Seventh

Old Blood New Money
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark was becoming more interested in watching Heiran work than he was at scouting out possible threats. It kept him distracted during the dullest parts of his day.

There was just something about how her entire demeanor changed when she stepped into her office that he couldn't help but notice. She commanded power and demanded respect. People who came to meet with her often kept their gaze averted and never lingered around for more than a few seconds. She spoke sharply and quickly, her words chosen carefully and left the strongest impact. 

He wasn't used to people who carried power without raising a hand or firing a gun.

But what intrigued him the most was when she spoke with other executives, she was relentless but she also knew how to manipulate the men around her, punctuating statements with compliments to distract them long enough to make them agree to her ideas. No matter what backhanded compliment she'd received, she'd just laugh and brush it off, whatever it took for her to get what she wanted, she'd put up with it. She knew exactly what weaknesses people in her own cohort had and she knew exactly how to capitalize on those exact weaknesses to have the men that challenged her, at her mercy.

A big-picture person is what they would call it.  

She'd be dangerous at poker, he concluded. 

He was leaning against the wall of her office next to paintings that looked too pretentious for him, watching her as she reached for her phone to answer yet another call; putting it on speaker. At this point, she had abandoned her chair and just floated around the room, but never too close to him. He hoped this was another manager calling to tell her that they weren't going to meet a deadline. That made her furious, and he loved watching her get furious.

"Hello?" 

A gentile polite voice spoke, “Ms. Seo? This is Ms. Kim, I’m Lucy’s teacher.”

“Oh yes, Ms. Kim, thank you for calling, is everything alright?” She asked, chewing on her lip in worry.

“No, no, sorry if I scared you. Everything is fine, it’s just that there was a gas leak at the school so classes are ending early, Lucy will need to be picked up at 1pm, today.”

Heiran’s eyes widened as she glanced at the slim Rolex sitting on her wrist, "O-Oh, it’s 12:40pm now…”

“Yes, it’s all been very sudden, of course, we will stay with the kids until all the parents get here. I know how busy you can be.”

Her eyebrow twitched at the gentle jab. It was true, that before she hired a driver, Lucy's teachers would find themselves waiting hours with her after school until she could be picked up. She would never get over the passive-aggressive judmental looks she'd always get, “I’ll be there.” 

“Fantas—“

She hung up the phone, shutting her eyes for a moment before she began gathering her things. Mark raised a brow, watching her body wind up, the tension building in her muscles, “We’re really heading out? Is this the best timing?”

He looked over his shoulder where Youngjae strolled in, speaking casually to Eun who kept shooting daggers at him. Most of the people who had been filtering in and out of her office today had been employees panicking and confused about the audit. Youngjae, despite Mark never meeting him, had certainly did his job in striking the fear in everyone. Heiran tensed her jaw, closing her eyes briefly in sweet prayer, and Mark grinned at the sight.

One of these days that woman was going to lose it on some poor er and he hoped he’d be around to witness it.

Opening her eyes, she continued gathering her things, ignoring Youngjae as he walked into her office scrolling through his phone, “Morning, Ms. Seo, I was just letting you know that there’s a meeting in a few minutes with all the executives and department heads regarding their specific client files.” 

She knew what that meant.

They were going to want her SmartLogic files. 

“I need to go pick up my daughter from school.” Heiran said, walking to her jacket, refusing eye contact.

Youngjae smiled, watching her, “Surely you’re not leaving now.”

“Her school lets out in 20 minutes.” She said simply.

Youngjae leaned against her desk and watched her slip her jacket on before looking over at Mark, “Why not send your personal assistant to do it? Isn’t that his entire purpose?”

Heiran’s gaze darted to Mark who already had his eyes on her. Her brows furrowed as they exchanged looks. Youngjae’s smile grew as he watched the two of them stare each other down as if he just suggested they switch bodies for the day. 

“I just don’t think someone as high up as yourself could justify leaving your employees during such a vital time…don’t you agree? Especially since you are in charge of the company’s finances?”

Heiran bit down on the inside of her cheek so hard that she tasted blood before looking at his smarmy face with a sugary sweet fake smile of her own, “How could I not?”

“Fantastic.” He said with a Cheshire grin, “I’ll notify the others that we’ll be seeing you at the executive meeting later today with the rest of my team. I’ll leave you it.”

He turned to leave but stopped next to Mark, tilting his head at the one man that stood out from the other employees. Youngjae lived his life based on facts, statistics and numbers, he never liked anomalies. 

“When did you say you started working for Ms. Seo?” He asked. 

Mark narrowed his eyes, he hated his wide smile and sparkling eyes, they looked too kind for a man whose words were sharp and calculated, “Recently.”

He raised his brows before his eyes fell on the tattoos on Mark’s hands, namely the ones that spelled out GOT7 for a split second before he nodded at him,  "Planning on staying long-term?"

"I'll see where it takes me." He said blandly.

Something glittered in Youngjae's eyes before he nodded curtly and walked out. Mark followed his back with his eyes until Heiran started to move. 

She pulled her car keys out of her pocket and walked over to Mark, pressing them down into his outstretched hand, “I’m screaming bloody murder inside my head.”

“Do I have to pick her up? Can’t you call her an Uber?” He muttered.

She narrowed her eyes at him, “Not funny. Now listen, I’ll send you a picture of her and let her teachers know you’re coming to pick her up. When you find her, tell her I sent you and use our code word, strawberry.”

“You have a code word?”

She gave him a dubious look, “Obviously. Strange Danger 101.”

“Fine. Strawberry, text updates and pick her up. Got it.” He said. 

He was about to pull his hand away when she squeezed it, “P-Please be careful. She’s the most important thing in my life. Don’t let anything happen to her.” 

Mark’s eyes scanned her face, his throat tightening at the utter vulnerability in her expression. It didn’t make sense to him. How could someone allow themselves to be so vulnerable, so weak for another person? “I won’t.”

Heiran chewed on her lip and nodded, dropping her hand to her side. She trailed after him, lingering unsurely by the door as he headed out.

“Bye.”

Mark stopped, mid-step, completely obviously to Eun’s curious stare as he turned to gape at Heiran.

Bye.

What the ?

When did she ever say bye to him? Normally he’d just abruptly walk away or she’d dismiss him condescendingly when they ended conversations with each other. They never said a word to each other when he’d drop her off each night. There would just be the sound of doors slamming shut before she’d walk into her house.

There was never a farewell. 

“B-Bye?” He said back, wincing at how unnatural it sounded to him. 

She gulped the worrying lump down , her brows still knit together, “Come back safe.”

Oh.

The flustered tension in his shoulders relaxed as her sudden concern made sense. Of course, she wanted him to come back safe because he would be with her daughter. He nodded tersely, not realizing how stiff his shoulders got or how he shivered when he was out of her view. 

What an odd feeling, hearing someone wanting you to come back to them, safely. 

-----

He wasn’t sure how long he waited in front of Lucy’s fancy school before getting fed up and going out to find her himself. He was considering planting a tracking chip on her at this rate because he wasn’t going to let this become a reoccurring thing. 

There were better ways for him to spend his time than sitting in his car waiting for some kid. 

He tried the front doors first only to find them locked. He tried peeking inside but the lights were turned off and there wasn’t a soul in sight. He walked around the back of the school, wondering how long it’ll take before security finds a tattooed stranger in all black creeping and what they’d do to him. 

The entire playground was cleared out except for a small group of boys crowding around by the walls. Frowning, he was about to turn away to search elsewhere when he overheard one of the boys.

“Why don’t you ask your rich mommy to give you more lunch money, punk?”

He stared at the little huddle and waited to hear more, “My mom said that you don’t have a dad either and that she’s too young but at least she’s rich. You can pay your fee now, you’re late.”

“Leave me alone!”

Mark raised a brow at the small but furious voice yelled. Sounded about right for a 9-year-old girl.

He stood behind the group, his shadow casting over them as they slowly turned to look over at him. Their eyes widened but they stood their ground, he admired that. He met many people twice and triple their age who couldn’t even look him in the eye. 

Mark glanced over their pudgy shoulders to where a little girl that he’d only seen once in a closet in the middle of the night and once on a missing child poster, stood, rubbing tears off her face. 

Lucy. 

He squinted when she dropped her hand and gripped her arm to cover a blooming reddened rash. Carpet Burns, he used to give them to Jinyoung when they were kids, surely not the most painful thing someone would experience in their life, but ing hell, this just pissed him off. She was outnumbered and out of their weight class. 

At least Jinyoung used to be able to burn him back just as bad.

“Lucy?” He asked. 

She pouted, distrust flashing in her eyes the same way it would her mother’s, “Who are you?”

“Your mother sent me to pick you up.”

She flinched away until he crouched to meet her gaze, “She told me that you like strawberry ice cream.”

Her eyes widened at the code word and she took half a step towards him, she carefully inspected him and it was eerie how similar her mannerisms were to her mother’s. When she saw his tattoos, recognition dusted over her face. 

Jesus, she was so small.  

“See you tomorrow, Lucy, you can pay us then.” 

Mark looked back and watched the boys walk away, cackling like little evil villains as they jostled each other around. 

She’s the most important thing in my life. Don’t let anything happen to her.

He sighed before facing her again, “Did they do that do your arm?”

She covered it with her palm before nodding slowly. Mark’s face darkened as he stood, he looked around before finding an abandoned soccer ball in the corner. He grabbed it and took a few steps towards the boys before punting the soccer ball in their direction. 

Lucy watched in awe as the ball sailed in a perfect arch before it smacked the ringleader in the back of the head, sending him tumbling forward. The entire group was stunned but when they turned, Mark was storming towards them and terror-filled their faces. 

Before the one on the ground could stand, Mark had made it over to them and grabbed him by the backpack and lifted him off the ground so that his feet couldn’t reach the ground. 

“Are you the one that hurt her?” His voice was quiet but deep, almost a growl, and it sent a chill through the boys. 

He gulped, the bravado from earlier long gone, “W-What?”

“Oh, you can’t talk now? You had a ing mouthful to say when you were stealing from that girl.” 

“We weren’t stealing!” One of them piped up. 

Mark’s eyes slide over to the other boy and he immediately shrunk back down under his scorching stare. He dropped the boy back to the ground and stepped towards the ground of them, “Taking something that isn’t yours is stealing. I know because I’ve dealt with a lot of thieves at work.”

“A-At work?” The third one whimpered, “Are you a police officer?”

Mark grinned, his teeth looking a lot more like the fangs of a predatory animal, “No kid, I’m the opposite. I kill people for a living. I kill people who steal from me and my bosses and guess what?”

“What?” One whispered. 

His grin grew, “Lucy’s mom is my boss.” 

“Are you going to kill us?” Another one asked, fear lining his eyes. 

Mark shrugged, “That’s up to you.”

“You’re lying.” 

He titled his head at the boy he had hit with the ball. Looks like someone was getting brave. He glanced back at Lucy who was watching from far away. 

Mark reached into the back of his jeans and pulled out his gun before holding it up. 

Heiran never had a rule about showing other kids his weapons. “Think I’m lying now? I used this yesterday. Killed a guy the day before. I know how to punish people who steal and trust me, it’s a lot easier to bury a kid.”

Their eyes were wide with horror as they stared at the sleek black metal in his hand, “So how about we try this again? I’m going to bring Lucy over here, you’re going to tell her that her payment was a mistake and that you’re going to pay her back all the money you took from her and then you’re going to apologize. How does that sound?”

“S-Sounds g-good.” One stuttered out. 

Mark beamed before tucking the gun back in, “Good decision. Oh, and if you ever lay the ing hand on her again, I’m going to chop your fingers off one at a time.”

They were rooted to the ground as Mark walked over to Lucy and knelt down to her height, he opened his mouth to explain the situation when she cut him off. 

“They’re going to apologize, right?”

He stared at her, stunned at the expectant tone. “Yeah, they are.”

“Good.” He just watched her, baffled, as she held her head high, her arms crossed indignantly over her chest as she strutted towards the group of boys who took a step back when she stopped in front of them. 

Mark just stood slowly, gaping at her as he watched the embarrassed and scared boys duck their heads and mumble out hurried apologies. Lucy said something to them and they all nodded before casting Mark a nervous look and sprinting out of the playground. 

Lucy spun on her heel and skipped over to Mark, as if everything was made of rainbows and puppies. She laced her hands behind her back and smiled up at him, her entire face brightening. 

Suddenly the nickname Sunshine made a lot more sense. 

“You’re my favourite.”

Mark stared back at her, his face completely blank, “Favourite what?”

“Favourite butler.” 

His eye twitched at the title and resisted the urge to snap at her. A butler? Was she out of her tiny little ing brain? 

She stretched her hand out and waited, wiggling her little fingers. 

He quirked a brow, “Can I help you?”

“Mom said I need to hold an adult's hands whenever I’m walking.” She explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. 

He scoffed and nodded his head in the direction of his car, “I don’t think so, I’m already running late. Start marching.” 

Lucy pouted before gripping her backpack straps and walking alongside Mark. “Do those kids normally do that to you?”

“Sometimes, they’re meaner to the smaller kids though.”

He couldn’t believe there were people smaller than her.

Mark slid his hands into his jacket pockets. He wondered if Heiran knew what was happening to her daughter. 

He glanced at her from the side of his eyes. The silence was suffocating, he couldn’t remember the last time he was around a child. He had no clue how to act or what people their age liked or needed. All he wanted was to break every law of the road to get to her house as fast as possible and throw her at Heiran. 

He opened the passenger side door for her and waited for her to climb in but she just frowned, “Mom said I’m not old enough for the front.”

Mark closed his eyes with a sigh before slamming the door shut and opening the one to the back. He then watched Lucy struggle for about 10 seconds trying to climb into the jeep that Heiran insisted he take, before just grabbing her by the hood and lifting her into the seat.

He didn’t bother buckling her in and just closed the door before getting into the driver’s seat. He let out a huge sigh of relief as he the car and began driving towards Heiran’s house. Almost free.

“My name is Lucy Seo, by the way.” She chirped from the back seat.

He glanced at her through the mirror before looking back at the road, “Mark.” 

“Hi, Mark! I can’t wait to be best friends!”

Lord, save me now. 

-----

She was like a windup toy with no end. 

The drive from Lucy’s school to her house took exactly 25 minutes and Lucy hadn’t stopped talking for a single one. Mark never responded to her, not even with a non-committal grunt, but that didn’t sway her. 

She was practically having a conversation with herself and she couldn’t have seemed happier as she chattered on about her day. He didn’t know how Heiran or anyone else put with it. It was incessant. 

“And then I told her that if the Lochness Monster was fake, how do all those old pictures exist?”

He wasn’t even sure how they got on this topic. 

Wanting to end her nonstop rant, he dialed Heiran’s number into the touchscreen and wasn’t surprised when she picked up on the first ring, “Mark? Did you pick her up? Is everything okay? Did you find her alright?” 

“Mommy!” Lucy cheered, nearly leaping out of her seat.

Mark flinched at her ear pricing shriek before keeping his eyes trained on the road, “She’s fine. Am I taking her home or to your office?”

“Home. I still need to be here for a few hours.” 

“Fine, I’ll drop her off and then come around.”

“Mom? Can me and Mark get ice cream?” Lucy asked, leaning so far forward that her seat belt was straining against her chest. 

He heard Heiran scoff, “She’s already talking to you like you’re her friend. No, sunshine, no ice cream, you haven’t had dinner yet and it’s a school night. Mom’s going to be a little late tonight, but we’ll have dinner together, okay?”

“You’re always working late.”

Heiran fell silent and Mark found himself focusing on the road in front of him with so much concentration as if doing so would avoid him overhearing this conversation.

Heiran finally let out a resigned sigh, “I’m sorry, sunshine, I’ll try and come early tonight. Until then, Mark’s going to watch you, okay?”

“Like hell, I am.” He muttered. 

Her tone came out in a harsh hiss, “Language.”

He huffed, “It’s not my job, duchess.” 

“Please. I’m going to be tied up here, it’s easy, just keep an eye on her, make her a snack and then just let her play or watch tv or something.” 

“I’m supposed to be prioritizing you.” He shot back.

Her breath caught before she spoke, “I’ll be in the office for the next bit, I’m not going anywhere, just pick me up when I’m done. I’ll be fine until then.”

“I can’t believe I’m doing this. I ing hate you.” He hissed, whispering ‘ing’ so that Lucy couldn’t hear. 

“Thank you.” She replied genuinely. 

He pulled into her driveway and opened the door after killing the engine, still holding his phone. He got out and walked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter