Sleep

Triptych

“Someone remind me to pay my phone bill tomorrow,” Chanhee mumbled as they all finally ran out of things to say.

“Pay your phone bill.” Minsu’s voice was weary on Chanhee’s right. He was laying like a corpse and often slept like the dead. 

“Tomorrow.” Chanhee rolled his eyes and then closed them.

“Pay your phone bill tomorrow,” Niel mumbled into Chanhee’s hair. He was squished right against him, holding him tight. 

“Thanks.” Chanhee sighed and smiled. “Goodnight.”

He was used to them and their antics. 

“Goodnight.” Niel pressed a kiss to Chanhee, gave him a last squeeze and then rolled away. He was not a cuddly sleeper. 

Chanhee didn’t mind. He rolled, touching his feet to Niel’s and laying an arm over Minsu. Minsu slept so heavily that Chanhee’s snuggles didn’t bother him at all. 

“Goodnight,” Minsu rumbled. 

Chanhee took a few deep breaths. He scratched his nose, rubbed his eye and then replaced the quilt over his shoulders. He gripped Niel’s toes with his own and released them. He began running through his day, checking off the things he achieved and what still needed to be done. He moved on to thinking about the next day and what he wanted to do. 

This was his usual nighttime activity. The other two would drop off to sleep and he would curate his week ahead, think about people he needed to text and appointments to be made. When that finally ran dry, his mind conjured sweet things to think about. For that evening it was a beach trip with Niel and Minsu. He would love to go to the beach. 

Minsu gave a great sigh beside him. It drew Chanhee out of his mind and back into the bedroom. Minsu’s feet twitched, tugging at the quilt a little as they did. After a beat, he rolled and faced away from Chanhee. 

Chanhee let him slide beneath his arm, eyes coming open to stare at the back of Minsu’s head. It was weird. Minsu was almost always first asleep. Slowly, as though Minsu might jump up and begin tap dancing, Chanhee’s eyes slid closed again and returned to the beach. 

They hadn’t made it far down the sand when Minsu sighed again and rolled back to lay flat. Chanhee’s eyes flicked open. Minsu was scowling at the ceiling. 

Chanhee gave him a gentle squeeze. Minsu turned, his eyes were wide open.

“You OK?” Chanhee whispered.

“I can’t sleep.” Minsu’s voice vibrated through his arm. 

“I wasn’t even halfway there yet.” Chanhee gave a helpless, breathy laugh. “Maybe you should try a little harder.”

“Mm.” Minsu nodded and returned to his corpse position. 

For the third time, Chanhee closed his eyes and conjured a beach. He had reached the water’s edge when Minsu’s feet began to pedal impatiently. 

“Sorry,” Minsu whispered. His feet stilled. 

“It’s fine.” Chanhee shifted, moving away and closer to Niel so each movement Minsu made wouldn’t keep him awake.

Minsu followed him, coming up to spoon him with a sigh. 

“I can’t sleep without you touching me,” Minsu rumbled. 

Chanhee let out another small laugh. 

“Truly?” He asked quietly. He rolled over to look at Minsu. “I thought you didn’t even notice me there.”

“I notice.” Minsu smiled, giving Chanhee a kiss.

“Why are you two still awake?” Niel’s voice was heavy with sleep.

“Sorry, baby,” Minsu said, “I can’t sleep.”

“Why is that my problem?” Niel sighed. He shifted and resettled.

Chanhee laughed again. 

“Do you want us to get up?” Chanhee asked. He knew he wouldn’t sleep now. It would take him a whole rerun of his usual routine to even get close. 

“No.” The voice was sulky. “I can’t sleep in an empty bed.”

Chanhee smiled indulgently. 

“Just kick Minsu out.” Niel’s voice was sly. 

“Now I’m gonna stay awake just to spite you.” Minsu reached over and tugged a lock of Niel’s hair.

“Ah!” Niel turned over and snuggled into Chanhee once more. “Now I have to start all over again. You woke me up.”

“Start what over?” Minsu asked. 

Chanhee was smooshed between them, which he enjoyed immensely, except that he was beginning to overheat. 

“My sleep routine,” Niel said. 

Chanhee thrashed, throwing his arm out from the covers. 

“You OK?” Minsu looked startled. 

“Hot!” Chanhee pushed the blanket away. 

“Yeah, you are.” Niel squeezed him. 

“No. Hot and sweaty hot.” Chanhee complained. 

“Now we’re all awake,” Minsu mused and scooted away from Chanhee, holding his hand instead. 

“This is all your fault,” Niel complained. 

“I know.” Minsu paused. “Sorry.”

Niel and Chanhee laughed. 

“Nielie, I really am overheating,” Chanhee said apologetically as he sat up and waved his hands in front of his face.

Niel made sad noises and then gave a frustrated huff as he sat up as well. He floofed his hair and climbed from the bed. 

“Now I have to pee.” He stomped out of the bedroom. 

“What’s a sleep routine?” Minsu asked, still laying flat with an amused look on his face. 

“I guess he means what he does to put himself to sleep.” Chanhee smiled and shook his head. They weren’t going to sleep any time soon. He pulled his legs into a tailor seat and toyed with Minsu’s hand.

“What do you mean?” Minsu repeated, his face confused. 

Niel returned, climbing onto the bed and laying his cool hands over Chanhee’s neck and forehead. 

“Ahh, thank you, baby,” Chanhee sighed with relief. “You don’t have things you do before you fall asleep?” Chanhee asked Minsu. He leaned into Niel. 

“I lay down and close my eyes.” Minsu shrugged. “What do you do?”

“God.” Chanhee laughed, tugging at Minsu’s arm with amused frustration. “I wish I could do that.”

Niel laid his chin on Chanhee’s shoulder. “I have to talk to you two. Say goodnight. Hear it back. Then I kiss Chanhee.” His arms fell to Chanhee’s waist instead. “I roll over, we touch feet, and then I can sleep.”

“I don’t get a goodnight kiss.” Minsu frowned heavily. He sat up. “I want a goodnight kiss.”

Niel puckered his lips for Minsu to kiss.

“There you go,” Niel said as Minsu pulled back again. 

“No! I want one every night,” Minsu complained, pressing his head into Chanhee’s chest. “That’s not fair.”

“You wanna sleep in the middle, darling?” Chanhee asked, Minsu’s hair and squishing his cheeks between his palms. 

“He can’t sleep in the middle. It will throw out my routine.” Niel’s tone was serious but teasing.

Choosing to ignore Niel all together, Minsu looked up at Chanhee. 

“What’s your routine?”  He asked.

“God, mine is long. I chat, we say goodnight. Niel finishes his cuddles and rolls over.” Chanhee kissed Niel’s cheek. “Then—” Niel made begging noises and Chanhee kissed his lips this time. “—then I roll over and cuddle you while you sleep. Then I think about my day for a while. Then I think about what I need to do tomorrow. I think about texting Byunghun because we haven’t had a chance to talk in weeks. I think about that smear of toothpaste on the bathroom mirror that’s been driving me crazy but I never remember to clean.”

Minsu and Niel laughed at him. Kisses pressed into his neck and his chest. 

“Then I have finally emptied out my brain enough and I just…” Chanhee’s voice trailed away. They didn’t need to know any more than that.

“Just what?” 

“Y’know, think calming thoughts.” Chanhee’s cheeks pinked. 

“That sounds like a lot.” Minsu gave a sympathetic sigh.

Niel leaned away slowly. “What are your calming thoughts?”

“Y’know. Just. Thoughts.” Chanhee felt himself warming again. 

Minsu’s head popped up, his smile wide. “Why did your heart just thump really loud?” Minsu asked. He traded a look with Niel.

“Are they naughty thoughts?” Niel gasped like a scandalised old lady.

“No!” Chanhee said quickly. “I mean, not often. And when they are I wake you up.”

They laughed and nodded with satisfaction. 

“So what do you think about?” Minsu asked. He slid back down onto the bed. 

Chanhee gave a squeamish noise. Niel smiled wider, eyes expectant as he waited. 

“Why don’t you wanna tell us?” He said after Chanhee stayed quiet. 

“It’s embarrassing.” Chanhee wriggled away, leaning against the headboard. 

Now he could see both of them staring at him with wide eyes and sweet expressions. 

“It’s us.” Minsu’s voice was gentle. He Chanhee’s leg.

“Ah fine.” Chanhee squeezed his eyes shut so he couldn’t see them. “I think about things that make me happy. Like going to the beach with you two. Or living in an extravagantly large house with you two. Y’know. Stuff like that,” he mumbled to a stop. 

There was no reply. Chanhee peeked an eye open to find the pair of him giving him adoring looks. He closed his eyes again. 

“You’re so cute,” Minsu mumbled, he struggled up next to Chanhee and hugged him. 

“We should go to the beach,” Niel mused. He stretched out, laying his head in Chanhee’s lap. 

Chanhee gave a puff of laughter and laced his fingers into Niel’s hair. 

“Mmm.” Minsu kissed Chanhee and melted back onto the mattress. “I’m tired.”

“Finally,” Chanhee said. 

There was a shuffling of bodies as they returned to the bed properly. 

“Minsu.” Niel propped himself up and looked over Chanhee’s head. 

“Mm?” Minsu was already half-asleep again. 

“You want your kiss or not?” Niel laughed.

“I want it!” Minsu lurched up. 

Chanhee watched as they traded kisses above his head. 

“Goodnight, baby,” Minsu mumbled close to Niel’s lips.

“Goodnight.” Niel gave him one last kiss and settled down beside Chanhee. 

“Goodnight.” Minsu kissed Chanhee on his way back to the pillow once more. 

“Goodnight.” Chanhee couldn’t help but giggle. 

“You should imagine I’m a world famous author.” Niel mumbled. He squeezed Chanhee, kissed his hair and rolled away.

Chanhee grinned. He slipped his arm over Minsu, pressed his feet against Niel’s and sighed. 

Minsu’s breath was deep and even, already asleep despite his earlier insomnia. Niel shifted a little and slowly his breath joined the calm ambiance of the room. Chanhee smiled, his eyes closed as he finally returned to his tropical island. Within minutes, he was asleep.

 

 

=============================

 

A/N: Nah I don't know when I'll stop. Just enjoy the cute cuties