Sunrise

Smoke, Fire and Burnt Things

          "What are your true feelings about Nana?"

          My heart sinks after Yumi asked the question. I'm currently sitting in front of Sehun, and our eyes immediately meet. I look away, and face Yumi. "Time out!" I cut the air with my voice. "He has the right to not answer and change it to a dare if he wants."

          "No, I'll answer that." Sehun calmly says. I turn to him, and he looks at me solemnly. What's with that look? I get nervous for no reason, and I'm holding onto the side of my chair.

          "She fights well."

          Yumi and Jinho lets out a disappointed groan, and I think I can breathe again. Sehun chuckles, and I throw a slice of lettuce to his direction. "Really? A fighter?"

          He nods. "I'll fight you anytime."

          Yumi and Jinho go 'oooh' loudly, and we all just laugh afterwards. We change to another game, and walk home to our lodging. The lodging is a pretty wooden house, not a big one but it's just right for four people with two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, and even a backyard. They even have cable TV, and we're ending the night with watching a movie.

          I just finished washing up when Yumi and Jinho are already in front of the TV, sitting on the floor with their back leaning on the sofa cushion. They drape a blanket—hey, that’s from our room—over their shoulders and I silently look at them. I climb to the sofa, and fortunately the seat is wide enough for me to cross my legs comfortably without touching their backs.

          Sehun comes out from the bedroom, looks like he also just finished showering with his damp hair. I try not to make a weird expression as he combs his hair with his fingers. That scene isn’t supposed to look that cinematic in my eyes. He sits next to me without a word and starts watching the movie.

          As the movie plays, I gradually feel cold but I don’t know what to do. If I were to take my sweater from the bedroom, I’d have to jump down the sofa and pass by in front of Yumi and Jinho. It would be a hassle to come back to my original position later. I choose to hold it in, and lean to the corner of the sofa and sit on my own hand to seek heat.

          Sehun climbs down from the sofa and starts walking to his room. Oh nice, since that side is clear I can go to my room without interrupting this couple—

          Before I can move, Sehun comes out from the room, bringing a folded blanket. I emptily look at him as he goes back to the sofa and spreads the blanket. He nonchalantly gives one side of it to me and drapes another over his back. “Oh—thank you.” I say slowly.

          The rustling makes Jinho turns his head back, and he smirks seeing what’s going on. I shoot him a threatening glare, and he hurriedly sees the front again.

          The blanket does wonders, and I’m much comfortable now. But honestly it makes me a little bit jumpy to share this with Sehun. My hand starts to sweat instead.

          Out of nowhere the scene cuts to a bed scene and I grit my teeth. Not even a heave of breath is heard between us while the inappropriate sound fills the room. Oh God, please let this end soon…

          Suddenly a palm blocks my sight, and I reflexively slap it down. I turn to my side, and Sehun looks like he’s holding in his laughter. “You must’ve wanted to watch it so much.”

          I smack his arm, and Jinho and Yumi turns around hearing the commotion. We’re all laughing, and the racy scene finally ends.

          For some reason the movie seems long, and I see Sehun leaning on the back pillows with half-closed eyes. After some time he’s not moving at all, and when I see him again he’s already sleeping. That’s too bad, the finale just starts though.

          The movie ends, and Yumi and Jinho stands up to go to bed. They see Sehun sleeping, and silently giggle. “Hey, carry him to the bedroom.” I say to Jinho.

          “What am I, his father?” Jinho chuckles. “Hey, Nana, wake him up.”

          I hesitantly put my hand on his shoulder and shake him a bit. “Sehun?”

          His thick eyebrows make him look fierce even when he’s sleeping. After I shake him some more, his eyes open a bit. The three of us laugh, and Sehun stretches. “I didn’t even see the ending.”

          We go to our bedrooms, and I’m ready to close my eyes but Yumi still looks very energetic. “Aigoo, kid, let’s rest.”

          “I’m just so happy to be here. Aren’t you?” Yumi kicks her blanket excitedly.

          “It’s a beautiful place.” I say.

          “I can’t believe we’re going back to school in no time. I still enjoy this life.”

          “Of course.” I laugh slowly.

          Despite her energy, Yumi is actually the type who sleeps right away once she’s lying on a bed so not even five minutes after our talk, she already fell into the dreamland. I’m looking at the ceiling, wondering what will happen tomorrow.

*

          The next morning, I wake up facing the window and see that the sky is still a bit dark behind the curtains. After collecting my soul I realize that Yumi is gone, and after staying still for awhile, I don’t think she’s in the bathroom. Where is she going?

          After washing my face I come out from the room, and the house is silent. Jinho and Sehun’s room is shut. Are they gone too?

          I shudder when the door is suddenly opened, and Sehun appears, looking straight from bed in his t-shirt and training pants. I never see him looking so… domestic. “Is Jinho inside?”

          “No, he’s nowhere to be found.” Sehun says, his voice is a bit hoarse. He goes to the kitchen and pours himself a glass of water. “Yumi?”

          I sigh. “She’s gone as well.”

          “I think Jinho mentioned about sunrise last night.”

          Ah… Sunrise. I want to see it too though.

          Should I go? Should I ask Sehun too? Is it going to be awkward? It’d be more awkward if I just leave alone, though. What should I—

          “Do you want to go see the sunrise too?”

          Oh my. Sehun asks first. I look at him longer than I’m supposed to be, and nod slowly.

          Sehun and I start walking towards the beach, and yellow bursts of morning sun start to be seen as we go closer. It’s very cold now, but the fresh air and calm sky make up for it.

          From afar I see someone is walking her bichon frise puppy, and I get thrilled to see it. “Oh!”

          The woman lets us pet it, and I get reminded of Sehun’s profile photo. “You have a dog’s photo as your display picture, right? Is it your pet?”

          “Oh… Yeah.”

          “I want to see it!” I say without thinking, then realize my words. I don’t have anything to continue that though, and Sehun is seen smiling.

          “Well, when I get the chance.”

          My lips curl, and we have a dramatic goodbye with the puppy. We continue walking, and arrive at the beach. The sunray looks majestic with a hoard of clouds marching along with it, and I’m busy taking photos.

          “Do you want me to take pictures of you?” Sehun offers.

          “It’s okay, it’s the nature photos I need.” I say, trying every angle I can with my phone. I direct my camera to one side, and it unintentionally has Sehun in it, with his silhouette facing the side. It looks breathtaking, and I hurriedly take the photo. “Hey—I took a great photo of you.”

          Sehun looks at the result, and nods in approval. “Didn’t you say you only need nature photos, though?”

          He laughs, and my face feels hot. “I know! I didn’t do it on purpose, it just looked—looked good.” I stutter. Sehun smiles and walks away.

          We go to an empty dock, but a boat is coming closer and I see two people dragging a bundle of fishnets to the dock. Sehun and I start to leave the dock, but due to the narrow width of the dock, we need extra careful when walking to avoid falling to the sea.

          Sehun wordlessly puts a hand over my shoulders and pulls me close to him, I can feel the outline of his chest on the side of my body. He safely guides me without bumping into the fishermen, and we go back to the sandy ground.

          The obstacle is finished, but why is he still holding me close to him?