Lighthouse

Smoke, Fire and Burnt Things

          I swallow while feeling the weight and warmth of his hand around my shoulders. If I just shrug it off, will he think I’m being rude? I don’t know how to turn this situation to a playful one. Finally I slowly take his hand and put it down very carefully. "Thanks."

          "Whoops." Sehun says. I cough, and we continue walking.

          The sun is now completely up, and on the way back to the lodging Yumi calls me to inform that she and Jinho are in a traditional eatery nearby for breakfast. When we arrive there, they've secured a table on the back side of the building, which is an open space with sea as the view. "Hey, how could you go without me?" I protest to Yumi as I take a seat. She just gives me a sheepish smile, and I realize something. "...you did it on purpose, didn't you?"

          "Heeere's the menu!" Jinho distracts us as he shoves a menu book to our side of the table. I click my tongue, and start choosing with Sehun who's sitting in front of me.

          We finished our meals, and now the four of us are silently looking at the little waves on the blue sea, with our hairs being swept slowly by the wind. "I want to live like this forever." Sehun mutters. We let out slow hums of affirmation.

          "I was hesitant to stay in the village, but it turned out wonderful. The people are so nice too." Yumi says.

          "Except the high school kids." I grumble. The others weakly sigh.

          "I'm definitely coming back to the village later. What do you guys think?" Jinho says.

          "Good idea." Sehun nods. "I'd like to visit Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Yong and the others later."

          "We should plan this thoroughly." Yumi looks excited. "Maybe we can visit this island again too."

          I'm smiling to myself, imagining the days we have upon us. The sea is making me sentimental. I look at each face of my groupmates, and think of the days after this community service ends. Jinho and I may be in the same class, but we're probably going to join our own circle of friends when we go back to school. The same goes with Yumi and Sehun. It's good that we are making memories like this.

          I feel a finger lightly pushing my forehead, and I'm awaken from my daydream. Amidst the confusion I realize it was Sehun who did it, and Yumi and Jinho are laughing. "Your eyes look empty, another soul will fill you if you're not careful." Sehun shrugs.

          "Aigoo, you—" my hand flies towards him and Sehun avoids my punch just in time. Sometimes he needs a beating.

          We return to the lodging and take our time to rest then prepare for today. We rent a car to go around the island, and we’re going to visit a famous lighthouse monument where we can climb to the very top and enjoy the view from there. It suddenly gets colder nearing noon, and we even decided to make a U-turn to wear extra layer of clothes.

          It’s a struggle in itself to climb the ten-meter high lighthouse all the way to the top, fortunately there aren’t many visitors other than us so we don’t bump into other people that much on the stairs. We all let out collective groans when we finally arrive, and I have no words when I see the spreading blue sea showered with sunlight in front of my eyes. “Wow.” I say under my breath.

          “Glad we didn’t give up halfway.” Sehun says next to me as he uses Jinho’s camera to take pictures. I look down, and see the small waves playfully hitting the bottom of the lighthouse repeatedly. I chuckle, and when I look up, I see the camera lens just inches from my face, followed by a shutter sound.

          “Hey—”

          Sehun looks at the result, and forms a proud face. “It turns out okay.” I try to take the camera, but Sehun lifts the camera up so I can’t reach. “Wait for your turn.”

          My shoulders droop. I look around, and there are only the four of us. I see Jinho and Yumi going to the other side of the lighthouse, and I stay near Sehun to enjoy the sea view. The breeze is really chilly, and I put my hands inside my pocket to warm them up.

          I decide to go inside the light room, and fawn over the huge antique lamp that hasn’t been used in tens of years. But other than that there’s not much to see inside, and I walk over to the other side of the room with the door heading outside. Maybe Jinho and Yumi are on that side of the balcony.

          I’m going leisurely when I see what’s behind the door, and I take a step back immediately. I think I just saw Yumi and Jinho kissing.

          I freeze on my tracks for a second, then turn around quickly but I’m stopped once again because Sehun unknowingly is already in front of me. “What’s wrong?”

          I push him with all my might, and Sehun steps back in confusion. “Wait—what happened?”

          “Sssh.” I try to make him quiet. We return to the part of balcony we stayed at and I warily look inside the light room.

          “Hey, what’s with you, really?”

          “Never mind. Give me that.” I take the camera from his hand, and try to act as if nothing happened by taking random pictures. “Look here, I’ll take your photos.”

          Sehun furrows his brows, but does a few poses anyway. What I saw earlier comes to my mind and my hands turn cold again. What’s wrong with that though? I just saw a couple kissing, that should be completely normal. I think I’m just shocked because I never saw anyone doing it from up close. I put down the camera, and take a deep breath.

          “What did you see though?” Sehun asks.

          “Nothing!” I instantly answer. “Ugh, the wind is so cold, I can’t move my fingers—”

          Sehun takes the camera from my hand and wears the strap around his neck. He grabs both of my hands and starts rubbing them against his. Aside from his action, I’m also surprised by the heat of his hands. “Why—why are your hands so warm?”

          Sehun shrugs. He attentively holds every part of my hands and presses more on my fingers to transfer the temperature. “I guess you’re the weird one, with cold hands. Are you a vampire?”

          “It’s normal in this weather! Look at your lips, they’re freezing!”

          Sehun scoffs, and presses his lips together. I’m looking at our hands, and I think I’m getting too pampered here. I unconsciously look at the veins on the back of his hands. Nana, what are you looking at… Also, my hands are so much smaller than his.

          “Hey, I can’t do this forever.” Sehun says.

          “Then you can stop, no one asks you to—” I try to take my hands back, but he holds them tighter.

          “Wait, your fingertips are still cold.”

          Sehun looks at something over my head, and I turn to see what it is. Yumi and Jinho are staring at us without a word, and I pull my hands away from Sehun as fast as possible.

          “Well… Even while doing something sweet, you guys still bicker, huh…” Jinho says slowly.

          Yumi looks ready to scream, and I hang my head. Why am I the one who got caught instead? “That’s not—my hands were—”

          “We understand.” Yumi holds both of my shoulders. “We support you two.”

          I shake my head, and put my hands back into my pockets. I feel somehow dizzy.

*

          Our island trip is over, and we’re going back to the land with the same boat as yesterday. We’re all staying inside the cabin because the wind is too strong, and after visiting the lighthouse earlier my head feels kind of heavy.

          Yumi and Jinho sits side by side, and they fall asleep leaning to each other not long after the boat started sailing. I look at them emptily, feeling sleepy as well. Sehun sits next to me, looking at the photos from our trip. He doesn’t look tired at all.

          I lean my back to the seat, trying to find a nice position to sleep. I’m facing the ceiling and close my eyes. Again, the buzzing sound helps me to sleep and soon the sounds around me fade.

          The sounds make me awake again, but I’m now leaning to my side, to something soft and warm. I’m starting to smell a particular perfume, and I realize what position I’m at. My blurry sight turns clearer and I’m looking at Sehun’s dark grey jacket.

          I’m trying to sit straight, but my head is spinning and I can’t even lift it. I end up hitting my forehead on Sehun’s upper arm, and I’m staying still to collect my soul with one hand holding onto the seat. It was a nice spot to sleep, but I’m not supposed to be there—

          “It’s okay.” Sehun says, he sounds like he just woke up as well. “Here.”

          He softly uses one hand to pull my head closer to him, and I’m back to his shoulder. The comfortable feeling is making my eyelids heavy, and I’m back into the dreamland.