Meeting

Smoke, Fire and Burnt Things

          I wake up in the room alone, and I feel slightly better but my temperature is still high. I sit down for a full minute, then go outside. Sehun is chatting with the nurse, and he looks up a little from his seat to see me. “You’re awake? Let’s go home.” He’s holding a small medicine bag, and signals me to come closer.

          I nod, and walk to his direction. We say goodbye to the nurse and doctor, and walk to the red pickup. Sehun walks faster to open the door for me, and I look at him strangely. “Thanks… But I can do that much.”

          He just shrugs and throws a tiny smile. The way back to the village is silent, and I can’t wait to sleep again. When I get home, Grandma immediately notices my expression and she places a hand on my forehead. “Aigoo, dear. Yumi told me you were unwell.”

          "I'm okay, Grandma.” I say, and I realize my voice becomes so much weaker.

          “We went to the doctor.” Sehun shows the medicine, and Grandma rushes me to the bedroom to let me rest. Grandpa and Sehun stands by the bedroom entrance as Grandma bundles me up in a blanket, and feeds me the medicine. “Now, lie down. I’ll make a delicious porridge for you. Come on, boys, leave her to rest.” she hushes Sehun and Grandpa to walk away. Before Grandma closes the door, I call Sehun’s name, and he turns to see me.

          “Thank you.”

          He smiles, and his back disappears as the door is closed. I look around the quiet room, and exhale. My body might ache, but my heart strangely feels more at ease.

***

          The following day, I wake up and look around the room. It’s so empty without Yumi. We usually talk until late at night about everything, and I find her little stories about Jinho so adorable… They’re such lovebirds.

          I go out from the bedroom, and Grandma and Grandpa are sitting in front of the TV. “How are you feeling, dear?” Grandma asks. Grandpa looks like he’s getting ready to go somewhere, and I see food on the dining table. “Go have some breakfast. Or do you want me to bring it inside the room?”

          Yesterday Grandma did so, and I didn’t eat the meals together with them and Sehun so I only heard their voices from inside. I shake my head. “Thank you, Grandma, I’ll eat here.”

          “Alright… Sehun should have come by now.” Grandma looks through the window. “Oh, there he is.”

          Not long after Sehun comes inside, and we lock eyes. He observes me for awhile and sits in front of me across the table. “Feeling good?"

          I nod slowly. Grandpa excuses himself to go out, and Grandma is going to clean the rooftop so we’re left alone in the dining table. We’re eating without a word, and I take a few glances at Sehun. After I’m done, I’m trying to find something to talk about. “Um… Did you contact Jinho?”

          Sehun nods as he keeps chewing. “They arrived in Seoul safely."

          “So what are we going to do today?”

          Sehun furrows his thick eyebrows and looks at me sharply. “What are you talking about? You should rest.”

          “Well, I’m fine now…”

          Sehun shakes his head. “Nope. I won’t let you go anywhere today.”

          Is it bad that I feel something strange on my chest after he said that?

          “Grandma won’t allow that too.” he adds. Footsteps going down from the stairs are heard, and Sehun’s sight is fixed on something behind my back, probably Grandma. “Oh?” he exclaims.

          I turn around on my seat, and see Grandma carrying a dusty acoustic guitar and a few pieces of clothes from upstairs. Sehun stands up and walks to her speedily. “Grandma, whose guitar is this?”

          “Oh, it’s my son’s old guitar, he left this here after getting married.” Grandma hands the guitar to Sehun, and his eyes sparkle. Grandma goes to the laundry room, and Sehun brings the guitar to his seat with a small smile. “Can you play it?” I ask.

          He’s busy wiping the guitar with tissue, and looks up to me once, still with a smile on his face. He nods, and looks at the guitar with such adoring eyes. “Yeah. I wanted to bring mine here but it was such a hassle… But there’s one here apparently.”

          His voice gets higher when he’s excited, and I watch him tune the guitar carefully. He starts strumming it, and his face goes from bright to serious, checking every sound that comes out. For the next five minutes I’m just watching him being in his own world with the guitar, and he catches me looking. The sides of his mouth go up, and he looks at the guitar again. “Sorry—I’m glad to hold a guitar after more than a week.”

          He must play often, then. I smile, and nod. “Go on.”

          He plays random notes, and the sound gets clearer gradually. He finally looks satisfied, and stops playing. The room instantly gets quieter than it should be. “Well then, go rest. I’m planning to go to Uncle Yong’s workplace today.”

          “Oh—okay.” I say. He leaves, and I’m left by myself in the room.

          Somehow I want him to stay longer.

*

          Jinho and Yumi are supposed to arrive tonight but because of a schedule mishap, they will come here tomorrow morning. During dinner, Grandma and Grandpa tell us that there’d be a community meeting in the village hall and invites Sehun to come. “Maybe you can play the guitar for us.” Grandpa says, looking at the guitar next to Sehun which he can’t seem to let go once he enters the house. Sehun’s mouth curves into a smile and he nods. I look at him, and clear my throat. “I want to go too.”

          “Aigoo, Nana, you shouldn’t. It’s cold, you should just sleep.” Grandma says.

          “No, please, I’ll wear layers of clothing.” I open my eyes wide, trying to look bright and healthy. Actually, I’m scared to be left alone at home and I’m sure Sehun would tease me if I say so. They allow me to go in the end, and the elders go first while Sehun waits for me to get dressed.

          “If you faint in the middle of the street, I won’t carry you home.” Sehun says from the outside, and I hiss from inside the room. He laughs a little, and I come out. “Here. I’m warmly dressed, right?”

          Sehun scans me from top to bottom, and suddenly raises his hands. He reaches for my scarf, and wraps it tighter on my neck. “You said your throat hurt. You should cover your neck more.” he says, then turns around to the door. “Let’s go.”

          I blink a few times, and follow him. We walk to the village hall, and Sehun is bringing the guitar with him. “Doesn’t it have a bag?” I ask.

          “I don’t think so… It’s been left for so long.” he says, caressing the upper bout. Him with the guitar looks natural, like it’s been his forever. We arrive at the village hall, and see the chief talking with a man in front of the entrance. “Oh, kids! Come here!”

          The chief introduces the man as a friend from the nearby village, and apparently someone who saw Sehun the day he was gone from the festival.

          “It was hard that time, right? But you managed take care of Chulsoo and his mother… We, the neighbors were out to work that time so we didn’t know and felt so bad. Thankfully you were there.” the man gives an assuring grip to Sehun’s shoulders. “You even cried too that time.”

          I turn to see Sehun, but he avoids my gaze. “Such a reliable young man, isn’t he? I wonder where he went that time, apparently he was having a hard time by himself.” the chief says. He lets us go inside, and Sehun says nothing afterwards.

          He cried that time? That day must be stressing for him… I thought of the time when I refused to talk to him that night after the festival, and my heart feels heavy.

          Sehun and I sit on the floor in a corner as the meeting starts, and I peek at his direction, hugging the guitar like it could escape. I’m thinking about what the man said, but it would be inappropriate to talk about it to him. He unexpectedly has a tender heart.

          The meeting comes to an end and the chief invites Sehun to play some old tracks, and he surprisingly knows all the songs the villagers recommend. A few elders showcase their singing prowess, and the mood is festive enough for me to forget my headache.

          The night gets deeper and people start leaving. Sehun shifts to a more relaxed set of tracks, as if they become the ending accompaniment of this meeting. The sound of his guitar and few people talking slowly makes me sleepy, and I lean to the wall, unable to fight my heavy eyes.

*

          “Nana.”

          Someone pats my shoulders lightly, and I open my eyes. It’s blurry.

          “Nana-ya.” I blink to clear my vision, and Sehun is kneeling in front of me, grinning. The room is almost empty. I try to be awake, and his face turns concerned. “Are you okay?”

          I take a deep breath, and shake my head repeatedly to collect my soul. “I’m fine. Just a bit sleepy.”

          Sehun stands up, and offers his hand to me. “Let’s go home.”

          I look at his hand longer than I should, and I hesitantly take it. It’s dry and rough. He grabs my hand to help me up, and I feel wide awake.

          I silently follow him outside, and clench my fist. The feeling still feels very vivid. So he can hold someone’s hand. I remember that time in the kindergarten again… Was it because we weren’t close? Not like we are, now. Yesterday at the clinic our hands kind of touched too...

          “What are you doing?” Sehun calls, and I realize I’m a few steps too slow behind him.

          “Nothing.” I answer, and try to keep up. I’m thinking unnecessary things.