Yujin's Days

Daydreams

Yujin’s Days

Day -158

Yujin breathed a sigh of relief as her classmates turned the corner. She’d somehow managed to ditch them. It wasn’t that she hated them or anything, but she was beginning to feel uncomfortable with how they fawned and fought over her. She had thought this would have been a pleasant and fun outing. Boy had she been wrong.

She liked having many friends. But were they really her friends? She was beginning to doubt that. Not a week went by without one of her so-called friends confessing to her. Yujin was always worried about hurting them and always took great pains to let the girls down gently.

One would think that after turning down so many girls, she would start to become a pariah. If only that were true. This only seemed to make her more popular. It had gotten so bad, that she had started counting down the days to graduation.

When she was sure that the other girls had really left the area, she breathed a sigh of relief and looked around herself. It seemed that she had come to a less crowded part of the school. She could hear music playing in one of the rooms. She made her way to the doorway and could see a few students playing music, but there seemed to be very few visitors. Only one in fact.

As she considered whether to go in the room or not, she noticed another room beside the music club. Outside of the room there were dozens upon dozens of drawings. They’re cute? Yujin wondered to herself as she looked at them. It wasn’t really the right word for them though. They seemed to be little more than simple drawings of two people, but the art style was quite unique.

“Oh, hi,” a voice called out from inside the room.

Yujin looked in and saw a girl wearing glasses and a nervous smile looking at her. “Hi, I was just looking at the drawings here. There are a lot of them.”

“Yeah, I drew them all. If you read it from over here to over there, it kind of tells a story,” the girl said shyly as she came out of the room to greet Yujin.

“Hmm,” Yujin murmured as she became lost in the story. While the art was simplistic, the story was quite developed, and she found herself engrossed in it. There wasn’t really anything deep about it, but she was drawn to the protagonist, Kkura, who was friendless at the start of the story. She felt a smile tug at her lips as the girl gradually became happier and happier as she spent more and more time with her Eunbi-senpai.

“Did you like it?” the girl, Kkura, Yujin assumed, asked in a shy voice. The character had odd rectangular glasses just like this girl did.

Yujin nearly jumped as she hadn’t expected the girl to stand beside her the whole time waiting patiently for her to finish it. “Ah, yeah, I did. The art club seems like a lot of fun.”

“Oh, yes, it is,” Kkura said enthusiastically. “I don’t recognize your uniform. Did you come to check out our school while we had our school festival?”

“A bunch of my classmates were interested, and I got dragged along. I think this school seems pretty difficult to get into, so I’m not sure it’s for me,” Yujin said honestly.

“I don’t think you should let something being difficult stop you from doing what you want to do,” Kkura admonished.

Where did the shy girl go? Yujin thought as the diminutive girl seemed to stare her down. “Ah, you’re right.”

The girl smiled in response as if Yujin were a toddler who learned her lesson. “Do you want to check out the club inside? You can see some of our president’s works. She’s very talented. If you like these, you’ll love hers.”

Before Yujin could say no, Kkura grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her into the room.

Day 1

So her name is actually Sakura, Yujin thought as she watched the girl leave. And she doesn’t remember me.

Well, it wasn’t completely fair to think of it that way. In the five months that Yujin had last seen the other girl, she had changed quite a lot. She’d actually grown a few inches and was much taller than the other girl now. Another thing was that she had fully taken advantage of the school’s lenience on makeup which she hadn’t worn when she visited the school during the cultural festival. There was also the fact that she never did end up introducing herself to the other girl.

However, even all that didn’t stop a frown from appearing on her face. She had thought that she might have left an impression on the older girl. Sakura had definitely left an impression on Yujin after all. The hour that she had spent chatting with the girl had probably been the most fun that she’d had in forever. That thought had lingered in her head as she found herself doing what she thought she would never do in a million years; she studied on her own without anyone prodding her. Her parents had thought that she’d been possessed.

And all for what? The girl didn’t even remember her. Why did she go through all that trouble? Well it wasn’t really like she had done all that just to see the girl again. She did genuinely like the school and thought that it would be a fresh start for her if she went to a school where she could meet new people like Sakura. It just would have been nice to have been remembered.

Day 4

Yujin watched as Sakura left the library. She had wanted to call out to the other girl but stopped when she tried to think of what they would say to each other. The other girl just simply knew her as the tall kid that she bumped into a few days ago.

Yujin sighed as she sat back down. This wasn’t what she was expecting her high school life to be like. It was ironic that she had worked hard to get into a school that ended up being just like her old one. Even on orientation day, she found herself the center of attention. She was easily the second tallest girl in the glass and girls swarmed around her wanting to get to know her. Normally that would have been fine, but she got a bad feeling as soon as she heard the giggling and the saw the hearts in the eyes of the girls around her.

She had hoped the girls were just hyped up on orientation day and hoped the first day would be more mellow. But there was no chance of that. There had been a few girls in the class that seemed normal, but it had been hard to try and talk to them when a retinue of girls followed her everywhere. The library had so far been a nice refuge for her, but she doubted that she could sit here reading without getting bored out her mind for an entire year.

She turned her attention from Sakura’s retreating back to the poster that she had put up. An art club recruitment poster. Today was supposed to be the open house for many of the clubs. Sakura had mentioned that there were very few members in the art club if she remember correctly from the cultural festival. Yujin didn’t consider herself artsy in the least bit, but anything was better than the library. With that in mind, she resolved to sneak a look at the art room after class.

Day 7

Yujin peaked at Sakura who was musing over her drawing. She had honestly just winged it and didn’t really give any thought about what to draw. However, she was still nervous. “Well?” she prodded the other girl.

“Hmm, you say that you’ve never done this before?” Sakura asked.

“Not really. The last time I had art class or something like that was in elementary,” Yujin said.

“It’s pretty good I think for a beginner. You might have some talent in this area. Did you like drawing though? I think that’s the most important thing.” Sakura looked at Yujin thoughtfully. She seemed to be sincere about Yujin’s thoughts and not concerned about how few recruits joined this year.

“I guess so?” Yujin said with an inflection as if she wasn’t sure about it herself.

Sakura smiled. “That’s something at least. Well, I think that’s enough for your first day. Our club is open nearly everyday, but feel free to come whenever you like for club activities.”

Already? Yujin blinked and looked at her phone. She’d nearly spent an hour with Sakura and hadn’t realized it. It all went by so quickly.

Day 22

Yujin hummed to herself as she skipped past the garden on her way to the club room. She’d gotten her routine down to a science. She walked home with some of her classmates. Then she ate a quick snack before doubling back towards school. She only felt a little bad that she was hiding the fact that she was in the art club from everyone, but she really didn’t want anyone to spoil her time with her senpai.

As soon as she got within one floor of the art room, she quickened her pace and bounded up the stairs two steps at time. Her excitement rose as she got nearer and nearer until she literally exploded into the art room. “Senpai!”

“Yujin!” Sakura exclaimed cutely.

Loud unexpected noises seemed to really scare her senpai, which was one of the reasons that Yujin shouted the way she did when she entered. The older girl’s reactions were just the best. “What are we doing today?”

“Eunbi-senpai might join us later so I thought we might do some scrap booking,” Sakura said as she pointed Yujin towards the pile of scraps in the middle of one of the large tables. “She’s been wanting to do something with all of us.”

“That sounds fun,” Yujin said, smiling widely. It was a surprise even to Yujin how much she was enjoying art club. Sakura was of course the main reason for it. The older girl diligently prepared the club room for their club activities everyday. She never made anything too difficult for Yujin to handle, but she also didn’t coddle her. Their activities were challenging and rewarding. “No Yuri today?”

“She has cram school,” Sakura explained.

“She’s doing a lot better by the way. She’s starting to talk more in class,” Yujin said confidingly. She’d been jealous of the other girl at first because it seemed that Sakura treated the other girl better than her. As Yujin got to know her senpai more, she realized the girl couldn’t keep her nose out of the business of the people that she cared about. Sakura was only showing the other girl more care because the other girl was having problems making friends. If Yujin could help solve that problem, then Sakura would feel better.

“All thanks to you.” Sakura nodded her head in Yujin’s direction.

Ever since Yujin complained about Sakura playing favorites with her praises, the older girl responded by not holding back any when she complimented the girl. Unlike the compliments that she received from her admirers, she found herself enjoying Sakura’s to a ridiculous degree.

Day 121

Yujin hated Nako.

Maybe hate was too strong a word. It was irrational. The girl was an absolute sweetheart. There wasn’t a mean bone in the girl’s body except when Yujin antagonized her.

Oh, how Yujin antagonized the poor girl. Their rivalry with each other started almost near the start of the year when Yujin found out that Nako was Sakura’s childhood friend and Nako found out that she was Sakura’s art club kohai.

What started as passive aggressive one-upmanship became more and more outright taunting. Nako could kiss Sakura all she wanted. When Yujin tried, the other girl balked at it even though she let Yuri kiss her as well. Nako could spend her holidays with the girl. But Yujin could barely get Sakura to agree to even walking home after club together since the other girl always made after school plans. She gave Nako as good as she got, however. Nako reeled when Yujin talked about how she and Sakura sat so close to each other they might has well have been sitting in each other’s lap.

However, today, the two of them put aside their differences when rumors swirled around Sakura dating multiple first year students. It went against everything Yujin stood for, but she bit her tongue and asked Nako to help her dispel the rumors.

Did you know what I went through for you today? Yujin wanted to ask Sakura. Ultimately, she didn’t. She knew the older girl would just worry about things unnecessarily. That was the last thing that she wanted.

Day 347

“I already miss her,” Yujin said, knowing that Sakura felt Eunbi’s graduation even more strongly.

“Yeah, me too,” Sakura said as she held one of Eunbi’s unfinished art projects. It looked like it was going to be a diorama of the art room. “It’s so empty here without her.”

“I’m still here. Yena is coming more often too. We’re not going to let you get lonely,” Yujin promised.

“Thanks, Yujinie,” Sakura said with a smile.

Yujin was stunned as she heard her name being called so intimately by the other girl and stared at Sakura with wide eyes. “What did you call me?”

“Ah, Yujinie. Yena and Eunbi always call you that. I guess I was thinking that I wouldn’t be able to hear Eunbi call you that anymore and I just said it without thinking? Do you not like it?”

“No, I love it! Say it again!”

“Yujinie, Yujinie, Yujinie!” Sakura said, laughing as she repeated Yujin’s name over and over.

That precious smile warmed Yujin’s heart as she looked at it. It was the art club member’s duty to protect it. And now that Eunbi was no longer here, it fell upon Yujin to take it up.

Day 454

“Good job, President,” Sakura said after the last of the art club members left leaving only her and Yujin in the room.”

“Nice try. You’re still the president until you leave,” Yujin said automatically. It was common for Sakura to pretty much mention that she was going to leave the club in Yujin’s hands nearly every day. It left Yujin no time to feel sad about it.

“Only in name. You’ve taken over almost all of my duties. I get to just sit back and play with all our cute kouhais everyday.”

“Eunbi-senpai barely came because she was so busy with studying, but you seem to come to club every day,” Yujin said pointedly.

“Ooh, is our Yujinie jealous of the time I spend with them instead of her?” Sakura asked in a teasing voice.

“I shouldn’t have worked so hard to recruit so many girls if I knew you were going to be like this,” Yujin said with a sigh.

“Don’t worry. You’re still my favorite.” Sakura laughed and reached out to grab Yujin’s hand.

Yujin tried to resist at first but gave in and let herself be consoled. “If you didn’t say that to nearly all of our first-years I might believe it.”

“You are though,” Sakura said, her voice turning to take on a more serious tone.

Yujin looked at Sakura. It was rare for her senpai to look like this. “I’m going to miss you when you’re gone,” Yujin said softly, saying the words that had been on the tip of her tongue since the start of the year.

“Yeah, I know. I think I know how Eunbi-senpai felt now when it was just the two of us. Seeing the club so lively, I feel at ease knowing that even when I’m gone, you’ll have people around you to keep you from feeling lonely.”

None of them could replace you, Yujin thought but held herself back from saying. She didn’t want Sakura’s last year in the club to be a sad one.  “And I know how you felt when you knew that she was going to be leaving,” Yujin said.

Sakura smiled in reply and nodded.

Yujin could see that the girl was holding back tears as her eyes seemed wet. Or maybe they only seemed wet because her own eyes were tearing up. The two of them stood there looking at each other with wet eyes. Sometimes words weren’t needed. Yujin was sure that Sakura knew what was in her heart just like she knew what was in her senpai’s. This is going to be her best damn year ever, Yujin swore to herself.

Day 2400

“Hey, hey, it’s burning,” Sakura shouted at Yujin.

“Ah, sorry,” Yujin quickly moved the pan off of the burner. The toasty bread looked slightly burnt, but otherwise still edible. Of course, her idea of edible might not be the same as Sakura’s.

“What’s with you?” Sakura asked as she went over to the other side of Yujin to inspect the food.

“I was just remembering when I first met you again in high school,” Yujin said not all apologetic about messing up the dish which made Sakura reach up and pinch her cheek.

“And what about that was more important than paying attention to the food?” Sakura asked as she took a spatula and lifted the blackened thing onto a dish.

“I was just thinking how much fun and interesting things have been since that day,” Yujin said as she worked in tandem with Sakura by taking a knife to scrape off the burnt ends.

“I guess,” Sakura said with a grimace. Before Yujin could pout at the older girl, she could see Sakura unable to keep the grimace on her face for long and it broke out into a big smile. “Yeah, if you hadn’t joined the club that day, I don’t know that I would have enjoyed that year at all.”

“Don’t forget the gaming club or the manga appreciation club at Uni,” Yujin added with a giggle.

“I still can’t believe you followed me into every club that I joined at the university,” Sakura said, shaking her head. “Actually, I’m more surprised that you managed to get into the university. You hated studying.”

Yujin shrugged and smiled at the older girl. “I just knew that as long as I was with you, every day would be fun.” Just like today was and every day after will be. Yujin was sure of that.

Yujin: Did I do good?

Sakura: Sure, sure.

Yujin: *whine* Unnie! *whine*

Author’s Note:

Sakujin :P

 I slept on them at first I have to admit ^^;;

They’ve had so many great interactions with each other over the last couple of years that they’ve become one of my favorite: Yujin singing Sakura’s song, Sakura handing the mic to Yujin when Eunbi was having a hard time, Yujin jealous of Sakura’s praising of Minju, and so many more!