Part 7

Give Me Love

This was all wrong. Baekhyun was an idiot. He hadn't thought this through. Heck, why did he even have to think this? It was not right and he was aware of that since the beginning. He is no less than her parents. He took advantage of her feelings, he hurt her, and he lied to her. It doesn't matter now that he has stopped putting on a show but he did before and it's wrong. He had to tell her. He had to make it right. She has the right to know the truth. She has every right to kill him by now. He never should have thought of writing such a story. He was ashamed of himself. He couldn't look her in the eyes. He has to put an end to this before his feelings get any deeper for her.

"Do you even play it?"

Sae Ri pressed random keys of the piano trying to make sense of the beats. "I do. I took piano lessons when I was in high school." Baekhyun sat beside her and placed his slender fingers on the keys. He played an unfamiliar melody and sang along. Sae Ri had never seen him singing and now that she did, she didn't want him to stop. His voice had that magic, warmth, and feeling of home. It was so strong yet soft and so euphonious. She had never seen someone or heard someone sing musical notes so effortlessly and beautifully. He was most definitely doing justice to the music. Sae Ri stared at him shamelessly as his eyes were closed. She minutely examined his facial features which were ethereal for a human. The color of his lips was the most romantic shade of pink and his cheeks shone with white and pink. His moles made him look so adorable that her fingers almost drew imaginary lines connecting them.

When Baekhyun slowly opened his eyes, Sae Ri felt that she was in a daze. His voice had sent into another dimension, where it was just the two of them.

"That was.....surreal."

Her words made Baekhyun chuckle who was trying to hide his pink cheeks from her.

"You can learn to play it too. It's very easy. Just place your fingers here." He took her hand and positioned her fingers on some selected keys. Sae Ri's breath got caught in when Baekhyun's finger made contact with hers. She was still not used to Baekhyun's touch. Baekhyun's fingers were on the keys, his hands brushing against hers.

"Follow me."

He played on white key and Sae Ri aped his movements. Baekhyun kept on playing the different keys and Sae Ri followed his fingers with a little difficulty.

"You're doing well. Now try playing them together."

He played all the keys simultaneously making it hard for her to follow him. She tried to play them all together but it came out as different notes resonating as a very out-of-tune rhythm. Her confused expression made Baekhyun giggle.

"Try playing them slowly. One key at a time, followed by the other."

Sae Ri nodded her head and followed his movements. She played the notes slowly, taking her time. Once successful, she tried to increase her speed with every turn. She played them simultaneously smiling when she was successful.

"I did it."

Baekhyun ruffled her hair startling her. She felt...safe and comfortable when she was with him. She glared at him when he had ruined her properly combed hair making him scared. He straightened her hair evenly and tucked the strands behind her ear coming closer to her face in the process. Her eyes had lost their way and didn't know where to focus on.

"All done." He finally placed her hairband back on her head and there it was his toothy smile.

Baekhyun decided not to tell her again that day. His reason, because she was happy.

 

Baekhyun wanted to make this night perfect. He fluffed the cushions and straightened the blanket. He had noticed that his roommate preferred nachos over popcorn. He made serious efforts to make this night perfect. He didn't even know what kind of movies she liked, heck, he didn't even know if she likes movies. He had called Suho trying to draw out information he could about her taste in movies and he discovered she loved animated movies, something they had in common. He had carefully selected a movie for the night hoping she would like it. The bright yellow string of lights and glasses of wine made the air romantic in the room.

The opening of the lock snapped him out his daze and rushed towards the door. There she was looking exhausted and dull after working hard. "How was your day?" Baekhyun leaned against the wall watching her take in the surroundings in awe. "Did you do this?" She completely ignored his previous question. Baekhyun wouldn't blame her. He might have gone too overboard. The living room looked a bit too extravagant with all the lights and decorations that Baekhyun had arranged. "I thought you might like watching a movie together. It is fine if you don't want to. You must be tired." He had no idea what he was talking about. He had worked hard for this and he sincerely hoped that she wouldn't say no to him.

"I would love to watch a movie."

"Frozen, seriously?"

"What? It's a good movie. Don't judge me. I am a soft man." Baekhyun's answer made her giggle. Her contagious giggle made him chuckle too. He played the movie and grabbed his bucket of popcorn.

That day too Baekhyun couldn't tell her the truth. His reason, well he had already cried after watching the movie and didn't want to cry more.

 

"This is how you play it. You ready?"

"I am always ready."

Baekhyun puffed his chest and imitated the action of flipping his hair making Sae Ri shake her head. "I'm warning you, I'm the best at games. Don't tell this to anyone but I was the best in my-Oh, my God! How could you do that to me?" Baekhyun gasped in disbelief and kept on babbling on and on about how it was unfair that Sae Ri could kill his character and how this game was so unfair.

"This game is so unfair. Who came up with the idea for this game?"

"I did."

"This game is so good. I love how you can kill my character and get away with it."

Who needed background music when one can hear Baekhyun's whining? He sighed in disbelief when his player died by a final blow from Sae Ri. "I want a rematch." Baekhyun crossed his arms across his chest and glared at her. Sae Ri resisted the urge to hug him and kiss his cheek and shrugged her shoulders. "This is not fun at all. Let's make a bet. If I win, you'll do whatever I'll say and if you win, I'll do whatever you'll say." Baekhyun send a challenging look towards Sae Ri. "I don't think we should bet." Sae Ri suggested and sat down on the couch. "Please, it'll be fun. I promise." Baekhyun widened his eyes and pouted, trying to resemble a puppy and be cute to compel his roommate to surrender to his wish but the truth was, he was already a human puppy so he didn't even have to try.

"Fine. But just once."

History repeated itself that day when Baekhyun again didn't tell her the truth. His reason, he was busy playing the game.

 

"Thank you for considering me, sir."

Sae Ri hung up the call and sighed. For a moment she thought that she had taken the wrong decision but she can't do what has been done. It was a big deal to her. It's not every day one gets an opportunity to work in a huge game company in America. She felt honored that they somehow approached her out of several employees working at her company. She just declined a huge opportunity offered by a multi-national company and she didn't know why she did that. She was comfortable with her life here in Korea and was more than satisfied with what she had achieved. Moreover, she had many people she cared about here. People who made her smile, who made her happy and people whom she didn't want to leave. Baekhyun was one of them, whether she wanted to acknowledge this or not. She had grown quite attached to the man and his antics. Was it the man that she liked or the feeling when she was with him? She couldn't tell. Perhaps, it was both of the things that she liked.

She slapped herself to stop thinking of the things she still didn't want to get into and decided to send her presentation file to her senior. Her laptop was broken so she would have to use Baekhyun's but then that would mean she would have to interact with him which seemed the most beautiful as well as the most difficult task in hand for her. "It'll just be small talk. I'll ask him and he'll lend me his laptop. Nothing to be worried about." She spoke to herself and walked over to his room. The man opened the door after three knocks on the door. His hair was disheveled and he donned a pair of spectacles.

"Did I disturb you?" She asked when she saw a book in his hands. "No. It's alright." Baekhyun's eyes seemed sad so did his smile.

"I wanted to borrow your laptop. I had a report to send to my senior. Mine's not working."

"Yeah, sure." He went inside his room and carried the laptop in his hands. "Here." He handed her the laptop and passed her a short smile before closing the door. Sae Ri felt that something was wrong but decided to ignore it.

Sae Ri connected her pen drive to the laptop and switched on the Wi-Fi. Her back ached after having to type the report herself and editing it. Creating games was the fun part of her job but all the paperwork and written work were not. Her body didn't support her whenever it came to writing the report. She had done several presentations as much she hated them. It's not like she had a choice. A notification on Baekhyun's laptop startled her and she accidentally clicked it. The file opened and as much as she wanted to shut it down, her attention was drawn to the specific words in that document.

Baekhyun had to do it today. He has chosen today to tell her the truth. It was a perfect day. He felt warm today, the weather was so healing and he even made delicious breakfast today. He had decided to make this day painful for himself, punish himself for what he had done to himself, to her. He had no idea how to tell her. He had no courage to look her in the eyes. He had no love left to share. He took a deep breath and exhaled it calm himself down. He had his hand on the doorknob of the door of her bedroom. He just stood there trying to turn the doorknob but then the door suddenly opened itself revealing Sae Ri. Her eyes seemed betrayed and her body was trembling.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Sae Ri-"

"So everything you have ever done for me was just a pile of lies. That necklace, making breakfast and sharing the pain, was all of that crap you made up for your stupid novel?"

Baekhyun didn't know what to do. He wanted to tell her that all of it wasn't a lie. He had genuine feelings for and he cared about her but it didn't matter now that the cat was out of the bag.

"Please hear me out."

"You were one of the few people who I blindly trusted, Baekhyun. How could you do this to me?" She whispered the last sentence as tears cascaded down her cheeks, her lips tasting the salty flavor of betrayal. She shut the door behind her and locked herself in the room. Baekhyun released the breath he didn't even realize he was holding. His hands were trembling and his eyes couldn't stop releasing tears. He took support of the door behind him and slid down to sit. He brought his knees closer to his chest and placed his chin on it, praying for forgiveness.

 

Baekhyun had been staring at the ceiling for a number of hours he couldn't even count on his fingers. His eyes wouldn't stop picturing her face and his thoughts wouldn't let him sleep. Dark circles were visible on his face and the pain inside his body clutched his heart. His imbecility had killed him inside. He desperately wanted to see her. He wanted to tell her that she was not at fault and that it was his fault. He wanted to tell her he was in love, with her. He had lost the most precious jewel in this world. He had lost his heart. He had lost her trust. He couldn't stop worrying about her. He couldn't even look at her right now. He hated the fact that he was the one who caused her the pain. He had lost what could have been his.

He had tasted the love. The love which you don't even realize is love, the love which could be your forever and the love which causes nothing but agony to you. He wanted to reverse time and make amends. His story could have been amazing he had imagined, with the happily ever after but he was so wrong. He looked at the door which was locked indicating that she was inside. He knew that she was packing to leave and he didn't know where. He was a monster. He was an idiot, a bastard as Suho had called him when he found out. He sat down with his back against the door.

"I don't know if you're listening to this Sae Ri but if you are then I want to say that I'm sorry. I know that I don't even have the right to say sorry. I was too smitten by my ambition to write a story that I didn't even realize I would end up hurting someone. I thought love would always be roses and kisses you know, like they show in the movies, like how I write in the novels." He paused as he felt a lump forming in his throat. "I-I lied to you in the beginning but when I begin to realize how wrong I was to force upon others my feelings I stopped. I stopped writing the novel a long time ago. I began to realize how beautiful love is and it comes to you unexpectedly. I am not asking you for forgiveness, I don't deserve it. I just want you to remember that you don't deserve such treatment. You are the most beautiful color in my life and I don't regret spending a single moment with you."

She surely was the most beautiful color in his life but now his world was just black.