Flowers

Smoke, Fire and Burnt Things

          The next morning, I’m getting ready in front of the mirror and as I touch my face, Sehun’s comment about tofu resurfaces inside my head. I furrow my brows, looking at my reflection. Yumi enters the room after washing her face, and notices me staying still. “What’s the matter, Nana?”

          I turn around, and look at her. “Yumi, do you think I look like—?”

          She stares at me curiously, and I press my lips together. “No. forget it.” I look at the mirror again. Is it my skin? My cheeks? Whatever.

          During breakfast, Grandma places a hot stone pot in the middle of the table happily. “Here, I made this stew with the tofu that Nana and Sehun brought yesterday. I heard you two made this?”

          “Yes.” I say. I catch Sehun looking at me, and he has this small smile on his face. I keep fixating my eyes on him, demanding an explanation, but he looks away quickly. I roll my eyes, and start eating.

          Sehun and I are going to visit a fruit garden, and Yumi who went there yesterday told me even though the visit wouldn’t last long, it’s going to be exhausting since it’s harvest time and we’re going to do hard labor. Everything she says is true, and during our visit I hardly see Sehun since we’re stationed in different parts of the green house.

          We’re finished by afternoon, and Yumi and Jinho also come back early. Yumi smiles in sympathy looking at my drooped shoulders, and follow me to the bedroom. “You were right.” I murmur.

          “I had fun making tofu. The ladies were so nice too. During break time we were almost chased by the chickens.”

          “Oh, you should’ve gone to—” the rooftop comes to my mind, and I swallow. Thankfully Yumi doesn’t notice my pause, and I turn to do other things. After resting for awhile, Yumi’s phone rings, and she picks it up. “Yeah, Jinho? Hm? No, we don’t… In thirty minutes? Alright.” a bright smile blooms on her face.

          “What is it?” I ask.

          “Uncle Yong is going to take us to that place with cherry blossoms!” Yumi looks excited. “We should dress prettily, we’re surely going to take photos there!”

          We gather in front of the house, and all four of us notice that we put some extra effort in our clothes. We laugh at each other, and see that Grandma and Grandpa decide to join us.

          Since the elders are going to sit at the front, Uncle Yong prepares a bigger mat for us to sit on the back of the pickup. The boys climb on it first, and they stand on the end to help Yumi and I. Jinho, of course, helps Yumi and Sehun and I glance at him taking Yumi’s hand and pulling her up.

          Sehun reaches out his hand, and calls me slowly. “Here.”

          I look at his hand for a second, and take it. It feels exactly like that one time, unless now he grips it with some power to bring me up as I set a foot on the pickup. The roughness of his hand is lasting even longer now, and I hide my hand on my jacket’s pocket.

          The four of us sit in front of each other by twos, and Sehun is beside me. The car starts moving, and Yumi is looking at Jinho who is setting his camera. Should I find something to talk about? I have something to make sure, though. After thinking for awhile, I turn to Sehun and open my mouth. “Were you playing the guitar last night?”

          He blinks, and keeps looking to the front. “Hm? Oh… Yeah. Did it disturb you?”

          “No, not at all.” I say. “It helped me fall asleep.” I add slowly.

          He lets out a little laugh. “If you feel bothered, you can go outside and yell at me.”

          I smile, and adjust my sitting position. I hear shutter sounds, and my eyes widen. Jinho is aiming his lens to our direction, and Yumi giggles.

          “Whoa, whoa—” I cover my face with my hands. “No.”

          “Ah, why?” Yumi whines. “The view is good. You two look good.” she takes the camera, and takes more pictures of us.

          My heart is drumming for no reason, and I clench my teeth. I force myself to smile, and Yumi looks at her shot. “Hey, Sehun, are you pretending to be cool?” she clicks her tongue.

          I take the camera from her, and prepare to shoot at her and Jinho. “Get closer, aren’t you a couple?” I say, and Sehun chuckles beside me. “3, 2, 1.”

          Yumi and Jinho still looks awkward, and I laugh looking at the preview. “You don’t look natural.” I silently press the previous button and the small screen shows my photo and Sehun. I’m flashing a small smile and Sehun isn’t really making an expression, but somehow it’s a good photo of us. My lips curl, and I clear my throat to avoid being too obvious. I want to see the previous pictures Yumi took of us, but I guess I’ll wait until then. “I’ll take more photos of you and Jinho.”

          We arrive at the cherry blossoms tree area, and it’s completely empty. It’s next to a small road, and nobody seems to have visited there for a long time. We use the mat from the pickup to have a sitting space on the center of the trees, and while the elders sit and enjoy the view, Yumi and I are starting to find good spots for photo with Jinho on the camera and Sehun in tow.

          We’re basically having a photoshoot, and I see Sehun looking at us with a held-back smile. He spots me, and turns his back. After Jinho took photos of the girls, I take over the camera so Jinho could have solo shots too, and when he’s finished waves his hand to the area behind my back. “Sehun, here! Nana takes good photos!”

          Sehun has his hands on his pockets and walks toward us. “Nah, just go on.”

          “Aye, stand here.” Jinho drags him to where he stood before, in front of a tree with the most flowers. “Nana, here’s your model.”

          Sehun sighs, and my hands tremble a bit. I click the shutter for a few times, and ask him to change the pose. Despite his minimal changes, I think I took some decent ones. Jinho looks at the previews, and nods in approval. “Of course, Shin Nana can do anything. Now, stand beside him, Nana. I’ll take photos of you two.”

          “What?”

          “You took photos of me and Yumi, I’ll take yours.”

          “But we don’t need to—”

          Yumi walks to me, holds my shoulders and makes me stand closer to Sehun. These two, really… Endless shutter sounds are heard and Jinho shouts instructions to us. “Smile, you two! Okay! You guys aren’t enemies, what’s with the tension? Sehun, show your teeth!”

          Even Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Yong laugh seeing us, and I smile because of Jinho’s directing. I bump into Sehun’s side, and we look at each other for a second. I look away quickly, and try to control my face.

          “Alright, nice.” Jinho finally puts down the camera and checks the photos. He grins at one photo, and shows it to us. Sehun is making a V sign behind my head and it’s placed perfectly like horns. I send him a look, and he just laughs. Jinho gets to other pictures, and one catches my instantly.

          Sehun and I are brightly smiling, and we look really close to each other, sticking side to side. I didn’t remember being this close to him before the bump, maybe just because of the angle… But it looks natural. We look… Happy.

          “Kids, take some photos of us too!” Uncle Yong calls. Jinho goes to them with the camera, and Yumi follows. “Nana, let’s go.”

          I nod, and turn to Sehun but he’s looking at the trees with such a serene look. Maybe I’ll just leave him here. I’m about to lift my foot when his mouth opens.

          “Pretty, right?”

          I take a look at where he’s staring at, and the part of tree is blown by the wind softly, altering the sunshine peeking through the gaps. I look at him again, and he’s having a side of his mouth pulled up, eyes fixed on the flowers.

          “Yeah… It’s pretty.”

          Maybe I'm not only talking about the flowers.