Part 4

Give Me Love

Being cute and having a smart brain was what Taehyun was blessed with when he was born. He could sense the change in his surroundings. He had never seen his uncle so worried. The latter’s eyebrows were furrowed and his forehead was wrinkled. His starry eyes followed the figure of his uncle as he paced in his room. Thinking about this, he realized that he hadn’t seen the pretty lady in a long time. She rarely left her room. He doesn’t even see her in the morning. Had uncle made his friend upset? He had to do something.

“Uncle, did you hurt the pretty lady?”

Great Baekhyun, now even a nine-year old fetus knows you messed up! He wasn’t proud of what he did and he definitely had no intention of hurting Sae Ri. “I did but it was a mistake. She hates me now.” Baekhyun sat on the edge of his bed with his face buried in his hands. For some unknown and strange reason, Baekhyun felt the need to make the situation right as before. It worried him that he had ended up hurting someone, but the fact it was Sae Ri was somehow worse.

“Then apologize to her.”

“I am trying to but she doesn’t want to see me.”

“Then find a way to do it. Show her that you feel sorry and you won’t do it again.”

The nine-year-old was right. Baekhyun didn’t want to upset her anymore.

“You are right. How are you so smart?” Baekhyun lifted Taehyun and spun him around making the latter giggle. “It’s because I am your nephew.”

Being cocky runs in the family of the Byuns.

 

Sae Ri was distracted. She couldn’t concentrate on her work at all. Her mind was flowing with thoughts of self- hatred. It wasn’t Baekhyun’s fault that caused her to lose control, it was her fault. Her rationale listed all the reasons why she was wrong. There was no courage left in her to face Baekhyun. Apologizing to Baekhyun was on her mind but she knew she couldn’t do it. Why should her problems affect someone who is trying to be nice to her? Sometimes, she wished she didn’t exist. She has hurt people, good people who never left her side even when she turned into a monster. Her thoughts didn’t only add hatred to her own self but towards her parents also. Thanks to them this ‘accident’ was ruining others now.

 

Baekhyun was an idiot. He was usually bold when he had to meet strangers or talk to new faces. All his bravery vanished when he thought about Sae Ri. The ‘coward’ couldn’t even ask her to meet him or text her. Having no choice, he decided to wait outside her workplace. He had no inkling about her work schedule. He kept on waiting and waiting and that endless wait didn’t come to an end. The hour hand of the clock had traveled from seven to eight now and he still had no idea what measures to take. He decided to stay patient (which is obviously impossible for him) and wait for another thirty minutes. His eyes lit up when he saw a familiar figure walking towards him. “Baekhyun, what are you doing here?” Sae Ri was never not surprised by this man. He had a knack of doing the unexpected. “I wanted to take you to dinner.” This is the perfect opportunity for me to apologize, Sae Ri thought in her head. “Okay.” She simply answered not questioning Baekhyun any further. The latter was baffled by her straightforward response and held the door of his car open for the lady.

Baekhyun eyes were everywhere but on her. He still had not done what he had decided to do.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry.”

Both of them blurted at the same time increasing the awkward tension in the atmosphere. “I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. I should have been more careful.” Baekhyun continued the conversation and rubbed his nape. “I know I can be a total freak sometimes but I swear I won’t do it again.” He clasped his hands together as if begging her for forgiveness. Sae Ri wanted to giggle at how cute his apology was but when she remembered who was at fault, she heaved a deep sigh. “It’s not your fault. I was rude to you yesterday because of my own problems. I am sorry.” For the first time, she looked into his beautiful eyes which were the most beautiful shade of brown. Baekhyun didn’t know what to say. Why was he always rendered speechless when he was with her? He was a writer and yet he forgot the words of language when her eyes met his.

“I guess we’re even?” He chuckled and he swore he saw her smiling.

 

“Thank you for dinner.” Sae Ri spoke and her heels to embrace her room when two little arms circled around her legs. “Pretty lady. I missed you.” Taehyun confessed making Sae Ri turn around and face him. “Hi.” She smiled at him, not even hesitant to show her happiness on seeing the cutie. “Don’t you ever leave me again,” Taehyun mumbled into her shoulder making her melt and kiss his forehead. Baekhyun who was observing the whole time was broken into pieces. He hated himself. Oh Sae Ri was precious. She needed someone and he wasn’t doing it the right way. He was hurting her and he wanted to stop. He had to stop but he didn’t have the courage to tell her. Not today, when she seemed so happy. He wanted to protect that smile.

“I want to play hide and seek!” Taehyun demanded and tugged the dress of Sae Ri. “I want to play hide and seek with both you.” Baekhyun and Sae Ri exchanged glances, their gaze holding undecipherable emotions. “It’s late Taehyun. Both of us are tired. We can play tomorrow if you want.” Baekhyun crouched down to the height of the nine-year-old and kissed his forehead but the latter wouldn’t stop crying. “But I want to play it now. I am leaving tomorrow. I want to play with the pretty lady before I go.” He started crying louder leaving both the adults with no choice but to adhere to his wish. Baekhyun looked at Sae Ri once for her confirmation. She simply shrugged her shoulders giving her consent.

“Fine but you are not getting any chocolates tomorrow.”

 

“I found you,” Taehyun shouted but was disappointed to see no one hiding behind the curtain. Luck was not being his loyal friend tonight. He was not able to find either of the adults. Usually, he won when he played with his parents. Today just wasn’t his day. Relieved to find Taehyun walking towards Baekhyun’s room, Sae Ri heaved a deep sigh and decided to walk towards her room. She was very careful with her steps but her clumsiness came in the way and she accidentally stepped on a toy which was lying on the floor. “Oops.” She whispered and panicked not knowing where she should hide. Her thinking was fogged right now and she closed her eyes waiting for Taehyun to find her.

Her chain of thoughts was interrupted when a familiar grip pulled her inside the storeroom. On opening her eyes, she was face to face with the culprit. “He won’t find you here,” Baekhyun whispered in her ear making something stir inside her. She was never been so close to someone. She could see the moles on Baekhyun’s face. She noticed the shape of his lips and his eyes which literally turned into crescents when he smiled too hard. The scent of his cologne entered her senses. Space was too cramped and small making their bodies touch. She could hear his heartbeat which was very pleasing, calming her down.

Baekhyun could feel the closeness of their bodies. The heat radiating from her body enveloped his frame making him comfortable. He unconsciously brought Sae Ri closer to him when he noticed Taehyun searching both of them in the room. Sae Ri heartbeat wasn’t slowing down making her concerned about her health. “He’s gone,” Baekhyun whispered in almost an inaudible voice and looked at Sae Ri. She only nodded her head and looked outside giving Baekhyun ample of time to admire her side-profile. He noticed how her wavy hair hid her face which urged him to tug them behind her ear but he fought it. His eyes fell on her lips, which looked so soft and red, his favorite color. His eyes landed on the scar on her nape making him furrow his eyebrows.

“How did you get this scar?” He threw this question at her the same time when his fingers traveled to her neck and traced the scar making her gasp under this touch. His fingers lingered there before he withdrew them when he realized the gravity of what he did. Sae Ri’s flustered expression was not seen by Baekhyun to her relief. She gulped her saliva and suddenly was too interested in the objects in the possession of the storeroom. Baekhyun mentally slapped himself and wished that the ground would swallow him right now. He needs to develop control over his impulses. He wished more than anything that Taehyun would find both of them.

 

That day, both of them couldn’t decide whether Taehyun finding them after half an hour made them happy or awkward.