Brother

Triptych

A/N: Please note, Niel's brothers names have changed to Adam and Marcus. Because reasons.

 

Something in the bed jolted, startling Niel from his light sleep and into heavy consciousness. Flickering his eyelids to open and searching the dim light, he found Chanhee sitting upright. He was staring at the bedroom door, shoulders tense.

“You alright?” Niel asked, voice weary.

“There was—” A knock cut Chanhee off.

“What the?” Niel sat up as well, rubbing at his eyes as he pulled himself into a proper state of awake. “It’s like 2am.”

“Minsu, wake up.” Chanhee said, prodding at Minsu’s back lightly.

As Minsu began to groan and shift, Niel threw his legs over the edge of the bed. Without waiting, he shuffled to the bedroom door and out into the loungeroom.

“Baby, wait,” Chanhee called.

He flicked the light on, eyes aching as they tried to adjust. He squinted, and advanced on the front door.

The knock came again.

Niel pulled it open to the length of the chainlock and peered through.

Adam peered back. His eyes were slightly wide, cheeks flushed.

“Hey. Sorry,” Adam said, lips pressing together hard as he waited for Niel’s reaction.

Niel closed the door, unhitched the chain and opened it once more.

“Adam?” Chanhee asked. He was standing at the door to the bedroom, face scrunched and Minsu half draped over his shoulder.

“Come in.” Niel stepped back and waved Adam through.

As he passed the distinct scent of cigarettes and smoke wafted by. Niel’s brow pinched but he remained silent.

“What happened?” Chanhee asked, taking Adam and guiding him to sit on the couch. “Is everything OK?”

The longer Niel looked the more his stomach sank. Adam wasn’t carrying a bag, he had nothing but his clothes on his back. There was no happy explanation for this.

“Yeah, well, I mean, mostly,” Adam said. “I just need a place to crash tonight.”

“Why didn’t you go home?” Niel crossed to stand by the TV cabinet opposite the couch.

Chanhee had sunk down beside him, looking up at Niel with a pursed mouth.

“Uh, I did.” Adam gave a wry smile. “But when I saw the lights on waiting for me, I decided to leave that scolding until tomorrow.”

Silence met his poor attempt at levity and Adam sighed.

“I snuck out for a graduation party. I think they found out.”

The sinking in Niel’s abdomen paused. He searched Adam’s face and found nothing. He fluffed at his own hair and gave half a smile at his younger brother.

“Alright, wild child, you can sleep on the couch. But tomorrow you better face up to it.” Niel flicked Adam’s head as he went by.

“Thanks.” Adam looked from Chanhee to Minsu. “Sorry I woke you all up.”

“It’s OK. He’s not really awake.” Niel wrapped an arm around Minsu’s waist and dragged him back toward the bedroom. “Don’t baby him too much,” he tossed over his shoulder to Chanhee.

Minsu stretched back out under the blankets and held his arms open for Niel. Slowly, Niel slid into them, unable to shake the disquieted feeling in his bones.

“You OK, baby?” Minsu whispered.

“He scared the out of me,” Niel said, speaking almost silently. “Thought for sure he was going to tell me they had kicked him out.”

Warm hands rubbed his back as they lay in silence and listened to Chanhee grab blankets and a pillow for Adam.

“Do you need a shower?” Chanhee asked.

“Nah, I just want to sleep.”

“You stink of cigarettes, have you been smoking?” Chanhee’s tone was slightly disapproving and Niel gave a weak smile in the darkness.

“No. My friends were,” Adam said.

There was a long silence before Niel heard Chanhee sigh.

“Don’t lie to me.” His voice was tired. “I might not have younger siblings but I know bad acting when I see it.”

Adam gave a low laugh.

“OK. Sorry. Yeah, I smoked a few at the party,” Adam said. His voice was deep, gravelled and possibly almost miserable.

There was a rustle of a doona. Niel pressed his face into Minsu’s neck.

“You can always come to us when you’re in trouble. But don’t lie to us, OK?” Chanhee spoke at last.

“Yesum.”

“Night,” Chanhee said.

“Night.”

Niel sighed, rolling back to make space for Chanhee to return to his usual spot. He knew, deep down, there was much more to this story. They would have to deal with it tomorrow.

=====

Their morning was as busy as ever. All three of them tired from the disturbed sleep and moving around one another in relative silence. Niel stood over Adam’s sleeping form on the couch, staring intently as though he could see the answers he was looking for.

Chanhee planted a kiss on his cheek as he moved through to the bathroom. Minsu planting one in the same spot as he exited the bathroom on his way to the bedroom to dress.

“Wake up.” Niel nudged Adam with his toe.

“Go away,” Adam said, rolling away and jamming his face into the cushions.

“I will in a minute. Wake up.” Niel nudged him again.

“What?” Adam rolled back, eyes only just cracked.

“I’m going to class, Chanhee has an audition and Minsu is going to the studio. Are you staying here another night?” Niel said. He crouched down to make his face level with Adam.

“Can I?” Adam squinted, attempting to open his eyes properly.

“If you want to.” Niel shrugged. “Everything OK?”

He watched as Adam shifted, giving his own half-shrug. There was a noise that was neither a yes or no. Niel’s lips pursed and he suppressed a sigh.

“I gotta go to class. Meet me at uni this afternoon and we’ll talk,” Niel said. He stood once more, taking another moment to examine his younger brother. He was so much more grown up than he remembered. Niel’s lips twitched and he turned away to finish getting ready to go.

Adam was already asleep by the time Niel had gathered his things and slipped out of the apartment.

=====

Adam was waiting for him as he came out of the last lecture. Niel gave him a wave and wandered across the distance. A knotted bundle of tension, fear and dread tightened around Niel’s heart as he looked across at his younger brother.

“Still in yesterday’s clothes, classy,” Niel teased, forcing the sickened feeling into the back of his mind.

“Well I thought it might not be a great idea to go through your ,” Adam said with a grin.

Niel couldn’t help but agree. He led the way to the path and toward the edges of the university grounds.

“So, it’s time for you to text mum and dad and let them know you’re still alive because Marcus has been blowing up my phone all day,” Niel said.

“Mine too.” Adam sighed.

The incessant buzzing Niel had been forced to mute five times already began once more.

“And he’s calling again.” Niel’s voice was exasperated as he pulled his phone from his pocket and answered it.

Adam gave a wince beside him but remained quiet.

“Hello?” Niel tried to sound innocent.

“Is Adam with you?” Marcus asked, brusque.

“I’m good, how are you?” Niel said, rolling his eyes.

“Don’t.” Marcus snapped. “Just tell me, is he with you?”

“Chill out. He’s here.” Niel looked at Adam, eyebrows high.

Adam inspected the pavement intently.

“Thank God. Mum and dad are going mental,” Marcus said, his voice coming down to cordial rather than terse.

“They tend to do that,” Niel kept his voice dry. At the mention of his parents his heart gave a hollow rattle.

“So what story did he feed you?” Marcus asked.

Niel bit his tongue, clamping down the nasty retort until he had his emotions under control once more. He waved Adam along, and they continued meandering toward the train station.

“He just came to visit. I couldn’t go to his graduation so he came to see me,” Niel said. He wasn’t entirely sure why he was lying but the clear relief in Adam’s eyes spurred him on.

“That’s bull.” Marcus's words convinced Niel even further. “He’s lying. He’s been hanging out with gangsters, skipping school and being a delinquent.”

“Mm-hmm,” Niel drawled.

“This is serious!” Marcus exploded, his voice loud enough that Adam looked over, guilt in his features. “Send him home. Better yet, I’ll come and get him.”

“No,” Niel said, voice firmer. “Don’t bother. He’s fine here. He’ll go back when he wants to.” Niel carried on through Marcus’s spluttered protests. “If you think I’ll send him away against his will, then you’re crazy. He’ll be fine here. Tell them he’s fine. He’s going to stay another night here with us.”

There was a long silence. Cars rushed by and the murmur of conversations around him were the only noise. Adam’s hands were fidgeting with his own phone, eyes still downcast.

“Good chat,” Niel muttered and hung up the phone. With a heavy sigh he tucked it back into his pocket.

“I hope you know you’re the coolest brother ever.” Adam was grinning. “Stone cold.”

Niel gave him a smile and shook his head. They looked at one another for a long moment before Niel let out a softer sigh and waved them to continue on.

“Gangsters?” He said after a few metres.

“He always was a snitch,” Adam muttered, looking away at the passing traffic.

“We both already knew that. I’ll have the whole story now please,” Niel said, voice tired.

Adam stayed silent, matching Niel’s steps but not turning his face away from the road.

“Chanhee spoke for all of us last night when he said that you can always come to us but you can’t lie to us,” Niel prodded him a little.

Adam turned back, face somewhere between pained and irate.  His shoulders slumped and he gave a long sigh.

“So, I was never smart like you and Marcus,” Adam began, “I’m just not good at that stuff.”

Niel stayed silent, the knotting tension in his chest loosening slightly.

“But mum and dad accept nothing less than the best. When I came home with Cs they would lose it. I tried. For the first six months I really tried.” Adam sighed. He looked at Niel, eyes pleading, before he turned away again. “I wanted to do what you can do. But I’m just dumb. So I gave up trying. They weren’t satisfied with my best so, why try?”

Niel gave a slow nod.

“I fell in with some guys. We’d skip class, smoke cigarettes and talk all day.”

Despite the wave of disappointment, Niel kept his expression sincere. He nodded again, letting Adam continue.

“A few of them were worse than others. We’d do stupid for dares.” Adam scrubbed at the back of his neck. “We’d break into factories, steal from convenience stores, dumb stuff,” Adam said, his voice full of shame. “Last night, we got together for graduation. We were just out in an abandoned lot, lighting fires and drinking.”

They descended into the train station. The knot in Niel’s chest pulsing so tight he felt like he might have a heart attack. Despite that, he stayed quiet, listening as Adam tried to work himself up to the last of the story.

Somewhere beneath the anxiety for his brother, Niel couldn’t help feel a weight of responsibility. He was never there for Adam. When he had walked away from his parents years ago it had meant walking away from Adam as well. He should have done more to protect him.

“There is this one dude,” Adam’s voice brought Niel out of his brooding thoughts. “Minko. He was worse than the others. He had ties to a gang. That’s what Marcus meant. Minko’s cousin is in a gang.” Adam took a deep breath. “Last night we were drinking and he says he knows of this party we should go to. The others were keen, but… I know this sounds dumb, but I knew if I went, it would be the last nail in the coffin. I knew it would be a gangster party and there would be no coming back.”

Their walking petered to a natural stop beside a kiosk. Niel grabbed them two cold drinks, paid and walked them over to sit on a bench. Adam picked at the label on his bottle, pulling it off.

“I tried to say I wanted to go home. They called me a and I caved,” Adam said. “So we all got on the train to go. And along the way I just sort of realise, y’know? This is it.” Adam glanced at Niel, face tight with emotion. “But then it rolls into the station. Your station. I knew your place was like seven blocks away. I just bolted. The doors almost shut on me but I just ran.”

Niel gave a soft huff of laughter.

“I ran all the way.” Adam grinned and leaned back on the bench. “All seven blocks. And then I thought, ‘it’s 2am and Niel is gonna kick my ’. So I sat in your hallway a while. And then I realised that if you found me out there in the morning you would kick my for that too. So I knocked.”

“I’m glad you did,” Niel said. He took a long drink from his bottle and grinned. “And it would have been Chanhee that kicked your for sleeping in the hallway.”

Adam gave a weak laugh and settled into silence.

Emotions ran through Niel as he digested the story. He couldn’t work out where to begin with any of it. He was thankful that Adam seemed to be genuine in his desire to get away from the bad influence of his friends, he was thankful that Adam had known he could come to Niel with whatever he needed. Yet there was a heavy weight of guilt, fear and sadness that seethed beneath it all.

“Are you mad at me?” Adam asked, voice small and childlike.

“No.” Niel sighed and stood. “Let’s go grab a train, we’re meeting Chanhee at the grocery store.”

Adam watched Niel closely as they swayed side to side on the train. He seemed to be waiting for a scolding.

“So, have any of your friends tried to call you?” Niel finally asked.

“Yeah. Hoseok, he wasn’t as bad as the others. He tried to call but I didn’t answer.” Adam slouched against the wall of the train. “I didn’t want them to know where I was.”

“Good.” Niel nodded. “What do you want to do, Adam?” He watched as Adam processed the words, the lack of judgement or reproach in Niel’s voice seeming to surprise him.

“I don’t know,” he sighed. “How did you know?”

“I’m a big nerd, I always knew.” Niel grinned.

A rush of people passed them as the train doors opened and closed.

“Don’t worry too much about it yet. But you do need a plan.” Niel smiled kindly.

“How are you being so nice about this?” Adam asked, his eyes a little wild. “I lied last night because I thought you’d kick my .”

“Well, I figure you’ve got enough adults doing that for now. Maybe if they’d actually listened and talked to you like the adult you almost are, this wouldn’t have happened,” Niel said. He gave a heavy sigh as they stepped out at the next stop with a flood of other people. “That and I was really prepared for you to tell me that they had kicked you out, so I’m actually mostly relieved.”

“Marcus always says they didn’t kick you out but that you chose to leave,” Adam murmured as they split away from the throng of people once more.

Niel rolled his eyes, a thrum of irritation making his eye twitch slightly.

“I thought you’d abandoned us for a long time,” Adam said. “Until about a year ago. And then I really understood.”

A sad smile crawled over Niel’s face and he gave a slow nod. A fresh wave of guilt and sadness rushed through him.

“Do you want to go back?” Niel asked.

“I dunno.” Adam hitched his shoulders and spread his hands.

They crested the stairs into the mall from the station and Niel gave a curt nod.

“Alright, let’s find Chanhee. He’s in here somewhere.” Niel waved at the grocery store ahead.

“Daniel, seriously, you’re a cool brother.” Adam smiled.

“What’s cooler than a nerdy, gay, polyamoros brother?” Niel grinned, twitching his eyebrows a little.

“One that hides you when everyone else wants to wring your neck?” Adam asked, gratitude shining through his eyes.

Niel chuckled. He spotted Chanhee in the dairy section and led the way to him. He wasn’t so sure Chanhee wouldn’t wring Adam’s neck when he found out the whole story.

=====

Chanhee loaded the trolley with all the types of food teenage boys enjoyed and some fresh seafood. When Adam tried to help pay he gave him an arch look and replied that spoiling was what older brothers were supposed to do. Adam turned beet red and silent, insisting on carrying the bags to the car.

“So, whats the plan now you’ve graduated?” Chanhee asked as he pulled out of the parking-lot and into the street.

“Uh, I don’t know. I doubt I'll get into uni.” Adam stared out the window in the backseat.

“What do you want to do instead?” Chanhee pressed.

“I don’t know.”

“Well, you’ve still got some time. Just as long as you have a plan, you’ll be fine,” Chanhee said, looking over at Niel with a soft smile.

Niel tried to smile back but his fear for Adam rose again. He didn’t quite know what to do from here. Should he protect him from their parents? Should he send him home to face the consequences?

His fingers gripped at the door of the car. There was no way the consequences he would face at home would be in any way fair to what he had done. In fact Niel wasn’t entirely convinced if he sent Adam back he wouldn’t return a day later, this time actually exiled from the family.

No, he wouldn’t force Adam back home. Besides that, he could tell that Chanhee wanted to spoil him with a proper graduation dinner that night. He definitely wouldn’t ruin that for Chanhee.

As they came out of the elevator something prickled over the back of Niel’s neck. He could hear voices coming from inside the apartment. Lips puckered, he opened the door.

“— they are. And if I did, I wouldn’t tell you.” Minsu’s voice was dark.

“What does that mean?” This voice was Marcus’s.

Niel heard Adam give a mumbled curse behind him.

“We’re home,” Niel called before Minsu could reply.

He stepped up from the entryway and took in the scene. Minsu was standing at the table, eyes as dark as his voice had been. Marcus was in the lounge area, near the bedroom door, hands akimbo and shoulders squared.

“Hello, brother, nice of you to come and visit. What’s the special occasion?” Niel snarked as he crossed to stand by Minsu at the table.

“I’ve come to take Adam home.” Marcus ignored Niel’s tone. “Mum is freaking out.”

“That’s not a rare occurrence,” Niel said, voice dry and disinterested. “Adam is staying here. We’re having a graduation dinner tonight.”

“Didn’t he tell you what really happened?” Marcus asked. Niel could see he was trying to scramble some semblance of control back.

“He told me everything. It doesn’t change anything.” Niel glanced over to find Adam was almost hiding behind Chanhee in the entryway door.

“It changes everything,” Marcus scoffed. He tossed a nasty look at Adam and Chanhee. “Our delinquent brother should have some consequences to his actions.”

“He isn’t a delinquent,” Niel said, voice firm. Minsu placed a hand in the small of his back, encouraging him. “And consequences drove him to his actions. I thought it might be time to try some understanding.”

“You don’t know the half of what he’s put them through this year!” Marcus gestured wildly with one hand.

“And you were always far too like them to ever understand why!” Niel snapped, voice rising as the anger struck like a viper.

Crackling silence fell. Marcus glared at Niel, his chest heaving.

“I think it’s time for you to leave, Marcus,” Chanhee said, stepping in gracefully and pulling Adam along behind him until they were by the table and opposite Marcus.

“I don’t recall asking you,” Marcus spat, jaw clenching tight. “You’ve really done it now—” He turned his eyes on Adam.

“Enough.” Niel cut in before Adam could reply. “Just go home. Tell them he’s fine. He’ll be home tomorrow. I want to give my little brother a graduation dinner.”

Marcus’s chin rose, eyes afire.

“If he isn’t home by tomorrow, I will call child services.” Marcus cast a glare over Minsu and strode from the apartment.

“Always a pleasure!” Chanhee called as the door snapped shut.

Heavy silence fell. Niel sighed, turning and pushing himself into Minsu’s chest.

“Are you alright?” Chanhee asked Minsu. “What did he do?” Chanhee rubbed at Niel’s back slowly.

“Other than invite himself inside and then berate me like it was an elaborate kidnapping plot?” Minsu squeezed Niel a little. “I just don’t like that guy.”

Adam gave a weak laugh and took a seat at the kitchen table. He dropped his head into his hands and gave a sigh.

“Thanks for not selling me out,” he mumbled through his hands.

“I ain’t no snitch,” Minsu replied, placing a kiss on Niel’s hair. He kissed Chanhee’s cheek as well.

“Do I really have to go home tomorrow?” Adam asked, looking over at them, head still on one hand.

Niel sighed and extracted himself from Minsu’s arms. He took the seat at the table opposite Adam and rubbed at his temples for a long moment.

“Technically you aren’t independent for another three months,” Niel said slowly. “And if they do call child services or the police, in the house of three gay guys probably isn’t the best place to find you.”

“So you’re sending me back?” Adam sounded wounded.

“I didn’t say that.” Niel looked at him. “I said you’re technically still their child and this isn’t where you should be found.”

“But you basically think I should go back?” Adam’s hands dropped to the table with a loud slap.

“What’s going on?” Chanhee asked, his voice weary. He took a seat beside Niel and looked between them.

“Adam had a rough school year. He fell in with a bad crowd because his parents were pressuring him with unrealistic expectations.” Niel gave a sigh and stood. “Last night he chose to come here instead of going to a party at a gangsters house.”

Niel turned away. He busied himself in the kitchen making tea.

“Jesus, Adam!” Chanhee cried, exasperation in his soaring theatre voice.

“I’m sorry!” Adam wailed back, genuine distress in every syllable.

Chanhee’s mouth opened but Minsu cut across him.

“It doesn’t matter,” Minsu said, voice firm. “Leave it, Chanhee.”

Minsu placed a hand on Chanhee’s shoulder and gave a squeeze. Chanhee’s lips twisted but he gave a short nod and forced a smile.

“I’m glad you came to us,” Chanhee said, smile turning genuine.

Adam merely nodded in reply, eyes returning to the trace the grain of the table.

“So.” Niel set a cup of tea down for Adam and slid back into his chair.

He knew what needed to be done. He absolutely didn’t want to do it. He had sworn to himself he would never do it, and yet here he was about to promise just that.

He took a long look at Adam. God, they looked alike. Their eyes, their lips, their snark. They were so similar but life had put so much distance between them.

“Tomorrow we’ll go home. You can talk to them about everything. We’ll see where it lands,” Niel said. He sighed and turned his tea mug in a circle.

“Nielie?” Chanhee said, surprise colouring his tone.

“You… You’ll come home with me?” Adam asked, face pale.

“Sure. At the very least I can remind them that you aren’t the worst child of the three.” His smile felt like melted plastic.

“Maybe I should take him?” Minsu rumbled from where he was leaning against the bench.

“We can work it out later,” Niel said. “It’s your graduation. So let’s make dinner.”

As Niel stood in the kitchen, preparing the seafood and setting it into the pot on the stove, Adam hovered by his elbow.

The twanging tension of the afternoon slowly faded. Minsu and Chanhee had drifted away into the bedroom, murmuring to one another. Niel ignored the stinging pain in his chest and focused on cooking.

“How do you know how to do this?” Adam asked, watching intently.

“They taught me.” Niel grinned at him. “Minsu is better at it than I am, but you’re my brother so.”

“Mum does everything at home. I wouldn’t even know how to cook an egg.” Adam turned and leaned against the bench.

His eyes swept Niel’s apartment. There was a pile of novels stacked on Niel’s desk, a sheaf of papers drifting onto the floor beside them. Sheet music papered Chanhee’s desk beside it. Someone’s socks had made it to the halfway point between the table and lounge. Post-it notes peppered the TV cabinet, some love notes and some actual requests for chores to be done. One end of the dining table was piled high with an assortment of stuff, the flotsam and jetsam of a busy life. The kitchen was clean but everything just slightly dingy with age and use.

“She’d probably screech if she saw this place,” Adam said.

Niel’s smile twisted. Sour irritation soaked through his chest and dripped into his stomach.

“I think it’s awesome, though. What’s it like to be able to live without everything needing to be sanitised daily?” Adam sighed.

“Messy, but a lot calmer.” Niel’s voice was soft, a seeping tone of sadness underneath.

“Sorry.” Adam cleared his throat. “Hey, why did Minsu stick up for me?”

“Why wouldn’t he?” Niel glanced at Adam, face open and kind.

“I dunno. Dude doesn’t know me at all,” Adam said, shrugging as though it were obvious to believe the worst of people.

“Eh.” Niel placed a lid on the pot and turned to face Adam properly. “Maybe you two aren’t that different.”

He watched as Adam’s eyes clouded, mind working hard with the words from Niel.

“Chanhee, how was the audition?” Niel called, leaving Adam in the kitchen.

=====

Dinner was a joyful affair, Chanhee making it his sole purpose to dote on Adam as much as he could. Niel sat back in his chair, full of seafood. A wash of happiness like ocean waves rolled through, the undertow of sadness leaving him feeling slightly chilled inside.

It was amazing to see his brother, to talk to him and slip right back into their stupid antics of four years earlier. Yet Niel couldn’t help but notice all the new things. All the things that Adam had picked up and learnt without him. He realised he had missed so much of his younger brother’s life.

It left him with such bitter resentment. It was one more thing his parents had taken from him.

But Adam was here. Adam had known that Niel would take him in at 2am. There was something hopeful about that. Something that his parents could never crush out of either of them.

“We’ll set the air mattress up for you this time,” Chanhee said as he cleared plates away. “If you wash the dishes, we’ll get the table cleared away and a bed set up.”

“Yesum.” Adam stood and moved to the kitchen without hesitation. “Thanks for letting me stay.”

“You’re always welcome.” Chanhee smiled at him.

Minsu took Niel’s hand across the table, twining their fingers together tightly. Niel gave them a little shake from side to side.

“I’m coming with you tomorrow,” Minsu said, voice low.

“You don’t—” Niel began but stopped as he caught Minsu’s face. It was stern and serious, brows low and direct.

“It wasn’t an offer. I don’t want you going there without me.”

“OK.” Niel gave a slow smile and a nod. “Thank you.”

With a small smile, Minsu gave his own nod back and stood. He went to begin drying up as Adam washed.

Niel and Chanhee shifted the table, spreading the mattress and getting to work. Beneath the sound of the air pump, they could hear the two in the kitchen talking.

“Thanks for sticking up for me,” Adam said, trying to sound nonchalant. Niel grinned, they were both too awkward to play anything cool.

“No problem.” Minsu sounded so gruff that Niel and Chanhee exchanged a knowing look. He was such a softy inside.

“Cool tattoos.”

“Thanks.”

Niel and Chanhee shared another look, laughing quietly together as they pulled bedding from the linen cupboard.

“Where did you get ‘em?” Adam asked.

“A friend of mine owned a shop. I don’t see him anymore. But that’s where I got my first ones done. These days its way easier to find a place to get them done.” Minsu turned his arms here and there to show the complete set off.

Adam looked with interest, eyes flickering to Minsu’s face now and then.

“Niel said something before…”

Minsu gave a quiet laugh and shot Niel a look across the room.

“Yeah. I might know a little more about your situation than most,” Minsu said, turning his attention back to Adam.

“What do you think I should do?” Adam bent his neck to the dishes.

“Well, first you need to ask the right question. Stop asking other people what they want you to do. Stop trying to ask what’s going to piss your parents off the most. And ask yourself, what do you want?” Minsu stacked the dry mugs into the cupboard and leaned his hip on the bench. “You’ll never figure out what to do until you figure out why you’re gonna do it.”

“What I want?” Adam sighed. “I want to move out. I hate it in that house.”

“OK. And what do you need to do that?” Minsu pressed.

“Money? A job?”

“Exactly. So there’s your plan. Get a job and find a place to live.” Minsu gave a shrug and continued to dry plates.

Chanhee and Niel smiled, tucking the last blankets into the mattress and retreating to the couch.

“Is that what you did?” Adam asked.

“No. I ed up way better than you did.” Minsu laughed a little. “I actually made it to initiation. I pulled out at the last second.”

“Holy !” Adam dropped the pan he was scrubbing and glanced over to where Niel and Chanhee were snuggled on the couch. “Is he ing with me?”

“Language,” Chanhee chided, eyes dancing.

“He’s telling the truth,” Niel said, giving a hitched smile.

“What? Seriously? You were almost in a gang?” Adam gave up all pretence of washing up and merely gaped at Minsu instead.

“Yeah. My mum got really sick right before. I decided I didn’t want her last memory of me to be joining a gang,” Minsu said.

There was a hushed pause. Niel took Chanhee’s hand and twitched their fingers together.

“She’s fine now.” Minsu continued with a smile. “But it was the wake up call I needed.”

Adam’s face seemed to close as he became wrapped up in his own thoughts. Minsu gave a barely perceptible nod and moved off to the bedroom.

For the rest of the evening, even as they played games and joked around, Adam stayed subdued.

Niel paused by the mattress on the floor, looking down at where Adam was laying. He gave a strained smile and a sigh.

“Hey,” Niel said, he slowly lowered himself to the floor and leaned onto his knee.

“Yo,” Adam gave a sigh himself and set his eyes onto Niel.

“So I don’t have any classes tomorrow, we’ll head over in the morning because they’re definitely going to use it against us if we don’t,” Niel said, his stomach setting into a solid mass of discomfort. “You, me and Minsu will go. And I won’t let them walk all over you.”

Adam stayed silent, his face a mask of stone. Niel gave a small quirk of his lips and moved to get up again.

“I don’t want to go back there,” Adam said, voice small.

Niel slumped back to the floor with a short sigh. He nodded gravely.

“I know. I don’t particularly want to go back or send you back either,” Niel said. He rubbed the back of his neck and tugged at his own hair a little. “But I don’t see a different option.”

Silence stretched.

“Can I come back?” Adam gave half a smile.

For a moment all the maturity and growth was stripped from them both. Niel felt he was a teenager again, his kid brother in trouble for something stupid and needing someone in his corner.

“I would be more pissed off if you didn’t,” Niel smiled a little back.

“Cool.” Adam sighed. “I’m gonna find a job. I’m not just going to stay there and take it anymore.”

Niel’s smile grew genuine and he punched Adam’s leg.

“Good. Now get some sleep,” Niel said. He stood again and gave Adam a last smile.

“Night, bro.”

“Night.”

=====

The sun was barely colouring the horizon when Niel woke the following morning. He gave a soft sigh and stared at the ceiling. He couldn’t stop his fears of the day ahead from rushing through him like a torrent. He hadn’t spoken to his parents in almost four years. He hadn’t seen them for almost five. After all that time he had built them up into a strange entity in his mind. They were no longer just people but an idea that carried the weight of sadness and anger.

“You OK?” Chanhee said, voice soft in the dim light.

“I mean…” Niel gave a sigh.

“No.” They said in unison.

“You wanna talk about it?” Chanhee Niel’s hair lightly.

“It’s just… nerve wracking.” Niel rolled to face him, pillowing his head on his hand. “It’s been years.”

“It has,” Chanhee said with a slow nod. “But you’re not a 19 year old kid anymore. And you won’t be alone this time.”

Niel nodded, letting some of the torrential fear leak out.

“I wish I could come along, but we all know that’s a bad idea,” Chanhee gave a knowing smile.

“Yes.” Niel grinned back. “For so many reasons, that's a bad idea.”

The highest on Niel’s list of why it was a bad idea was that Chanhee had been fortunate enough to never really encounter any bigotry, Niel was not about to put him square in the firing line.

“You’ll be OK. Minsu will be there with you and you’re doing the right thing. Adam needs someone in his corner,” Chanhee said. “If he’s left to weather this by himself, I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to bring him back from that.”

“That’s what I keep telling myself too,” Niel nodded. He closed his eyes and tried to still his mind. Everything would be just fine.

Chanhee ran his hands through Niel’s hair once more, him back into a doze.

=====

The house was almost exactly the way Niel remembered it. The white exterior so severe in the bright sunlight, with its blocky lines and dark windows. Green lawns and miniature juniper trees in pots flanked the wide wooden door. He knew to others it looked impressive, clean and expensive, but to him it was nothing but a place of misery.

They parked on the street and took a moment to sit in silence. Niel was the first to make a move. He opened the door and climbed from the car. A heavy throb of dread settled into his stomach. Adam gave him a look of pure fear and they walked to the front door together. Minsu trailed behind them, his face already set in a frown.

With a quick knock on the black wood, Adam stepped back to wait. Niel wished he could hold Minsu’s hand. Instead he took a deep breath and clenched his fists.

The door swung in. His mother was just as he recalled. Her hair swept back in an elegant up-do and makeup perfect. He caught the small crows feet by her eyes, and the deepened frown marks by .

She couldn’t stop her shock registering on her face. Niel hoped his own was passive and blank.

“Where have you been!” She turned away from Niel and dragged Adam into the house by the wrist. “Your father and I have been worried sick!”

Adam let himself be dragged into the house and to the loungeroom. Niel and Minsu followed, silent. Marcus was waiting in the loungeroom, standing by the window that overlooked the backyard.

“I am so disappointed in you! Your brother has been manic trying to get you home. I don’t understand where this ungrateful attitude has come from. We raised you better than this.” Her tirade was neverending.

Adam stood and endured it, face meek and eyes downcast.

“What have I ever done wrong to make you such a disappointment.”

“Enough,” Niel found his voice. A roar of anger and disgust rose through his entire body but he held it at bay. “He’s back home now. He came to see me for his graduation and I have brought him back, as I said I would.”

She finally turned her eyes to him, they glinted with disdain. Adam took a step back from her, aligning himself beside Niel.

“You have no right to see him,” she said. “You are no longer part of this family.”

“I’m well aware.” Niel clenched his fists, not backing down. “But he is still my younger brother and I want to know he is safe and happy.”

“He will be if you stay away from him.” She let her eyes flick to Minsu and away once more. “I don’t want you in this house.”

“Adam has made his choices, Niel,” Marcus said, stepping forward. “You can’t protect him from the consequences.”

“The consequences in this family are unbalanced. You have such high expectations that we have no choice but to disappoint you,” Niel said, his voice becoming impassioned.

“There is disappointment and then there is blatant flouting of family values!” Her voice rose into fury. “A disappointment I could handle. But this,” twisted. “This is beyond forgiving.”

“And so will you toss another son away, mother?” Niel snapped. His chest was heaving now. “Will you push another child out the door because you can’t stand to see anyone exist in a way that is outside your narrow idea of what is right?”

“Do not speak to me of this, Ahn Daniel! I never made you leave! You left us!” She waved a hand at him.

“Is that what you tell yourself? Does it make you feel better to think of it that way? It wasn’t your fault that your vitriolic hate of everything that I am drove me out of this family!? It wasn’t your fault that Adam felt no option but to be the disappointment you made him out to be?” Niel was yelling now but he couldn’t seem to stop. “How nice it must be to live in your ivory tower, unaware that your own family would rather fling themselves from the battlements than stand a moment longer with you!”

A hand closed over his shoulder and Niel breathed hard. He took a step back, feeling Minsu’s calm settle his anger once more.

His mother was frozen in place, her face a mask of hurt and anger. Marcus stepped between them, hands up in a peace-making gesture.

“Niel, you’ve brought Adam home. I think it’s time you and your friend leave,” Marcus said.

“There is one more thing first,” Minsu spoke, his baritone voice even. “Adam.” Minsu gave him a nod of encouragement.

While Niel’s mother looked ready to explode that Minsu had even spoken, she turned to Adam instead.

“I…” Adam took a deep breath and began again. “I won’t be seeing those friends again. I know thats not the right path for me. But neither is being academic. I’m going to get a job and start earning money. When I have enough saved I’m going to move out.” He fidgeted his fingers together. “I’m not going to apply for university. But I am sorry that I have worried you with my actions the last year.”

Marcus pressed his lips together but remained mute. Their mother gave a long sigh and her eyes found Niel for a bare instant.

“OK,” she said, voice weary. “You’re grounded for the next month and a half. But you can apply for jobs and not university. And you can formally apologise to your father when he returns.”

“Yes, mum.” Adam bowed his head and stilled.

Niel gave a small sigh and nodded. Satisfied they weren’t going to kick Adam out of the house or lock him in the basement, Niel gave a curt nod and turned. Without another word he led Minsu back to the entryway and out of the house.

They were retreating down the driveway when a voice called to him.

“Niel!” Marcus jogged the distance between them, his perfect hair coming unstuck as he did so. “Thank you.”

“For what?” Niel asked, eyes guarded.

“For bringing him back,” Marcus said.

“Yes, well, kidnapping isn’t high on my to-do list.” Niel took Minsu’s hand into his.

“I… I wasn’t really going to…” Marcus had the presence of mind to look sheepish.

“Well, think about the fact that I believed you so easily and what that might mean,” Niel said and began to turn away.

“Niel,” Marcus caught him again. “She really doesn’t mean to…”

“And yet she still does.” Niel gave him a bitter smile. “If you ever find the strength to leave this life, Marcus, my door is open. Even at 2am.”

With a final pitying look, Niel squeezed Minsu’s hand and they walked away.

=====

Niel stared out the window as they drove home. Minsu waited patiently as he drove. He was waiting for Niel to respond. He was waiting for any sort of reaction at all. There was nothing but weighty silence. The last words he had spoken were the words to Marcus.

“You OK?” Minsu asked as they pulled into the apartment building parking.

“I have no idea,” Niel murmured. He turned to Minsu, eyes lost. “Did I do the right thing? Was that OK?”

“You did just fine,” Minsu took his hand and held it tight. “You did amazing.”

“Thanks, for coming with me.” Niel gave a wavering smile. “Thanks for standing up for Adam.”

“We’re family.” Minsu brushed his lips over Niel’s cheek. “Come upstairs. It’s over now.”

Niel nodded slowly. With mechanical movements he opened the door and followed Minsu to the elevator.

As they pushed into the apartment, Minsu exhaled in relief as Niel giggled helplessly.

In the middle of the lounge their couch was draped with blankets and sheets. Chairs and brooms held them aloft and soft light glowed from within. Chanhee poked his head out of the blanket fort and smiled.

“Welcome home,” Chanhee said, crawling out and coming to pull Niel to his chest tight.

“You made a fort,” Niel’s voice was thick.

“I thought you might need something to escape to when you got home,” Chanhee said.

“I love you so much.” Niel began to sob.

Minsu pressed against him from behind, kissing his hair and shushing him. It was rare to see him cry, it sent a stinging pain deep into Minsu as he held the three of them together and let Niel cry.

When the sobs began to abate a little, Chanhee leaned up and kissed Minsu’s cheek in greeting. They shared a look of affection and appreciation, eyes sparkling at one another. Chanhee took Niel’s hand and led him to the blanket fort, hustling him into the pile of pillows and climbing in behind him. Minsu squeezed himself in, careful not to topple the structural broom beside him. They settled into a tangle on the floor, the slow hitching sobs finally petering out all together.

=====

“Can you please get some clothes on, Adam is going to be here any second!” Chanhee snipped as Minsu became distracted at the table. He was shirtless from the June heat and doodling on the back of an envelope.

“Here,” Niel brought Minsu’s shirt to him and forced it over his head. “Now you’re dressed.”

“Thank you.” Chanhee and Minsu said in two rather different tones.

Niel gave a laugh and rolled his eyes.

There was a knock on the door and Chanhee gave Minsu a victorious look as he opened it. The look dropped away immediately as Adam gave him a bashful smile. Standing behind him, face pinched with fear, was Marcus.

“Hey stupids,” Niel called, grinning as he waved them into the apartment.

Adam’s grin turned genuine and he stepped inside. Marcus lingered a moment on the threshold, hands wringing.

“You’re letting the cold air out,” Niel said.

“Sorry,” Marcus stepped in.

“Whatever.” Niel gave a shrug and a lopsided smile. “You want some coffee?”

 

==========

A/N: HI! This is way more drama than I usually write for these three but this story came to me and wouldn't let me go.

I changed Niel's brother's names because I felt a little weird about using their real names for a story like this.

OK, anyway, love you bye!