You

Smoke, Fire and Burnt Things

          I start hearing sounds again when Sehun stops in front of me. I can only stupidly look up to his eyes, and feel my heartbeat on my throat. “No way.”

          He laughs slowly. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

          “What are you doing here?” my tongue feels numb.

          “Well, this is my hometown.” he leisurely answers.

          “I mean—here, here.” I glance at the ground. Sehun laughs again.

          “I want to see you. You know, I was inside. I watched you on stage.”

          “No way.” my mind starts spinning. He did? Where was he? “No way.” I repeat.

          He lifts his hand, and places it on my head. He softly caresses my hair, and smiles. “Congrats, Nana.”

          My legs feel wobbly. A huge dumb smile blooms on my face, and I feel like my heart is going to burst. I’m just so happy.

          “Can I hug you?”

          Sehun’s eyes changes a bit after I said that, but then he removes his hand from my head, takes a step back and stretches out his hands towards me. “Come here.”

          I slowly put my arms around him, and connect them on his back. My eyes are right on his shoulder level, and his smell quickly fills my surrounding. His perfume is really calming.

          Sehun hugs me back, and pulls our bodies closer together. He’s holding me so tightly, and I’m drown into this warmth. I close my eyes to savor this moment, and smile secretly.

          After some time, we let go of each other and Sehun looks at me. “So. Dinner?”

          “Ah. Right.” I laugh. “But I really want to change first. Can we go to the hotel? It’s nearby, one turn from here.”

          “Alright. I think I need some place to put my bag as well.” I realize that he’s carrying a duffel bag. That must be heavy.

          “Oh, you can put it in my room.” I say. “Were you really inside? Where were you? When did you arrive? How did you know the schedule?”

          “Aigoo.” Sehun mutters as we walk. “Secret.”

          “Ah, what was that?” I stomp my shoes to the ground. Sehun just laughs.

          “Those aren’t important. What’s important is I succeeded to find you.”

          My lips curl. Thinking that he went all the way here to see me…

          “I was waiting forever outside, though. What took you so long after the awarding?”

          Here he goes again. “I was waiting for Professor Jung and TA Han. I need to at least wait until they leave for the train station.” I get reminded of something. “Did you know I was going to be left alone tonight?”

          Sehun doesn’t answer. I just smile to myself, and we arrive at the hotel. A wave of realization just hits me as we get into the elevator—I’m bringing Sehun to my hotel room. I swallow, and try to be calm. I’m just going to change, and we’ll leave again right away.

          I open the door, and show off the spacious front part of the room. “Because of a system error, they upgraded the room for me! I offered this room for Professor Jung but he declined.”

          “Whoa.” Sehun looks around. “This is almost suite level.”

          “This area is really helpful. I used this for studying last night.” I stand on the corridor that connects the front part and the bedroom in an attempt to hide unwanted view. Sehun goes around the sofa and TV shelf, and stop on a table. It’s full of my notes from yesterday.

          He picks up a piece of paper and examines it. “’Nana is the best.’ ‘Everything will be alright.’ ‘One step closer from success.’”

          My eyes widen. Is he reading the little doodles I usually make without much thought during memorizing my presentation?! I dash over to him and try to snatch the paper but he raises his hands high. I’m doing poor attempts to jump and reach, but it’s just way up there. “Give me that!”

          Sehun manages to take more papers and smirks at me. “Why? I want to see them.”

          “No! You can’t! Give me those!”

          “’Prove them wrong.’—ooh, who would that be? ‘Let’s destroy this.’ wow…” he looks up and reads more.

          “Sehun!”

          He keeps his arms high and starts walking away. I’m still pitifully trying to catch up and jump, but he’s just too tall.

          I finally resort to grabbing his elbow and try to bring him down, but it makes him lose his balance. He reaches my back to hold onto, and brings me down together. Luckily he lands on the sofa behind him, completely lying down. “Uh…”

          I’m on top of him, and my hand is trapped between his body and the sofa. I’m using that hand for support but my other hand has nothing to grip and I can’t do anything with my legs either, so I basically can’t move. Sehun drops the papers to the floor, and we awkwardly look at each other.

          “You’re heavy.”

          I close my eyes and sigh. “I know. But I’m stuck. Do something.”

          His smell and body temperature from this close distance make me unable to focus. I grit my teeth to keep my mind straight, and I’m waiting for him to move but he’s staying still.

          “Hey.” I say. “Get up.”

          Our faces are only inches apart and he still has his hand on my back. Instead of moving, Sehun is looking at me silently. Does he not realize what kind of position we’re in? I try to look away, and end up looking at his neck.

          I feel his hand going up to my nape, and I look at him again. That’s when he slightly lifts his head, and his lips land a swift peck on mine.

          It sends an electricity jolt through my body, and I’m suddenly able to slide myself down from him and the sofa. I’m standing up awkwardly, not knowing whether to stay still or walk away.

          Sehun gets up as well, and we’re looking at each other. My mind is blank, my heart is drumming, I have no idea what to do or say right now—

          He tilts his head and bends down a little to meet my eye level, then he kisses me. Due to the surprise I almost take a step back but Sehun’s hand reaches my waist first, holding me on place.

          It probably lasts for five seconds, and he still has his face close to mine even after that. I freeze on my spot with nothing on my mind. He slowly separates himself from me, and I can’t bear to look up.

          I hear him taking a breath, but I keep my eyes on the floor.

          “I think I couldn’t take you to dinner tonight. I’ll text you later. I’m leaving now.”

          He turns around, takes his bag, and disappears behind the door in a flash.

          My heartbeats are still going in a dangerous pace, and I slowly take a seat on the sofa, with mouth slightly open.

          What did just happen?