Birthday

Triptych

“Chanhee!” Changhyun wrapped him in a warm hug.

“Hey!” Chanhee smiled. When Changhyun released him, he leaned up to give Jonghyun a one armed hug as well. “I didn’t know you two were here!”

“I came for the show and Suji invited us out,” Changhyun replied, he sipped his drink and looked around.

The bar was bustling with cast and crew, each one of them celebrating opening night with vigour.

“Where are Niel and Minsu?” Jonghyun asked, his eyes sweeping the room as well.

“Ah, Niel has to work tomorrow and it’s his birthday.” Chanhee’s smile was bitter. “They stayed home. They’ll come to see it tomorrow night.”

“It’s his birthday today?” Jonghyun’s eyes widened in panic.

“No!” Chanhee laughed and waved him down. “No, tomorrow.”

“Oh, thank God. I was playing games with him all afternoon and he didn’t say anything.” Jonghyun’s anxiety faded.

Chanhee gave another laugh. His chest twanged painfully, he wanted to go home. He wanted to be with Minsu and Niel.

“Anyway, come and get a drink!” Changhyun tugged at Chanhee. “You can’t not drink. It’s bad luck.”

“Everything is bad luck to you theatre people,” Jonghyun remarked, following them back to the bar.

Chanhee was inclined to agree.

=====

The lights of the TV made a kaleidescope behind his eyelids. Niel’s brain was washing in and out of sleep like an ocean current. Minsu’s body was warm behind him and he was so damn tired.

“Hey,” Minsu’s voice was soft. “Are you sleeping?”

“No.” Niel rolled over and pushed his face into Minsu’s chest. It was warm, the fabric of his old shirt so soft, and it smelt like Minsu.

“I think you are.” Minsu chuckled. “We can go to bed you know.”

“No. I’m waiting for Chanhee,” Niel’s brow creased but his eyes didn’t open. They were too heavy.

“He’ll be here when you wake up.” Minsu began to move.

“No!” Niel snapped. He gripped Minsu’s shirt tighter. “No. I’m waiting. We’re not finished the movie.”

Minsu’s laugh surrounded Niel, reverberating through his chest.

“You aren’t watching.”

“I am!” Niel threw himself back over to his other side and forced his eyes open. They shuttered closed. He dragged the lids up once more.

“We stayed home so you could go to bed early,” Minsu pointed out quietly.

“Shh.” Niel didn’t have an argument.

He opened his eyes again, squinting at the TV. Without even noticing, he slipped off to sleep.

=====

Minsu managed to shift Niel to the bed easily. He was dead asleep and didn’t wake as he was carried and set down on the mattress. Minsu paused to smile at the picture he made curled into the covers, and then returned to turn everything off in the lounge. He flicked the overhead light on, leaving it lit for when Chanhee came home. Silently, he pushed back into the bedroom and left the door ajar. There was just enough light to see by.

Niel wasn’t stirring but Minsu knew he would if he was left alone in the bed, so he climbed in and settled down to wait for Chanhee to return.

He was dozing against the headboard when he heard the jingle of keys set down on the bookshelf. A moment later Chanhee peeked into the bedroom. Minsu wiped his eyes and waved sleepily. He placed a finger to his lips and gestured at Niel’s sleeping form.

Chanhee smiled, crossing the room and sitting by Minsu.

“Hi darling.” He placed a kiss on Minsu’s lips.

“Hey.” Minsu leaned into him, smelling cigarettes, alcohol and sweat. “How was the show?”

“Mmm.” Chanhee pressed his nose into Minsu’s hair. “It was good. No tragedies. How was your night?”

“Good.” Minsu sat up once more. “He tried to wait up.”

Chanhee gave a quiet laugh and shook his head.

“I need a shower.”

Minsu nodded, nose wrinkling.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” Chanhee kissed him again and disappeared.

He sank onto the bed, leaving space for Chanhee in the middle. Minsu watched Niel sleep for a while, eyes drinking in the soft curves of his lips and brow. The light in the lounge flicked off, Chanhee returned and climbed over Minsu and into the bed. Niel didn’t stir at all.

=====

The singing of his alarm dragged him from sleep. Niel clicked it off and got up immediately. He knew if he stayed in bed he would never leave.

It was still dark outside, the slightest colour tinting the sky through the curtains. Niel looked down, watching Chanhee and Minsu sleep peacefully for a long moment.

“Happy birthday to me,” he whispered and crept from the room.

He showered, dressed and collected everything he needed for work. With one last longing look at Chanhee and Minsu, he kissed them goodbye and went to work.

His bus ride was filled with a mixture of bubbling joy and anxiety. The bright spots outshone the darkness for the day though, he smiled and thanked the driver. It would be a good day.

Minseok was rolling the door up as Niel made his way up from the bus stop. He gave him a wave and a smile. Niel enjoyed working with Minseok, everything got done with a cheery attitude and he didn’t mind singing along to the radio. It was only a short shift, 6am to midday. With Minseok alongside him, it would fly by. It would be a good day.

=====

Chanhee woke slowly. Minsu’s warmth was so comforting he slipped back to sleep several times. The last time, he actually rolled and stretched, feet searching for Niel in the bed before he remembered and woke properly.

Daylight was cutting a path through the room through the gap in the curtains. Chanhee looked at Niel’s empty place in the bed and frowned. It wasn’t fair to make someone work on their birthday.

With languid movements, he reached over Minsu and retrieved his phone. His eyes popped open, it was already 10:30! How had he slept so long?

There was also a message waiting for him.

Hi Chanhee, Evina made a request for PR today. Need you in by 12

Chanhee swore and threw his phone into the bed. Minsu stirred, enveloping Chanhee in his arms and settling again.

“S’matter?” Minsu asked, eyes staying closed.

“I have to go to work early,” Chanhee groaned He wanted to stay home and wait for Niel. The actual plan had been to wake at a reasonable hour and surprise Niel at his work, but that wasn’t going to happen now.

“Mm. K.” Minsu was already falling asleep again.

“Minsu! Wake up!” Chanhee demanded. “I have a problem.”

“OK, OK,” Minsu’s eyes opened. He blinked and propped himself on an elbow to ensure he didn’t just sleep again. “What’s problem?”

“I have to go to work early. I won’t see Niel until tonight.” Chanhee bit his lip and sat up. “What should I do?”

“Go to work.” Minsu shrugged.

Chanhee gave his arm a light slap with frustration.

“That doesn’t help!”

“Well I can’t go to work for you,” Minsu replied in exasperation. “He’s a big boy. He’ll understand.”

Chanhee gave a desperate whine.

“Niel will understand.” Minsu’s eyes were properly open now. He sat up and pulled Chanhee into his chest. “I’ll take care of him today. We’ll come and see the musical tonight, which is always fun, and then we’ll have the night together. It’s OK.”

Chanhee nibbled his lip. His shoulders slumped with defeat and he leaned into Minsu. He knew the other man was right, it didn’t mean Chanhee felt any better.

=====

Niel smiled as he scrolled through his phone. Jonghyun and Changhyun had left him messages. Byunghun had left a quiet and awkward voice mail. His uni friends had spammed his social media and inbox. There was even one from Chanhee, the one that made him smile the widest as he read the preview of the text.

Hey baby — The baby nickname had begun as the other two teasing him for being the youngest. It had since stuck, coming out when they got carried away with affection for him. Niel would never admit it, but he loved it. He clicked the message open. His smile quickly fading.

Hey baby, I have to go in to work early. I’m so sorry. I’ll make it up to you. I love you. Several hearts followed it.

Niel sighed and nodded. He looked down the street, watching for his bus for a long moment.

Hey, no worries. See you tonight. Break a leg. Love you.  It was the best he could do with the crushing disappointment he felt in his chest.

=====

“Happy birthday!” Minsu was waiting behind the door, arms wide open and a bright smile on his face. Niel smiled back, his heart warming again.

He crossed the room and pressed himself tight against Minsu. Niel tried to push down his disappointment and sadness, it wouldn’t be fair to Minsu to be sulky.

“Thank you,” Niel mumbled.

“How was work?” Minsu began to rock them side to side.

“It was good. No nasty customers today.”

“There better not be,” Minsu growled. He gave Niel an extra squeeze. “Now, what do you want to do with your afternoon?”

“Mmm.” He sunk into the embrace even further. He knew what he wanted to do, but it was no fun without Chanhee. A small simmering anxiety began to bubble beneath the surface of his mind.

“You OK?” Minsu’s voice was soft and kind. He ran his hand over Niel’s back slowly.

“Yeah.” Niel sighed. “I think I’ll have a shower. Maybe we can play Overwatch?”

“There’s no maybe.” Minsu leaned back and smiled. “It’s your birthday. You can do whatever you want.”

Niel smiled. He kissed Minsu and nodded.

“Then I need a shower. And I wanna play games.”

“Good.”

When they emerged from the shower, Niel dialled Chanhee in vain. It didn’t even ring, his phone already set to Aeroplane mode in the theatre. Niel sighed and frowned. It wasn’t fair.

As he was about to set the phone down, it rang. Hope soared in his chest before crushing out completely. It was his brother. Niel moved to sit on the bed and answered the call. Minsu came to sit beside him, holding his hand through the conversation.

When they hung up only minutes later, Niel pressed his head into Minsu’s shoulder and sighed. Neither said anything, Minsu merely wrapping Niel in his arms and holding him tight.

=====

Chanhee couldn’t see a damn thing through the stage lights. He tried anyway, keeping half an eye out for Niel or Minsu in the crowd.

The show couldn’t go fast enough. He was so impatient he didn’t even hang around backstage to gossip. He was tearing into his dressing room when a voice called his name. Turning, he found the assistant director beckoning him back.

“Yes?” He asked, trying to keep his irritation off his face.

“We’re going to have a quick meeting and then you can go, hun.” She turned and led Chanhee back toward the stage. He almost groaned with frustration but followed along obediently.

The meeting dragged. Each person reviewing their role and what they thought went well or poorly. Chanhee’s legs bounced as he sat and waited for it to be over. His co-star leaned over and forced his knees to stop their jiggling. He gave an apologetic smile.

“Alright,” the director shot Chanhee a pointed look, “I think that’s everything. You can all go home now.”

They laughed at Chanhee and he gave an apologetic look.

“Sorry, it’s my boyfriend’s birthday today,” he explained as they all stood.

“Oh!” The director looked a little sheepish. “I’m sorry, you should have said something. I would have let you go first.”

“No, no.” Chanhee kicked himself mentally. “I wanted to stay for the whole thing. It’s important.”

The director gave him a shrewd smile and waved him away. “Go on, hurry up and go.”

“Thanks. See you tomorrow!” Chanhee called to them and jogged off the stage.

He rushed through cleaning his makeup off. There was no sign of Niel and Minsu in the dressing rooms. He tossed his civilian clothes on and clicked his phone back to receiving calls. It rang immediately.

“Hey, darling!” He gathered his things.

“Where are you?” Minsu asked, voice strained.

“I’m coming out now. Had a meeting I couldn’t avoid.” Chanhee did one last check and left.

“They didn’t call, Chanhee,” Minsu’s voice was soft, a low tone of anger underneath it all.

“Bastards,” Chanhee spat back, a flare of rage firing through him. He pushed through the door and into the street. “Where are you?”

“Over by the garden beds.”

Chanhee watched Minsu turn and wave. He ran over to them, throwing his arms around Niel’s unsuspecting form.

“Happy birthday, baby!” Chanhee crushed him as tight as he could before coming around to hug him from the front as well. “Happy birthday! I’m so sorry!”

“Thank you.” Niel’s arms were just as tight around him. “It’s OK. We all have to work.”

“I’m so sorry about today,” Chanhee pulled back and kissed him, looking into his eyes. They were shining but a sadness lingered in them.

“Hey you,” Minsu leaned down and stole a kiss.

“Hi darling.” Chanhee smiled at him, moving a lock of hair back into place on Minsu’s head.

Niel snuggled into Chanhee completely, ignoring the fact that they were standing in the middle of the cultural district with people bustling past.

“Great show.” Minsu continued. He laid an arm over Chanhee’s shoulders and kissed the side of Niel’s face. “Do you want to go home, baby?”

“Ice cream.” The reply was muddled by Chanhee’s neck.

“Ice cream?” Chanhee asked, sharing a look with Minsu.

“I want ice cream.” Niel pulled his head from it’s hiding place.

“What you want, you must get,” Chanhee told him seriously.

“Come on then.” Minsu directed them down into the parklands, aiming for the ice cream shop that was open late.

=====

Despite the hour, the shop was bustling with patrons. Niel was sure it was the fact that the theatres had just let out and dates were finishing up with ice cream. The three of them took their cups and found a quiet spot on the sloping lawns by the river. He watched people go by on the path; cyclists in groups, couples wandering, some people on their own just out for a walk or run. The music of buskers floated along with the slow chug of river ferries.

Minsu dropped onto the grass beside Niel, Chanhee sitting on his other side. They ate in silence for a moment, absorbing the nightlife. Niel finally relaxed. It was only his birthday for a few more hours. He had made it through. It was not that he didn’t enjoy his birthday, it had just been more challenging than he had expected. Part of him hadn’t realised how much he had grown attached to Chanhee and Minsu together. He loved them both and both in completely unique ways, but he also loved them all together. They made him feel safe, and strong. With the three of them all together, he could deal with anything. Even soggy disappointment that his parents were still refusing to talk to him.

“Oh,” Minsu’s tone was overtly surprised.

Niel glanced at him with a frown, his morose thoughts being frightened away with curiosity.

“What have I got here?” Minsu continued. He pulled a small, rectangular package out from beside him. It was wrapped in pink and green dinosaur paper, each dinosaur wearing a party hat or holding a pennant. Niel smiled and shook his head.

“Where were you even hiding that?” He asked, taking the present and setting his ice cream aside.

“Magic.” Minsu winked.

Niel kissed him, the smile spreading through his whole body now. He picked at the tape, trying to preserve the dinosaurs.

“Just rip it.” Minsu ordered, his eyes intent on the present.

Niel tore the paper through the middle. His mouth popped open, a wave of heady emotion hitting him as he realised what it was. He looked up at Minsu and then at Chanhee. They were smiling, eyes twinkling with victory as they watched his reaction.

“Where did you find this?” Niel asked, taking the paper off completely and turning the book over in his hands. He pressed his fingers into his lips and tried to calm himself down.

The book was just as he remembered it. A favourite he had all but the read the cover off the original when he was a teenager. He had left it at home, planning to retrieve it one summer. That was out of the question now, and the book was no longer published. Niel had been looking for it for a year. This one was yellowed on the edges with age and a splotch of something was spilt on the spine.

“The Internet is a magical place,” Minsu mumbled.

Niel turned back to the front. He opened it reverently and found a small, neatly inscribed note on the inside of the cover.

    Our Daniel,
    Happy Birthday.
    May this story bring you as much joy as you bring us.
    Love Minsu + Chanhee

“You two are lame.” Niel’s eyes were prickling dangerously.

“Here.” Chanhee was holding out a small box, it was wrapped in the same dinosaur paper.

He placed the precious book in his lap and took the box. His hands shook a little as he unwrapped it. He laughed a little through his burning throat. It was a ring box.

Inside were three plain silver rings, all nestled together. Niel lost the fight against his tears, they slipped over to his cheeks.

“Happy birthday,” Minsu and Chanhee chorused softly.

He could only sniff in reply. He tried to wipe his eyes and found himself squished between the two of them.

Chanhee took one of the rings and slipped it onto Niel’s right hand.

“One for you,” Chanhee whispered.

“One for you.” Minsu slipped Chanhee’s on.

“And one for you.” Chanhee did the same for Minsu.

“You two.” Niel couldn’t say anything else. He ducked his head and swiped at his tears again.

“Love you, baby.” Minsu kissed the side of his head. “Do you like your presents?”

“I love them.” Niel gave a shuddering breath. “I really… How did you do this?”

“We’re pretty crafty you know,” Chanhee giggled, he laced his fingers with Minsu’s.

Niel buried his face in his hands. He was overwhelmed. Too many emotions were rolling around inside.

“Oh! I forgot the best part,” Chanhee pulled his ring off and held it up. “Look.” He patted Niel’s arm.

On the inside of the band, letters were engraved in curling script: M C D.

Niel took one short look and broke down into full sobs. Minsu chuckled and pulled Niel up into his lap. Chanhee scooted over and snuggled in.

“We broke him,” Minsu mumbled with another chuckle.

“I didn’t mean to.” Chanhee’s voice held a laugh as well. “You OK?”

“No!” Niel sobbed. “I just really ing love you two. And today was a bit . And now…” He gave a sob and held Chanhee’s hand tight in his own. “Thanks.”

“Love you, baby,” Chanhee leaned up and kissed his wet cheek. “Always.”

“Always,” Minsu repeated and kissed him as well.

 

==========

 

A/N: Birthday! This was a request! Based on the fact that when Niel tried to call Chanhee on his birthday the call didn't go through because he was in the theatre!

I had fun writing this one. Now! On to the next one!!