Part 8

Give Me Love

"This feature will enhance the credibility of the game. The users will be able to make alliances once they share the same battleground."

"How will the game detect the users?"

"This is the catch of the game. It can scan the fighting strategies of the individual and match it with their own."

Oh Sae Ri was met with loud applauds and impressed faces after her presentation ended. She felt her insides jumping with happiness and her smile reflected all the excitement.

"Thank You." She bowed her head and smiled at the Board before taking her seat at the table.

"I must say you never fail to match our expectations Miss Oh. This company wouldn't have made this far if you hadn't joined us. Thank you for accepting this opportunity." The CEO of her company, Mr. Daniel never stopped complimenting her skills. She was a bit embarrassed when all the people focused their attention on her but she never complained. Who didn't like appreciation?

"I would like to thank you for having me, sir. This is the best thing I have ever done in my life."

"How did the presentation go?" A blonde female approached Sae Ri while munching cookies. "Let me guess, Mr. Daniel told you how great it was to have you on board. He couldn't stop complimenting and he wants you to become the CEO." Amelia spoke while having cookies, spitting bits of it as she spoke. This was her habit. She would ask a question from Sae Ri and answer it herself. "Yes, you're right but the last part would be a dream come true." Amelia giggled and spun on her chair to get back to her work. "Hey! Suho called. He wanted to check up on you. I told him that you were fine. He is so cute. His English is so good. Is all of your family good at speaking English? I think I'm in love with Suho. Can I marry him?" Amelia puckered her lips and blinked her eyes cutely at Sae Ri making the latter cringe. "You can't marry him. He is getting married next month. As much as I ship you two, he is never going to be yours." Sae Ri crossed her arms and leaned against her table. "Ouch. Your words hurt. Anyways, are you going? I hope you are not planning to not go to his wedding, are you?" Amelia scanned her best friend and saw her uneasy expression and fidgeting.

"Oh my God! You are planning not to go, aren't you?"

"I don't know. I'm not sure. There will be a lot of people there. Moreover, I can't leave my work here." Sae Ri reasoned and sat on her chair and decided to go back to work, trying to avoid the conversation.

"Those are just excuses. I know why you are not going to his wedding. It's because of him, isn't it?" Amelia's words stopped Sae Ri from doing whatever she was. Her eyes lost their sheen and the smile vanished from her face.

"You don't need to hold yourself back because of him, Sae Ri."

"I know."

It's been eight months since Sae Ri arrived in America and she can't get used to it. Everything was so different here. She faced a little bit of difficulty in communicating when she came here but the attention she paid in English's class paid off. To survive she had to depend on people and depending on people meant to trust and she had lost trust in trust itself. It took her time to settle down here and blend in with the people but when she met Amelia everything became easier. They started on the wrong foot with Sae Ri being rude to her but then they hit it off. They shared their pain and happiness and became the best friends they are now. The duo was inseparable and together, they could rule the world. They even came up with a whole bucket list for best friends and they follow it religiously. It was through such meaningful relationships one understands that the world isn't as bad as it looks. There are murders, thefts, betrayals, gossips, blood sure, but there are also rainbows, buds, dew drops, smiles, love.

Sae Ri has changed. She has stopped fearing herself, her life, and her parents. Sometimes all we need is a share of the clock for ourselves to reach out to the unexplored inside us, the better versions of ourselves and some time to find who you are. Sae Ri needed some distance after whatever happened with her. She needed the time to know who she is and what she wants. She did choose to come to America impulsively but she doesn't regret it. It just gave her exactly the opportunity. She came here to know herself, earn something for herself and forget him. It was true that she couldn't ever forget him. He would enter her dreams as an uninvited guest and tell her how much he missed her. She could never tell if those were dreams or nightmares.

Sae Ri discovered the true Sae Ri here. Sae Ri discovered her love for marshmallows and for burgers here. She never knew sunsets could be so beautiful and sunrises could give competition to the former. The Sae Ri she discovered was a huge fan of football and superhero movies. She loved spending time wandering in forests and walking on beaches. She loved spending time in her enclosed room and watching the stars. She loved watching cooking shows and trying new recipes (which usually ended up as disasters). She finally met who she really was and she couldn't be any happier. She was working at a successful multi-national company; her best friend was literally the best friend in the world and she had moved on but sometimes there was a feeling of hollowness in her chest like a missing piece fell off her and is lost now.

 

"I heard you called." Sae Ri spoke on the phone, her concentration focused on the spaghetti she was making for dinner.

"I did. How's everything?" Suho asked her the same question every day whenever they talked. He was a robot who repeated the same question again and again.

"It's going good. I had my presentation today that everybody loved. Everyone will begin to work on the game next week. It might take more than a month to complete it and launch it. Enough about me how's the preparation for the wedding going Mr. Groomy?"

She was pretty sure that Suho could imagine her wiggling her eyebrows. "The wedding preparations are going at full speed. Invitations have been sent, dishes have been chosen and Mia still has to book the band for the wedding. Rest everything has been done."

Sae Ri nodded in admiration and became silent not knowing what to say. "Please tell me that you are coming. Mia is so excited to see you and mom wants to meet you more than anyone else." Sae Ri bit her lower lip and heaved a deep sigh. "I-I.....I will try. Next month is going to be very busy for all the employees and I'll have to send the request before."

"You have to be here Sae Ri. I want my sister to be next to me on the most special day of my life. I know how hard it is going to be for you to come here and I don't want to force you to do something you won't like but I don't want to regret not having you with me. You can come on the same day and leave at night but please be there, for me."

Suho's love for Sae Ri was immeasurable. This love was worth the stars and their love for each other was so beautiful. Nobody could ever turn them against each other. Suho had always loved her more than he loved himself. He would treat her like a princess and was no less than a father for her.

"Alright, but you'll have to buy me at least a castle for this."

"Forget it. Don't come here at all."

 

The music was deafening and the crowd was on fire. It was clearly a place for the people who wanted to party but there sat one soul near the bar and had been drinking for as long as he could remember. His slender fingers were wrapped around the glass as he chugged another drink. His friends kept calling him but he ignored rather, he wasn't aware of it. His occupation with his melancholy made him oblivious about his surroundings. All he remembers is that his friends brought him here to loosen up and clear his head. His arrival here was rather forceful as all he wanted was to be left alone. His senses were overflowing with alcohol and he knew this. The truth is that humans bring ruination upon themselves.

A hand grabbed his hand and restrained him from taking down another drink. "You need to stop this Baekhyun," Suho advised Baekhyun and took the glass away from Baekhyun. "Leave me alone," Baekhyun muttered clearly annoyed by the fact that someone took away something from him. Baekhyun massaged his temples and ordered another drink. "She is coming to my wedding." Baekhyun stopped moving, his breath hitched in his throat and his face showed no expressions. It was evident he was trying to control his emotions no matter how deeply he was influenced by the news. "I guess you don't want me to be there." Baekhyun clutched the glass in hand trying to hold back the emotions taking over him. "No, Baekhyun. I want you there. I want you two to talk and sort out the things. You have to tell her how you feel." Baekhyun chewed on his bottom lip trying to picture her face in his mind. No matter how drunk he was, he would effortlessly remember every detail of her face, how she walked, how she hid her smile, how she cried. He remembered everything about her. He knew that she was better now and successful with people she trusted around her making him happy. He was sure that Sae Ri wouldn't be pleased to see this bitter man again and he didn't want to cause her pain anymore.

"I guess I won't be coming to your wedding anymore now."

 

Sae Ri felt overwhelmed when she stepped on her motherland's soil. The air of Korea is nothing like that of America and carried a gust of nostalgia with it. Her footsteps were slow trying to take in her surroundings. It was nice to see Asians who speak Korean after eight months. Her face glowed when she spotted a familiar figure and ran towards him, tackling him in a warm embrace. She breathed in his scent and nuzzled her nose in his shoulder. "I missed you." Suho giggled and pulled away from the hug to scan her face. "You look ugly." Sae Ri playfully slapped him making him chuckle.

"Where is Mia? I want to meet my sister-in-law."

Mia was just as beautiful as she looked in the pictures. Sae Ri had imagined her to be perfect and she was just as Suho described her. A ten minutes conversation with Mia made Sae Ri fall in love with her. "You are so lucky to fall in love with her. She is perfect and most importantly, she's hot." Sae Ri whispered to Suho earning a priceless look from him. "America changed you completely. Where's my little sister?" Sae Ri giggled and continued teasing him. "You should rest. You need to be up early tomorrow. Now go on and sleep sound. I'll meet you tomorrow." Suho kissed her forehead and dropped her at her room in the hotel they had booked for the wedding.

The first thing that Sae Ri did was lying flat on the bed. She changed into more comfortable clothes while lying on the bed not even bothering to get up and closed her eyes. A knock on the door disturbed her and with an annoyed look on her face, she went to open the door.

"Who is-"

"Sae Ri."

Sae Ri clutched on the doorknob as her legs felt wobbly after seeing the very familiar figure she had only seen in her dreams in the last eight months. She got a taste of swarm of emotions, sweet and bitter making her feel vulnerable. She didn't know what to say so she just stood there waiting for not knowing what. He looked different, completely different. His eyes looked dull and his smile reflected pure sadness. He looked as shocked as Sae Ri was. Baekhyun just couldn't tear his gaze away from the beautiful female standing in front of him. In contrast to him, she looked more beautiful before with her hair led down and her eyes looked brighter than before. She looked healed and stronger. She resembled a fully bloomed flower, the sun in winter, the rainbow in the rain and the pink color of the sunset.

"I'm sorry, I must have knocked at the wrong door." Baekhyun's voice almost croaked while talking to her and immediately walked away from there before he would want to hug her and crave her. He ran to his room and shut the door behind him. He threw himself on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Tears ran down his cheeks as he took walk on the memory lane remembering everything he did to her, everything he missed about and every lie he told her.

"I missed you Sae Ri."

Baekhyun whispered to himself whishing deep inside he would get to see her again and pause time this time.