Hands

Smoke, Fire and Burnt Things

          Due to the surprise I pull my hand away instantly. “What are you doing?!”

          “Is that heart-fluttering?” Sehun asks, his face is unreadable.

          “No!” I laugh in disbelief. “And you did that awhile ago, it does nothing on me.”

          “You know that one on the street was a pretense.”

          “Then what about this one?”

          “You said you wanted something heart-fluttering.”

          I swallow. I admit I was swayed for a second when we were in the cherry blossom field, but I’ve reprimanded myself and I haven’t felt anything again since. Did he know? Did my actions show? I’ve been careful though.

          “Wow, I can’t believe it.” I shake my head, trying to be cool but in reality I can feel my heartbeat in my throat. “Skinship isn’t the only thing that can make heart flutter! It could be locations, things, or animals.”

          Sehun puts his hand back to behind his head, and laughs. “Well then.”

          Wow, what’s gotten into him? I clench my hand into a fist, and his touch still lingers there.

          For the next minutes we’re only enjoying the sound of the rain, and the park is almost empty, no one comes to the gazebo to take shelter. I thought Sehun was going to fall asleep, but he remains wide awake until the rain stops. “Let’s go.” I hop down from the gazebo. “There are still a lot of places we haven’t visited.”

          “Yes, ma’am.” Sehun stands up and stretches, making his flat stomach peeks from below his clothes. I look away, and close my eyes. This day has been weird.

          We go around the small shops, looking at interesting souvenirs and handmade accessories. Afterwards we enter a traditional market, and visit the snacks section. I choose a mung bean pancake to eat on the go, but Sehun doesn’t buy anything.

          As we go exploring the market, I see that Sehun is carrying all the shopping bags (he insisted) and I take a piece of the pancake. “Here.” I tiptoe a bit, my hand reaches to his mouth level. “To make up your labor.”

          Sehun’s face goes from slightly puzzled, then he forms a small smile and eats what I’m trying to feed him. “Thanks.”

          We continue walking, and Sehun sometimes silently looks to different sides of the area. I’m guessing what he’s thinking. “Don’t worry. I also looked, and there’s no one suspicious in sight.” I try to assure him.

          “You can never be too careful.” Sehun says.

          “You’re here with me.” I say. “And I know some basic taekwondo.”

          At first Sehun looks at me vacantly, then he smiles. We just entered a convenience store when I get a call from Yumi. “Hello?”

          “Nana, where are you?” Yumi’s voice is two pitches higher, and I’m sure I heard a giggle in the end. The event Jinho prepared must have gone well.

          “Oh, you sound happy—I’m shopping with Sehun.”

          “Hehe. Let’s meet in the car park.”

          We go back, and see Yumi and Jinho from afar. Yumi is hugging a big flower bouquet, and Jinho stays next to her with a sheepish smile.

          “Aigoo.” I shake my head. “Do you know how cranky Yumi was last night?”

          Yumi slaps my upper arm, and Jinho laughs. “Sorry to have troubled you. You helped so much too.” Jinho pats Sehun’s shoulder. Sehun just shrugs, and loads the bags to the back of Uncle Yong’s pickup car. “Look at how much Nana bought.”

          “Can’t help it.” I say melodiously. “Let’s go home.”

          Even on the way home, Yumi sits on the back with Jinho, and I look at them through the rear-view mirror. “Aigoo, look at them.”

          Sehun scoffs, and I see that he’s driving with one hand. Wow, he looks cool doing that—Nana, get a grip.

*

          That night Yumi is happily arranging the flower she got, and I watch her in amusement. “So why did you look gloomy yesterday? Was Jinho playing a prank?” I ask.

          “Kind of. So we were taking a walk in the morning, and met the noisy ahjumma we encountered in the village meeting the day before, do you remember her?”

          “Oh, the one who joked that she wanted to make Jinho or Sehun his son-in-law?”

          “Turns out it wasn’t a joke. Yesterday she gave Jinho the offer again, saying she’ll give him two stores in the market if he marries her daughter. She always wanted a son-in-law from Seoul.”

          I raise my eyebrows. “What?”

          “Jinho refused her offer, but I was disappointed that he didn’t say ‘I have a girlfriend’ right away. I mean, I was right there! And he didn’t say anything about the one month commemoration so I resented it more.”

          “Tsk, how could he hesitate like that? Not like himself.”

          “It was a prank anyway, so it’s okay.” Yumi laughs.

          I listen to her telling every detail of Jinho’s surprise earlier today, and I feel a little envious. It must be nice to have a boyfriend, eh?

          The next morning, the four of us are going together to look for locations for our personal projects. The atmosphere is much lively with all of us walking together, sometimes with only two people we have awkward silences. We explore the outskirts of the village, and found a vast sunflower field. I just happen to wear yellow cardigan, and the rest of the group can’t stop teasing me.

          “Nana is disappearing!” Jinho laughs heartily, and Yumi starts taking photos. Sehun is folding his arms on his chest, with a small smirk on his face. We take turns taking photos, and Sehun is currently holding the camera, capturing the other three in goofy poses. We’re having a good time, and as we walk to another area, I’m walking next to Sehun at the back, looking at the photos.

          I’m currently looking at my own solo photos, and Sehun glances over my head. “Oh, pretty.”

          My eyes widen and my body freezes except for my walking legs. Did I hear that wrong? Sehun continues moving without a word, and I’m holding the camera nervously. One word from him and I’m becoming like this.

          We pass by a huge two-storey house next to the road heading to town and stare at it in amazement. We never took a close look of it before, and wonder who the owner might be. Speak of the devil, someone comes out from the house and crosses the spacey yard to approach us. “Kids!”

          “Oh no.” Yumi mutters as we recognize the person coming to us. It’s the ahjumma Yumi told me about. She’s in full makeup with leopard pattern sweater and long striped shirt, and I can’t look away from her blue eyeshadow.

          “Omo, what are you doing in broad daylight like this?” she asks. “This is my house! Let’s get inside and eat something yummy.”

          “We’re okay, thank you. We still have a lot to do.” Jinho politely refuses. The ahjumma shoots him a dirty look. She turns to Sehun and puts her best smile.

          “Look, I still have the offer to be my son-in-law open. My daughter’s is studying in Busan and she’ll be back in a month. Why don’t you stay until then? Since the other one’s got a girlfriend, Yong told me—” she glares at Yumi. “What about you, darling?”

          I try to keep my facial expression normal. She’s really being serious. I turn to see Sehun, curious about the response.

          His forehead wrinkles. “With all due respect, ma’am, I don’t think I can do that. I have no thought in marriage yet.”

          “Darling, your life is guaranteed here. I have multiple stores in the market! And a few lands here and there, of course… Consider about it."

          Sehun displays a thin smile, and bows lightly. “I’m sorry. Then, we’re leaving.”

          Sehun takes my hand, and tightly intertwine my fingers. I’m too surprised to bow, and I have myself pulled forward to walk along him. I hear Yumi and Jinho hurriedly say goodbye too, but then I hear nothing as I walk, my senses are all focused on our united hands. I think my heart is going to burst.