Twentythird

Old Blood New Money
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heiran had woken up throughout the night to make sure Mark was still curled around her. 

It was a relief to find him with his face tucked into her neck and his arm bound around her waist, holding her firmly against his chest. She wanted to cry at how euphoric it all made her feel, every moment. From the way, he made the entire night about her and bringing her a type of ecstasy that no one could ever compete with to how he held her the second it was over like there was nothing more valuable to him than her. 

He touched her like he knew everything that made her tick as if all the time they had spent together had allowed him to study her. The Mark she was used to, spoke teasingly, withholding parts of himself he wasn’t ready to share. He was snarky and tough, refusing to be broken down easily. He could be hard to read and sometimes infuriatingly evasive. 

But the Mark that laid her down and made sure his mouth reached every inch of her skin was far different. Praise and affection poured out of his mouth with ease, never sparing with telling her beautiful he thought she was or how grateful she was for being with him. His eyes were warm, his lips were soft and his touch painted her red.

He made her feel beautiful in a way unlike when she’d smile at herself after doing her makeup. He made her feel like she wasn’t human. 

She still didn’t fully understand what happened tonight or how she felt about him, she wanted to stay like this forever. She wanted to sear every second from last night into her memory.  

Heiran turned into his hold, pressing her nose against his collarbone, breathing him in while running her hands down his chest, trying to imprint all his tattoos in her mind. He was still asleep but he shifted to accommodate the change in her position, his hand drifting into her hair and his other draping over her waist.

But when she woke up again by the glare of the sun, Mark was gone as were his clothes and the indent where his body was. Her chest felt empty but she knew that she couldn’t hold it against him. He said that it was for one night and she had agreed. It was probably better this way. She didn’t have to face him or the feeling of him pulling away from her body and stepping away from her. 

He was gone before she could miss him. 

It was smarter this way.

Heiran winced, a wonderful pulse surged through her body as she stood. She made quick work of washing up and changing, not letting her gaze linger on the mirror for too long. She didn’t want to notice a glow. 

And she didn’t want to notice how badly she missed Mark and maybe this entire thing was a mistake because now that she knew what he felt like under and over her, she couldn’t pretend that she didn’t. It was going to be hard to look him in the eye knowing what he looked like when he peaked or hearing him talk to her without mumbling baobei or her name.

She picked out her outfit ensuring she wasn’t wearing white and was wearing silk.

She stepped out of her room just as Lucy did, the two of them locking eyes. Heiran smiled, silently holding her hand out so that Lucy could race over, tucking her fingers into hers. “Hi, sunshine.”

Lucy grinned, pure and wonderful, “Hi, mom. Breakfast?”

Heiran glanced at her watch, “I’m running late so we might have to pick something up on our way. Is that okay?”

Lucy nodded quickly, probably excited that she was most likely going to get a donut. Heiran walked hand in hand with her daughter, swinging their hands as they walked down the stairs. Heiran kept her eyes on their feet, making sure they didn’t trip when she took a step forward and felt a tug on her hand. She paused and glanced back where Lucy stood frozen, refusing to budge as she stared at the foot of the steps. 

Heiran followed her gaze and felt stomach drop at the sight in front of her. 

Mark was leaning against the back of the couch, dressed in the clothes from last night, hinting that he probably never left her house, but chose to not be there when she woke. His arms were crossed over his chest and he had a scowl on his face as he stared at the other man standing next to him. 

Jaebum. 

He was dressed in a long coat and a button-up shirt, his polished shoes probably cost more than most people’s yearly income. Heiran immediately snapped her gaze to Lucy. She had no idea how the little girl would react to seeing Jaebum. 

They barely spoke about him, Heiran wasn’t even sure if Lucy fully remembered how much she had loved Jaebum and how inconsolable she had been when she found out that he was no longer going to be coming around to spend time with her.

Sensing their presence, both men looked at the two of them, frozen at the top of the stairs. Jaebum cleared his throat and she glanced back over at them. Her eyes barely glazed over him when they landed on Mark. The minute their eyes locked, his scowl melted into a small smile, his gaze softening. She wondered if he was thinking about last night. About how they fit together like a puzzle and every sensation, every explosion knocked the breath out of both of them. 

She wanted to walk into his arms and press her face into his neck. She craved his touch so much it felt unbearable. Why did she think that one night would be enough for her? Why didn’t she think about how this was going to make her already complicated feelings worsen?

“What…What’s happening?” She asked nervously, squeezing Lucy’s hand.

Mark eyed Jaebum, “Looks like you have two rides today.”

Jaebum tilted his head at Lucy with a wide smile, “Hi kiddo. Miss me?”

Heiran stiffened and before she could comfort Lucy, the girl tore out of her hand and raced down the stairs. Heiran couldn’t move, scared. Jaebum crouched with a smile, ready to lift her in his arms, but before he could hold his arms open, Lucy ran straight to Mark, clutching the leg of his jeans and pressing her face into it, to hide.

Mark stilled, staring at the little girl before slowly caressing the back of her head soothingly, “Want to ride with me?”

Lucy nodded and cowered when Jaebum stood. “I guess I deserve that.”

Mark looked at Heiran who looked distressed. “Duchess? I can take both of you if you want.”

“I’ll go with Jaebum.” She said, still refusing to move from the stairs. 

Mark’s brows furrowed before his face fell blank, “Right. Okay.”

Jaebum grinned, “Then let’s go, Seo. I’m parked out front.”

She gulped and nodded, “I’ll meet you outside.”

He hesitated before nodding, casting Lucy one more smile and left out the door. Mark also turned to leave when she finally pulled her feet off the ground and hurried down the stairs. 

“Wait.”

He shook his head, “You don’t need to explain anything to me.”

“I do.” She breathed out. “Lucy, can you go put your shoes on?”

The girl looked bothered but peeled off of Mark anyways. Once she was far enough away, Heiran turned to Mark, “I need to talk to him before we get to the courthouse. I need to…figure out." 

“Okay.” Mark said simply, “I’ll drop Lucy off and meet you both there.”

She bit down a whine, she hated that he was so good at acting like nothing had happened and held onto his arm. His head dropped and he clenched his jaw, “We said one night.”

“I don’t want one night, anymore.” She whispered. 

He looked at her, exasperated, “You’re about to marry someone else.”

“Do you regret it?” She asked.

He laughed darkly, “Yeah. Because I thought one night would be enough but all it did was make me want you more. Every day. Always.”

“Me too.” She said softly. 

He softened and cupped her cheek, “The reality is, without this marriage, I wouldn’t have ever made a move on you. I wouldn’t make your life complicated like that. I wouldn’t expect you to fit me in. When this whole thing blows over when every threat against you is gone, I’ll be out of your hair for good and you’ll move on. You’re going to have a better life with Lucy. I know it. Meanwhile, I’ll be thinking about last night until I die.”

“Mark.” She muttered. She didn’t know what to say. That if he just gave up his entire found-family, his entire career, livelihood, lifestyle, that she’d be willing to make it work? Would she be? And if they did decide to date, what if they broke up? What if she made him throw his entire life away for no reason? What exactly could she ask of him? What could she promise him?

Nothing. 

Which was why he was right to leave last night in the past and not trying to turn it into something more. 

She couldn’t ask him to give anything up for her. 

“Come on, baobei.” He said affectionately, “Let’s get you married.”  

-----

“Why does Mark call you duchess?”

Heiran didn’t look at Jaebum and just sat stiffly next to him, “I don’t know. He's just always used that name.”

“You gave me hell just for calling you Seo.” He said with a small smile. 

She rolled her eyes, “Because it reminded me of my dad.”

“Right…. I’m sorry.” He muttered. “I’ll stop.”

Her shoulders were cramping from the tension in them, “Whatever, there’s no point changing it now.”

“I keep messing up around you, don’t I?” He asked softly. 

She finally turned to look at him, “Giving me an ultimatum to marry you certainly doesn’t help.”

He slowed the car, pulling off to a side road, “Heiran, if you don’t want this, I don’t want to force you.”

“Just keep driving.” She said softly, looking away. “Things are never going to be easy with us. There’s always going to be the history and animosity. There’s no point in trying to fix it. Right now, all I care about is keeping myself and Lucy alive.”

He sighed, “Look, I will try to make you happy, I’ll do everything I can to make this work for both of us.”

Heiran didn’t say much after. Sitting in Jaebum’s car felt similar to when she first sat in Mark’s car. Tense and unfamiliar. She wished she just agreed to go with Mark but even though she couldn’t stand Jaebum, a part of her felt bad seeing him get rejected by Lucy and didn’t want to reject him for a second time.

She stared out the window, her mind floating to Mark, daydreaming about last night. The memories of his hands sliding under her skirt and his mouth pressed against flooded over her with a tantalizing warmth. It all felt like a dream, that a man who always hovered over her like a shadow, filling her with his presence but never his touch, had kissed her with a type of passion that made her knees weak. 

She still couldn’t believe it happened. 

“You and Mark are close, aren’t you?” 

Heiran flinched at Jaebum’s voice and wondered if maybe she had said Mark’s name out loud but he kept his gaze on the road, “Yeah, we are. He’s been with me for 6 months now? Yeah.”

“Been with you?”

She gulped, “Like, protected me.”

Jaebum nodded, his brows creased together, “I never thought he’d be a fan of kids but clearly Lucy is attached to him.”

“What do you mean?” She asked with a frown.

He glanced at her, “Huh? Oh, just that he was never really the nurturing type. I guess he’s different around you.”

“How do you know him? You talk like you two go way back.” 

Jaebum blinked, “He never told you?”

“Uh…no. I sorta figured you two knew each other based on how he acted when you came to my office but he didn’t really elaborate.” 

Jaebum’s lips lifted and he shook his head, “Me and Mark were really close. There’s a reason he was tasked to look after you when I became a threat. If I was anyone else, your dad would’ve sent one of the other GOT7 guys.”

“How? When would your paths have crossed?” She asked.

He pulled into the courthouse parking lot before killing the engine. He turned and looked at her, “If I told you, he’d go on a rampage. You’re going to have to ask him yourself.”

She huffed and looked at him, “Wow, not even married yet and you’re already keeping secrets.”

Jaebum grinned and opened his door, “Let’s go and make it official, then my secrets become your secrets, Seo."

-----

It wasn’t a grande affair. 

You couldn’t even call it a wedding. Not that she was particularly bothered by it.

There were no flowers, no white dress, no cake, no fanfare. 

Once Mark met them at the courthouse, they let a clerk read their vows as they barely made eye contact with Mark as the witness. Jaebum pulled out a set of rings that she didn’t even know he had and then shared a dry kiss before picking up their license from the floor above them.

They managed to get married before most people went out from their lunch break.

She always assumed that after you got married, you’d feel different. But she felt exactly the same. The three of them congregated in the lobby of the courthouse and Heiran struggled to make eye contact with any of them. 

Jaebum, her ex who was now her new husband. 

Mark, who she couldn’t stop thinking about sleeping with.

“What now?” She asked. 

Jaebum stared at the marriage certificate in his hands while slipping his pen into his pocket, “Nothing now. I’ll get my people to start spreading the word that we’re married and that you’re officially off-limits. I’m sure your father will do the same.“

Heiran stared at the wedding band on her finger, “Okay, I guess.”

“Do you want to get coffee or something?” Jaebum asked softly. 

How bizarre, most newlyweds want to consummate their marriage, meanwhile, they couldn’t even get lunch together. 

“I don’t think that’s the best idea.”

Jaebum looked dejected but he tried to smile, “Then, I’ll take you home.”

She opened to reject the offer but Mark cut in, “Yeah, drive her home. I need to go by the office anyways.”

Heiran looked at him desperately, he had been silent the entire time he was there, just standing where he needed to, signing whatever documents were handed to him. She didn’t know wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter