casually look around her and could see quite a few girls looking directly at Nako.

Nako looked around her and waved at the girls that she saw looking at her. The girls giggled and waved back. Sakura could only hope that she had an ounce of Nako’s bravery when it came to approaching other girls. “It’s only bad because you always look like you’re hiding something. Try to relax a little more. Most people know we’re childhood friends.”

Sakura sighed and tried to do as Nako told. However, it was quite difficult. It didn’t help that Sakura had been noticing that her cute childhood friend seemed to be doing the impossible and becoming even cuter day by day. “Being the light music club president really becomes you.”

“Where did that come from?” Nako asked, blushing as her cheeks became slightly pink. “You always just blurt out the most embarrassing things sometimes.”

“I guess I sometimes have a problem with mixing my inside voice with my outside voice, but I really mean it. You were always cute before, but now that you’re doing the things you like most almost every day. You could only be described as radiant. I think that’s why people are noticing you a lot nowadays.”

Nako rolled her eyes. “If they’re noticing me, it’s because of my role as the president. I look the same as I always have. I guess, me and Yujin being on friendly terms helps too. When we were not so friendly with each other, I think people worried about picking sides.”

“I’m glad you two are getting along. I count on the both of you a lot, you know.” With help from the two girls, Sakura was learning a lot about social media. “My ReVeluv account has like four thousand followers now.”

“Good for you,” Nako mumbled.

Sakura took out her phone to take a quick glance at her news feed which was becoming an increasingly common habit of hers. People seemed to really appreciate how she ‘spazzed’ over Irene every day. “How did you know so much about this stuff?”

“I used to be a big account before I closed it,” Nako said.

“Really? When was that?” Sakura asked when her friend didn’t elaborate. Nako seemed to be reluctant to talk about her past as a rabid fan.

“Just before high school,” Nako said, again not really elaborating more.

Sakura blinked and realized what it meant. Now that Sakura was spending more time on social media, she knew how much of a time sink it could be. “You gave up the account so that you could study and enter our school.”

“The entrance exams were really hard,” Nako said, shrugging as if it were no big deal.

Sakura knew that her friend had tried very hard to enter their school, but she hadn’t really thought about what the girl had given up in order to do so. She thought of all the fun activities with friends the girl might have had to skip as well, and she felt a sudden feeling of pain in her chest. Wordlessly, she reached and gave a pat on the girl’s head. She rarely did such a thing with Nako since the girl seemed to always take it as teasing about her short stature.

Surprisingly, Nako didn’t flinch away and allowed Sakura to pat her. “Don’t have any weird thoughts about it, okay? I just needed to give up a few things for a few months to study. You should be careful too you know. I know the university you’re trying for is pretty hard to get into, even if you’re a genius.”

“Time management is one of my strong skills,” Sakura gloated, proud of her ability to study, game and do all of the activities that she was interested in.

“Isn’t you’re so called time management ability simply just sleeping less and less every day?” Nako asked.

“Sleep is important, but lots of things are more important,” Sakura said with all seriousness. “And you can make up for it on the weekend or holiday.”

“What do you think?” Sakura said as she twirled around so that Minju could get the full effect.

“It looks really cute,” Minju giggled and clapped, showing her appreciation for Sakura’s efforts.

“It’s not too weird is it?” Sakura asked as she tugged again at her two pony tails. This was the most drastic change she’d done with her hair at school.

“Relax. I think people will find you extra cute today,” Minju said as she reached up to move Sakura’s hands away from her work.

Sakura brought the mirror up so that she could look at it again. With Minju’s help, she could hardly recognize herself anymore. Even she couldn’t see the gawky looking plain girl looking back at her in the mirror. In her place was a stylish girl looking quite fetching her sports jersey. “You’re like a magician.”

“You were always pretty, Sakura,” Minju said with a smile. “I think you hold yourself differently now. You’re a lot more confident. You used to look down all the time and avoid eye contact. Confidence is an attractive trait to a lot of people.”

“The same could be said about you,” Sakura replied, returning the compliment. The girl had already been one of the prettiest girls that Sakura had ever laid eyes upon when they first met last year. While Minju had also gotten better at applying makeup, it was her change in attitude that had made her beauty stand out even more. Gone was the hunched over walk and the downcast eyes. The wane smile she displayed when she was teased had also disappeared.

“Can you believe that we would be here today of all days and happy?” Minju asked as Sakura sat back down beside her.

“It is a little unbelievable. We were picked last the year before for sports day activities. But now both of us have teams and aren’t depressed.”

“Excuse me, I was picked last. You were picked second last,” Minju said with a pout.

“Sorry, you’re right,” Sakura laughed. “It feels good to be able to laugh about it now. You laughed then too, but I think you were pretending that you weren’t hurt.”

“How did you know?” Minju asked with a surprised voice.

How could I not know? I watched you every day, Sakura thought to herself as she looked at the girl, but she didn’t still have the courage to say it. “I’ve been picked the very last before,” she said instead.

Minju nodded. “I secretly trained at home after that day. I tried to work out a little bit whenever I got the chance. It was hard and I gave up a lot.”

“But you still kept trying, right?” Sakura asked, already knowing the answer. The girl had a tenacity to her that Sakura admired to this day.

“Yeah, I guess I never gave up for long. I don’t mind being teased, but I hated people actually believing that I was weak. Every time I thought of that, I would get right back to pushing myself.”

Sakura was awed by the fierce proud look on Minju’s face. It was one that she rarely ever saw. Just when she thought she imagined it, it was gone and the gentle smiling Minju was back again.

“Oh, hi. Did you volunteer as well, Senpai?” Hitomi was in the middle of putting chalk on the track when Sakura came up to her.

“Yeah, I’m participating in the relay race for my class, so I figured I could get some extra practice in if I volunteered setting up the track.” She breathed in deeply as she looked around her. Being here at the track this early reminded her of when she was a track team member.

“You’re running? I’ll definitely be there to watch it if I can. When do you race?” Hitomi asked excitedly.

Sakura blushed slightly at the enthusiasm her former track kohai displayed. “The second-years are due to race near the end of the day. I’ll help set up here and then probably go cheer on the rest of my class in their events.”

“I should be free around that time. I’m running too, but it’ll be just after lunch.”

“I’ll come watch you as well then. I haven’t seen you race in an actual event in a couple of years. I can’t wait to…,” Sakura stopped in the middle of her speech as Hitomi dropped the chalk line marker and looked at her with a stunned look.

“You’re going to watch me run? Ah, I wasn’t feeling any pressure before, but now… ah, what should I do?”

“You don’t want me to watch you run?” Sakura asked, feeling perplexed as the girl started fretting. “I see you run all the time during practice and in the mornings.”

“That’s different!” Hitomi said adamantly. “I have to get this done so that I can practice.”

Sakura didn’t really see the difference, but she became amused as she watched the younger girl pick the machine back up so that she could finish marking the track lines. She jogged after the girl to the next location where there were some pilons in a wheelbarrow. “Let me help.”

Hitomi nodded at Sakura. “Space those pilons along the track and the starting and finish lines.”

Sakura followed closely after Hitomi and placed pilons down as she was directed. “This brings back memories.”

“You always did like setting up the track,” Hitomi said with a smile, slowing down her pace somewhat so that Sakura could keep up.

“Yeah, I loved all the little things that happened before the race. Whether we were practicing for the race or setting up the track or simply waiting for it to start, it all had meaning and was just as important as the race itself to me.”

“Why is that?” Hitomi asked. “I like practice, but setting up and waiting too?”

“It all builds up a certain level of tension in me. Everything leads up to the race which itself lasts only mere moments. The journey to get to that point is half the fun.”

“That’s probably why whenever we raced in trials, you were always weirdly excited compared to everyone else. Everyone else would be nervous about making a spot on the team, but you’d have this gleam in your eye and only seemed care about racing itself,” Hitomi mimicked Sakura’s wide-eyed look of excitement while clenching her hands together and shaking them wildly.

Sakura laughed. “I wasn’t that bad. I was nervous too, but I was more excited to run finally.”

Hitomi smiled. “We get to run in a competition on the same day. I never thought that day would happen. I can’t wait!”

“You did great,” Sakura complimented Yujin as she neared the broadcasting booth.

“Senpai! Did you hear it? Ah, now I feel so embarrassed,” Yujin said as she held her hands up to her face as if trying to hide.

Sakura rolled her eyes. As if this cheeky girl could get embarrassed that easily. She had just spoken to a crowd of over a thousand comprised of students, teachers and parents. “Right, right.”

“You’re not just saying I did a good job because I’m your kohai, right?” Yujin asked in a needy voice.

Sakura sighed and went up closer to the booth. She put a hand on the girl’s head and her hair lovingly. “Our Yujin was amazing like usual.”

This time the girl really did seem to be embarrassed as her cheeks bloomed into a rosy color. “Senpai, we’re, uh, not alone,” Yujin whispered as she indicated with a shake of her head at other girls beside her in the booth.

Sakura blushed deeply as well as soon as she noticed. The other girls, bless their souls, seemed to pretend that they didn’t see or hear anything. She pulled her hands back from Yujin’s hair and hoped it didn’t look too abrupt. “Uh, so, aren’t you participating today? I didn’t know you were going to be here.”

“I’m just covering for someone while they prepare for their event. I have some of my own events I have to do later in the day,” Yujin said with a more business-like demeanor as she sat up straighter and tried to not smile. Sakura knew the girl was doing this for the benefit of the other girls in the booth.

Sakura appreciated Yujin’s efforts, but it was probably too late. There would probably be some more rumors popping up about what a player she was. “Right, I think you said you were doing basketball later with Nako. I think our class is also in the gym at that time, so I can watch you guys play as well.”

“Yeah, she’s playing point guard while I’m playing center. I still think I could have made a better point guard though or shooting guard even.”

Sakura nodded in agreement as she knew the girl had as much a complex about her height as Nako did. “I’m sure you would do fine in any position. It’s Nako, I’m more worried about. Can she actually play?”

“Nako is actually pretty gifted at sports. She can pick up the concepts of anything in a flash. I thought you of all people would know that,” Yujin said.

“I’ve never actually played sports with her or anything. We used to go to the playground together, when we were really young, but I think she let me win in almost everything we did.”

“Hmm, so you don’t know everything about each other. You’ll see how good each of us are at the same time,” Yujin said with a beaming smile.

Sakura didn’t quite understand why Yujin was happy about that fact. The two girls, although they now seemed to get along with each other, still seemed to be oddly competitive with each other.

“We seem to be doing well,” Sakura said to Chaeyeon beside her.

“You only know that because of the score,” Chaeyeon teased.

“Yeah,” Sakura admitted. She couldn’t tell if their class was playing well or lucky.

“For your information, we’re playing very well. You didn’t have to join me here, you know. You could have watched some of our other events until the relay race begins.”

“Well, I wanted to watch Nako and Yujin’s basketball game too.” Sakura also just really wanted to spend her free time with her best friend, but she couldn’t admit that.

“Oh, are they playing on the other court? Oh, I see your kohai. Wow, she really dwarfs over all the other first-years. Where’s Nako, though?”

“I’m going to tell her you said that. Let’s see if she still likes you after that,” Sakura said as she watched Chaeyeon comically swivel her head as if trying to find the girl.

“Oh, do I detect jealousy in your voice?” Chaeyeon asked.

Sakura didn’t feel like answering Chaeyeon and just looked over at the other court where the two girls played. Her best friend had easily become fast friends with her childhood friend and kohai immediately. The three of them got along incredibly well together during their summer barbeque event. So well, that Sakura had wondered if she had imagined that Yujin and Nako disliked each other back then.

“Hey, I can’t help it if I’m just so darn likable,” Chaeyeon said while pouting at Sakura.

Sakura sighed. Her friend was right of course. “I’m happy that they like you. I just wish that they would act like that around me. They’re getting along better these days, I think. But whenever I go to the music club or whenever Nako comes to the art room, I still feel like there’s tension between them. But I never see it whenever they’re around you.”

“Wait for it…” Chaeyeon drawled out while looking at Sakura.

“What do you mean?” Sakura asked in a confused voice.

“Keep going with that thought. They’re nice to each other with me but they’re not nice with each other when they’re around you because…”

“Because of me?” Sakura asked incredulously.

“Ding ding ding, we have a winner,” Chaeyeon cheered with a laugh. She then put on her serious face as she looked at Sakura. “I haven’t been around them as much as you have, but even I can see that you’re the reason they don’t get along that well.”

“But why?” Sakura asked aloud.

“You’d have to ask them yourself. If I had to guess, I’d guess that they see the other as a threat to their position in your life. They’re both height sensitive, socially adept, younger sister types with killer dimples.”

“Okay, Freud. I think that sounds like a stretch.” Sakura waved off her friend’s analysis, though it did make sense in a way. She just couldn’t believe that she was someone worthy enough to be fought over by such cute youngsters like Nako and Yujin.

“Let I said, it’s just a guess. I worry about the same thing too,” Chaeyeon said quietly.

“What? What are you talking about?” Sakura asked as she looked at Chaeyeon who was looking down.

“I was remembering how it was earlier in the year. You had such trouble talking with anyone in the class other than me. I felt like I was important to you. But recently, I’ve seen you opening up with Yena, Chaewon, and Hyewon as well. I’m happy that you’re making more friends and smiling more. You’re changing so fast that I wonder if you might not ever need me again.”

“Okay, you got me. I lied, you big doofus. I didn’t come here only because I wanted to watch our team play or Nako and Yujin play. The main reason I came here was because you said you were coming here to watch our class play basketball. I don’t even know anything about basketball other than the ball is supposed to go into that hoop.”

Chaeyeon looked up Sakura with a shy smile. Sakura felt dread as that shy smile enlarged into a full-blown goofy grin. “I-I got you to admit it. Ha!”

Sakura fully expected Chaeyeon to lord this admission over her, but the other girl just continued grinning from ear to ear.

“Good work, Kkura,” Yena said after Sakura finished her warm-up laps. She held several towels in her hand.

“Thanks,” Sakura said as she took one of the towels from Yena.

“The other two just started. Your form is looking really good,” Yena complimented.

It was odd hearing compliments stream from Yena, but Sakura knew it was due to how amped up the girl was over the sports day festival. The girl’s schedule had been booked solid as she tried to go to each and every one of their class’s events. “Did you just finish your warm-up?”

“Yeah, I’m ready for the practice run when the girls get back here. We’re totally in the thick of things right now. I think our class is going to medal if we do well here.”

“If we do place, it’ll be because you had a big hand in it,” Sakura said honestly. Yena had been their class’s primary cheerleader. She made everyone in the class feel like they were important, and Sakura knew that made everyone want to try harder. It certainly made her want to try harder. She found that she didn’t like seeing the normally bubbly Yena upset, and knew the class probably felt the same way.

“You actually looked normal when you ran this time?” Yena said as she moved to stand beside Sakura. The two of them watched Chaewon and Chaeyeon finish their warm-ups from the sidelines.

“Well, I was just warming up. I can’t really control my expression when I’m trying hard, you know,” Sakura said defensively, knowing there was no guarantee that she wouldn’t look funny when the actual race began.

“You know some of the girl’s think that’s your charm point,” Yena said conversationally.

“What? You’ve got to be kidding. Who thinks that?” Sakura asked with an eyebrow raised. Even she thought that those people must have had questionable taste.

“It’s true. You know, lately, I hear a lot of people talk about you. Before, you were just kind of there in the class, but people rarely say anything about you unless they needed help with some homework or something.”

“Are the second-years also saying that I’m a player now?” Sakura asked worriedly. She thought that anyone in her school year would know better.

“Kind of? But not really. After the juniors started talking about you, your name kind of became a little famous in the school. Even after those rumors died down, interest in you seemed to linger though. People notice how you are friends with not only me, but Chaeyeon, the class president and lead dancer of the cheer dance club, and the two Madonnas of the class.”

“Well, then, it’s because you guys are popular then,” Sakura said, feeling slightly relieved.

“Maybe at first. But like I said, there are some people who seem to be thinking you have your own charming qualities. The other day, when we were in gym and deciding what teams each person was going to take part in, didn’t you notice that you got quite a few votes for running?’’

“I figured it was only because people might have found out I was in the track club or something,” Sakura said as she recalled the moment that Yena mentioned. Truthfully, even though she had been in the track club and ran almost everyday with Hitomi, Sakura still wasn’t the among the fastest in the class. Those titles belonged to Chaeyeon and Yena.

“People see how you and Chaewon hang out a lot in gym. When you guys raced each other that one time, they loved how both of you made weird faces.”

“Isn’t that just bullying?” Sakura asked, still unconvinced that she was being seen in the same light as her crush, Chaewon. Although she had voted for Chaewon to run because she knew the girl would try her best. She also voted along with most of the classes due to the girl’s funny and cute expressions when she ran, so if it was bullying, Sakura was guilty of it too.

Yena rolled her eyes, but before she could say anything again, they heard a loud cry of pain coming from the track. “Oh, it’s Chaewon!”

“What do you mean you’ll run?” Sakura asked. Chaeyeon and Yena had rushed to the Chaewon’s side after the girl had fallen and helped her towards the nurse’s tent. Immediately after, Hyewon had appeared out of nowhere like some super hero and offered to take the girl’s place.

“I’ll run for Chaewon. You guys need a fourth, right?” Hyewon repeated as she bent down and started stretching.

“Yeah, we do, but…,” Sakura started to say before realizing she didn’t really have any reason to decline the girl. “It’s just that I thought you weren’t interested.”

“I’m not, really. I don’t really like running, but I really hated seeing Chaewon go down like that. I know she’d been trying really hard for this. I’m the only one in the class that’s not really participating in anything other than as a bench player, so I’m probably the best choice.”

“You do have a point.” Although the class had wanted Hyewon for nearly every sports event, the girl had really only decided to join teams where she could ride the bench and sit out for most of the day like basketball or baseball. “Here, let me help.”

Hyewon nodded and let Sakura move behind her to help her stretch. “Thank you.”

“We should be saying that. The girls will be happy you volunteered.”

“It was the least I could do,” Hyewon said shrugging as she easily bent forward far further than Sakura could imagine the girl was capable of.

It never ceased to amaze Sakura when Hyewon displayed any sort of physical prowess. The image of a human sloth was forever imprinted in Sakura’s mind whenever she looked at Hyewon.  “You’re so limber.”

No sooner did Sakura say those word did she suddenly feel Hyewon’s back stiffen up. “Uh, thanks.”

“Hmm, you might be tensing up due to nerves. Try and relax,” Sakura said as she moved her fingers along Hyewon’s back, feeling sudden tension in the girl’s muscles.

“That’s easier said than done,” Hyewon murmured. “I think that’s enough stretching,”

Sakura moved away from Hyewon as the girl hastily straightened up. It seemed that even though she was only stretching, it was enough of an exertion to make Hyewon breathe faster and turn slightly red in the face. Is she going to be okay when we run?

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be okay,” Hyewon said, noticing Sakura’s worried face.

“Thank you again for doing this,” Sakura said as the two of them waited for Chaeyeon and Yena to come back. If they got back early enough, they still might have time to do one practice run.

“I’m just glad I can help you this time,” Hyewon said, beside Sakura.

“This time?” Sakura asked, puzzled as she looked beside her at Hyewon.

“Yeah. Do you remember when school started again after the summer? I saw how rough it was for you that day, but I couldn’t really do anything to help you. Yena used her influence to tell people they were wrong about you being a three-timer. Chaeyeon was there to make you laugh and keep your spirits up. I felt bad that I couldn’t do anything even though you call me a friend. I could only try and take your mind off of it.”

Sakura could not have guessed that Hyewon had been feeling down about her inability to help her during her ‘scandal.’ However, now as the girl mentioned it, she could recall how attentive the other girl had been the past month. Hyewon usually ate in the cafeteria but had been bringing food and eating with her and the other girls more often. She also started to be more proactive in recommending and lending manga and games that Sakura might like. In her own way, she had been trying to make Sakura happier. “You did help me take my mind off it. That was very sweet of you.”

Hyewon shrugged. “It wasn’t much. I’m just happy that I could do more this time and help out Chaeyeon, Yena, and Chaewon at the same time too.”

“Knock knock,” Sakura said as she mimed knocking on an imaginary door. There was just a curtain for privacy between the beds in the school infirmary.

“Come in,” Chaewon said in a sing song way, but it lacked any kind of whimsy. It sounded flat and downright depressing.

“Not feeling well, I take it?” Sakura asked as she sat down on a stool beside the bed.

“I’m feel great. Just great. Peachy,” Chaewon said again in the same deadpan voice.

“Hey, I know how much this ,” Sakura said.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to take it out on you. It’s not your fault. I can’t believe I tripped over nothing,” Chaewon sighed.

“Stuff like that happens all the time. You can’t blame yourself. Yena and Chaeyeon stomped on the part of the ground where you felt to get revenge for you,” Sakura said, trying to lighten the situation.

Chaewon’s upset face changed to one of worry at Sakura’s comment. “How did the race go? Did you find a replacement? I know how much Yena was looking forward to the race.”

“Yeah, Hyewon stepped up for us. We ended up coming in second. I think we got enough points to guarantee us a spot in the top three.”

“That’s good,” Chaewon said, breathing a sigh of relief.

“The others are cheering on the last event and said they would come here to visit you after.” Sakura didn’t feel like visiting the infirmary with a whole bunch of other people, so had come here on her own.

“You said you knew how much this ?” Chaewon asked after a moment of awkward silence passed between the two of them.

“I was in the track club in middle school. I never really ran in a real competition, so I know what it feels like to train so hard but not be able to show how hard you worked.”

“That’s part of it. But I feel like I disappointed the people that voted for me to take part in this event.”

“Of course, you didn’t,” Sakura nearly shrieked in outrage at Chaewon’s very suggestion. “I saw how you hard you worked in gym. I’m proud of all of your efforts and I’m happy I voted for you.”

Chaewon looked at Sakura with a scrunched face as if disbelieving Sakura’s comment. Gradually, her face relaxed into a beautiful smile. “Oh, I didn’t know you voted for me. The votes were all secret.”

“Ah, right,” Sakura said, feeling herself immediately blush like crazy. She brought a hand up to her face and started fanning herself. “Is it hot in here?””

Chaewon brought up her own hand and started helping Sakura fan herself. Her smile seemed to grow wider. “I’ve never actually been asked to participate as a starting member in any event before. I usually get put on the bench on some teams and I’m usually one of the last ones to get picked. I’ve never been really great at sports.”

“Uh, me too,” Sakura said, gulping a little, as felt dry. Despite the two of them now fanning her, she could feel the heat in her body rapidly rising still.

“So, I was really happy when I heard my name being called as one of the starters for the relay race. Thank you, Sa… kura, for being one of the people to vote for me,” Chaewon said awkwardly.

“It wasn’t much, Chae… won,” Sakura replied equally awkwardly.

“Congratulations on your class placing second,” Eunbi said to Sakura when they bumped into each other after the closing ceremonies.

“Thanks. Your class did well too. I saw you guys placed first,” Sakura said, pointing to the large scoreboard.

“Yeah, we did okay. No real thanks to me,” Eunbi said, pointing to her leg.

“That’s not true. I saw you grab at least four headbands in the cavalry event. Your class probably won first because of how well you did.”

“Did you watch that?” Eunbi asked but waved her hand as if her accomplishment was nothing. “My teammates who held me up on their shoulders did all of the work. I just sat up there and took the opportunities they gave me.”

Eunbi’s self-deprecating tone grated on Sakura’s ears. “I hate it when you speak like that. Well, I thought you were amazing like your usual self.”

“You’re my kohai. You’re supposed to prop me up,” Eunbi acknowledged. “How was your teammate by the way? I saw that she fell down during the warm-up. Is she alright?”

Sakura could see real concern in her senpai’s eyes and knew that the sight of Chaewon falling probably brought back bad memories of Eunbi’s own injuries. “Yeah, she’s fine. She has a slight sprain. The nurse said she should be okay as long as she keeps her weight off of it for awhile.”

“That’s good to hear,” Eunbi said while putting a hand to her own heart.

“Did it remind you of your own injury?” Sakura asked hesitantly.

“To this day whenever I see someone fall down, I feel like my heart always ends up in my throat. I was so nervous for her. Maybe you think I’m strange for feeling that way about a simple fall.”

“No, I think you’re a loving and empathetic person. I think you saw how upset she was when she was helped off the field. Honestly, I felt the same way,” Sakura said.

“It’s funny. I used to really hate what happened to me, but I think it might have made me a better person. I probably would have laughed a couple of years ago, not realizing how hurt the girl was, and just thinking it was a funny incident.”

“That is a nice way to look at it,” Sakura nodded. “But from what I heard from the other senpais in the cheer dance club during the summer barbeque, you were already a very nice person. If there was something good that came from it, I’d like to think it helped you discover that you had other talents and things that you like.”

“You’re too sweet, Kkura,” Eunbi said and raised a hand to give Sakura a pat on the cheek.

“Senpai!” Sakura said as she looked around them. Her earlier PDA with Yujin was still on her mind. Such an intimate contact with Eunbi was bound to have tongues wagging.

“You’re such a prude sometimes,” Eunbi said and withdrew her hand. “I’m going to hug you like crazy the next time we’re at the art club though.”

Sakura knew that her senpai never joked about promised cuddling. “Fine. As long as you admit that you were amazing today.”

Eunbi looked at Sakura, before looking down. She took a moment before she looked up again. “I-I was amazing today.”

“See that wasn’t so hard, right? Anyway, as the acting president of the art club, I’m ordering you to stop moping around and thinking of bad memories. The past is the past. You did great today, and you should celebrate with your class.”

“I don’t care anymore. You’re just too adorable,” Eunbi declared and wrapped her arms around Sakura and pulled her into a deep hug.

Sakura could hear some audible gasps of people around them, but at the moment she didn’t really care as she let her senpai give her an appreciative hug.

“You two should have gotten a room. Whew, that looked hot,” Yuri said in a teasing voice.

Sakura looked up from her garbage picking to see Yuri also picking up trash from the field. She didn’t need to ask Yuri to know who the girl was referring to. “You know what’s she’s like when she wants to hug someone. In fact, you’re almost as bad as her when you want to kiss us.”

“You make it sound like I would just kiss anyone,” Yuri said, but did not outright deny it.

When Yuri opened up to people as she had to her and the other girls in the art club, she really opened up to them. The shy girl that she projected was gone and replaced by a needy pet-like girl who craved affection. Eunbi and Yujin didn’t seem to have any problem giving into the girl’s cravings, but Sakura still got shy at times. “Have you kissed everyone in the music club? Do they know what you’re like behind closed doors?”

“I love my new members just like I love my former members,” Yuri said cheekily.

“Did you have fun at the sports festival today?” Sakura asked.

“Yeah, I really did. I only played in a game for a few minutes coming off the bench, but I still really enjoyed it. This is the most fun I’ve ever had at a sports festival.”

“I’m glad you had fun, but were you really okay with not taking much of a part?” Sakura knew that if it were her, she would have been disappointed in Yuri’s situation.

“I know what I’m good and what I’m bad at pretty well. I really was just happy watching and taking a small part. When I was in middle school, I watched too, but more from the sidelines. This year, I was cheering right alongside my teammates and classmates. Now, if it were like singing or something, then yeah, I would have been really upset that I couldn’t have had more of an active role.”

“Maybe I should learn from you,” Sakura muttered at Yuri’s mature response.

“Don’t. Wanting to do something no matter how good or bad you are at it is one of the things I like about Senpai,” Yuri said.

“Thanks?” Sakura said with an inflection, unsure if the girl was complimenting her or not. “Wait, Yuri are you volunteering?”

Yuri blinked and paused from where she was collecting garbage. “What does it look like I’m doing?”

“I just thought you just saw me picking up trash and wanted to help me. But you actually volunteered. Like for real?”

“Senpai, you’re making a big deal out of nothing,” Yuri said awkwardly with an embarrassed tone.

“Our Yuri is growing up. You went from just wanting to do your own thing to wanting to help out the school.” Sakura found herself unexpectedly emotional as she looked at the younger girl.

“It’s nothing,” Yuri repeated. “I’m going to go over there. Don’t follow me, geez!”

Sakura wiped sweat from her brow as she looked down the field. She stacked up all the pilons and cleaned up all of the trash. Not that there was much trash anyway since most people were conscientious about taking their garbage with them. She was about to put the pilons back in the wheelbarrow when she noticed a tall figure walking by herself along the track. “Wonyoung-chan!”

Wonyoung turned her head and stopped in her tracks. “Unnie!” she called back.

Sakura jogged over to the taller girl and saw that the girl wore what Sakura would say was a conflicted expression. “Hey, you. Are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay. I was just looking around,” Wonyoung said.

 “Are you sure? You look a little upset,” Sakura said to the other girl.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking of how much fun everyone seemed to have today. I was really happy that everyone had a great time.”

“But?” Sakura prompted, sensing the younger girl wasn’t saying everything on her mind.

Wonyoung sighed. “But I had been looking forward to taking part in some of the activities.”

“I guess you were pretty busy this year.” Sakura knew that as student council president, the girl’s time was very valuable.

“Yeah, we held more events this year. It was a little tough organizing events all over the school grounds. We had some in the gym, in both the soccer and baseball fields, and on the track here. We were probably a little ambitious, but we really wanted everyone in every class to do at least one thing that they liked.”

“I would pat you on the head, but my hands are a little dirty right now. You did a great job, Wonyoung-chan,” Sakura said while tilting her head in a small bow-like gesture.

“Oh, I don’t care about that,” Wonyoung said and moved forward and wrapped Sakura in a big embrace while her dirty hands hung limply at her sides.

Sakura was glad that nobody was at this part of the field or they would have seen something. Not that it mattered much anymore as there were other times today that people saw her with one of the popular girls of the school. “Well, since you’re here. Do you want to have a race with me? I’ve always wanted to know if your long legs were just for show.”

Wonyoung let go of Sakura and looked down excitedly at her. “You mean right now?”

“Sure, why not?” Sakura moved towards the line that showed the start of the track. “We’ll do a hundred-meter sprint. We’ll go from here to the end over there.”

“Aren’t you tired? You ran earlier and you’ve been volunteering a lot today.” Wonyoung tried to sound mature, but Sakura could hear eagerness seep out from the girl’s voice.

“Are you worried about losing to your Unnie? I was in the track club and our class did come in second during the relay, so I could see why you think you might lose.”

“Okay, you’re on!” Wonyoung moved to stand on the other side of Sakura as they got into their positions.

“Let me get my phone out. When you hear the beep, that’s when we start. I’ll set it for ten seconds from now,” Sakura said as she pulled out her phone at set it beside the two of them.

“Prepare to eat my dust, Unnie,” Wonyoung said confidently.

Seeing the girl so happy compared to her earlier expression brought a smile to Sakura’s face. “We’ll see about that.”

Chaeyeon: You beat Wonyoung in running?

Sakura: Hey, it’s possible.

Chaeyeon: …

Sakura: …in the actual game, we can change it so that she wins.

Author’s Note

I'm feeling full these days with everything that's happening. Seeing all the girls together in the vlive. Comeback soon. Mail flowing freely. Sakura's birthday soon. Nothing like this to inspire me to write about the girls.

Let me know your thoughts!